Genesis 9 Coming Soon! Preorder Victoria 9 HD Today

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,520

GhostofMacbeth said:

AllenArt said:

The fact that there will be merchant resource hd morphs in the store confirms what you've been saying. You'll need them to base any morphs you make off of, because those contain the morphs not present in the base mesh. I don't know if they'll be available generally to the rest of us or ONLY PA's, but from the copy I've read so far, it states that they are for the Daz PA's. Talk about cutting the other sites off at the knees....

It will be the same as before for the creation of morphs for other sites. Nothing changes there

But it does, as the chest area doesn't have vertices to work with and the only ones that have access to tools to make HD morphs are DAZ PA's

How does a non-DAZ creator make a morph to increase diameter of the pokies or make any changes to them, if the pokies are HD morphs?

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142
    edited September 2022

GhostofMacbeth said:

AllenArt said:

Padone said:

@PixelSploiting As I see it the nipples and navel for G9 will be made with HD, thus will be available only with figures on the daz store. Sure you can use geografts instead, but consider that geografts will lose the HD details when mixed with HD figures. Also having to use geografts to get the basic body features is a nonsense, I agree with @PerttiA on this.

@Leana The G9 unimesh is very limited in body features topology, so non-HD figures will be of restricted use. Essentially while G1-G81 can preserve the basic body features with the base mesh, G9 can't and needs HD for that.

The fact that there will be merchant resource hd morphs in the store confirms what you've been saying. You'll need them to base any morphs you make off of, because those contain the morphs not present in the base mesh. I don't know if they'll be available generally to the rest of us or ONLY PA's, but from the copy I've read so far, it states that they are for the Daz PA's. Talk about cutting the other sites off at the knees....

It will be the same as before for the creation of morphs for other sites. Nothing changes there

I hope not. I mean, won't matter much to me since I don't buy many characters from the other place since they're even MORE female-centric than this place ;)

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • TBH I'm concerned about male characters the most. Shirtless DAZ females usually are coming into play if someone is doing smut, but shirtless guys have more applications.

Of course lack of navel geometry can be seen in a swimwear too, so there's going to be that for G9F.

• TheRetiredSailorTheRetiredSailor Posts: 259
    edited September 2022

Just to play the Devil's Advocate here, are we sure that there will be anotomical elements, "pointies" and navels?  I would certainly think so, but could DAZ be making a push toward totally family friendly content?

Like I said above, I would think these elements would be implemented.  That said, the lack of geometry makes me wonder.  It seems to me that lacking the geometry in the base figure creates way more work than necessary to implement nipples.  As others have pointed out above, this isn't just a sexy woman render issue.  Men at the beach (or where ever) have nipples too.

Post edited by TheRetiredSailor on
  • Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited September 2022

DAZ Blog added G9 description Sept 29.  https://blog.daz3d.com/a-first-look-at-whats-coming-in-genesis-9/
    Seems like same info.  Was hoping for rigging info.  Guess will have to wait to be sure.

Looks like G9 focus is more for portrait artists:  make G9 more realistic, though uni-mesh baffles me in this regard.

Saw one screenshot of new outfit showing bones (not this forum).
    Assume complete rig?
    Soft body physics aka bones that support weights for deforms are not there.

RE: soft body physics
    Most in this DAZ forum seem less interested (well not at all really).
    But to be also fair to other types of users, DAZ has officially (based on that mods said here) decided that the forums here make up only a small portion of users.
    And other types of users will be somewhere else, or not at all.
    So often their voices (like mine) are rarely here.

And if they do post, probably get 'over-written' like Marble's comments a few days ago.

Would love an official response to DAZ's plan re: soft body physics.
    Guessing though more bones and weights just means more issues for their/PA's clothing rigging.  That's one issue of probably more.

So instead users that want soft body physics have to add manually (time-consuming).

WendyLuvsCatz did post a while back about Carrera supporting bullet physics.
    BUT, and this is a big BUT, that was in a day when GPUs/CPUs were much slower and users had to have alot more patience. My IMO.

