Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - ongoing thread

Comments

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,775

FC2C said:

xyer0 said:

FC2C said:

Laurita said:

Which is particularly annoying when you search for knit shaders and these won't show up. I agree that they are nice. 

Hylas said:

https://www.daz3d.com/fc2c-woven-fabric-ms-shaders

99% of folks won't care, but I happen to be a professional in this specific industry so it buggs me to no end... none of the "woven" fabrics in this shader pack are woven! They are all knitted. Completely different technique, different machines, different yarns, different processing, different everything. cool

The shaders do look good though.

Thank you for the kind words! Yeah I had an internal dilemma when naming these haha, I over complicated it and then fumbled the tags as well. People may never find them but I'm glad at least that the people who have seen them seem to like the shaders haha 

@FC2C I'm trying in vain to get displacement, but there's no difference. Then I open up the surface geometry to discover there are no maps. Why/how do you have/get displacement with no map? 

Hi there, I've just been through all of the shaders I haven't seen any that don't have displacement maps, could you let me know which shader you're trying to use?

@FC2C Thanks for responding. I'm using FC2C WF Garter Rib Base (4K) then Shader Rotator (thanks, @Barbult, for reminding me this existed). I didn't look for any instructions. Did I also need to add FC2C WF Garter Rib?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,321

xyer0 said:

@FC2C Thanks for responding. I'm using FC2C WF Garter Rib Base (4K) then Shader Rotator (thanks, @Barbult, for reminding me this existed). I didn't look for any instructions. Did I also need to add FC2C WF Garter Rib?

FC2C WF Garter Rib Base (4K) loads OK with a displacement map for me. Shader Rortator then rotates those maps properly. What shader was on the item before you applied the FC2C WF Garter Rib Base (4K)? Was it Iray Uber or something else?

edited May 8

barbult said:

xyer0 said:

FC2C WF Garter Rib Base (4K) loads OK with a displacement map for me. Shader Rortator then rotates those maps properly. What shader was on the item before you applied the FC2C WF Garter Rib Base (4K)? Was it Iray Uber or something else?

Thanks, @barbult, for testing it for me. I just completed my own test, and it loaded with the displacement map, but for some reason, Shader Rotator removed the displacement map. I'll check to see if it actually rotated but merely removed it. The previous shader was from The Shader Plan: Light Knits by Fabiana

ETA: Nope, there's no rotated displacement map. I remember I've manually rotated maps on things I purchased at TurboSquid. Now to see if I care enough to bother with this. It's a thick mesh (I H Kang), believable as a sweater; so, I'm thinking displacement will give it the definition I was hoping for when I purchased these shaders. Thanks for always being so kind and helpful!

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

I decided to just use one of the FC2C shaders that was vertically oriented, though it wasn't my first or second choice. Thanks, @FC2C & @barbult, for your help.

• FC2CFC2C Posts: 20

barbult said:

FC2C said:

xyer0 said:

FC2C said:

Laurita said:

Which is particularly annoying when you search for knit shaders and these won't show up. I agree that they are nice. 

Hylas said:

https://www.daz3d.com/fc2c-woven-fabric-ms-shaders

99% of folks won't care, but I happen to be a professional in this specific industry so it buggs me to no end... none of the "woven" fabrics in this shader pack are woven! They are all knitted. Completely different technique, different machines, different yarns, different processing, different everything. cool

The shaders do look good though.

Thank you for the kind words! Yeah I had an internal dilemma when naming these haha, I over complicated it and then fumbled the tags as well. People may never find them but I'm glad at least that the people who have seen them seem to like the shaders haha 

@FC2C I'm trying in vain to get displacement, but there's no difference. Then I open up the surface geometry to discover there are no maps. Why/how do you have/get displacement with no map? 

Hi there, I've just been through all of the shaders I haven't seen any that don't have displacement maps, could you let me know which shader you're trying to use?

