OT: Windows 10

Okay, Windows 10 really snuck up on me, when I'm just getting used to my dislike for Windows 8. And now it's a free upgrade they keep bugging me about.

Personally, I think Windows features maxed out a decade ago, and it doesn't really need any "improvements" other than making the existing stuff FAR more intutive. Like networking, which I've been using for umpteen decades and still can't figure it out.

And I always try to be the very last guy on the planet to "upgrade" to a new OS since they always seem to have problems for a year or so after release.

But this time I "reserved" a free upgrade. Not sure why. Lost my head.

So does anyone follow this stuff, and can anyone tell me if it was a mistake?

Comments

• kakmankakman Posts: 225

I follow this stuff, to a point.

To avoid being nagged (I am using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit), I simply did NOT install the Windows Update nagging file.

It is my understanding that the free upgrade will be in effect for 12 months after the first official release of Windows 10.

Many folks feel that Microsoft will be moving to the dreaded subscription model for their OS.

I like to wait as long as possible to upgrade as well (I held on to XP as long as possible), so I will wait as long as possible.

Several people have installed Windows 10 already and many have done so using a dual-boot setup but I have read that this does not always work to due the tie-in fro the OS to your hardware configuration.

The initial reactions I have seen is that Windows 10 is an improvement to Windows 8.

As long as you do NOT install Windows 10, I do not see where reserving the upgrade is a mistake.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615

Cool, thanks. I *thought* that once you reserve it starts downloading windows 10 files in preparation for the release date so there isn't a big drain on their servers all at once. And I assumed that on the release date it would just automatically install. It's good to hear they'll give you the option to not install.

edited July 2015

And to elaborate further on the stuff I WISH they'd fix in Windows, but they never will because they want to make me miserable....

Networking. Are you serious? Does anyone understand any of this stuff? I've been using Windows networking since the 80's, and I still have no clue how to do it. All the software is written for network administrators, not users. And I'm sure even the admins don't understand it.

IPV4 and IPV6? Really? In all these years they couldn't come up with more intuitive and user-friendly names for this stuff?

And how many times have you seen "QoS Packet Scheduler"? Does anyone have a clue what it is? I sure don't.

Networking.jpg
    377 x 512 - 138K
    Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
    edited July 2015

And honestly, Windows has this "troubleshooter" feature, right? Like for networking problems and stuff.

So tell me, has anyone ever had the troubleshooter actually figure out what the trouble is? In all my years I can't recall it ever working. It always says "Sorry, Windows has no clue what the problem is".

Is it really that difficult to tell us, at least, "okay, your network isn't working, why not try turning everything off and then on again" ?

And what about the dowload or install or other "progress" indicators? Incredible.

They'll sit there for 10 minutes with "31% complete...", and then suddenly "100% complete". Is it really that difficult to guesstimate how long stuff might take? Heck, I can do a better job at it just by saying, "well, it has taken 10 minutes for 30%, so probably another 30 minutes to finish".

Anyway, I'm guessing Windows 10 will just be another misguided attempt to fix the stuff they ruin with each new version, because with each version they need to find new features that people are willing to pay for, and that means making semi-useless features and building up a lot of hype and telling everyone how great they are. "Wow, this new OS has an incredibly awesome semi-transparent interface with a cool swish graphic, and an incredible toolbar that pops up and always gets in your way".

And then everyone says "WOW, THAT's AWESOME !!!"

We'll see...

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • aspinaspin Posts: 219

You can use windows 10 until they start subscription. Then you can turn back to your old Windows 7 version.

Some things that might be useful: DirectX12, native Oculus Rift support, Mocap with KinectV2 if you don't own Win8.

aspin said:

You can use windows 10 until they start subscription. Then you can turn back to your old Windows 7 version.

Some things that might be useful: DirectX12, native Oculus Rift support, Mocap with KinectV2 if you don't own Win8.

Wow, that sounds doubly scary....

Subscription frown

And turning back to old version frown ....I can just imagine my computer turning into an unresponsive brick

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727

Okay, Windows 10 really snuck up on me, when I'm just getting used to my dislike for Windows 8. And now it's a free upgrade they keep bugging me about.

Personally, I think Windows features maxed out a decade ago, and it doesn't really need any "improvements" other than making the existing stuff FAR more intutive. Like networking, which I've been using for umpteen decades and still can't figure it out.

And I always try to be the very last guy on the planet to "upgrade" to a new OS since they always seem to have problems for a year or so after release.

But this time I "reserved" a free upgrade. Not sure why. Lost my head.

So does anyone follow this stuff, and can anyone tell me if it was a mistake?

I have a friend who does tech stuff for a large heatlh care company in Canada. When they do things like update to a new OS, he is the one who deals with the roll-out. Consequently, he often has a test machine that he uses to play with Windows versions before they are released. He has reported that W10 is much better and more user friendly than W8.1. So I will probably do the free upgrade when it comes out. 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

I've been using Windows 10 Preview since last year, up to 10166 which is near enough to the finished release product..

