A Thread for Items with the "Editorial License"

Comments

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,389

murgatroyd314 said:

I wonder if Daz is aware that the word "droid" is a registered trademark of Lucasfilm.

Wonder how they managed that as it was used in Sci-Fi back in 1952 before Star Wars came out 

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156
    edited May 17

Robert Freise said:

murgatroyd314 said:

I wonder if Daz is aware that the word "droid" is a registered trademark of Lucasfilm.

Wonder how they managed that as it was used in Sci-Fi back in 1952 before Star Wars came out 

Spent the money to register the tm and have the lawyers to defend it. Gross oversimplification. Even so, they did it and a little game once called Battledroids was forced to become a little game called Battletech. Then, Battletech lived a life of its own. Along similar lines, the design of the a-wing starfighter is patented. I suppose that would be true of all the starfighters in the movies? IDK.

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • PitmaticPitmatic Posts: 872

This is very close to "Silo"

https://www.daz3d.com/down-deep

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 387

Pitmatic said:

My first thought was, "Well, there's only so many ways to go with 'giant underground bunker,'" but then I looked at some images from the show (which I haven't watched), and I have to say, you've got a point.

(I bought it anyway; no one who reads my stuff will recognize what it resembles.)

Amusingly, MY immediate concern with the set was that I cannot easily use that "MECHANICAL" door. The font, and the (completely-out-of-place-with-the-rest-of-the-design) Art Deco flourishes on the door, put that door straight into Bioshock territory. Unless, of course, I decide I deliberately want to invoke that sort of feel ... which, honestly, I might.

• DarkEleganceDarkElegance Posts: 356

I have a concern as there is no notation that it is “licensed by...” or “in conjunction with” or anything similar. Perhaps Daz could include that in the description?

Can we get a notation on “fan” items, to denote if they are licensed?

As I bought a set of armour that I enjoy using, to find out it is a so similar to Crysis game armour, it makes it almost impossible to use now. So I am leary to purchase further.

• NathraiNathrai Posts: 67

DarkElegance said:

Can we get a notation on “fan” items, to denote if they are licensed?

As I bought a set of armour that I enjoy using, to find out it is a so similar to Crysis game armour, it makes it almost impossible to use now. So I am leary to purchase further.

Oh yes, I wish it was required to declare products based on other people's intellectual property, not just at DAZ but everywhere. I hate finding out that something I purchased is unusable because it was "inspired" by an actual IP.

I still own the Clockwork Familiar which was pulled once it turned out to be "inspired" by a web comic - never used it of course once I learned it wasn't an original design. Wonder how many other products I own that might get me into trouble for being too similar to someone else's creation.

• ValiskaValiska Posts: 80
    edited May 17

OK, that's it. I can't buy most new products at Daz. This is just too hazardous. I don't watch enough media to recognize otherwise-obvious knockoffs of commercial creations.
    I think I can make exceptions for mal3imagery's clothing and MartinJFrost's plants, and a few others. But I guess I'm mostly done.

Post edited by Valiska on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

It isn't reassuring. I watch too much stuff, am an avid gamer, and have not touched many things in store recently. Just like this one XI Swoop Bike | Daz 3D, I will not touch it. It's not EL, but it's too close to something else. 

I was wondering what happened to the Star Trek Fan Bundle. Again, anyone can report IP theft.

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,289

AgitatedRiot said:

It isn't reassuring. I watch too much stuff, am an avid gamer, and have not touched many things in store recently. Just like this one XI Swoop Bike | Daz 3D, I will not touch it. It's not EL, but it's too close to something else. 

Same here. If something has an addon that is editiorial, it's usually a matter of different textures on the main product. For that very reason, I passed on Harlow 9 Pro Bundle. Too many items that had "editorial license" addons. They make me uncomfortable.

I understand DAZ wants to tap into that market. But I really wish they kept editorial and fan stuff separate from their main flagship products.

• stelaristelari Posts: 80
    edited May 18

columbine said:

Pitmatic said:

My first thought was, "Well, there's only so many ways to go with 'giant underground bunker,'" but then I looked at some images from the show (which I haven't watched), and I have to say, you've got a point.

