Genesis 9 Coming Soon! Preorder Victoria 9 HD Today

Comments

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,933
    edited September 2022

Rod Wise Driggo said:

Did they? 
    https://www.daz3d.com/ultimate-natural-bend-morphs-for-genesis-8-and-81-female-20

Not with V8.1 they didn't, I should know, I bought them all! (including the linked version about a few mins ago) And yeah, I made the mistake naming G8.1 when it was V8.1 with my unedited post.

Oh, and thanks a lot for telling me this, I never knew it existed, I'm snagging it now!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • i was going to write about how i am happy to see the slight improvements to expressions but that overall it is still very much one of the stumbling blocks to achieving something approaching realism... but then that soon got me to the realization that there is obviously a fundamental incompatibility between human biology and mesh physics (i mean of course there is!!) i'm sure the same applies to soft body physics.

One day there will be software that addresses these problems and maybe there already is but i'm sure it is going to be a very different beast to Daz... so for now i will just except its limitations and be thankful for the slight improvements and find a work around for where it falls short {which is part of the fun anyway)

On a different note, can people please stop buying into products of an unknown quantity... the cynic in me thinks it makes it way to easy for the seller to take advantage of the situation!

• diamondd123 said:

Would like hear from others what they think and hope for in the new Gen9 figures. I'm looking forward to it, and one of my main wishes is Skin Builder 9.

Merged with main thread.

• NathNath Posts: 2,718

So, will we find out what is in the bundle while the pre-sale is ongoing, or is this supposed to be a blind handover of money?

• M-CM-C Posts: 102
    edited September 2022

SolitarySandpiper said:

One day there will be software that addresses these problems and maybe there already is ...

Yes, there is indeed. They´re named iclone, Blender, Maya, 3dsmax,... literally every 3d application on the market does soft body physics. Some of them for years even.
    For a company who´s main selling point are 3d human figures - and we all know what a good amount of DAZ user are doing with them - this should be a main priority for the development. Especially since people are screaming for these features every other month.
    What we get instead are features that PA´s are including for several months now as well as the information that the program update we´re actually waiting for might take another year or something like that to get finished.

Post edited by M-C on
  • Would Michael 9 or Male Genesis 9 be there for a new genesis upgrade?
  • No "Male Genesis 9" as it is part of Genesis 9, a single base that includes the masculine and feminine morphs. As far as Michael 9 goes, Michael had trailed Victoria by several months fire generations now, I expect the same here.
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

I don't understand why people instantly think G9 is going to crush their PC. And I equally don't understand why people would want to hold back progress for everybody else because they have a potato PC. Especially after it has been mentioned numerous times how easy it is to make this stuff work on a potato PC just in case it doesn't.

If you played video games, a 10 year PC would be even more screwed than it is for Daz. Modern games especially will not even start on a 2GB GPU from 2012. Meanwhile, you can use a CPU to render Iray if you run out of VRAM.

Technology moves forward. But that said, I don't think Genesis 9 is that radical of a leap to be so scared about. Are we really going to cry about a high quality texture? Are we really going to be terrified of a texture which can be reduced in size in less than 2 minutes? It will take less than 2 minutes to resize every Victoria 9 texture. And I am being extremely generous. Most of that time is you locating the folder. You then highlight all the textures. You then right click on your mouse. I am sure most of you know how to right click, right? Then in that menu you select the image resizer. You then select 'custom' and select the exact size you desire. The custom setting also lets you select the quality. You can lower the quality to reduce the image data size even more. You can click on the resizer settings to select whether you want to save new textures or replace the old ones completely. Once this is set, you can click accept. Then in about 10 seconds (and I say 10 only because I assume your PC must be slow), you will have replaced every single texture you had highlighted in Victoria 9's folder.

Does that sound impossible? Is that really so hard? I did this for several years myself when I started with Daz Studio. It was part of my routine. And this is not the only option. Again, it has been pointed out numerous times.