I haven't come across any without displacement maps, either. I don't find the displacement to be very useful most of the time. It can cause gaps between portions of the garment where there are seams between surfaces. The displacement map is going to be limited by the resolution of the garment, so it is not going to enhance the look of the knit stitches shape. It is curious that the shaders do not even use surface SubD Displacement Level to improve the displacement resolution.  If you want a good chuckle, turn displacement to Max and Extrusion to Max. laughI wonder what circumstances those presets were created for.

My latest whine is that the color selection for the knit ("woven") shaders appears to be just copied from the leather shaders. You can even see the leather texture on the thumbnails. It would have been nice to have a wider selection of color presets for the knits, including some blues and pinks, etc. While the overwhelming set of brown colors may be appropriate for leather, I find those choices very limiting for the knits. I realize I can put any color I want manually into the Base Color channel, and that is what I do. Since the base (white/gray) shaders don't match each other, the base color has to be adjusted anyway when mixing knits in a garment.

Hi there, the colours I included are the ones included for the leathers but they weren't made with the leathers in mind. They are just colours I quite liked at the time and researched to find popular colours, it is just my way of giving buyers quick and easy colours to use, but the way I make my shaders allows people to pick their own colours. I recognise that everyone's uses are different so while I do include quick colours for ease of use I would imagine the majority of users would want to choose their own colours to suit their own specific purposes, so I try to make it as easy as possible for them to do that :)

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,077
    I'm glad to see a second new release from Kara Pitat that returns to offering all license types. I wish she'd go back and add the missing options to the Rim Runner bundle and the Warhawke Gunship, but in the meantime, I think I'll go ahead and get the MK2 when I check out later tonight. I'd like some new ship designs in similar style, but this one's cheap enough after discounts that I don't mind getting it for the improvements.

SU Bunny Suit - I like the softer-looking fabric textures for the top (which could imply a stretchy or elastic neck), but the latex/leather textures could have benefited from having a button or zipper. It wouldn't necessarily have to be functional - just something to provide the illusion that someone could actually put the top on. There seems to be a small indentation in the front of the collar - it makes me wonder if a zipper or button (and seam) might have been planned for it at some point.
  • RaneRane Posts: 144

doubledeviant said:

I'm glad to see a second new release from Kara Pitat that returns to offering all license types. I wish she'd go back and add the missing options to the Rim Runner bundle and the Warhawke Gunship, but in the meantime, I think I'll go ahead and get the MK2 when I check out later tonight. I'd like some new ship designs in similar style, but this one's cheap enough after discounts that I don't mind getting it for the improvements.

I'm glad you like it!  I'm honestly not sure if I can add those, but I'll put in a ticket with DAZ to see if they can for me.  :)  I'm working on a couple of new ship designs, but its a very long process to make it worthy. 

Rane said:

doubledeviant said:

snip

I'm glad you like it!  I'm honestly not sure if I can add those, but I'll put in a ticket with DAZ to see if they can for me.  :)  I'm working on a couple of new ship designs, but its a very long process to make it worthy. 

Awesome! I'm sure the new ones will be great, as your ships always are! :)
  • NathNath Posts: 2,734

Are there no new items today? Today's new banners just lead to the shop or a selection of items at the moment.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,336

There are new items, but the sales page appears to be broken, or at least the link in the banner that's supposed to lead to it.

• RaneRane Posts: 144

doubledeviant said:

Awesome! I'm sure the new ones will be great, as your ships always are! :)

Alright, the ticket has been submitted, it should happen sometime in the near future.  :) 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,336

Really don't see anything "cyber" about the Cyber Cog outfit.

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 299

Did anyone pick up the Unrivaled character? Would you mind sharing an OOB render of his face/head? All the promo images say the beard is separate, but nothing shows him without it.

TIA.

Gordig said:

Really don't see anything "cyber" about the Cyber Cog outfit.

I suppose the idea is more-or-less "steampunk cyborg". It can work - Kroenen in Hellboy (2004) for example.

