Questions about MetaMixer--Plus

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

I'll give that (Using both MetaMiixer and MetaMixer Plus) a try next time. I didn't realize I could use MetaMixer on a character without mixing A,B,C widgets.

I probably should have dialed in the standard Edie 8 Nose Small before I started working on the very long default Edie 8 nose.

• PraxisPraxis Posts: 240

Faux2D said:

I just checked. I did not include it in the package but I did send it in as a readme file. The pdf probably got lost along the way.

Download link for the PDF for future reference: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/29242f12ef2cc0239d8d899f1fb3921920220921125821/cfbacb09fcf1aeb329f1707e0b2ff07120220921125835/b229d1

You can download the .PDF  from the Documentation Center page: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/86112/start

Direct link: http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/86112/86112_metamixer--plus.pdf

Praxis said:

Faux2D said:

I just checked. I did not include it in the package but I did send it in as a readme file. The pdf probably got lost along the way.

Download link for the PDF for future reference: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/29242f12ef2cc0239d8d899f1fb3921920220921125821/cfbacb09fcf1aeb329f1707e0b2ff07120220921125835/b229d1

You can download the .PDF  from the Documentation Center page: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/86112/start

Direct link: http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/86112/86112_metamixer--plus.pdf

They must have very recently added it.yes I could not find any PDF there when I looked yesterday. I'm glad it is now in a handy place to find it again, after I forget where I put it after downlloading from the forum link.blush

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,218

barbult said:

I'll give that (Using both MetaMiixer and MetaMixer Plus) a try next time. I didn't realize I could use MetaMixer on a character without mixing A,B,C widgets.

I probably should have dialed in the standard Edie 8 Nose Small before I started working on the very long default Edie 8 nose.

im sure many other people might not realise this either.  This is what i referred to in my previous post when i mentioned the 'metamixer' name is kind of a misnomer, since you can just use powerpose without mixing to morph the figure from their default shape. 

• Faux2D said:

Thank you :-)

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,088

Well, here's my situation on a Macintosh, running OS 12.6 and DAZ Studio 4.20.0.17: The first screen shot shows how the mesh ruptures with even a slight movement of the ear lobe. Then, DAZ Studio locks up completely. The second screen shot shows that the only way out of this is to "Force Quit" DAZ Studio. So, this product does not work for me. Is anyone else using this product on a Macintosh? It sounds like a fine idea, but it's terrible just trying to get it to work.

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 12.36.09 PM.png
    1591 x 1014 - 1M
    Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 12.37.07 PM.png
    358 x 316 - 41K

Question for the Creator: Do you think you can adjust this MetaMixer Plus product so that it will work on a Macintosh? I like what you're trying to do. I'm not at all trying to bash your product. But just to demonstrate that I do know how to use MetaMixer, here are two screen shots. The first is the head I was trying to adjust to look like an actor, without using MetaMixer. The second is the head adjusted with MetaMixer, but not MetaMixer Plus, because MetaMixer Plus stalls my computer and tears the mesh, no matter how slightly I try to adjust a bit of the face by moving a dot ever so slightly. As you can see, I adjusted the earlobes, a bit of the jaw and face line, and the eyes. MetaMixer worked without stalling the computer and with no tearing of the mesh. (Using a Macintosh Pro, late 2013 model, OS 12.6, and DAZ Studio 4.20.0.17)

I would hate to return the product, so I'm hoping to hear that you believe you can modify the product to get it to work on a Macintosh. If not, OK, no problem, but please do let me know.

Without MetaMixer.png
    725 x 865 - 968K
    With MetaMixer Changes.png
    725 x 865 - 973K
    edited September 2022

@Inquire Did you remember to remove the eyelashes (and tear is applicable to the generation you are using)? For some reason leaving those on the model causes tremendous slowdown of MetaMixer. The need to remove eyelashes is in the metaMixer PDF and video tutorial.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited September 2022

Right. I did remember. In fact, I reread the MetaMixer PDF before I used MetaMixer today. Thanks for reminding me, though. What I'm sorry about is that the MetaMixer Plus doesn't work for me. Maybe it was written (the Plus addon) on a PC. I hope the creator can get it working on a Macintosh.