Today I find myself trying to upscale textures more than anything else. Especially environments. I am finding that many Daz environments seem to have very compressed textures. The texture might be 4K, but it is compressed to a ridiculous extreme. It really is getting on my nerves. I try to use AI image upscalers to enhance these poor quality textures. Sometimes it works. Sometimes the AI upscaling looks terrible. The point here is that is WAY WAY easier to downsize textures and compress them than it is to increase their quality. You cannot magically enhance a texture to save it. That is why it is so important to have good quality textures from the start. A good quality texture gives you options, and you can downsize easily if needed. A low quality texture doesn't give you many options.

You can reach a point of diminishing returns. That is true. But I see plenty of room for improvement in a lot of stuff I see. A good example are the ethnic textures that Daz gave us for 8.1 a while back. While this was a nice gesture, the textures themselves have been reduced in quality. As many of you probably know the textures come from past Genesis characters. The African skin is just Monique 7. I compared the original Monique textures to the 8.1 textures Daz gave us and the originals are better. I don't know if the conversion process caused this loss of detail, since Monique was a unique UV all of her textures needed to be converted, not just the "head" torso texture. But more than that, I can see a lot more compression in the new textures. So it appears to me they used a lower quality setting on the JPG when they made them. I really hope the Genesis 9 ethnic textures they are including are not as compressed. I am quite worried they will be.

• outrider42
    I aggree with your post, but wait:
    I've always asumed the texture compression slider in the Render Settings< Advanced Tab is for compressing texture size for previews. Does it also affect the final render?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,485

Masterstroke said:

outrider42
    I aggree with your post, but wait:
    I've always asumed the texture compression slider in the Render Settings< Advanced Tab is for compressing texture size for previews. Does it also affect the final render?

That compression effects the amount of VRAM the textures are taking when rendering, the higher one sets them, the more VRAM they use.

At default value, the memory usage is reduced to about half, ie. textures that take 1GB of RAM, will take about 500MB's of VRAM 

• What?! So I have always rendered at a low texture resolution?

I thought the texture compression slideris only for the in prewiew editor rendering.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,485

There has been a few threads where the default compression settings have been the source of compression artifacts in the final render. Setting the values in the settings higher, has removed the artifacts.

• Supposedly the new mesh will allow G9 to be turned into almost anything from monsters to trucks, but will it easily allow for the creation of multiple appendages such as four to six arms or legs, two heads, one eye to multiple eyes on the head or spread out all over the body.? What is the limits of the new mesh and will these additional appendages have to be added separately to the figure?

• Every new release I say "I like the current version. I have invested lots of $.  I'll stick with it"  Then I try the new base and discover the improvements.  Sucked in. Will do i t again with G9, I just know it.

I just wish I had an idea of what kinds of products and how many will be in the bundle. Don't need details, just something like a male and a female character, one pose set two clothing sets etc. I expect if I hold off I'll get a chance at an even lower price later as I own all the other Vicki's. Just not sure about a Vicki in a poke.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited September 2022

i wonder if my Intel HD graphics chip (forgot the name.  655 Iris Plus??) can handle 8K textures.

Post edited by starionwolf on
  • EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

ok i really disliked the "unisex" body stuff, while for someone peoples it awesome for me it's a step back, specially for the topology, this body topology even with more polygons, while for a "male character" is awesome for female is crap, i really disliked what they did in the chest area, they tried to go "metahuman" which is heavy criticized by exactly the "body" by having in general a really poor customizable body but also for some peoples by having a really bad retopology for female characters, while again to make males it can be good for female it's really bad, i'm really thinking in pass on it and stick with g8 for now.

no

• I have not come upon this question, Is this genesis 9 going to work on 4.15? That will be one of the big factors that determine whether I buy or just stay with 8 (I bought but dont use 8.1 stuff).

Everytime I upgrade, something I bought always stop working LOL

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154

Congratulations on victoria 9 she looks amazing,

Genesis9 kind of reminds me of genesis 1 with the cross gender morphing which l love genesis for that cross beasty morphing without changing character sets.   Perhaps Rawart will make some great characters for genesis9

But alias I have enough 3d content and so many different versions of studio and victoria's to last me the rest of my life.  so I'll wait a few years and get victoria 9 when she a freebie.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited September 2022

For those who might have V9 -- quick wuestions/quick answers (if known)

1.) My sys specs:  i-7 skylake @ 4.15Ghz | 64GB RAM | Paschal based Titan Xp & Quadro P5000 | Maximum vRam with the Quadro only: approx 15.5GB

Will sys specs run 4.21 to try out V9?

