Genesis 9 Coming Soon! Preorder Victoria 9 HD Today

Comments

• Yeah, I'm not gonna be switching over.  

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

butterflyfish said:

johnjohn808 said:

I have not come upon this question, Is this genesis 9 going to work on 4.15? That will be one of the big factors that determine whether I buy or just stay with 8 (I bought but dont use 8.1 stuff).

Everytime I upgrade, something I bought always stop working LOL

Jay said in the live stream that you would need 4.21 for Genesis 9. 

I wonder why that is? The ONLY reason Genesis 8 required a new version of Daz Studio when it released was because of the new PBR Skin shader. This makes me wonder if there is another Iray change that they are sticking on G9.

Meanwhile I can load Genesis 8 and 8.1 in very old versions of Daz Studio. The shaders do not load. And of course a number of plugins that came out after that version do not load. But the figures load perfectly fine otherwise. I cannot imagine anything else besides a shader that would cause G9 to not load. Now that I think about it, did Jay ever show any surface settings during the stream? He showed the UV at one point, but no surface settings.

Also curious if the new Iray has any mention of RTX 4000. Something that is really concerning me is the dead silence from the Iray Dev Blog. They have not posted since August 22. I would expect them to have something posted after the big Lovelace reveal by now. Iray is part of the Omniverse project, right? 

There are some things I am concerned about with G9. We will indeed be starting over for the most part. Victoria 9 has a retail price of $60, which is $15 more than where it has been. Inflation sucks, but that seems a bit much. Daz needs to be careful here as we start to fall into a recession, spending on stuff like Daz is one of the first things I would imagine people do during a recession period.

While I like the unified base, the separate eye and mouth props are nice, and I like that V9 has 8K textures, IMO these aren't really major upgrades though. The textures in particular can be done on ANY model. I can have a 8K texture on Victoria 4 if I want to. Textures are not a new feature on a model. The unified base is cool, but it is not a 'must have' feature in my book. The eye and mouth thing is also appreciated, but I have dealt with it. The skeleton change is cool for those exporting, but doesn't appear to do much for people who are staying inside Daz Studio. Victoria 9 looks nice, but most of what we see is simply down to good artistry of the person(s) who designed her. We have plenty of great models for 8 and 8.1 that have also very realistic skins.

There is always talk about expressions, but that is more of a minor update to me. We have some nice expression morphs for past generations that look good as well. How well they pose kind of remains to be seen.

Realistic proportions? Again, that is simply down to artistry, and is something that can be done today on any model. I am not sure why Daz is acting like this has never been achieved before.

All in all it is just an updated Genesis figure. There is nothing mind blowing about that. When Daz hyped this to the moon, people start to hope for a mesh that genuinely acts like real skin.

What is in the freakin' bundle??? Are they doing the silly gen prop thing like they did before?

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557

Will the store be able to filter Male and Female content ?

It's still a nightmare with Genesis.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

So, another day with no FAQ. I guess it'll be Monday today.

• FAQ comming DAZ soon ;)

• N3p3nth3N3p3nth3 Posts: 129
    edited September 2022

Not sure if there are any benefits for me. Of my 10 favourite characters, half are genesis 3 and earlier and three are stuck in genesis 3 due to the un-portability of hd morphs. Looks like the vicky 4 and gen 2s are going to be stuck at genesis 8. 

I hope, this time, they develop a tool that allows hd morphs to be ported or it'll be time for me to bail when the genesis 8 supporting content invariably dries up.

I mean, I would pay up to a new characters full price to see my favourites make a comeback, but unless daz develops a tool that does this on a figure by figure basis, my days here are numbered.

Post edited by N3p3nth3 on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,180

johnjohn808 said:

butterflyfish said:

johnjohn808 said:

I have not come upon this question, Is this genesis 9 going to work on 4.15? That will be one of the big factors that determine whether I buy or just stay with 8 (I bought but dont use 8.1 stuff).

Thank you very much for the info.

I guess Im staying with Genesis 8.

I have a feeling that GP and other gens wont be compatible, as there were problems with even 8.1 compatibility for a while.

But if Meipe and lightblue start making products for Genesis 9, then I`ll be more inclined to update Daz Studio and hop on G9.

The problem with product like GP is simply that the UV changed from 8 to 8.1, and that the scripts didn't recognize an 8.1 figure to apply the materials. G9 will fail at the first step, because the mesh is wildly different from 8 to 9, so you won't even be able to apply the geografts, so G9 would require all-new geografts.