Post edited by inquire on
  • Faux2DFaux2D Posts: 452

inquire said:

Question for the Creator: Do you think you can adjust this MetaMixer Plus product so that it will work on a Macintosh? I like what you're trying to do. I'm not at all trying to bash your product. But just to demonstrate that I do know how to use MetaMixer, here are two screen shots. The first is the head I was trying to adjust to look like an actor, without using MetaMixer. The second is the head adjusted with MetaMixer, but not MetaMixer Plus, because MetaMixer Plus stalls my computer and tears the mesh, no matter how slightly I try to adjust a bit of the face by moving a dot ever so slightly. As you can see, I adjusted the earlobes, a bit of the jaw and face line, and the eyes. MetaMixer worked without stalling the computer and with no tearing of the mesh. (Using a Macintosh Pro, late 2013 model, OS 12.6, and DAZ Studio 4.20.0.17)

I do not have a Mac to test it on.

Could you please load in a new Genesis 8.1 figure, then run MetaMixer Setup, then MetaMixer PLUS, then search for "sym_Cheek_F", then select it, then change the X Translate value to 1000. You should see an effect like the attached image. If not tell me what happens.

yhh.jpg
    1907 x 1026 - 676K
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

barbult said:

I made this mod from Edie 8 with MetaMixer Plus. I had a real hard time with the nose. I couldn't find any MetaMixer Plus dots that would work on the center of anything. Everything was left or right. I wanted to lift the center of her nose tip, but couldn't find a way to do it.
    This render is using Alexandra 8 materials instead of Edie 8 Materials.

Cool character!

Very interesting thread! I thought metamixer was about posing I didn't realise you could create characters.

A couple of questions, is it possible to save what you create as a morph or do you save them as shape presets?

Can you release the characters you create as freebies or even a product in a store?

MetaMixer has a way of saving it as a shaping preset. I did adjust rigging to shape and ERC freeze to a single controller. I don't have any idea about releasing characters or selling. MetaMixer and its morphs are not merchant resources as far as I see, so I would think that if anything, you could only sell presets that dialed in those morphs and the customer would have to own all of them. But that is just a guess.

Thanks Barbult...that would make sense if it's relying on character morphs, I wasn't sure if it was actually letting you move polys like in a modeller.

Pendraia said:

Thanks Barbult...that would make sense if it's relying on character morphs, I wasn't sure if it was actually letting you move polys like in a modeller.

No, it is dialing morphs that he has added.

Thanks, I thought that was what you meant in the last post...

If you want to move polygons in DS, there is Mesh Grabber, but it is not nearly as flexible and powerful as a real modeler.

@FAUX2D: Well, I would say it's not working. I don't see any movement. Here are a few screen shots.

Even if you don't have a Mac, don't these products go in for approval and testing before they are released in Ads to the public? Isn't there someone with a Mac who can at least test if the product works on a Mac? If the product does not work on a Mac, I think it should clearly and boldly state "WINDOWS ONLY."

Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 10.06.12 AM.png
    1550 x 1041 - 777K
    Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 10.07.09 AM.png
    1550 x 1041 - 737K
    Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 10.09.15 AM.png
    1550 x 1041 - 815K

inquire said:

@FAUX2D: Well, I would say it's not working. I don't see any movement. Here are a few screen shots.

Even if you don't have a Mac, don't these products go in for approval and testing before they are released in Ads to the public? Isn't there someone with a Mac who can at least test if the product works on a Mac? If the product does not work on a Mac, I think it should clearly and boldly state "WINDOWS ONLY."

I noticed from your screenshots that MetaMixer is not linked to your Genesis 8.1 figure. Before loading in MetaMixer Toolkit and MetaMixer PLUS the Genesis figure needs to be selected in the scene. If it is not selected MetaMixer loads in without knowing which figure it should be attached to. Try loading it again this time with the Genesis figure selected first. You will know MetaMixer loaded in properly if "MetaMixer Camera" is parented to the Genesis figure. Then try searching for sym_Cheek_F again and tell me what happens when you change its value.

barbult said:

If you want to move polygons in DS, there is Mesh Grabber, but it is not nearly as flexible and powerful as a real modeler.

