OT: Windows 10

Comments

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

The good old days of DOS as I recall I got in to it at about DOS 2 while in college.

Still use some of my DOS commands in the powershell window.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Oh, Fortran 4, the joy of filling out little punch cards, now that. Made my heart beat faster ;) 

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

My one and only experience with punch cards was at uni. It involved a trip and spillage. I never went back.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813

I remember writing a program on punch cards for Fortran 3 or 4  (I forget which, I slept since then!) and it took the output from an Infrared Spectrophotometer and combined it with the output from a Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectrometer to make a pretty good guess at what it was analyzing.

That was the hugest stack of cards I ever carried around, and I insisted on rubber-banding them in stacks of 50 just in case I ever dropped it.

I still have my TI-99 and my Apple II-c, both of which still work great!  Today's home 'puters just can't compare to those old ones for stability and longevity.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

My first computer was a TSR 4K computer from Radio Shack. Anything you wanted to do had to be coded in Basic, and if you wanted to save it, it had to be saved on a cassette tape recorder.

We eventually moved up to a Trash80 when we got tired of the 8 color limitation. ;-)

Then a Commodore 64, then an Amiga 500 (upgraded to a 1000), and then nothing else for a long time after I moved out of the folk's place.

Eventually bought a Macintosh Performa 6400, with a 200Mhz Processor, 32MB of RAM (upgradeable to 132 MB if you wanted to mortgage your house) and 2MB of video RAM with a 2.4GB hard drive.

Now I'm using a PowerMac G5 for the forseeable future, which generally works pretty well, and is still speedy enough for what I need, but due to its obsolete architecture, is becoming less and less useful on-line.

I have a Commodore 64 in the attic. It's many years since it was last plugged in & switched on.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Amiga DOS was brilliant, way ahead of its time.

Last time I upgraded my OS, my version of Poser stopped working (not that I used it much, now or then, but I needed it for compatibility testing of a product) and neither Microsoft nor Smith Micro were very helpful about it.  Makes me very wary...

• DondecDondec Posts: 243

CP/M ... oh man, does that bring back memories.  I was an early hobbiest.  64K max ram... that K not M, and no HD... just floppy disks.  Still I managed to write a CAD graphics system on it.  Mouse hadn't been invented yet.   The most sophisticated input device back then was a "Light Pen" (scanned the raster beam to figure out where you were pointing).  Good fun... but incredibly slow (picture of me and my IMSAI 8080, ~1982).

Blast from the past.

- Don

MicroCad1.jpg
    1280 x 856 - 316K
    Fun machines, but I enjoyed the Trash80 more, as I was used to the "OS," from having had the the old 4k.
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

Phil, SM put a patch out that fixed that problem ( they must of got a lot of backlash ), I have PoserPro 2012 and same happened to me.. the patch fixed it and she works fine in Windows 7 thru X

PhilW said:

Last time I upgraded my OS, my version of Poser stopped working (not that I used it much, now or then, but I needed it for compatibility testing of a product) and neither Microsoft nor Smith Micro were very helpful about it.  Makes me very wary...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    Stezza said:

Phil, SM put a patch out that fixed that problem ( they must of got a lot of backlash ), I have PoserPro 2012 and same happened to me.. the patch fixed it and she works fine in Windows 7 thru X

PhilW said:

Last time I upgraded my OS, my version of Poser stopped working (not that I used it much, now or then, but I needed it for compatibility testing of a product) and neither Microsoft nor Smith Micro were very helpful about it.  Makes me very wary..

They only patched Poser 9 and up.

My Poser 7 worked fine from XP to Win7

haven't installed it from Win8 onwards so not sure .. I don't even know where my Poser 7 CD is now...

I guess there has to be a cutoff point eventually sad

Stezza said:

My Poser 7 worked fine from XP to Win7

haven't installed it from Win8 onwards so not sure .. I don't even know where my Poser 7 CD is now...

I guess there has to be a cutoff point eventually sad

I don't think Poser 7 has the problem, I think Poser 8 was when they switched to using Flash for the library.

edited July 2015

aha.. that would be it then ..

but you did make me go a hunting for my Poser 7 CD and install it to see...

took me a while to find it but no problems installing and running on Windows 10 yes

I don't have Poser 8 but it looks like that is the cut off point then sad

edit: further than just loading Poser 7 which does so without problems, that's as far as you can go with it... nothing further works.. buttons, rendering ect..

poser7 on winX.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 174K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 549
    edited July 2015

My first computer was a TSR 4K computer from Radio Shack. Anything you wanted to do had to be coded in Basic, and if you wanted to save it, it had to be saved on a cassette tape recorder.

