Questions about MetaMixer--Plus

Comments

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097

No, I don't think this is any breakthrough. Here are some Screen Shots to let you know what has happened. Screen Shot 1 shows me going into Edit Mode. Screen Shot 2 shows me selecting a point on the nose and with Edit Control on the X Translate adding 5 extra zeros. Screen Shot 3 shows  what trying to move the dot a little to X-Translate, does: it tears the mesh. With Screen Shot 4, I tried again with a point just under the chin: again, it tears the mesh.

1.png
    653 x 716 - 192K
    2.png
    1380 x 1089 - 729K
    3.png
    1380 x 1089 - 824K
    4.png
    1380 x 1089 - 815K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

@Inquire if you render those MetaMixer Plus modified characters with the broken mesh, do they render broken, or is it just a viewport issue?

@Faux2D  PAs HowieFarkes and Code66 (Totte) both develop Daz products on Mac platforms. Perhaps you could ask one of them to do a quick test of your product on a Mac.

You know, I never thought of that. I'm going to try that right now. OK. Here's a quickie render.

Test Torn Mesh.png
    1731 x 1164 - 788K

barbult said:

@Faux2D  PAs HowieFarkes and Code66 (Totte) both develop Daz products on Mac platforms. Perhaps you could ask one of them to do a quick test of your product on a Mac.

@barbult: Thanks for suggesting Mac developers. Maybe this can be solved.

inquire said:

You know, I never thought of that. I'm going to try that right now. OK. Here's a quickie render.

Well, that is good info. I think it eliminates the "OpenGL on a Mac" theory, since even a render shows the problem. Is that an Iray render?

Yep, that is an iRay render.

inquire said:

Yep, that is an iRay render.

I thought so, but wasn't sure. 

If you select G8M and look on the parameters pane at Currently Used, pick one of the used MetaMixer Plus morphs and look at what value it is set to. Is it something reasonable or something ridiculous. I pulled one dot of the cheeks way way out with PowerPose. I looked at morph Move X - l_Cheek_G. It had a value of 1538%, which seems reasonable for this amount of movement.

Screenshot 2022-09-26 142427.jpg
    2411 x 1600 - 396K
    edited September 2022

Well, here are the values. You can probably tell better than I what they mean. For Screen Shot 3: from this point down, they all have this -inf% value. Screen Shots 4 and 5 are the chin values.They aren't large values at all; they seem to be negative.

Screen Shot 1 2022-09-26 at 11.34.25 AM.png
    241 x 219 - 25K
    Screen Shot 2 2022-09-26 at 11.33.33 AM.png
    241 x 219 - 29K
    Screen Shot 3 2022-09-26 at 11.33.03 AM.png
    241 x 219 - 25K
    Screen Shot 4 2022-09-26 at 11.34.04 AM.png
    241 x 219 - 28K
    Screen Shot 5 2022-09-26 at 11.33.21 AM.png
    241 x 219 - 29K
    Post edited by inquire on
  • Faux2DFaux2D Posts: 452

inquire said:

Well, here are the values. You can probably tell better than I what they mean. For Screen Shot 3: from this point down, they all have this -inf% value. Screen Shots 4 and 5 are the chin values.They aren't large values at all; they seem to be negative.

The polygons disappear because they get moved a certain value times that -inf%. I don't think it's a Mac or OpenGL issue per se. Something is causing that -inf% error. It's giving Daz Studio a value it can't handle.

From what you've told us the MetaMixer PLUS morphs work if you're changing the Parameters values directly so it must be a PowerPose issue. Do you get a similar bug when using MetaMixer Toolkit?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,471

Looking at the large dots and having seen a similar effect within a few days, is the character at world center? (x,y,z all zero)

edited September 2022

Since I was trying extreme cheek morph values, I made Butterfly Man.

Butterfly Man_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on

PerttiA said:

Looking at the large dots and having seen a similar effect within a few days, is the character at world center? (x,y,z all zero)

I moved G8M to 10000, 10000, 10000 and MetaMixer Plus worked fine. Dots were not big and movements were normal, as though he were at 0,0,0.

edited September 2022

Faux2D said:

inquire said:

The polygons disappear because they get moved a certain value times that -inf%. I don't think it's a Mac or OpenGL issue per se. Something is causing that -inf% error. It's giving Daz Studio a value it can't handle.