So in the year 2022 where 24GB vram is a thing for over a year already, it is surprising to me that extra features for soft-body physics are not part of the features.
    Have my guesses why this is so.  

Yeah the new denser mesh may be better. Though others raising issues about mesh structure may be a concern. Will see.

Final note: would love a paid access (DS plug-in) to Level 1 SubD for G8.
    Guessing geografts and add bones will have to remain work around.
    Just takes so much time, which G9 features could have helped with.

Ah well. DAZ is still a 3d figure leader. Just feel they could have been more.

Will see what final rig looks like.  Can't see more bones as a add-on unless it's a 2nd nude figure without clothing support.  Doubtful.

Time is money, yet G9 feels targeted to one kind of users.  To those, have fun.

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,520

TheRetiredSailor said:

Men at the beach (or where ever) have nipples too.

And when skiing down the mountain side, they also get pointy wink 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

richardrhinson said:

bytescapes said:

richardrhinson said:

So clothing might work?
    What about hair?
    Characters?
    Skins?
    Or is this a start from scratch all over again scenario?

Based on what Jay Versluis said, clothing from previous generations will be fitted to the new figure with AutoFit, and tight clothing will work better than loose clothing (this seems to be a general rule with AutoFit).

He demonstrated applying poses to the figure using a script developed by one of the PAs; it looked as if that worked pretty well.

He showed a G8 hair fitted to G9/V9, but if I remember correctly he said that he'd had to work some magic in Blender to make it fit properly.

No mention was made of applying or converting characters from previous generations; I assume that's not going to be possible at launch, but perhaps a PA will develop a converter tool.

Ditto for skins. It sounded from what was said -- or, rather, what was NOT said -- as if you can't just take a G8 skin and apply it to G9. Again, someone might come up with a conversion tool, although that could be quite challenging.

The impression I had -- and I am not an expert on this stuff at all -- was that converting character shapes and skins from G8 to G9 will be more complex than converting G3 to G8.

So it's not quite start from scratch, but it's not likely that you'll be able to use everything you already own on Launch Day, and you may need to buy additional software to use your existing assets effectively.

Let's just say that DAZ weren't making any promises about compatibility.

So for casual artists like myself 8.1 is a hard stop point until V9 is offered for free at some point so we can see if she'll even render on our rigs, and some PA is going to have to do what DAZ did not, which is to provide a path forward for the thousands of dollars already invested into art assets by so many.  Which is fine, because granular face morphs only because an easy thing all of last week on 8.1.... so as big news goes, this was a dud.

The base is always offered for free.

V9 is an addon for Genesis 9, and so will be a paid-for product.

Saxa -- SD said:

DAZ Blog added G9 description Sept 29.  https://blog.daz3d.com/a-first-look-at-whats-coming-in-genesis-9/
    Seems like same info.  Was hoping for rigging info.  Guess will have to wait to be sure.

Looks like G9 focus is more for portrait artists:  make G9 more realistic, though uni-mesh baffles me in this regard.

Saw one screenshot of new outfit showing bones (not this forum).
    Assume complete rig?
    Soft body physics aka bones that support weights for deforms are not there.

RE: soft body physics
    Most in this DAZ forum seem less interested (well not at all really).
    But to be also fair to other types of users, DAZ has officially (based on that mods said here) decided that the forums here make up only a small portion of users.
    And other types of users will be somewhere else, or not at all.
    So often their voices (like mine) are rarely here.

And if they do post, probably get 'over-written' like Marble's comments a few days ago.

Would love an official response to DAZ's plan re: soft body physics.
    Guessing though more bones and weights just means more issues for their/PA's clothing rigging.  That's one issue of probably more.

So instead users that want soft body physics have to add manually (time-consuming).

WendyLuvsCatz did post a while back about Carrera supporting bullet physics.
    BUT, and this is a big BUT, that was in a day when GPUs/CPUs were much slower and users had to have alot more patience. My IMO.

So in the year 2022 where 24GB vram is a thing for over a year already, it is surprising to me that extra features for soft-body physics are not part of the features.
    Have my guesses why this is so.  

Yeah the new denser mesh may be better. Though others raising issues about mesh structure may be a concern. Will see.