• I don't understand why people instantly think G9 is going to crush their PC. And I equally don't understand why people would want to hold back progress for everybody else because they have a potato PC. Especially after it has been mentioned numerous times how easy it is to make this stuff work on a potato PC just in case it doesn't.

If you played video games, a 10 year PC would be even more screwed than it is for Daz. Modern games especially will not even start on a 2GB GPU from 2012. Meanwhile, you can use a CPU to render Iray if you run out of VRAM.

Technology moves forward. But that said, I don't think Genesis 9 is that radical of a leap to be so scared about. Are we really going to cry about a high quality texture? Are we really going to be terrified of a texture which can be reduced in size in less than 2 minutes? It will take less than 2 minutes to resize every Victoria 9 texture. And I am being extremely generous. Most of that time is you locating the folder. You then highlight all the textures. You then right click on your mouse. I am sure most of you know how to right click, right? Then in that menu you select the image resizer. You then select 'custom' and select the exact size you desire. The custom setting also lets you select the quality. You can lower the quality to reduce the image data size even more. You can click on the resizer settings to select whether you want to save new textures or replace the old ones completely. Once this is set, you can click accept. Then in about 10 seconds (and I say 10 only because I assume your PC must be slow), you will have replaced every single texture you had highlighted in Victoria 9's folder.

Does that sound impossible? Is that really so hard? I did this for several years myself when I started with Daz Studio. It was part of my routine. And this is not the only option. Again, it has been pointed out numerous times.

Today I find myself trying to upscale textures more than anything else. Especially environments. I am finding that many Daz environments seem to have very compressed textures. The texture might be 4K, but it is compressed to a ridiculous extreme. It really is getting on my nerves. I try to use AI image upscalers to enhance these poor quality textures. Sometimes it works. Sometimes the AI upscaling looks terrible. The point here is that is WAY WAY easier to downsize textures and compress them than it is to increase their quality. You cannot magically enhance a texture to save it. That is why it is so important to have good quality textures from the start. A good quality texture gives you options, and you can downsize easily if needed. A low quality texture doesn't give you many options.

You can reach a point of diminishing returns. That is true. But I see plenty of room for improvement in a lot of stuff I see. A good example are the ethnic textures that Daz gave us for 8.1 a while back. While this was a nice gesture, the textures themselves have been reduced in quality. As many of you probably know the textures come from past Genesis characters. The African skin is just Monique 7. I compared the original Monique textures to the 8.1 textures Daz gave us and the originals are better. I don't know if the conversion process caused this loss of detail, since Monique was a unique UV all of her textures needed to be converted, not just the "head" torso texture. But more than that, I can see a lot more compression in the new textures. So it appears to me they used a lower quality setting on the JPG when they made them. I really hope the Genesis 9 ethnic textures they are including are not as compressed. I am quite worried they will be.

Cloud gaming solve the issue for gaming on potato PCS. Their no cloud service for Daz3d. https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/what-is-cloud-gaming-explained/
    Welp look like I'm eating crow tonight. But it seems like their is somewhat of a solid for Daz3d on potato PCS. And that is render farms. For those who can't afford to upgrade their PC or buy a new one. They can use renderfarms to create their renders. https://radarrender.com/best-render-farms-for-daz-studio-iray-2022/
  • Haruchai said:

Watched the live stream so have a good idea of the figure now, very impressive. The main query I have is if I preorder the HD bundle and then the Pro bundle releases am I basically going to be buying V9 twice?

I am wondering the same thing.
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited September 2022

Yes, I need a list of what's going to be in the 2 products. The Victoria 9 HD product vs the Victoria 9 HD Pro Bundle product is important to know. $30 vs $80 is a very substantial difference in price for what could wind up being an oh so typical bundle of the typical generational Genesis introductory fashion model poses, a couple of hairs that are marginally different or even just reworked refits of old products, one bikini babesque fashion clothing outfit, and one mean mad fighting chick outfit. 

For the giant $50 extra on the Victoria 9 Pro Bundle I would totally expect the typical introductory Genesis 9 Female Head Morphs, Genesis 9 Female Body Morphs, and Genesis 9 Female Expressions to be included in that Victoria 9 HD Pro Bundle. I'm not sure about the HD morph because the Victoria 9 HD product standalone seems to imply HD is standard now.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • outrider42 said:

butterflyfish said:

johnjohn808 said:

I wonder why that is? The ONLY reason Genesis 8 required a new version of Daz Studio when it released was because of the new PBR Skin shader. This makes me wonder if there is another Iray change that they are sticking on G9.

