[Released] Environment Set Splitter * Commercial *

12346»

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,525

"Have you ever wished that some of the greatest environments in the store came with all included props neatly packed into a folder?"

It does exactly that, split out each prop.

It stays that way, I threw money out the window. Too bad.

Daz has a 30 days return policy 

• And yet, I would have liked to know before buying what the program can and cannot do. Well, let's leave that. That's the way it is. Greetings, Manfred Frank

• edited January 2023

Problem solved .

Bought a new PC and it worked like a charm.

Greetings

Post edited by fusskuss_de_7b3de57064 on
  • jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 482
    edited April 2023

I bought Environment Set Splitter yesterday and took my first tentative steps with it today.  It very nicely split a small Poser cr2 file into its separate elements.  At first, I ended up splitting to my Poser library and then couldn’t find it in my Daz Studio library.  I eventually tracked down the files in my Poser library.  On my second attempt, I got the split files into my Daz Studio library and they show up in my Content Library.

Since there is no Undo feature in Environment Set Splitter, if I end up with the split files in the wrong directory or wrong library, can I use either of the following two options to correct the situation?

1. Manually delete the /data folder created and the split props folder and run ESS again.
    2. Manually move the split props folder to the desired location.

Also, what is the purpose/use of the SplitEngine script?  It's not mentioned in the manual.

Loving the product.  Thanks much!

Post edited by jjoyner on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,952
    edited April 2023

jjoyner said:

I bought Environment Set Splitter yesterday and took my first tentative steps with it today.  It very nicely split a small Poser cr2 file into its separate elements.  At first, I ended up splitting to my Poser library and then couldn’t find it in my Daz Studio library.  I eventually tracked down the files in my Poser library.  On my second attempt, I got the split files into my Daz Studio library and they show up in my Content Library.

Since there is no Undo feature in Environment Set Splitter, if I end up with the split files in the wrong directory or wrong library, can I use either of the following two options to correct the situation?

1. Manually delete the /data folder created and the split props folder and run ESS again.
    2. Manually move the split props folder to the desired location.

Also, what is the purpose/use of the SplitEngine script?  It's not mentioned in the manual.

Loving the product.  Thanks much!

Yes to both solutions. The SplitEngine script is required by the ES Splitter script, and not meant for use by the user. That's why it is in the Resources folder with a no entry icon.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on

Thanks for answering @drjellybean.
    The SplitEngine is the backend code that runs the splitting. The reasons to split a product up in two parts, frontend and backend are many, but mostly it has to do with development.
    (1) Scripts larger than 4-5k lines of code tend to be painful to edit in the Studio script editor as it lags a lot
    (2) Testing automated without having to click through the GUI for every test of the actual engine code can be done by gathering the data from the front end, once, then pass that to the back end over and over, saves a lot of development time, when you split 200-300 times a day while developing.

And great to hear that you like the product

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 482

Thanks, gents.

• Just downloaded, quick read the manual and searched this post, but despite the correct Item Splitting (the script load, work, split and get spawned correctly) I have no preview Image of the props/architectures;

tried with Black Crow Inn and Druid Grove.

Am I doing something wrong? Forgot something?

• ElorElor Posts: 714
    edited December 2023

Hello,

I have two questions about this useful product:

1/ If I'm still using Daz 4.21.0.5, does updating to the version correcting Daz 4.22 thumbnails problem will have any negative impact on my situation ?

2/ The Hellenic Agora Sets (1 and 2) are using bones to hide or show the various elements of each set, which prevents ES from splitting them. Is it something that ES could do or is it even possible to do it manually ?

agora.jpg
    340 x 305 - 15K
    Post edited by Elor on

Elor said:

Hello,

I have two questions about this useful product:

1/ If I'm still using Daz 4.21.0.5, does updating to the version correcting Daz 4.22 thumbnails problem will have any negative impact on my situation ?

2/ The Hellenic Agora Sets (1 and 2) are using bones to hide or show the various elements of each set, which prevents ES from splitting them. Is it something that ES could do or is it even possible to do it manually ?

(1) The fix should not effect DS 4.21.0.5 (there was an error in the documentation, something had changed in some early DS version that was not updated)
    (2) It cannot split things that are part of a mesh (bones are parts of a mesh, with different parts of the mesh bound to bones), it can only split sets which consists of a lot of separated items in one scene.

Thank you for your answers yes

Hello,

From what I can see (hopefully, I'm not making a mistake), the .duf files generated by ESS are not compressed and I don't see an option to change this behavior. Is there a reason not to compress .duf files ?

Another question: I'm named as the author of the props generated by ESS. Is it possible to have an option to keep the existing author of the scene file splitted ? I can change my author name before using ESS, but having an option would be more convenient and reduce the risk I'm forgetting to switch it (and I wouldn't have to switch back to my own after using ESS).

Elor said:

Hello,

From what I can see (hopefully, I'm not making a mistake), the .duf files generated by ESS are not compressed and I don't see an option to change this behavior. Is there a reason not to compress .duf files ?

Another question: I'm named as the author of the props generated by ESS. Is it possible to have an option to keep the existing author of the scene file splitted ? I can change my author name before using ESS, but having an option would be more convenient and reduce the risk I'm forgetting to switch it (and I wouldn't have to switch back to my own after using ESS).

(1) I haven't figured out how you compress the dufs, or actuallyhow to tell DS to compress the dufs when running the export faceless, without having the user to click for every item.
    (2) The reason is to avoid any kind of "future" collisions, if the original PA happens to release something and put than in his own PA folder under /data. The Author is is the name of the folder under data where the items are stored. Its /data/<PA Name>/<Product>.
    If I put the original PA name there, the risk is that that PA makes something that later will collide with the converted/split things you do.

edited January 20

1/ Clicking for every item would indeed get old very fast.

But if there is no other technical reason, I'll let loose a Bash script I just wrote on the innocent duf files create by ESS to gzip all of them angel (I'm sure it would make for famous last words, but it should work: it's just a batch version of a script unziping or gziping any .duf files in a directory I wrote to be able to fix freebies) (the files generated by ESS are stored in another library: I don't touch the library managed by DIM to avoid any problem here).

2/ I didn't think about that problem, but it would indeed by a big one, and would also not be great for the support team overwhelmed with reports due to splitted environments conflicting with new products.

Thank you for you answers smiley

Post edited by Elor on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203

Daz Studio has a built in capability to compress duf files. Use the Batch Convert tab. Just drag and drop the whole bunch of duf files into the pane. You don't have to run a separate external script to do it. (You can, of  course if you prefer.)

Thank you, I didn't know that smiley

I'll keep it in mind as an alternative for another time, because my script already did its job: everything seems to be fine so far, and I reclaimed a significant amount of storage (I also let the script do its job on all the freebies I installed).

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203

I should mention that the Batch Convert tab can also uncompress, in case you need to edit one of those duf files to correct something sometime.