The Cyber Cog 'mask' isn't something that I think I'd use, but the 'cape' is interesting. Might be able to create some great looks draping it over various outfits. It practically screams "Use me to create a Sith character in your fan art!" ;)

I do wish Nelmi still offered all license types. She has a great eye for making visually interesting and sexy outfits that still look like something a real person might wear in public.
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,275

https://www.daz3d.com/unrivaled-hd-for-genesis-9

Looks promising, but the lighting on the promo images is nothing like I use. I'm not sure how good it would look and if the usual chest issues would be more apparent in less blown-out lighting. 

Timbales said:

Looks promising, but the lighting on the promo images is nothing like I use. I'm not sure how good it would look and if the usual chest issues would be more apparent in less blown-out lighting. 

I'm so, so tempted by this one because he's very close to what I was looking for but missing in a G9 for one of my characters... but the hair textures are a separate package, none of the renders in the morph package show what he looks like without them (except the chest hair), and the hair texture package doesn't even show everything it says is included. No visual on the chest hair, it mentions morphs for mustache and beard in the desc but no visual on those, either; I'm not fond of the hairstyle for this character but would probably use it on a different one... except apparently it will ONLY work on this morph, which is off-putting. It's making me twitchy.

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,155

SilverGirl said:

Timbales said:

I'm so, so tempted by this one because he's very close to what I was looking for but missing in a G9 for one of my characters... but the hair textures are a separate package, none of the renders in the morph package show what he looks like without them (except the chest hair), and the hair texture package doesn't even show everything it says is included. No visual on the chest hair, it mentions morphs for mustache and beard in the desc but no visual on those, either; I'm not fond of the hairstyle for this character but would probably use it on a different one... except apparently it will ONLY work on this morph, which is off-putting. It's making me twitchy.

It implies that the hair - alone - fits other characters: "With the exception of the hairstyle, the hair will only fit Unrivaled." That's what I was going to ask about. Anyone who has it, how does the hair look on another character? The only part of the whole set I'm interested in is the hair - I'm always looking for normal hair for guys. 

paulawp (marahzen) said:

SilverGirl said:

Timbales said:

It implies that the hair - alone - fits other characters: "With the exception of the hairstyle, the hair will only fit Unrivaled." That's what I was going to ask about. Anyone who has it, how does the hair look on another character? The only part of the whole set I'm interested in is the hair - I'm always looking for normal hair for guys. 

That would certainly make more sense than the way I read it; "with the exception of the hairstyle, the hair[style] will only fit..." -- I think I'm just too used to the people around me using that syntax, so that was where my interpretation jumped.

It still seems weird the promo pics wouldn't show everything included, but PA perogative, I guess.

• mal3Imagerymal3Imagery Posts: 710

Here's some render of Unrivaled with DAZ default lighting.

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 323
    edited May 13

This is exactly why I think store pages should include at least one no-clothes-no-hair-no-nothing nude render in completely default dome lighting. The renders above look so different from the ones on the item page that it's difficult to believe they are the same figure.

Among other things, it demonstrates that in low omnidirectional light (e.g. default dome), Unrivaled's surfaces have the very frequent issue with G9 skins I call the red-gray problem. Two-thirds of my G9s are basically unusable unless you put bright direct light on them because their skin in low omni light is an unnatural color. Add Unrivaled to the list ...

EDIT: I'm in a really foul mood today and I realized later that was a bit harsh. Sorry. There are quite a few G9s that are much worse.

It's also kind of amazing how much the hair conceals the fact that the top of his head is ridiculously enormous.

Post edited by columbine on

columbine said:

It's also kind of amazing how much the hair conceals the fact that the top of his head is ridiculously enormous.

I'd kinda looked at his forehead on the promos and gone "...no... it must be the hairstyle... the hairline's just real far back... right?"

Nope. That's... nope. The front part of his face looks too narrow (to my tastes anyway) to the back part, too, on that frontal, and the detailing on his cheeks makes him look older than would work for me.