I don't know in what way, but I do believe that soem of the additions to 4.20.1.x, which will become 4.21.x.x, are related to Genesis 9 support. I have no idea whether the shader is changing or not, though that wasn't the impression I got from Jay's words

Meanwhile I can load Genesis 8 and 8.1 in very old versions of Daz Studio. The shaders do not load. And of course a number of plugins that came out after that version do not load. But the figures load perfectly fine otherwise. I cannot imagine anything else besides a shader that would cause G9 to not load. Now that I think about it, did Jay ever show any surface settings during the stream? He showed the UV at one point, but no surface settings.

Also curious if the new Iray has any mention of RTX 4000. Something that is really concerning me is the dead silence from the Iray Dev Blog. They have not posted since August 22. I would expect them to have something posted after the big Lovelace reveal by now. Iray is part of the Omniverse project, right? 

There are some things I am concerned about with G9. We will indeed be starting over for the most part. Victoria 9 has a retail price of $60, which is $15 more than where it has been. Inflation sucks, but that seems a bit much. Daz needs to be careful here as we start to fall into a recession, spending on stuff like Daz is one of the first things I would imagine people do during a recession period.

While I like the unified base, the separate eye and mouth props are nice, and I like that V9 has 8K textures, IMO these aren't really major upgrades though. The textures in particular can be done on ANY model. I can have a 8K texture on Victoria 4 if I want to. Textures are not a new feature on a model. The unified base is cool, but it is not a 'must have' feature in my book. The eye and mouth thing is also appreciated, but I have dealt with it. The skeleton change is cool for those exporting, but doesn't appear to do much for people who are staying inside Daz Studio. Victoria 9 looks nice, but most of what we see is simply down to good artistry of the person(s) who designed her. We have plenty of great models for 8 and 8.1 that have also very realistic skins.

There is always talk about expressions, but that is more of a minor update to me. We have some nice expression morphs for past generations that look good as well. How well they pose kind of remains to be seen.

Realistic proportions? Again, that is simply down to artistry, and is something that can be done today on any model. I am not sure why Daz is acting like this has never been achieved before.

All in all it is just an updated Genesis figure. There is nothing mind blowing about that. When Daz hyped this to the moon, people start to hope for a mesh that genuinely acts like real skin.

What is in the freakin' bundle??? Are they doing the silly gen prop thing like they did before?

• Sounds like a good model, if it's basically an actual Genesis model. But uhh...no idea why there would be a pre-order for this. It's a digital product.
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,483

outrider42 said:

I wonder why that is? The ONLY reason Genesis 8 required a new version of Daz Studio when it released was because of the new PBR Skin shader.

And the ability to load morphs from an other figure (G8) 

• Ginger freckles on V9?

Yeah, that's a hard pass, thanks.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

ThatOmin said:

Sounds like a good model, if it's basically an actual Genesis model. But uhh...no idea why there would be a pre-order for this. It's a digital product.

Why not? There are ebooks that have a preorder price ...

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

Does someone know if g9 will have even texel density? Or has the face still has a much higher texel density than the body/arm/legs?

• Kerya said:

ThatOmin said:

Sounds like a good model, if it's basically an actual Genesis model. But uhh...no idea why there would be a pre-order for this. It's a digital product.

Because when the product is completed, there is no real extra manual labor that goes into it other than putting the files behind a pay wall. There is no major convenience to the customer nor inconvenience to the distributor. You're pretty much getting the exact same thing I will get on launch day. This is why most "pre-orders" come with incentives aka you get extra things, or you get the files earlier than everyone else etc but...generic hair and generic bikini...that you more than likely won't use. That is the only way pre-orders benefit the customer in anyway.
  • So what advtage does a G9 have over the G8/8.1?

Realistic measured body porportions? Got those with morphs. And there is no golden rule.

8k maps? They already exist for the G8, just not many peple make them because nobody seems to care.

Chin jaw control, that was the big imporvement of the 8.1...got it.

Quad body with geno morphing..but at the cost of loosing all existing geoshells, grafts and HD morphs.

Well I guess one big advantage is that the figure will load super quick since I won't have any content for it..

Can anyone think of any other advantages?

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861

mogaremolby said:

Artini said:

nonesuch00 said:

I'm looking forward to this Victoria 9 & company. The expressions are so extremely improved and the way fat looks too.

Yes, I am looking forward to Victoria 9 and Genesis 9 items, too.