If not, can skip the rest.  : )

2.)  "Properties" preset seamlessly converted a V8 based character to G8.1.  Save "My Custom Vicky 8.1" as a preset.  Load V9

Will my "My Custom Vicky 8.1 preset" load onto the new bone structure and mesh of V9?

If no, I will have to wait and see what options might  be available for those using recurring characters.  skip #3  : )

3.)  Does V8.1 have skin mats as without freckles?  What are her options?  MDL and RSL?  (I couldn't find RSL mats for V8.1)

Will V8.1 material presets load onto V9 if want "plain" skin to evaluate?

---

I hope that made sense.  While waiting on animation renders, been doing quire a bit of reading about V9 via iPad.  My eyes are tired, so thanks for reading.  Time to log off.  0_o

Post edited by Tynkere on
  • Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557

nonesuch00 said:

The Girl 9

The Guy 9

Ollie 9

Edie 9

Toon Generations for Genesis 9

Okay for The Guy and Ollie
  • johnjohn808 said:

I have not come upon this question, Is this genesis 9 going to work on 4.15? That will be one of the big factors that determine whether I buy or just stay with 8 (I bought but dont use 8.1 stuff).

Jay said in the live stream that you would need 4.21 for Genesis 9. 

• I am not inclined to preorder the bundle without knowing what is in it. But if I preorder Victoria 9 HD and then when the bundle comes out decide I want it, can I cancel my preorder for V9 and receive a refund?

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

PerttiA said:

There has been a few threads where the default compression settings have been the source of compression artifacts in the final render. Setting the values in the settings higher, has removed the artifacts.

Thanks this is good to know.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

studio 3xl said:

Supposedly the new mesh will allow G9 to be turned into almost anything from monsters to trucks, but will it easily allow for the creation of multiple appendages such as four to six arms or legs, two heads, one eye to multiple eyes on the head or spread out all over the body.? What is the limits of the new mesh and will these additional appendages have to be added separately to the figure?

Appendages would be through geografts like any other genesis figure.

Meshes can be made into anything if the person doing it is skilled enough. Chris from Hivewire built all the Hivewire characters and animals from the Dawn mesh it was interesting to watch him doing it.

G9 would likewise be able to be changed the only limits are your skills and imagination. In the end any mesh is just vertices, edges and polygons.

• johnjohn808johnjohn808 Posts: 136
    edited September 2022

butterflyfish said:

johnjohn808 said:

I have not come upon this question, Is this genesis 9 going to work on 4.15? That will be one of the big factors that determine whether I buy or just stay with 8 (I bought but dont use 8.1 stuff).

Jay said in the live stream that you would need 4.21 for Genesis 9. 

Thank you very much for the info.

I guess Im staying with Genesis 8.

I have a feeling that GP and other gens wont be compatible, as there were problems with even 8.1 compatibility for a while.

But if Meipe and lightblue start making products for Genesis 9, then I`ll be more inclined to update Daz Studio and hop on G9.

Post edited by johnjohn808 on
  • The first question I want to know the answer to before I make a decision about what if anything to preorder: Does the presale bundle include anatomical elements?

• Artini said:

nonesuch00 said:

I'm looking forward to this Victoria 9 & company. The expressions are so extremely improved and the way fat looks too.

Yes, I am looking forward to Victoria 9 and Genesis 9 items, too.

I like expressions a lot, especially animated.

It is a pity, that Daz is not willing to reveal a details of the V9 bundle.

I also wonder, how and if Victoria 9 will transfer to Unity using Daz to Unity bridge.

Anyhow, great work on this new generation of the figures - well done.

You mean unreal engine? Daz3d figures since G2 have always work will with unity even without A bridge. True you had to put some work in to fix it. But their were tiny problem. And usually take a minute or two to fix baby less. but unreal engine was a complete nightmare to bring a Genesis figure into unreal. Even with the Unreal bridge it still a pain.
  • So not only will G9 have seperate mouth and eye geometry, but also nipples, genitals, maybe navel. Basically a Barbie and/or Ken which you can use at a school or other sensitive area, and add/modify the rest. With the nice square mesh it should be easier to match the surrounding area.  Interesting idea and give the PAs more options.