Yeah there is but I'd much rather play in zbrush than fiddle with it.

Faux2D said:

inquire said:

I noticed from your screenshots that MetaMixer is not linked to your Genesis 8.1 figure. Before loading in MetaMixer Toolkit and MetaMixer PLUS the Genesis figure needs to be selected in the scene. If it is not selected MetaMixer loads in without knowing which figure it should be attached to. Try loading it again this time with the Genesis figure selected first. You will know MetaMixer loaded in properly if "MetaMixer Camera" is parented to the Genesis figure. Then try searching for sym_Cheek_F again and tell me what happens when you change its value.

OK. I deliberately unparented it because I thought that might be causing the problem. I will repeat these procedures, leaving MetaMixer and MetaMixder Plus linked to the Genesis 8.1 figure. Both, by the way, at least on my Macintosh computer, are linked to MetaMixer Camera. I'll get back to you after trying all of this out. Hopefully, MetaMixer Plus will then work.

MetaMixer, by the way, works just fine with the MetaMixer Camera and MetaMixder unparented from the Genesis 8.1 figure.

OK, here's a more complete report. It is working, but only partially. Hopefully, you can get it to work totally, on a Macintosh. I can select a dot in the PowerPose Tab, see it in the Scene Tab, and, in the Parameters Tab, move the X, or even also the Y and Z Translations (but the Rotates don't seem to do anything, the X, Y, and Zs of the Rotates). See the first screen shot. In the next screen shot, you'll see that I've adjusted several features (nose, chin, ears, eyelids, lips, mouth, and I've decreased the amount of bulge in the cheeks). See Several Features Adjusted, screen shot 2. But this is only by moving X, Y, and/or Z Translations in the Parameters Tab. 

In screen shots three and four, you'll see that if I select a dot in the PowerPose Tab, and move it even a little, it produces large tears in the mesh. So, this product would be much more useful to me, and to any other Macintosh user, if I were able to select dots in the PowerPose Tab and move them. I can only guess, from the names of the items in the Scene Tab, what will get moved if I use the Parameters Tab. In other words, if I click on an item in the Scene Tab, no dot will light up in the PowerPose Tab. 

Doesn't anyone there on the DAZ Staff use a Macintosh to test products? Maybe one or more people there can help you. If you do get started working on this, and you want people out here, users, away from the DAZ Staff, I wouldn't mind being one of those testers. As I've said, I do like the idea of the product. I really hope you get it fully working.

Working in a Way.png
    2059 x 1041 - 868K
    Several Featuers Adjusted.png
    780 x 1041 - 531K
    Tearing.png
    780 x 1041 - 498K
    Tearing 2.png
    1212 x 1041 - 695K
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,218

inquire said:

OK, here's a more complete report. It is working, but only partially. Hopefully, you can get it to work totally, on a Macintosh.

Doesn't anyone there on the DAZ Staff use a Macintosh to test products? 

up until this point you were assuming it wasnt working on a Mac, but then you got it to partially work after realising user error. Are you sure your assumption that it doesnt work on Mac still holds and isnt still just user error... 

He needs someone else with a Mac to try it and see if they have the same problem. So far, nobody has come forth. That would help confirm whether it is a Mac problem or user error or system resources, etc.

• And there does come a point where it's mute if it works on other Macs, if it doesn't work on yours, return it. That's okay.

inquire said:

OK, here's a more complete report. It is working, but only partially. Hopefully, you can get it to work totally, on a Macintosh. I can select a dot in the PowerPose Tab, see it in the Scene Tab, and, in the Parameters Tab, move the X, or even also the Y and Z Translations (but the Rotates don't seem to do anything, the X, Y, and Zs of the Rotates). See the first screen shot. In the next screen shot, you'll see that I've adjusted several features (nose, chin, ears, eyelids, lips, mouth, and I've decreased the amount of bulge in the cheeks). See Several Features Adjusted, screen shot 2. But this is only by moving X, Y, and/or Z Translations in the Parameters Tab. 