(I bought it anyway; no one who reads my stuff will recognize what it resembles.)

Amusingly, MY immediate concern with the set was that I cannot easily use that "MECHANICAL" door. The font, and the (completely-out-of-place-with-the-rest-of-the-design) Art Deco flourishes on the door, put that door straight into Bioshock territory. Unless, of course, I decide I deliberately want to invoke that sort of feel ... which, honestly, I might.

I called this out for the previous Silo release (https://www.daz3d.com/silo-cafeteria), but it's still available without an editorial license. I wouldn't want to use either of them in a commercial way though.

Post edited by stelari on
  • DarkEleganceDarkElegance Posts: 356

joanna said:

AgitatedRiot said:

Same here. If something has an addon that is editiorial, it's usually a matter of different textures on the main product. For that very reason, I passed on Harlow 9 Pro Bundle. Too many items that had "editorial license" addons. They make me uncomfortable.

I understand DAZ wants to tap into that market. But I really wish they kept editorial and fan stuff separate from their main flagship products.

Perhaps they could make a different category, separate from the main market. It would mean items with the EL would be separate and wouldn't get “accidentally bought”. It could also mean there could be an entire section just for "fan art" items.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,017

Nathrai said:

DarkElegance said:

Perhaps they could make a different category, separate from the main market. It would mean items with the EL would be separate and wouldn't get “accidentally bought”. It could also mean there could be an entire section just for "fan art" items.

For me it's not even an extra category, I'ld already be happy if stuff actually got flagged correctly!

I put Deep Down into my wishlist, not even realising it was stol... "heavily inspired" by a TV series. PerspectX and TangoAlpha went straight to the "no buy" list for not even having the basic human decency to reference their "inspiration". This is plain and simply scamming customers. Imagine I used those in a commercial project!

Well, "Silo - Cafeteria" does have the "source" of inspiration right in the name. I don't know hoe much more direct you can get in referncing and direct warning. Also, keep in mind that the texts for the products might or might not have been edited by DAZ peeps.

• NathraiNathrai Posts: 67

BeeMKay said:

Well, "Silo - Cafeteria" does have the "source" of inspiration right in the name. I don't know hoe much more direct you can get in referncing and direct warning. Also, keep in mind that the texts for the products might or might not have been edited by DAZ peeps.

Which still requires one to know the series beforehand (which I for example didn't), especially when it's just a common English word. So no, the name does in no way warn customers.

Well, I was just indirectly asked to take my business elsewhere when I don't want to deal with behaviour like that. I'll get a few of the scripts I still wanted for my workflow and then I'll just head that advice.

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,950

BeeMKay said:

Nathrai said:

DarkElegance said:

For me it's not even an extra category, I'ld already be happy if stuff actually got flagged correctly!

I put Deep Down into my wishlist, not even realising it was stol... "heavily inspired" by a TV series. PerspectX and TangoAlpha went straight to the "no buy" list for not even having the basic human decency to reference their "inspiration". This is plain and simply scamming customers. Imagine I used those in a commercial project!

Yeah, I think it could be more direct on where it's from because I am completely clueless as to where it's from. 

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 387
    edited May 18

benniewoodell said:

BeeMKay said:

Nathrai said:

DarkElegance said:

Yeah, I think it could be more direct on where it's from because I am completely clueless as to where it's from. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silo_(TV_series) 

Post edited by columbine on
  • benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,950

Oh it's on Apple TV, that's why I've never heard of it. I like Rashida Jones and Tim Robbins, if it ever shows up on another channel I'll have to check it out! Thanks for letting me know which show the item is from. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I wouldn't know any of these franchises as don't use pay TV at all