• I don't understand why people instantly think G9 is going to crush their PC. And I equally don't understand why people would want to hold back progress for everybody else because they have a potato PC. Especially after it has been mentioned numerous times how easy it is to make this stuff work on a potato PC just in case it doesn't.

If you played video games, a 10 year PC would be even more screwed than it is for Daz. Modern games especially will not even start on a 2GB GPU from 2012. Meanwhile, you can use a CPU to render Iray if you run out of VRAM.

Technology moves forward. But that said, I don't think Genesis 9 is that radical of a leap to be so scared about. Are we really going to cry about a high quality texture? Are we really going to be terrified of a texture which can be reduced in size in less than 2 minutes? It will take less than 2 minutes to resize every Victoria 9 texture. And I am being extremely generous. Most of that time is you locating the folder. You then highlight all the textures. You then right click on your mouse. I am sure most of you know how to right click, right? Then in that menu you select the image resizer. You then select 'custom' and select the exact size you desire. The custom setting also lets you select the quality. You can lower the quality to reduce the image data size even more. You can click on the resizer settings to select whether you want to save new textures or replace the old ones completely. Once this is set, you can click accept. Then in about 10 seconds (and I say 10 only because I assume your PC must be slow), you will have replaced every single texture you had highlighted in Victoria 9's folder.

Does that sound impossible? Is that really so hard? I did this for several years myself when I started with Daz Studio. It was part of my routine. And this is not the only option. Again, it has been pointed out numerous times.

Today I find myself trying to upscale textures more than anything else. Especially environments. I am finding that many Daz environments seem to have very compressed textures. The texture might be 4K, but it is compressed to a ridiculous extreme. It really is getting on my nerves. I try to use AI image upscalers to enhance these poor quality textures. Sometimes it works. Sometimes the AI upscaling looks terrible. The point here is that is WAY WAY easier to downsize textures and compress them than it is to increase their quality. You cannot magically enhance a texture to save it. That is why it is so important to have good quality textures from the start. A good quality texture gives you options, and you can downsize easily if needed. A low quality texture doesn't give you many options.

You can reach a point of diminishing returns. That is true. But I see plenty of room for improvement in a lot of stuff I see. A good example are the ethnic textures that Daz gave us for 8.1 a while back. While this was a nice gesture, the textures themselves have been reduced in quality. As many of you probably know the textures come from past Genesis characters. The African skin is just Monique 7. I compared the original Monique textures to the 8.1 textures Daz gave us and the originals are better. I don't know if the conversion process caused this loss of detail, since Monique was a unique UV all of her textures needed to be converted, not just the "head" torso texture. But more than that, I can see a lot more compression in the new textures. So it appears to me they used a lower quality setting on the JPG when they made them. I really hope the Genesis 9 ethnic textures they are including are not as compressed. I am quite worried they will be.

I don't think it a good idea to compare Daz3d to video games when it comes to potato PC's. Thanks to cloud gaming services such as GeForce Now,Shadow cloud gaming,Vortex,Which allows people to play steam games,by streaming with cloud service as long as their stable internet connection. You can the latest games. Even on a PC from a early 2000. That not adding Xbox gamepass Google stadia, Playstation now,etc.... Hell not just PC phones to. Two days ago I was playing CyberPunk 2077 using the geoforce now app on my OneNote plus 7 phone. Their really no cloud service for Daz3d. Their really no alternative for Daz3d user other getting a better PC if they don't have the money to upgrade.
  • mogaremolbymogaremolby Posts: 75
    edited September 2022

I don't understand why people instantly think G9 is going to crush their PC. And I equally don't understand why people would want to hold back progress for everybody else because they have a potato PC. Especially after it has been mentioned numerous times how easy it is to make this stuff work on a potato PC just in case it doesn't.

Cloud gaming solve the issue for gaming on potato PCS. Their no cloud service for Daz3d. https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/what-is-cloud-gaming-explained/
    Post edited by mogaremolby on