From what you've told us the MetaMixer PLUS morphs work if you're changing the Parameters values directly so it must be a PowerPose issue. Do you get a similar bug when using MetaMixer Toolkit?

The figure is at world zero. I always start with a new scene. Here is someting I just did in MetaMixer, by pulling the dots in PowerPose. No problem there. You can see how the G8.1 M head has been morphed (Screen Shot 1). I'm not sure if you mean "changing the Parameters values directly" in the Parameters Tab. If so, I do not see those values in the Parameters Tab. (See Screen Shot 2.)

Screen Shot 1 2022-09-27 at 9.17.52 AM.png
    501 x 707 - 434K
    Screen Shot 2 2022-09-27 at 9.25.17 AM.png
    706 x 487 - 47K
    edited September 2022

Continuing . . .  Maybe you meant "changing the Parameters values directly" in the PowerPose Tab. So, I tried that. I went to Edit Mode, selected a dot, went to the X Translation icon in the PowerPose Tab, clicked to edit that. Since I've already been working with the head, the value was 30000. I added in 5 zeros: 3000000000. I clicked Accept. Nothing bad happened. (See Screen Shot 3.) In Screen Shot 4, I selected the side of the lower chin, translated it X and Y, and then checked the value in the PowerPose Tab, by clicking Edit Mode and edit again for the X translate Tab. You can see this last value for the chin sides is a 71072.

All along, you can see how the basic G8.1M face changed. There were no problems. So, no, I do not get a similar bug when using thef MetaMixer Toolkit. MetaMixer seems to work well.

And, as you can see from Screen Shot 2, in the post just above this one, I do not get values in the Parameters Tab. The Parameters Tab will just show the one dot that I clicked on. To see the value of any translations that I've made, I would have to use the editing technique that you requested.

Screen Shot 3 2022-09-27 at 9.24.08 AM.png
    1144 x 916 - 534K
    Screen Shot 4 2022-09-27 at 9.28.13 AM.png
    1421 x 981 - 746K

Back here, you did see MetaMixer Plus parameters in the Parameters pane and dialed values manually with success. Do you have the wrong item selected in the Scene pane this time, preventing you from seeing the parameters?

edited September 2022

No, I don't think so. That seems to be a difference between MetaMixer Plus and MetaMixer, at least as they work on my Macintosh. Let me try one more time. As I wrote, above: I'm not sure if you mean "changing the Parameters values directly" in the Parameters Tab. If so, I do not see those values in the Parameters Tab. (See Screen Shot 2.)

Here, in Screen Shot 5, you can see what I get in the Parameters Tab if I select the FC_Eyes in the Power Pose Tab. None of those items show up in the Scene Tab the way they do with MetaMixer Plus. 

All I get in the Scene Tab with MetaMixer is "MetaMixer Widget Root," and below that, "ROOT."

Screen Shot 5 2022-09-27 at 9.51.24 AM.png
    2063 x 981 - 706K

Yes, MetaMixer and MetaMixer Plus are different in that regard in Windows, too. I don't know if there is any significance with that related to your problem or not.

edited September 2022

@Faux2D: Have you been able to contact people who work on add-ons for DAZ Studio, and who do that work on Macintoshes? barbult recommended two such persons above: PAs HowieFarkes and Code66 (Totte) both develop Daz products on Mac platforms. Perhaps you could ask one of them to do a quick test of your product on a Mac. I hope you'll be able to contact one or more such people, and that he, she, or they will be able to help you get MetaMixer Plus working on the Macintosh platform. I hope it's just a simple little issue that won't take long to incorporate into MetaMixer Plus. (I did try to send you a PM, but I couldn't find you listed when I typed your user name in my Inbox messaging.)

edited October 2022

Here's something I discovered playing around with a character in DS, using just the Scene Tab to select the character, and then the Parameters Tab to go to Actor, and below it. I was not using MetaMixer, nor MetaMixer Plus, nor any of the elements, etc. In the Parameters Tab, there is a MetaMixer item, and a PLUS item. Now, do they work? Yes. See the Screen Shots. The first screen shot shows me moving Left Brow A. The second screen shot shows me moving Right Brow A. I played around with the other items as well. They work. There are even the listings for the Character Elements (or, the Heads  that one can place in MetaMixer) and they work.

Now, I would much prefer to be able to move the dots in MetaMixer Plus. But this leads me to wonder if whatever is causing the mesh tearing on a Macintosh when the dots are moved in MetaMixer Plus might just be a relatively small problem. Perhaps it could be easily fixed.

Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 9.34.26 AM.png
    1588 x 1061 - 999K
    Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 9.37.49 AM.png
    1588 x 1061 - 1003K
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,510

hi, (late to the party).

I don't have the plus stuff but I can grab it to see if there is a bug that only manifests in the macOS version. I can also get some analysis of the logs if there is something stupif that fails. I do know that here are some weird differences between how Qt behave between mac and windows.

Totte said:

hi, (late to the party).

I don't have the plus stuff but I can grab it to see if there is a bug that only manifests in the macOS version. I can also get some analysis of the logs if there is something stupif that fails. I do know that here are some weird differences between how Qt behave between mac and windows.

That would be wonderful. Thank you for taking a look.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,510
    edited October 2022

You mean like this?

I don't know it's because I don't know how it's supposed to work, but I found one interesting warning in ther log:

2022-10-03 08:58:19.809 [WARNING] :: /src/sdksource/interface/dzviewportmgr.cpp(1635): Unmatched call to DzViewportMgr::endManipulation()!  

screen.png
    1019 x 966 - 617K
    Post edited by Totte on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

barbult said:

I had it in my cart, but dumped it until I know whether it works with the "big announcement" on September 21. I think it adds more detailed partial face morphs to give you finer detail control of small facial areas with MetaMixer and ]Power Pose. You can see the extra Power Pose dots in the demonstration.

I wondered about that as well but for $6 & change & all the G8.1 characters I have bought already,  I bought it the MetaMixer extensions without question.

I can't say with 100% certainly but it certainly looks to be an almost certain proposition that Faux2D was hired to do extensive work on Genesis 9 based on the demo Jay showed us. It looked like the work of a very professional and experienced modeler of 3D FACS rigs did that expression work, asymmetry and various morphs.

So the morphs work by themselves either by manipulating them through MetaMixer - PLUS or through the Genesis figure directly. The error only appears when using the MetaMixer - PLUS PowerPose template. The error does not appear when using the MetaMixer - Toolkit PowerPose template. The error has to do something with that -inf% value. There's nothing in the PowerPose template for PLUS that would cause something like that. There might be something wrong with the PowerPose feature itself in Studio. But this also can't be the case otherwise a similar error would have appeared when using the Toolkit PowerPose template. I've pretty much tried everything on my end: changing limits, hiding/unhiding properties, messed around with the Property Hierarchy, etc. I just can't get that -inf% value.

My theory is that there are some issues with certain numbers on a Mac compared to a PC: when you're manipulating the controller through PowerPose it hits a certain value that Studio can't handle on a Mac and it returns that -inf% value. The only difference between the Toolkit and and PLUS PowerPose templates is that Toolkit has a "Size" value for the controllers of 30000 whereas PLUS has 10000.

Please follow these steps again:

Go to the PowerPose template for MetaMixer PLUS -> right click somewhere -> select Edit Mode -> then select a random point -> go to the place at the bottom where it shows the little mouse icons and it had X, Y, Z controls (in Edit Mode these areas become blank) -> right click on the one on the left showing a mouse icon moving left and right (X Translate) -> Edit Control -> a new window should pop-up -> there's a parameter called "Size" and it should be at 10000 -> change it to 30000 -> hit "Accept" -> then repeat the same for Y Translate and Z Translate, and change them to 30000 instead of 10000. A few caveats: when moving from one template to another (blue triangle) whatever changes you made in PowerPose get reversed, the changes are only valid for the point you selected so try only to manipulate the same point when checking to see if it works.

edited October 2022

Did as you wished. Changed all three translations--X, Y, and Z--from 10000 to 30000. Clicked Accept for each one. When I clicked on a random point, after entering Edit Mode, you can see that the point, just below the nose, lit up in the Scene Tab. 

Here's one thing that I don't see on my Macintosh. You wrote:  go to the place at the bottom where it shows the little mouse icons and it had X, Y, Z controls (in Edit Mode these areas become blank) Well, this doesn't happen. The little mouse icons remain there. 

The Screen Shot shows the completion of the series of steps you requested. The X, Y and Z translations have been changed from 10000 to 30000. I did this by clicking on the numerical figure itself; that is 10000, and typing in 30000, and then clicking Accept. In other words, I did not try to drag the slider. Just thought I should be as exact as possible in reporting this.

Yes, and I was careful only to manipulate the same point when checking to see if it works.

