Genesis 9 Coming Soon! Preorder Victoria 9 HD Today

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

MimicMolly said:

I doubt they will, but I'd love to see a G9 bundle like this G1 bundle: https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-michael-victoria-combo-bundle

That would be great!

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited September 2022

frank0314 said:

ThatOmin said:

Kerya said:

ThatOmin said:

Sounds like a good model, if it's basically an actual Genesis model. But uhh...no idea why there would be a pre-order for this. It's a digital product.

Why not? There are ebooks that have a preorder price ...

Because when the product is completed, there is no real extra manual labor that goes into it other than putting the files behind a pay wall. There is no major convenience to the customer nor inconvenience to the distributor. You're pretty much getting the exact same thing I will get on launch day. This is why most "pre-orders" come with incentives aka you get extra things, or you get the files earlier than everyone else etc but...generic hair and generic bikini...that you more than likely won't use. That is the only way pre-orders benefit the customer in anyway.

Hmm, I've never purchased a pre-order and got any "incentive" or anything extra and I get them all the time off Amazon. Oh, I take that back, I once got an digital copy of the movie I preordered once it released along with the DVD.

Preorder perks are extremely common with video games. You usually get something like a small DLC with maybe a different outfit or a weapon to use in the early game. The Daz preorder perks are a mixed bag for me. I love that hair but a bikini? Really? Don't get me wrong, it is a nice looking bikini but not worth preordering sight unseen for me. At least if I preorder a game I have an idea what I'm getting. With Victoria 9, at least the HD pro bundle I have almost no idea what it has other than Victoria 9 herself. As someone who doesn't make much use of skimpwear and such the bundle may not be worth it to me if it's like 1 hair, a character or two and a few outfits that are basically pieces of string with some fabric hanging off of them.

Post edited by Riggswolfe on
  • I have pre purchased, is there a specific date that I will be able to download?

• Release of the V9 is Mid -> End next Month.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

I lost more interest every time the spokesperson rhapsodized over how wonderful Filament was...  

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

I'm sorry I haven't read through all the comments yet but I really feel like I already have everything G9 offers. I have the trans morphs to change sexes and the male/female UV maps, I have clones so I can have unisex clothes, I have various face control products to create asymmetry and any expression, additional asymmetry morphs and facial morphs for expressions, I have every morph set and detail HD morph ever made for G8/G8.1 (which is why it takes like an hour to load!) I have hundreds of textures and Skin Builder, I guess it's great for people who are new to DAZ and didn't invest heavily into G8, but for me it wasn't a big "Oh wow!" or anything. 

I've said this elsewhere but the only thing that interests me are the animal morphs IF they give us the ability to purchase morph packs so we can create our own animals and creatures. I'm less interested in purchasing PA created full animals, but would love a 500 or more morphs set to create whatever animals our imagination can come up with. If that happens, I'll definitely be into G9. But the human figure doesn't offer me much since I already have all that it offers. Also, it's ridiculously easy to bump up skin details if needed in ANY photo app, even free mobile apps like Snapseed. For people new to DAZ, I guess G9/V9 is great, but doesn't seem to offer much for people like me who already has purchased all the separate bells & whistles for G8/G8.1.

• If there is a chance for better expressions and joint bendings, I am always happy to be on board.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

Cayman Studios said:

I'm working on a "Legacy UVs for Genesis 9" product which will put Genesis 3, 8 and 8.1 textures onto the Genesis 9 mesh.  It will include geografts for the head, shoulders and (probably) lips, as these cover the incompatible surface areas (Genesis 9 has no separate Lips surface). 

Wait, what? Does that mean users can't change the lip color in surfaces? I'm always adjusting lip colors and glossiness. Will this no longer be possible? 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,395

Riggswolfe said:

frank0314 said:

ThatOmin said:

Kerya said:

ThatOmin said:

Sounds like a good model, if it's basically an actual Genesis model. But uhh...no idea why there would be a pre-order for this. It's a digital product.

Why not? There are ebooks that have a preorder price ...

Because when the product is completed, there is no real extra manual labor that goes into it other than putting the files behind a pay wall. There is no major convenience to the customer nor inconvenience to the distributor. You're pretty much getting the exact same thing I will get on launch day. This is why most "pre-orders" come with incentives aka you get extra things, or you get the files earlier than everyone else etc but...generic hair and generic bikini...that you more than likely won't use. That is the only way pre-orders benefit the customer in anyway.

