OT: Windows 10

1235»

Comments

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited August 2015

One other awesome benefit of Windows 10 I've found....

1. I searched the web for some help on the Windows Sticky Notes feature, and I found a link for Windows 7 help on that topic.
    2. So I clicked it and it re-routed me to the main Windows 10 support website. Apparently they know I now have Windows 10. Unfortunately there was nothing on that page about Sticky Notes, so
    3. I did a search of the Windows 10 Support website. And the result showed a link to help on Sticky Notes from Windows 7.
    4. Go to step 2.

That's the 3rd time I've tried to find help on a Windows 10 topic and the 3rd time I can't because I get lost in a hopeless loop. So you have that to look forward to smiley

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341

Installed Windows 10 last night, approximately 1.5 hours for the upgrade, and another 20 minutes going through the settings.

So far everything appears to be working.

A couple of things I really like about Windows 10....

The default desktop background is a kinda cool image of a 3D-looking window with some glare and smoke effects. Cool. And the background images I get are some really gorgeous landscapes. And it even asks you if you like this image, and if you say no it changes it and puts up another one. There's a really cool beach photo from New Zealand.

Oh, and as I mentioned before the Search function is much better than previous versions, which were shockingly bad, IMO.

And the Time/Date calendar thingy in the lower right toolbar. The calendar is much nicer and larger than before. And when you have settings to display other time zones (which I use a lot), it now tells you the time in those time zones and whether they are experiencing "today" or "yesterday", rather than just giving you the clock time and you have to figure out what day.

Like I say, with Windows it's best if you don't expect too much. Just be happy with the small stuff.

• LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168

Howdy Everyone,

Microsoft will NOT start charging YOU if you downloaded and install Windows 10.  Starting 29 July 2015, until 29 July 2016 you can upgrade Windows 7 or newer for FREE.  Starting 30 July 2016, if you don't have Windows 10 and want it, you will have to purchase it at normal prices.  If you upgraded prior to that date, nothing will happen.  There is no subscription for Windows 10, today or a year from today.  Microsoft has made no announcements of selling Windows as a service, and even with Office they offer both a subscription (Office 365) and one-time purchase (Office 2013).  So I imagine, if they decided to start a subscription for Windows, they will have both options.  The biggest "boon" for Windows 10, is that Microsoft has commited to support Windows 10 for 10 years, so you won't have to upgrade your OS again until then.

Microsoft FAQ (Official Site) http://goo.gl/x3Woij

:-)

Rich S.

• DondecDondec Posts: 243

I updated 3 Win8.1 PCs yesterday, a laptop and 2 desktops.  One desktop indicated there wasn't enough space on drive C: to begin and allowed me to designate another drive for download storage.  I did, but that update turned out not to be as smooth as the others.  It didn't reload my NVidia driver like it did for the others, leaving one of my 2-flat screens disabled, and the other running in default-driver low res mode.

After the upgrade there was like 200M left on drive C: which wasn't enough for Windows to run smoothly (it needs swap space).  I freed up about 10Gig and manually installed the NVidia Win10 drivers.  I ran Windows Update after that... it needed to load a few more things, then after that all was fine.

All programs including Carrara work just fine on all systems. 

I suppose I should have checked how much room was on drive C: before I started.  My advice is to do a bit of clean up beforehand.

- Don

• DondecDondec Posts: 243

Couple of other items I found that seem important:

How to stop W10 from using your PC bandwidth to update stranger systems:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/windows/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-your-pcs-bandwidth-to-update-strangers-systems.html

How to use Virtual Desktops (this is cool)

http://www.howtogeek.com/197625/how-to-use-virtual-desktops-in-windows-10/

Turn OFF automatic Restarts:

Start – Settings – Update & Security… - Windows Update – Advanced Options – choose “Notify to schedule RESTART”

Where Music, Photos, Apps, Videos will get default stored:

Start – Settings – System – Storage – scroll down to Save locations

Priority to Applications, not background tasks:

Right click Start – System – Advanced system settings – Advanced – Performance Settings… - Advanced – check PROGRAMS

Monitor Calibration (for what its worth )

Start – Settings – System – Display – Advanced display settings – Color calibration

I found the default "priority to Background Tasks" annoying... the little "please wait" mouse icon would appear at random and cause delays of a few seconds or more which I found disruptive.   There's a bunch of discussions about it on the web, some like Programs, some like Background Tasks.  Not sure why Microsoft defaults it to Background Tasks... that seems like a Server setting to me.  Anyway... PROGRAMS for me does seem to work best, and that "please wait" mouse icon... haven't seen it recently.

Hope this helps.

- Don

edited August 2015

Wow, thanks Don. I had no clue about that "stranger systems" thing. Brilliant idea by MS to suck users' bandwidth, but of no use whatsoever for customers, IMO.