Final note: would love a paid access (DS plug-in) to Level 1 SubD for G8.
    Guessing geografts and add bones will have to remain work around.
    Just takes so much time, which G9 features could have helped with.

Ah well. DAZ is still a 3d figure leader. Just feel they could have been more.

Will see what final rig looks like.  Can't see more bones as a add-on unless it's a 2nd nude figure without clothing support.  Doubtful.

Time is money, yet G9 feels targeted to one kind of users.  To those, have fun.

Some of the things you mention (like soft body physics) are probably better implemented in the software rather than the figure. Maybe when DS5 is released?

https://blog.daz3d.com/a-first-look-at-whats-coming-in-genesis-9/

And THIS is what we waited more than a week for? You could have saved your energy. All that was gone over in the video. What people want to know is generally what's in the bundles ahead of time. I ordered the pro bundle and frankly, I'm starting to feel like an ass for doing so. Ya can't give SOME idea? Like one hair, one outfit (average clothing I hope and not sleaze wear), how many eye colors, whether or not gens are included and so forth?

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited September 2022

Just for fun, here is a comparison of the topology of G9, G8, and G2. IMHO G2 had the best human topology for users and vendors to create detailed realistic morphs of any ot the Genesis figures. G3 and G8 significantly reduced the poly count for both the poky bits and for detailed musculature. If there aren't any polys in an area, the average user (i.e. if you aren't a DAZ PA) can't create morphs for a figure in that area. Note how the topology of G2 follows the musculature and features of the human anatomy - this means the mesh shape can be easily modified by the user, and that realistic joint/bend deformations can be easily created by the average user. G9 may have twice as many polygons as G8, but more polys doesn't totally make up for bad topology. Bottom line, it you don't have access to the tool(s) to create HD morphs, you will have to heavily rely on HD morph packages provided by DAZ and/or DAZ PA's to create custom characters (or geografts from creators elsewhere).

While I'm sure for many people this isn't a big deal. If you don't purchase/use characters from anywhere other than DAZ, it won't be a huge deal. If you never modify the base character in a modeling software (or using dFormers or Mesh Grabber) It probably isn't a big deal. But if you do make your own characters, or have a favorite character artist somewhere other than DAZ, it might be a big deal 

Unfortunately, we know virtually nothing about what HD morphs, if any, might be included as a part of G9. We also don''t know what will be included in the the standard head and body morph add-on packages DAZ has always created (or if they will even have them this time). Finally, we have no idea if the gens will be include with the V9 bundle. So at this point there are a lot of unknowns with regard to G9/V9. We do know from Jay's video that there are more spine bones, and that we will need to purchase an add-on to convert G8 poses to G9, which also means that we will need some form of work around to use standard mocap data to animate G9. Otherwise, it's all standard marketing hype with few details that DAZ has gotten so good with lately.

I do really like V9, so I will probably get her once some of these details are clear (probably after release??), and possibly the bundle. But there just are not enough hard facts for me to just pre-invest in her. I am very concerned about the base mesh topology, and what that might mean for non DAZ character creators (and my own character creation) goin forward. I'm not hugely interested in a mesh that I might have to buy even more extras, and rely solely on others work to be able to customize my figures. I enjoy adding my own flare to base characters I purchase. I've found the reduced polygons in certain pokey areas with G8F/G3F very limiting. Missing topology in those areas with G9 means there may be no possibility to edit those areas myself. While I'm sure for most people that's of no concern, but for me it is. It also may mean that creators at other stores won't support G9. IMHO lack of competition isn't good for the customer.

G9 G8 G2 Topology.jpg
    2500 x 1864 - 599K
    Post edited by DustRider on
  • I'mthought Jay did mention Aantomical Eeelemnts. The Merchant Resource body morphs certainly include nipples.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited September 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

I'mthought Jay did mention Aantomical Eeelemnts. The Merchant Resource body morphs certainly include nipples.