Hmm, I've never purchased a pre-order and got any "incentive" or anything extra and I get them all the time off Amazon. Oh, I take that back, I once got an digital copy of the movie I preordered once it released along with the DVD.

Preorder perks are extremely common with video games. You usually get something like a small DLC with maybe a different outfit or a weapon to use in the early game. The Daz preorder perks are a mixed bag for me. I love that hair but a bikini? Really? Don't get me wrong, it is a nice looking bikini but not worth preordering sight unseen for me. At least if I preorder a game I have an idea what I'm getting. With Victoria 9, at least the HD pro bundle I have almost no idea what it has other than Victoria 9 herself. As someone who doesn't make much use of skimpwear and such the bundle may not be worth it to me if it's like 1 hair, a character or two and a few outfits that are basically pieces of string with some fabric hanging off of them.

Sorry, I didn't think about video games. Your exactly right. Thinking about it now we use to pick those games for our kids when we would buy them. Quite often you would get a free xxx for this game or for a free download of another game.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,395

Masterstroke said:

If there is a chance for better expressions and joint bendings, I am always happy to be on board.

I believe so, yes. I believe it was mentioned in the video/ Live feed

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

My first impressions.

The good first - I do really like V9, would prefer her to have a bit of real SSS (i.e. I'm really not a fan of the the so called new PBR shader, just a real step backward in realism to me), but I think they did a great job with V9, much better than V8.1. I also really like the HD expressions! Much more realistic than anything so far (or maybe just less creepy at full strength).

Now for the bad. From the live stream video, some of the joint bends didn't look as good as I would have hoped for, especially given the time DAZ has had to develop G9. I'm extremely disappointed in the mesh topology. The mesh topology for the human form has gotten worse for every generation since Genesis 2. Very little of the G9 mesh topology actually follows the underlying human form/musculature. Sure, the mesh has twice the density of the previous generation, but it will still make it difficult for non-DAZ vendors to create detailed characters. I'm guessing this is a move to force more character vendors to DAZ to get access to the HD tools?? I'm sure it will also make it easier for vendors that don't understand topology to create clothing for G9 (i.e. you can easily model clothes from cylinders/planes with rectangular quads which will readily accept the figure JCM's using the transfer utility and not need any adjustments to look good). So yeah, I'm a bit disappointed to see the topology of G9 look like a generic cylinder and not more like a human ... I was hoping it to look more like G2. I'm a bit amazed by how many people have mentioned that the topology is amazing surprise! Amazing for easily creating conforming clothing from cylinders, but not for detailed realistic human figures (without access to the HD tool).

Will I get V9? Probably. I don't know if it will be just the figure or the bundle. If the bundle comes with gens, then yes the bundle just to make a complete figure. Otherwise probably just the figure. Will I dump G8 for G9? Noooooo!!! If someone makes a convertor from the PBR shaders to the Uber shader I may use G9 more (or if there are some must have figures that force me to make my own conversion process). But just like Genesis 8.1, I'm just not interested in the look of the PBR shaders (V9 may force me to do a conversion to the Uber shader). Of course if DAZ releases The Girl 9, and it really looks like The Girl, I could warm up to G9 a bit more.

As for worrying about the lack of nipple geometry, G3 and G8 were severely lacking there. I'm sure if I ever decide to seriously start using G9, I'll also use an add-on product to get the extra details that will work with any figure. This will be a must for using any non-DAZ Original figures anyway (for example a figure from Renderosity) as it would seem that not having access to the HD tool(s) may be very limiting.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Wonderland said:

Cayman Studios said:

I'm working on a "Legacy UVs for Genesis 9" product which will put Genesis 3, 8 and 8.1 textures onto the Genesis 9 mesh.  It will include geografts for the head, shoulders and (probably) lips, as these cover the incompatible surface areas (Genesis 9 has no separate Lips surface). 

Wait, what? Does that mean users can't change the lip color in surfaces? I'm always adjusting lip colors and glossiness. Will this no longer be possible? 

They mentioned in the video that a "makeup editor" was coming. Whatever that means I have no idea - if it's something being added to DS or a separate purchase. I just know it was mentioned.

Wonderland said:

Cayman Studios said:

I think you are correct. You could probably set up some preferred lip colors for use with LIE. It would seem that with G9 the days of modifying the lip color via tweaking the color of the lip surface have come to an end. I do it all the time!! Another reason that I'm expecting that I won't be using G9 a whole lot (or there will need to be a LOT more lip color options than most vendors give us now). A lot of things don't seem like a step forward at all to me ... but I do like the expressions.