Thank you so much for the renders, @mal3Imagery. You saved me a bunch of disappointment and a return request. Looks like I stick with my original plan and grab a couple G8s I've been considering, and the utility bundle to convert them up to G9, and hope it goes well. 

• ainm.sloinneadhainm.sloinneadh Posts: 247

SilverGirl said:

columbine said:

I'd kinda looked at his forehead on the promos and gone "...no... it must be the hairstyle... the hairline's just real far back... right?"

Nope. That's... nope. The front part of his face looks too narrow (to my tastes anyway) to the back part, too, on that frontal, and the detailing on his cheeks makes him look older than would work for me.

Thank you so much for the renders, @mal3Imagery. You saved me a bunch of disappointment and a return request. Looks like I stick with my original plan and grab a couple G8s I've been considering, and the utility bundle to convert them up to G9, and hope it goes well. 

If that's ManFriday's converter, it does a great job. I was already happily converting manually when it came out, but I was curious, gave it a try and now use it exclusively. Be prepared to fix the eyeballs with a custom morph, but it's simple enough to do and needs done for any conversion method afaik.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,275

Here's some render of Unrivaled with DAZ default lighting.

Thank you for posting these

ainm.sloinneadh said:

SilverGirl said:

If that's ManFriday's converter, it does a great job. I was already happily converting manually when it came out, but I was curious, gave it a try and now use it exclusively. Be prepared to fix the eyeballs with a custom morph, but it's simple enough to do and needs done for any conversion method afaik.

I was looking at this one: https://www.daz3d.com/rssy-character-and-material-conversion-genesis-8-to-genesis-9-bundle -- mostly because I wanted the ability for everyone to keep their skins, and it doesn't look like the ManFriday one does textures.

SilverGirl said:

ainm.sloinneadh said:

SilverGirl said:

I was looking at this one: https://www.daz3d.com/rssy-character-and-material-conversion-genesis-8-to-genesis-9-bundle -- mostly because I wanted the ability for everyone to keep their skins, and it doesn't look like the ManFriday one does textures.

No, ManFriday's just does the shape. Just as the other poster said, I was doing G8->G9 conversions manually but immediately switched after I gave the ManFriday converter a try. I recently picked up the RSSY "Material Suits" and although I haven't had time to do a lot with them, my initial tests were OK. It might be detouring off this thread's topic, but I can try a couple of examples and post them if you're curious.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,321

SilverGirl said:

ainm.sloinneadh said:

SilverGirl said:

Be sure to read the commercial threads for both products, to get a feeling for user experiences and problems. I have ManFriday's converter and it is very good. It has a problem converting G3 to G9, but I found an easy workaround, which I posted. G8 to G9 is very easy and the results are excellent. It does not do skin conversion. As stated above, you will have to do manual eye morph adjustments, like with any conversion method. For some characters mouth adjustment is needed, too, if they have tiny or exaggerated jaws. This is because eyes and mouths are separate geometry for G9. And don't forget to Adjust Rigging to Shape after conversion, so poses work correctly. I use Shape Rigger Plus Genesis 9 Edition. It makes that task easier, because it handles eye rigging for G9, too. (Eye rigging is not the same as eye morphing. Both are needed.)

paulawp (marahzen) said:

SilverGirl said:

ainm.sloinneadh said:

SilverGirl said:

No, ManFriday's just does the shape. Just as the other poster said, I was doing G8->G9 conversions manually but immediately switched after I gave the ManFriday converter a try. I recently picked up the RSSY "Material Suits" and although I haven't had time to do a lot with them, my initial tests were OK. It might be detouring off this thread's topic, but I can try a couple of examples and post them if you're curious.

Very grateful for the offer, but as long as they're "okay enough" that should probably do it for me. For the most part my goal is to use G8's for incidental characters where I'm not real wedded to the look of them - when one needs Random Shop Clerk 432 or what-have-you. As they age, the G8's are getting cheaper on sales, which is a good price point for that level of character commitment... but I'd rather just have everything on G9 because that's what I have the utilities for, and then I don't have to worry about backwards compatability as well as forwards compatability.