Thanks Richard, I missed that in his video. Yes, the merchant resource kit does include nipples, I wonder if DAZ is creating another Body Morph package for G9F, and if that will include muscles and the poky bits. I would guess they would, but I would also have guessed that the topology for G9 would have been much different than what it is surprise

Post edited by DustRider on
  • DustRider said:

While I'm sure for many people this isn't a big deal. If you don't purchase/use characters from anywhere other than DAZ, it won't be a huge deal. If you never modify the base character in a modeling software (or using dFormers or Mesh Grabber) It probably isn't a big deal. But if you do make your own characters, or have a favorite character artist somewhere other than DAZ, it might be a big deal 

I don't modify the base character but it is still a concern for me. I would like the abitlity for others to do character creation and modification outside of DAZ.  The reason is simple, I believe that competition is good for the consumer and the marketplace.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,935

Just read the blog, and this caught my eye!

As a bonus, character artists and creators can speed up their workflow by creating in symmetry and dialing in asymmetry morphs afterward. 

Really killed any concern that I had with character creation; thanks Daz for looking out for the character creators!  This is gonna be a day-one purchase!

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited October 2022

Can someone remind me why normal and displacement maps aren't a suitable replacement for HD details? Based on the few that I own, I feel like I could get more detail out of a very high resolution normal/displacement map exported from Zbrush. 

edit: I said morphs before, and I do notice HD expression morphs (although I don't like them, they make everyone look old). For skin detail or such though, I'd like to know why HD morphs are better. Thanks.

Post edited by SnowSultan on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,859

HDmorphs are better in iray

I would argue displacement and normal are better in most other render engines including 3Delight and Octane

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

SnowSultan said:

Can someone remind me why normal and displacement maps aren't a suitable replacement for HD details? Based on the few that I own, I feel like I could get more detail out of a very high resolution normal/displacement map exported from Zbrush. 

edit: I said morphs before, and I do notice HD expression morphs (although I don't like them, they make everyone look old). For skin detail or such though, I'd like to know why HD morphs are better. Thanks.

This is how I figured I'd probably handle it. Soto's Breast Utilities 2 has a ton of normal maps to add nipple details to the geoshell overlay, and I like the effect better than anything I've been able to get with HD morphs. But I tend to use characters at a lower subdivision and so normal maps are my go-to solution for a lot of detail stuff. 

• narkfestmojonarkfestmojo Posts: 91
    edited October 2022

SnowSultan said:

As I understand it:

Displacement maps can't allow you to create any general deformation of the subdivided geometry, they just displace along a binormal projection from the surface. This can result in stretching of the underlying texture and tearing at the edges.

I believe the proper HD Morphs can deform the subdivided geometry in all 3 directions allowing a skilled artist to avoid stretching and tearing as well as allowing more complex geometric formation that would not be possible with simple displacement.

Post edited by narkfestmojo on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited October 2022

I believe the proper HD Morphs can deform the subdivided geometry in all 3 directions allowing a skilled artist to avoid stretching and tearing as well as allowing more complex geometric formation that would not be possible with simple displacement.

Oh, it works like vector displacement? Still a shame Studio can't support 'regular' vector displacements, you could bring over some amazing stuff from Zbrush if it could. 

Wendy, do you know why they work better in Iray? Can Iray not handle the high detail of normals and displacements? That...would explain a lot of the results I've gotten in tests and been unable to figure out.

Post edited by SnowSultan on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Richard Haseltine said:

nonesuch00 said:

I'm thinking from that Saturday presentation that he said with the high polygon count at base and the changes made to autofit that old clothing will autofit much better.

I was going through today ( 29  Sep 20 22) and looking at products on offer with the 77% off coupon and I have to tell you, sorry, dForce clothing without nice dForce simulation presets to get nice drapes,, with wrinkles and folds, is not working. It would work, maybe, actually has worked, if the clothing is draped and then that set as a preset(s), but this business of dForce clothing with no dForce simulations with nice draping, no. It looks like they are wearing paperdoll clothes.

I don't follow what you are saying, and don't see any connection to Genesis 9.

You did not see the presentation where he stated there are new options with Victoria 9 * autofit?  There is now a baggy option in autofit. The higher polygon count allows for better weightmaps and better calculations for draping the clothing and avoiding pokethrough is what it sound like to me he said. Those improvements should help old style clothing like Genesis 1's fit better shouldn't it?