so much stuff I have unknowingly bought inspired by something 

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,314
    edited May 19

Well, at a certain point, (pretty much) everything is inspired by something that came before. Even - and, I would argue, especially - franchises draw on pre-existing ideas. If I write up a story/comic/RPG game/whatever based on completely alien, unrelateable plots, subjects, characters, settings, objects (assuming I could even come up with something that was not based on pre-existing ideas, which is a big assumption), who is going to ... relate to it? Care? Be interested? Take Star Wars: it's inspired by every outer space/fighter pilot/amorphous "evil empire" movie (TV show, book, comic, etc) that came before it. It was not written in a vacuum; it's a recombination of existing elements. The party that owns the IP property of the Star Wars universe can reasonably claim the unique characters, places and things that were created for Star Wars and its various official sequels, products and so on. However, they don't get to own the basic ideas and objects that they themselves adopted from pre-existing fiction and reality. They can own the exact shape and markings of R2-D2 or unique gadgets attached to a long leather jacket. They don't get to own the idea of a long leather jacket. Or of generic round robots. Every western ever had long leather jackets; practically every early space movie had round robots. Hence, I am not worried about using generic objects which could, given the right accessories or textures, become a recognizable piece of IP. 

Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,017

Nathrai said:

BeeMKay said:

Which still requires one to know the series beforehand (which I for example didn't), especially when it's just a common English word. So no, the name does in no way warn customers.

Well, I was just indirectly asked to take my business elsewhere when I don't want to deal with behaviour like that. I'll get a few of the scripts I still wanted for my workflow and then I'll just head that advice.

Was my reply insulting you in any way? if yes, I apologize. English isn't my first language, and things I say can come across differently than I meant them.
    edited May 18

Yeah, it's true that practically everything draws on something that came before. And you can't copyright an idea. It's the specific expression that's copyrightable. (For people unfamiliar with the subject: copyright, patent, and trademark are different areas of intellectual property, They protect different interests and don't work the same way.)

The state of various arts causes many items from competitors look fundamentally similar. Anything that doesn't have those characteristics won't be functional in the same way. World War II fighter aircraft have a look, e.g. So do modern stealth fighters.

The style of the times also makes competing items look. Cars: the modern ones mostly look a lot alike. Mid-20th century science fiction book covers: they have a look, too, and I've intentionally rendered a piece to recall that style (but not a particular paperback cover). If you go back to the right era in science fiction, rockets always look like V-2s. And so on.

Star Wars has obvious genre influences from earlier in the 20th century, and was an intentional homage to the same. It also takes some visual inspiration from other cultures.

General similarity isn't a problem. Neither is marked similarity in form dictated by function, or historical homages, or creative recombination of existing ideas. If we couldn't do this, we couldn't create at all.

What's disturbing, though, is the idea of accidentally nearly replicating something non-functional and visually distinctive from a recent work, because I never saw the recent work. I at least want to know what the work is, and what the element is, so I can decide for myself if I think it's too close a likeness, too distracting even if permissible, and so on.

In the past I figured some of the historical clothing absurdities (that weren't inspired by the obvious) were inspired by movies I didn't see. But I mostly didn't buy those, or bought them only for particular individual elements. I'd never use the whole thing at once. With other sets, though the genre and most prominent inspiring works are obvious, there's nothing unique and distinctive about any individual item. So it didn't matter.

There are only so many credible ways to arrange the human face, and with billions of people on the planet, there are a fair number of people who bear startling likeness to others they're not related to. I still think I see one non-editorially licensed model in the shop that's very likely inspired by a particular real person ... that even I recognize, because he's not a movie actor.

I'm no longer sure I can keep track well enough.

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,114
    I'd wishlisted both Silo Cafeteria and Down Deep on release, assuming them to be "unique enough" takes on Fallout's Vaults or the general idea of a post-apocalyptic underground shelter for survivors. Prior to this thread, I don't recall having heard or read anything about "Silo" - which seems to be a show on Apple TV (2023) based on a series of short stories and novellas (2011-2013).

I find most Western media these days severely lacking (with some rare exceptions), but even so, I'm often aware of various "hot" new releases through word-of-mouth, reviews, marketing, etc. Silo seems... little-known? Not the kind of thing to which familiarity should be assumed, at least.