I like expressions a lot, especially animated.

It is a pity, that Daz is not willing to reveal a details of the V9 bundle.

I also wonder, how and if Victoria 9 will transfer to Unity using Daz to Unity bridge.

Anyhow, great work on this new generation of the figures - well done.

You mean unreal engine? Daz3d figures since G2 have always work will with unity even without A bridge. True you had to put some work in to fix it. But their were tiny problem. And usually take a minute or two to fix baby less. but unreal engine was a complete nightmare to bring a Genesis figure into unreal. Even with the Unreal bridge it still a pain.

Yes, I hope that it will happen, because I use mostly Unity besides Daz Studio.

I have seen a similar quality and animated smiling character in Unity store, that costs over $200.

With Genesis 9 in Unity, I hope to have a similar quality characters to work with.

• charles said:

So what advtage does a G9 have over the G8/8.1?

Realistic measured body porportions? Got those with morphs. And there is no golden rule.

8k maps? They already exist for the G8, just not many peple make them because nobody seems to care.

Chin jaw control, that was the big imporvement of the 8.1...got it.

Quad body with geno morphing..but at the cost of loosing all existing geoshells, grafts and HD morphs.

Well I guess one big advantage is that the figure will load super quick since I won't have any content for it..

Can anyone think of any other advantages?

The one to me most important information is missing:
    How do her joints bend? How many custom JCMs do I have to create, to get rid of weird joints? Will those joints will still look accurate, once your character is not super-skinny anymore?

I think Victoria 9 textures could be used for a male character like Cal Kestis

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033
    edited September 2022

nonesuch00 said:

For the giant $50 extra on the Victoria 9 Pro Bundle I would totally expect the typical introductory Genesis 9 Female Head Morphs, Genesis 9 Female Body Morphs, and Genesis 9 Female Expressions to be included in that Victoria 9 HD Pro Bundle. 

The base morph packs have not been part of the Victoria and Michael bundles since Genesis 1, so I highly doubt it.

Post edited by Leana on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,395

ThatOmin said:

Kerya said:

ThatOmin said:

Because when the product is completed, there is no real extra manual labor that goes into it other than putting the files behind a pay wall. There is no major convenience to the customer nor inconvenience to the distributor. You're pretty much getting the exact same thing I will get on launch day. This is why most "pre-orders" come with incentives aka you get extra things, or you get the files earlier than everyone else etc but...generic hair and generic bikini...that you more than likely won't use. That is the only way pre-orders benefit the customer in anyway.

Hmm, I've never purchased a pre-order and got any "incentive" or anything extra and I get them all the time off Amazon. Oh, I take that back, I once got an digital copy of the movie I preordered once it released along with the DVD.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited September 2022

Leana said:

nonesuch00 said:

For the giant $50 extra on the Victoria 9 Pro Bundle I would totally expect the typical introductory Genesis 9 Female Head Morphs, Genesis 9 Female Body Morphs, and Genesis 9 Female Expressions to be included in that Victoria 9 HD Pro Bundle. 

The base morph packs have not been part of the Victoria and Michael bundles since Genesis 1, so I highly doubt it.

Their perogative as they have the sales data. I'm not paying $50 extra unless the others items are extremely excellent and not so typical. So then I buy the base figure and wait for a bundle that has items I like if it's not to my liking.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,114
    I doubt they will, but I'd love to see a G9 bundle like this G1 bundle: https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-michael-victoria-combo-bundle
  • The Head and Body shapes seem pricey.

Genesis 9 Body Shapes Merchant Resource

$6999.97 -30%

Genesis 9 Head Shapes Merchant Resource

NEW

SALE

$6999.97 -30%

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

Those are merchant resources aimed at PAs.
    The price was most likely set that high so that regular customers don't buy them, and the actual price for PA is likely lower than what regular customers see (though I have no idea what it is).

edited September 2022

$9999.95 $6999.97 (recent best $4899.98) ??? April fool in September ?

Restif said:

The Head and Body shapes seem pricey.

$6999.97 -30%

NEW

SALE

$6999.97 -30%

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • Noah LGP said:

$9999.95 $6999.97 (recent best $4899.98) ??? April fool in September ?

Restif said:

The Head and Body shapes seem pricey.

$6999.97 -30%

NEW

SALE

$6999.97 -30%

Read the post above yours ;-) 

• I'm sure when Genesis 9 is released there will be mortal-priced, non merchnat resource versions of the packs - though I am not sure if they ar the exact equivalent of the standard haad/body morph packs.