As far as dForce clothing it looks like cutout paper doll clothing far too often,except for some outfits that have been simulated multiple times with a morph preset saved for each simulation (those usually look OK). That technology is also valid for Genesis 9 and Victoria 9, so it's connected to this thread in that way. 

SnowSultan said:

Oh, it works like vector displacement? Still a shame Studio can't support 'regular' vector displacements, you could bring over some amazing stuff from Zbrush if it could. 

Wendy, do you know why they work better in Iray? Can Iray not handle the high detail of normals and displacements? That...would explain a lot of the results I've gotten in tests and been unable to figure out.

iray doesn't do microdisplacement like 3Delight, Firefly and Octane to name a few, hence the shader has a displacement option that adds a lot to render times and VRAM and still not that great

you only need look at stuff like AoA and DimensionTheory's grass shaders for 3Delight to see the difference and the old M4 displacement maps

(they look great in Octane4Carrara and we also have a phong tessallation plugin by Philemo for our native engine)

but iray loves geometry

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited October 2022

@SnowSultan Yes the displacement map of course will be uv mapped and thus follows the uv maps deformations, but this is so in any software and not a big deal. The difference with HD morphs is that HD morphs are morphs, not textures, that is, they can morph the HD details. Thus with a displacement map you can do a HD shape, but not HD morphs. As a side note the blender multires modifier doesn't support HD morphs, so you have to use driven displacement maps instead, or true HD.

Post edited by Padone on
  • arne207arne207 Posts: 153
    edited October 2022

The more lifelike expressions are appreciated, I wonder though - when G8 was introduced, among the features most advertised were better bends and things like muscle contraction when posing. That's more important to me than even better close-ups. G8 and 8.1 still look somewhat awkward when you e.g. do a "hands in the air"-pose, or when kneeling, and extra packs like ultimate bends or muscularity morphs can only do so much. Will G9 improve these things? The promo pics don't give me a clear answer on that.

And are there possible changes e.g. to hair? Most hairs look bad when when a figure looks way up or way down, even when using dforce. Will that be that same with G9, or does it give new possibilities to the creators?

Post edited by arne207 on
  • sigh i hate preorder.

The Price is now lower than the first day the order was possible...

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

SnowSultan said:

iray doesn't do microdisplacement like 3Delight, Firefly and Octane to name a few, hence the shader has a displacement option that adds a lot to render times and VRAM and still not that great

you only need look at stuff like AoA and DimensionTheory's grass shaders for 3Delight to see the difference and the old M4 displacement maps

(they look great in Octane4Carrara and we also have a phong tessallation plugin by Philemo for our native engine)

but iray loves geometry

Both displacement and HD morphs work on vertices, real or SubD, in Iray - there is no inherent difference in level of detail they can achieve.

• One benefit of HD is that it can readily be adjusted in strength, just a single sldier on the figure vs having to seelct all surfaces in the surface pane. Dispalcement also previews (usually ata  lower level of detail) in any Drawstyle while displacement has to use a full render engine.

• Cybersox said:

My thought is that it's just as likely that Genesis 10 will follow in the path of Genesis 2 and abandon the unimesh aspect.   

That's my expectation too.

Although G10 could end up as separate M and F figures again but both with bad topology. ;-)

So where's that G9 FAQ we were promised by Daz? They didn't mean that simple blog post, did they?

Richard Haseltine said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

SnowSultan said:

but iray loves geometry

Both displacement and HD morphs work on vertices, real or SubD, in Iray - there is no inherent difference in level of detail they can achieve.

then why is it so hard for PAs to make decent displacement shaders for iray?

I would use them because I certainly cannot make them either 

Twilight76 said:

sigh i hate preorder.

The Price is now lower than the first day the order was possible...

That really does piss me off now. I paid about $17 dollars more just a couple days ago. Something I wouldn't even care about if it was already released, but I don't even HAVE it yet. angry WTH are you doing Daz?

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

That's not fair to the people that preordered at the higher price.

Someone from Daz needs to address this.