Hmm, my first was a Sinclair ZX80 (got in summer 1980), came as a kit with 21 IC to solder in there, 1024 bytes of ram (704 where used for the screen so if the application was using over 300 bytes the screen started to shrink, it removed lines from the bottom of the screen), it was so slow that they turned of the screen/tv update when an application was running so just a snow storm on screen until application finish).

I got a 16kb extension memory but couldn't use it, every time I hit a key on the kayboard to hard it would reset....

I still got it, maybe it went under another name in US, not sure.

Post edited by mikael-aronsson on

my first computer game was similar to this.. two controls hooked up to the tv lol

was good at the time laugh

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527

We eventually moved up to a Trash80 when we got tired of the 8 color limitation. ;-)

Then a Commodore 64, then an Amiga 500 (upgraded to a 1000), and then nothing else for a long time after I moved out of the folk's place.

Eventually bought a Macintosh Performa 6400, with a 200Mhz Processor, 32MB of RAM (upgradeable to 132 MB if you wanted to mortgage your house) and 2MB of video RAM with a 2.4GB hard drive.

Now I'm using a PowerMac G5 for the forseeable future, which generally works pretty well, and is still speedy enough for what I need, but due to its obsolete architecture, is becoming less and less useful on-line.

My first computer was the Radio Shack Color Computer known as the CoCo2.  Fun machine at the time.

Franklin Ace.  It was expandable -- came with 2K RAM but had slots for up to 8K.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341

Another Commodore 64 user with it still packed up in my wardrobe gathering dust.

We started with the tsr80 (trash-80) and worked up from there, learned pascal in college then movedon th Military life which was just starting to get into computers more with 8086 and 8088 CPU.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

All you people that worked in all the old computing languages make me feel ashamed. I started my working life using one of these, which was coupled up to a punch tape machine.  The tapes then had to be taken up the the big computer centre in Moorgate to be processed onto printouts.

I have also worked on old teletype machines with Baudit codes, we had to learn to read the Baudit code so that if you made a mistake you could go back and fix it. The tapes were then fed into a different Teletype Machine to transmitt over radio.

oh the good old days.

I have also worked on old teletype machines with Baudit codes, we had to learn to read the Baudit code so that if you made a mistake you could go back and fix it. The tapes were then fed into a different Teletype Machine to transmitt over radio.

oh the good old days.

Yes, it was a fun machine to use, and I think it was using that which made me jump on to computers when my Sons's wanted a ZX80.  That one was set up as a Bought and Sold ledger posting machine, to provide a record of the "forward contracts" made by the Foreign exchange Dealing room of a Major Bank in the City (London). Heady stuff for a first job.

My first experience of any kind with a computer was in school. We (or rather, the teacher) made a punched tape that did something or other (I don't remember what). It was then mailed to the computer centre (about 15 miles away) and a week later we got mailed back a sheet of paper that said something like, "Error."

We never saw the actual computer, although we were shown a photo - it was a room with a bunch of white cabinets in and some people standing around wearing lab coats.

Tim_A said:

My first experience of any kind with a computer was in school. We (or rather, the teacher) made a punched tape that did something or other (I don't remember what). It was then mailed to the computer centre (about 15 miles away) and a week later we got mailed back a sheet of paper that said something like, "Error."

We never saw the actual computer, although we were shown a photo - it was a room with a bunch of white cabinets in and some people standing around wearing lab coats.

I actually got a chance to see the Computer (or probably just one of them) when It came to my turn to take the tapes up to be processed. I had the cheek to ask if I could have a peek. But it was just a peek, through a slightly open door. They did get very protective of their computer rooms back then.

My first computer class was using equipment that was obsolete before I was born -- my high school was one of the elite science schools that got computer equipment funding after Sputnik.

Stezza said:

my first computer game was similar to this.. two controls hooked up to the tv lol

was good at the time laugh

That was my first video game! I think my mom and dad bought it at Sears.

I saved my pennies and bought it from the local chemist shop which in itself is surprising!

The game is now gone... but the chemist shop is still there cool

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615

I like a stroll down memory lane as much as the next guy, but I think it's getting kinda close to the Windows 10 rollout (in a few days) and I'm wondering if anyone has some more info on stuff to be prepared for with Windows 10, and maybe if there are any issues with software like Carrara or anything else. And even it's an OT thread it's nice to stay on topic even if it's off topic. I think.

Thanks.

you must of missed my reply back on page 1

better get to specsavers cool

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/861603/#Comment_861603