Works better than 8.0 or 8.1

All apps work ok with no problems ie.. Carrara, DS, Hexagon & Bryce and so on.. yes

• DondecDondec Posts: 243
    edited July 2015

Stezza.. TY!  I've been using 8.1 Pro on all 3 of my boxes... and haha, I must be the only guy who actually likes it.  Anyway, I'll go ahead and reserve W10 then. 

BTW: one of my PCs uses my livingroom TV as a display, another is a touch screen tablet laptop.  Win8.1 metro apps work really well in these environments, especially the touch screen.   Easy to navigate and to see (large fonts).  For plain old PCs users I can certainly understand the lack of perceived value (and the increased mystery).

- Don

Post edited by Dondec on
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,878

I´m really looking forward to any new Windows releases and will be switching to 10 right away. Currently I´m using Windows 8.1 and I quite like it : )

And since I´m a gamer, DirectX 12 sounds especially exciting!!!

using Windows 10 release version now... did a clean install and reinstalled all the 3D apps.. no problems yes

So if you install the free Windows 10 now, will they come along later and say "okay, if you want to continue using Windows 10 you need to sign up for this paid subscription, otherwise you can go back to Windows 8"?

when it's available  to you, you use your windows 8 or 7 key to activate windows 10..

you will then let it update auto or you should be able to download the iso and pretty much do whatever you want with it

it's a free upgrade for only 12 months after that you pay.. it is being dispatched also on USB thumb drive if you want to preorder.. still 9 days till it is available.

The Redmond software giant updated its support lifecycle page to reflect that mainstream support for Windows 10 will run until October 13, 2020, with an extended support phase that lasts until October 14, 2025.

Microsoft's support policy should put to rest fears that it would begin charging users a subscription fee to use Windows 10. That was the big "gotcha" some people were bracing for when it was first announced that Windows 10 would be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users for the first year. However, all that really meant was that qualified users who didn't upgrade for free during the first year, they'd have to buy a Windows 10 license.

Stezza said:

when it's available  to you, you use your windows 8 or 7 key to activate windows 10..

Is the key the 20 digit "Windows activation" code listed under control Panel/System ??

Thanks.

I think I answered my own question...from Microsoft answers website:

"By default, Windows 10 builds are pre-keyed, meaning, you do not have to enter a product key and should not be prompted to enter one even after Windows 10 has completed setup."

Coolness.

Anyway, I'm still not sure about this Windows 10 thing. I mean, I'm still wrestling with Win 8 and all the improvements they made that end up just being such an annoyance. You mistakenly click in the wrong spot and suddenly you've got a different interface for mobile apps. Or that stupid "charms" insanity on the right side. And the screen automatically does stuff that someone somewhere must have thought everyone wanted, but it's just stupid. I drag a window and suddenly its full screen. Or you mistakenly shake the mouse the wrong way and it does something lame.

And I still can't figure out even simple stuff like selections. For some reason the Windows people thought that whenever you try to select part of a word it should automatically select the whole thing, and you have to click twice or something just to insert the cursor.

I have a bad feeling about this 10 thing.... 

And they don't even give the option of "Umm, I've got a freakin' desktop, I don't need all this mobile nonsense". Nobody at Microsoft thought of that?

I don't know, I have a bad feeling.

For us PC users, windows 10 goes straight to the desktop... and it comes with a Start button which was sadly missed.. albeit a revamped start button but is good..

you will be pleasantly surprised if you find 8.1 a hassle like the majority of windows users found it,

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    Stezza said:

For us PC users, windows 10 goes straight to the desktop... and it comes with a Start button which was sadly missed.. albeit a revamped start button but is good..

you will be pleasantly surprised if you find 8.1 a hassle like the majority of windows users found it,

Oh I dont know I thought it was much better than dos 6 ....

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I miss Dos 6, life was so simple back then . . .

But I think I'll stick with my Mac. ;)

and CP/M cool

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

"BDOS ERROR ON A" Such poetry! cool

Maybe now we can understand the cultural meaning behind Carrara's classic "An error occurred."

An error occurred :) I dunno , binary was always good :) Yes, an error has occurred, No an error has occurred :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Stezza said:

and CP/M cool

Oh someone else that used CP/M

I was very young wink

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I used an Amstrad with CP/M  right up until I acquired a 486dx2 66  with windoze 3.11. Oh boy was that a revelation.    I sort of missed out on DOS 

yep.. I had an Amstrad 6128 in the 80's with CP/Mplus, then I had a couple of 386's compliments of a local bank that upgraded to 486's at the time...

I did work experience with a guy that wrote a piece of code for the Voyager 2 probe.. that's my claim to fame lol

Here's a Dos joke for those who missed out on Dos :)

A Spanish magician tells the audience he will disappear on the count of three. He says, "Uno, dos....."
    *POOF*....he disappeared without a tres.

del *.*

cool

edited July 2015

MD and MKDIR are synonyms. You can use either one. If you don't specify any arguments, MD will display its command dialog.

That explains why there are hardly an arguments here, just  dialogs ;)

Post edited by Headwax on