In screen shots three and four, you'll see that if I select a dot in the PowerPose Tab, and move it even a little, it produces large tears in the mesh. So, this product would be much more useful to me, and to any other Macintosh user, if I were able to select dots in the PowerPose Tab and move them. I can only guess, from the names of the items in the Scene Tab, what will get moved if I use the Parameters Tab. In other words, if I click on an item in the Scene Tab, no dot will light up in the PowerPose Tab. 

Doesn't anyone there on the DAZ Staff use a Macintosh to test products? Maybe one or more people there can help you. If you do get started working on this, and you want people out here, users, away from the DAZ Staff, I wouldn't mind being one of those testers. As I've said, I do like the idea of the product. I really hope you get it fully working.

MetaMixer does work unparented but only if it loads in parented first.

I think we're making some progress in figuring this out. I'm pretty sure there's something up with the MetaMixer PLUS PowerPose template. The controls seem to be very sensitive. I couldn't tell that was happening at first because on your end the polygons just disappear whereas on my machine they just get stretched out. The polygon disappearing has probably something to do with OpenGL on a Mac, like if they're moved past a certain point they don't show up at all.

You can go to the PowerPose template for MetaMixer PLUS -> right click somewhere -> select Edit Mode -> then select a random point -> go to the place at the bottom where it shows the little mouse icons and it had X, Y, Z controls (in Edit Mode these areas become blank) -> right click on the one on the left showing a mouse icon moving left and right (X Translate) -> Edit Control -> a new window should pop-up -> there's a parameter called "Size" and it should be at 10000. Try adding a few zeroes more and see of it changes the sensitivity of the selected Power Pose controller.

lilweep said:

inquire said:

OK, here's a more complete report. It is working, but only partially. Hopefully, you can get it to work totally, on a Macintosh.

Doesn't anyone there on the DAZ Staff use a Macintosh to test products? 

up until this point you were assuming it wasnt working on a Mac, but then you got it to partially work after realising user error. Are you sure your assumption that it doesnt work on Mac still holds and isnt still just user error... 

Well, I keep trying and trying. I've described the steps I've taken. You called something I did "user error." Actually, it was deliberate. I found that MetaMixer itself and the MetaMixer Camera, etc., work whether or not they were parented to the figure. I tried unparenting the whole shebang -- Camera, MetaMixer, MetaMixer Plus -- from the figure to see if MetaMixer Plus would work. At that point, I was concerned with the tearing of the mesh. This is still going on. It is a major problem, as I would have to guess what I was selecting from the Scene Tab were I to use MetaMixer Plus. For, if I select an item in the Scene Tab, the dot on the figure does not light up. Well, I found out that MetaMixer Plus does not work if it is unparented from the figure, but MetaMixer and the rest of the MetaMixer elements and Camera do.

barbult said:

He needs someone else with a Mac to try it and see if they have the same problem. So far, nobody has come forth. That would help confirm whether it is a Mac problem or user error or system resources, etc.

Absolutely. + 1

Catherine3678ab said:

And there does come a point where it's mute if it works on other Macs, if it doesn't work on yours, return it. That's okay.

Right. Except I will return it grieving. 

Faux2D said:

inquire said:

MetaMixer does work unparented but only if it loads in parented first.

I think we're making some progress in figuring this out. I'm pretty sure there's something up with the MetaMixer PLUS PowerPose template. The controls seem to be very sensitive. I couldn't tell that was happening at first because on your end the polygons just disappear whereas on my machine they just get stretched out. The polygon disappearing has probably something to do with OpenGL on a Mac, like if they're moved past a certain point they don't show up at all.

You can go to the PowerPose template for MetaMixer PLUS -> right click somewhere -> select Edit Mode -> then select a random point -> go to the place at the bottom where it shows the little mouse icons and it had X, Y, Z controls (in Edit Mode these areas become blank) -> right click on the one on the left showing a mouse icon moving left and right (X Translate) -> Edit Control -> a new window should pop-up -> there's a parameter called "Size" and it should be at 10000. Try adding a few zeroes more and see of it changes the sensitivity of the selected Power Pose controller.

OK. Let me see if I'm able to do this. I will try again.