Oh, another thing: When I checked the Parameters Tab to see if the values had changed, they had not. Each remained at 0.0. 

Still another test I did: I went to Edit Control for the mouse icons, after I had selected, in Edit Mode, a new point. This time, I tried, as I had when I was experimenting on an earlier day, to drag the Slider Point in the middle of the size line.  The numerical number does move upward, but the Slider Point does not. And to get from 10000 to 30000 would take a long time. In the second screen shot, you can see what I mean. Now, at this stage, I wondered if there was a change in the Parameters Tab. There was not. So, whether I type in the number 30000, or whether I try to drag the Slider Point in the middle of the size line, nothing happens in the Parameters Tab.

Oh, and  of course, as you can see in the first screen shot, the figure's face (an G8.1, with the eyelashes and tear duct deleted), does not change. But, if I try to move the dot, the mesh ruptures and gets all distorted.

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 11.21.55 AM.png
    2334 x 1061 - 1M
    Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 11.39.27 AM.png
    310 x 286 - 35K

inquire said:

Did as you wished. Changed all three translations--X, Y, and Z--from 10000 to 30000. Clicked Accept for each one. When I clicked on a random point, after entering Edit Mode, you can see that the point, just below the nose, lit up in the Scene Tab. 

Here's one thing that I don't see on my Macintosh. You wrote:  go to the place at the bottom where it shows the little mouse icons and it had X, Y, Z controls (in Edit Mode these areas become blank) Well, this doesn't happen. The little mouse icons remain there. 

The Screen Shot shows the completion of the series of steps you requested. The X, Y and Z translations have been changed from 10000 to 30000. I did this by clicking on the numerical figure itself; that is 10000, and typing in 30000, and then clicking Accept. In other words, I did not try to drag the slider. Just thought I should be as exact as possible in reporting this.

Yes, and I was careful only to manipulate the same point when checking to see if it works.

Oh, another thing: When I checked the Parameters Tab to see if the values had changed, they had not. Each remained at 0.0. 

Still another test I did: I went to Edit Control for the mouse icons, after I had selected, in Edit Mode, a new point. This time, I tried, as I had when I was experimenting on an earlier day, to drag the Slider Point in the middle of the size line.  The numerical number does move upward, but the Slider Point does not. And to get from 10000 to 30000 would take a long time. In the second screen shot, you can see what I mean. Now, at this stage, I wondered if there was a change in the Parameters Tab. There was not. So, whether I type in the number 30000, or whether I try to drag the Slider Point in the middle of the size line, nothing happens in the Parameters Tab.

Oh, and  of course, as you can see in the first screen shot, the figure's face (an G8.1, with the eyelashes and tear duct deleted), does not change. But, if I try to move the dot, the mesh ruptures and gets all distorted.

The "Size" property just tells how sensitive the controller is, it does not alter the value of the parameters it controls. After you change it from 10000 to 30000 check to see if anything changes by dragging on it.

OK. Did a sensitivity test, I guess. In the first screen test, you'll see that pulling on the dot, after the Edit Mode, and changing the sensitivity to 30000 for the X, Y, and Z transitions, produced a mark, like a scar along the nose and onto the cheek. The second screen shot shows a quick render. So, the figure appears to be scared. Nope, this is not working, not as it should.

Either the mesh does not move, or it tears terribly. The selection also jumps in the Scene Tab between MetaMixer and MetaMixer Plus. First Screen Shot: With MetaMixer Plus just added, but you'll see the MetaMixer Root is now selected. Second Screen Shot: I clicked on the MetaMixer Plus Root and the PowerPose Tab is now opened. Third Screen Shot: I tried to drag the sym_Mouth_C point in the PowerPose Tab. Fourth Screen Shot: shows the Transforms in the Parameters Tab. Trying to drag or alter them produces nothing.

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 9.44.16 AM.png
    1308 x 959 - 670K
    Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 9.48.34 AM.png
    1308 x 959 - 645K
    With MetaMixer Plus just added.png
    382 x 302 - 29K
    PoserPose ON Template and points.png
    2144 x 594 - 455K
    Selected a Point in PowerPose Tab.png
    2144 x 1040 - 867K
    Parameters Tab for This.png
    2144 x 1040 - 830K

@Fauz2D: Are you working on MateMixer Plus to get it to work on the Macintosh platform? I'm wondering, because I only have a limited timeframe in which to return the product and get a return on my money, if it is not going to work for Macintosh users.