Y'know, I suppose you can't blame them for trying to find every opportunity to extract some value from us since they gave us a free OS version, but from my perspective, after paying for the constant re-hash of an OS that hasn't effectively changed in decades, I know I've paid many times over for this OS. Now just leave it, and me, alone. smiley

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    Man, that sounds very (and disturbingly) similar to what the old peer to peer file sharing program, Kazaa used to do. The saving grace is that there is an option to disable it that isn't that onerous.
  • Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,615
    PhilW said:

Amiga DOS was brilliant, way ahead of its time.

I agree. I had an Amiga at home and had to use a PC at work, I kept trying to persuade them to at least try out an Amiga at work but no-one would listen. As they used to say, no-one ever got fired for buying IBM.

These days I've got Amiga Forever on my PC. It's an Amiga emulator with licenced copies of the OS, from the early 1.3 up to 3.1 versions, and it even emulates the CD32 and CDTV. A modern PC with GBytes of memory and GHz on CPU power can emulate an Amiga really well.

• CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207

Don't have windows 10 on my main rig yet... I do however have an Asus Transformer T100 that had win 8.1 , I upgraded to Win 10 and given it's limited 2gb ram, 4core atom processor, 24gb ssd hd, its actually alot perkier in performance!

Now, I also have 2 identical Asus S551 VivoBooks, i7 4500U cpu, I upgraded from 6gb to 12gb ram, 24gb ssd, 1tb hd, dvdrw... One of the 2 I upgraded from win 8.1 to win 10... I have mixed results - the laptop I upgraded to win10 has a built in Qualcomm Atheros wifi adapter, and it seems to turn off and lose connection - unable to scan / see any wireless networks even tho the WiFi led is still shinging bright and active (the FN button turns off the wifi putting it into Airplane Mode). Nothing works except for a reboot. Its as if the Wifi "goes / becomes BLIND and DEAF"

Poking around I found a slight band-aide fix, going into the Wifi adapter's drivers setings in Device Manager, I disabled "allow turn off adapter" which seems to help a litle bit... 

Really annoying since with laptops you don't have a say in hardware , nor can 99% of the laptop hardware be swaped out unlike a desktop / towercase.

Did a driver search - no updates for Qualcomm Atheros wifi adapters. No listing of Qualcomm on the Microsoft win10 site, yet the more common DLINK, Asus, Intel, Cisco brands are listed and supported.

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701

Windows 10 installed itself in my sleep today. I kept postponing the installation, but, while I was taking a nap, it caught me off guard. I thought there would

be problems, but no. This is the easiest installation of Windows I've ever witnessed. In 10 minutes, I was up and running. 

Aside from the installation woes I described, so far the only issue I can think of with Windows 10 is on my Windows 7 laptop. After Win 10 was installed, when I reboot it says it can't connect to my wifi. Even if I try manually, it won't connect. But when I reboot again it connects automatically. Strange. One of those Windows networking things that just happens and you'll never figure it out.

• Cortana is not available in Australia at the moment

Stezza Change your region to USA running it in Adelaide Just talk slowly

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Cortana is not even available in Canada yet.

Tommorrow i upgrade my Daughters before she is off to College, Need time to ensure it is all working properly.

• Installation was quick, but it took an hour to disable and uninstall all crap (wifi sense, ad opt out website and so on), had to tweak the registry to get rid of OneDrive.

I am lucky enough to not have Cortana available in Sweden yet ;)

As long as you create a local user account and not some crap Windows ID everything is pretty much ok unless of course you want all that junk.

Wow, you got rid of OneDrive? I did some searching and everything I saw said you're stuck with it, nothing you can do to disable. What's your secret?

• mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 549
    edited August 2015

This one works:

https://techjourney.net/disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-completely-in-windows-10/

With home edition you must use regedit otherwise you can use the policy editor.

Post edited by mikael-aronsson on

Cool. Thanks...

BAM !!! it's gone...smiley

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128

I have read that Windows 10 has been changed from optional update to recommended update and depending on your settings could download and initiate install automatically. I so want to keep my old machine stable and running on Windows 7 until I save up the money for a new computer with powerful Nvidia graphics card. I don't want a week of fighting fires from an operating system upgrade. How smooth is this upgrade on older say circa 2008 Windows 7 desktops? 

Why is Microsoft being so pushy about this?

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I have it on an older duo core AMD and it runns faster and starts up faster. it utilizes the memory more efficiently. but be aware that it will look like it is sucking up all of your RAM with the System and Compression process. This process is a new method by Microsoft to better utilize your available RAM and provide previously use data faster instead of writing it to HDD in a page file. this is simular to what Linux and MAC do.

http://lifehacker.com/why-is-windows-10s-system-process-using-so-much-ram-1725076206