I don't know how close these specific products look to sets from the show (having not seen it), but I'm glad I didn't buy and use them only to later realize a potential problem. Could some form of "Great for fans of Silo and Fallout!" work for product descriptions? That'd be sufficient to indicate that potential buyers might want to check out the mentioned properties and judge for themselves whether the items are distinct enough for their personal comfort. And it would do so without a statement that might be construed as admission of direct adaptation. Books use that sort of phrase for taglines and marketing sometimes.
  • ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,457

I wouldn't mind some 1950-70's inspired Scifi ships/vehicles, weapons, clothing/space suits (some here would hate those cause some can be skimp wear look) , aliens/robots including aliens that look like they are wearing latex masks look. One of the reasons I like playing the Fallout 4 game as it has a 1950's scifi look can't watch the tv series but betting there'll be be some Fallot inspired products here soon and Doctor Who too which would love BUT would kill me cause like the Star Wars stuff would so would love to buy use but it'd be sad not to be able to sell art created with them maybe one day might cave in just for fan art creation at least with most of these inspired products would know what they were and not sell as art and accidently get into trouble unlike some other products

The reality is that anything can be called into question from the generic square/rectangular box with latches suitcase to the bikini or the everyday sundress or basic handtools like hammers and screw drivers

edited May 19

I happen to have read the short story that started the Silo stuff -- it's "Wool" by Hugh Howey, a well-done grim dystopia if that's what you fancy -- but I didn't read the rest he wrote when the story became a bestseller, because it so happens that's not what I fancy. And I didn't realize there was a video series. 

Underground retreats from disasters on the surface are an old idea in science fiction -- "Tumithak of the Corridors" by Charles R. Tanner is from 1932, and obviously that's what the Morlocks did in The Time Machine, to say nothing of a couple of flavors in William Hope Hodgson's The Night Land, from 1905.

There are a lot of ways to visually present the basic concept. The question for me is, are the renderings going to hit viewers over the head with visual similarity to a recent work? If they are, I don't want to use that set by accident.

Valiska said:

I happen to have read the short story that started the Silo stuff -- it's "Wool" by Hugh Howey, a well-done grim dystopia if that's what you fancy -- but I didn't read the rest he wrote when the story became a bestseller, because it so happens that's not what I fancy. And I didn't realize there was a video series. 

Underground retreats from disasters on the surface are an old idea in science fiction -- "Tumithak of the Corridors" by Charles R. Tanner is from 1932, and obviously that's what the Morlocks did in The Time Machine, to say nothing of a couple of flavors in William Hope Hodgson's The Night Land, from 1905.

There are a lot of ways to visually present the basic concept. The question for me is, are the renderings going to hit viewers over the head with visual similarity to a recent work? If they are, I don't want to use that set by accident.

Not to mention underground silos for civilians during the cold war era 

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,457

well now few people will pretty happy now they have some alernative options for products to use for fan art and nothave to worry about any editorial licencing. First up we have MK Pigsy inspired by Pigsy from the tv series Monkey (or one of the other versions) even has his rake from memory he did revert more back to more pig like like here, the headband in the clothing is like what Monkey wore hell the PA is named wsmonkeyking maybe they'll do versions of Sandy, Monkey, Tripitarka and Horse/Dragon that became hume of cause Rawart's Royal Eastern Dragon 2 would be perfect for the dragon

Then we have MightyMite who has spoiled us with so many alternave and classic versions of comic, movie and tv  character outfits kitbashing outfits and for g3/8/9  

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,641

Valiska said:

I first encountered Wool when it was first written and only available on Kindle. It was about the same time I was writing my first book. Hugh, the author of Wool, wrote in his spare time while working in a bookstore. He threw it up (self-published), never marketed it or utilized DRM (much like Stephanie Meyer did back in 2005 for Twilight) which allowed him to reach a wider audience. Ironically, despite his book being number 1 on kindle, any door he knocked on remained closed. Major book stores rejected his offer for author signings. At SF conventions he was ignored for the most part, while traditional published authors glowed in the limelight. Later he was hounded by agents & film producers and eventually he accepted an agent. The rest is history. Gavin Bocquet designed the set. He did some work on Indian Jones and the Star Wars Prequels. His work is unique and easily identifiable.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,883

I think the Spinner is from (Judge) Dredd, but does anyone have any guesses what the conference room was modeled after?

• Pretty sure the Spinner is actually from Bladerunner, unless one or the other production was into borrowing vehicle designs from the other. laugh

Then again, stranger things have happened.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156

The Spinner is from Bladerunner.