AllenArt said:

Wonderland said:

Cayman Studios said:

They mentioned in the video that a "makeup editor" was coming. Whatever that means I have no idea - if it's something being added to DS or a separate purchase. I just know it was mentioned.

I forgot about that!! Hopefully it will make up for no lip surface.

DustRider said:

AllenArt said:

Wonderland said:

Cayman Studios said:

I forgot about that!! Hopefully it will make up for no lip surface.

I have no proof, but I have a sneaky suspicion it'll be a lot like Skin Builder. At least that's what I see in my head, but sometimes what I see in my head lies to me. LOLOL

• nwleee_a52bfead84nwleee_a52bfead84 Posts: 108
    edited September 2022

Sorry, I haven't read through all the comments.  But from what I understand from the promo description, there are two skin textures "freckled" and "vitiligo".
    First of all "vitiligo"?  Why?  Why would that be a standard issued skin texture?  How many people would actually use that in a rendering?
    Secondly will there be no default texture without freckles and vitiligo skin?

Post edited by nwleee_a52bfead84 on
    edited September 2022

BTW Daz...when do we get to see a FAQ? Like the one that was supposed to show up on Thursday, but still is nowhere to be seen?

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • nwleee_a52bfead84 said:

Sorry, I haven't read through all the comments.  But from what I understand from the promo description, there are two skin textures "freckled" and "vitiligo".
    First of all "vitiligo"?  Why?  Why would that be a standard issued skin texture?  How many people would actually use that in a rendering?

This is a characterV9 for G9 not the G9 base which most probably will have the base texture your asking about if I understood you correctly 

nwleee_a52bfead84 said:

I agree. I'll likely never, ever use the vitiligo skin and I'm not big on freckles either. I'm hoping the freckles are an overlay of some kind that I can turn off, but if not, I'll make do.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Base G9 comes with the standard tanned plain airbrushed human model skin materials that 99% of the human products come with. Victoria 9 is an actual representation of a character not a blank to build on like Genesis 9 Female will be.

• I'm all for new genesis technology in the models, but No matter what computer I use (out of 30), or what operating system or cheap video cards to high end gpus, I still experience above average application crashes with Daz. I have a fair amount already invested in models, but with this intense crashing problem, I guess I'm hard-pressed to fork out any money. Furthermore, I've been with Daz forever, and only recently has it really crashed often enough to make me question whether I want to continue, and frankly at the moment Genesis 9 is not doing it for me (yet). I'm even on the new beta program and experience several issues.

I don't care Daz is selling it. Likewise, I pay for my models, but at this point, I'm capped until I get more software reliability. I'm also a Zbrush and 3ds max user where the software does crash from time to time but in no way near the amount of times with Daz. I hope I am not offending anyone, but just wanted to throw in my useless .25c worth.

• Brugan said:

Also, I'm all for more realism, however I do like to get a little fun in my runtime as well so when you eventually release another "Girl", can we go back to the classic Girl look?

PS. Girl7 redhead is best redhead (controversial I KNOW!) :D

Absolutely! The Girl 7 had this more organic look to her. I think in Daz I saw Girl 7 for Girl 8. I haven't checked that out yet.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

But just like Genesis 8.1, I'm just not interested in the look of the PBR shaders (V9 may force me to do a conversion to the Uber shader).

Dustrider, is it confirmed that G9 will use the PBR shader? I assumed it, but you sound like you know for sure. 

• julienicholls72julienicholls72 Posts: 28
    edited September 2022

Twilight76 said:

Release of the V9 is Mid -> End next Month.

thank you!

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557

The positive point is Victoria 9 is already HD (no HD add-on)

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited September 2022

@Noah It is forced to be HD, because without HD details it can't do anything good. In the presentation page you can clearly see that the G9 unimesh doesn't have nipples or a navel, so it relies on HD for details.

Post edited by Padone on

Padone said:

@noah It is forced to be HD, because without HD details it can't do anything good. In the presentation page you can clearly see that the G9 unimesh doesn't have nipples or a navel, so it relies on HD for details.

Maybe. We don't know exactly what's going to be in the morph packs yet.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

@AllenArt There's not the topology. A morph pack can't morph what isn't there. They have to use the HD layer for that. Unless they add geografts for the nipples and navel that would be just horrible.

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
    edited September 2022

HD is the main feature of G9 ?

Post edited by Noah LGP on