My one exception is this ONE character who is (for lack of a better easily recognizable reference) more of a "Chris Hemsworth in the 1st Thor Movie" sort, and there's just nothing like that in G9, and he's a MAJOR character. I'd like it if the skins worked well, but if necessary I could probably sub in a different one. (Also, I'm turning him a lovely shade of blue due to his particular fae race, so...)

If it's that easy to use, though, I might re-evaluate my stratgey on what products I'm getting.

barbult said:

Be sure to read the commercial threads for both products, to get a feeling for user experiences and problems. I
    have ManFriday's converter and it is very good. It has a problem converting G3 to G9, but I found an easy workaround, which I posted. G8 to G9 is very easy and the results are excellent. It does not do skin conversion. As stated above, you will have to do manual eye morph adjustments, like with any conversion method. For some characters mouth adjustment is needed, too, if they have tiny or exaggerated jaws. This is because eyes and mouths are separate geometry for G9. And don't forget to Adjust Rigging to Shape after conversion, so poses work correctly. I use Shape Rigger Plus Genesis 9 Edition. It makes that task easier, because it handles eye rigging for G9, too. (Eye rigging is not the same as eye morphing. Both are needed.)

Thank you for this suggestion; I had not thought to track down the commercial threads. I really only need G8->9, and ease of use is kind of paramount for me. I have several products in my library already (looking at you, UltraScenery, and a couple of the skin shaders) that are just sitting there because my skill level ran face first into the interface, and my eyes glazed over when I tried to absorb the user manuals. I'm sure they're fantastic products that will work great once I figured them out... I just haven't had the time to manage it.

Also thank you for the rec for the rigger, I've wishlisted it.

And, based on everyone's warnings, will NOT freak out when the eyeballs do a weird thing, and am going to read up on eye morphing.

SilverGirl said:

barbult said:

Be sure to read the commercial threads for both products, to get a feeling for user experiences and problems. I
    have ManFriday's converter and it is very good. It has a problem converting G3 to G9, but I found an easy workaround, which I posted. G8 to G9 is very easy and the results are excellent. It does not do skin conversion. As stated above, you will have to do manual eye morph adjustments, like with any conversion method. For some characters mouth adjustment is needed, too, if they have tiny or exaggerated jaws. This is because eyes and mouths are separate geometry for G9. And don't forget to Adjust Rigging to Shape after conversion, so poses work correctly. I use Shape Rigger Plus Genesis 9 Edition. It makes that task easier, because it handles eye rigging for G9, too. (Eye rigging is not the same as eye morphing. Both are needed.)

Thank you for this suggestion; I had not thought to track down the commercial threads. I really only need G8->9, and ease of use is kind of paramount for me. I have several products in my library already (looking at you, UltraScenery, and a couple of the skin shaders) that are just sitting there because my skill level ran face first into the interface, and my eyes glazed over when I tried to absorb the user manuals. I'm sure they're fantastic products that will work great once I figured them out... I just haven't had the time to manage it.

Also thank you for the rec for the rigger, I've wishlisted it.

And, based on everyone's warnings, will NOT freak out when the eyeballs do a weird thing, and am going to read up on eye morphing.

If you want to do more with Ultrascenery, come hang out with us on the Ultrascenery thread

UltraScenery - new(er) territory [Commercial] - Page 18 - Daz 3D Forums

(That's just the current latest page on a long and winding road you can go back through as far as you want/need.)

Barbult is the resident USC pro! smiley

paulawp (marahzen) said:

If you want to do more with Ultrascenery, come hang out with us on the Ultrascenery thread

UltraScenery - new(er) territory [Commercial] - Page 18 - Daz 3D Forums

(That's just the current latest page on a long and winding road you can go back through as far as you want/need.)

Barbult is the resident USC pro! smiley

Oh thank you! Will definitely check this out. It's so beautiful in renders, I'd really love to have it as part of my working arsenal. Probably start on page 1 or I'll be lost, but I'll catch up eventually!