A Thread for Items with the "Editorial License"

Comments

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156
    edited June 4

Fascinating. laughthat's My response for @Gordig and @Matt_Castle above. Also +10 and thanks for the shenanigans 

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • hjakehjake Posts: 837
    edited June 5

Ok now I cancel those tangents with a different angle!!! ...  I would offer my 2 cents but I need them for my next purchase.

A much more pronounced indication of the editorial license and the ability to filter them out makes practical sense and better optics for DAZ. In the past I mistakenly purchased editorial licenced items because I did not notice the license indication. On both occasions I was buying numerous items during a sale nearing its end.

To give credit to DAZ when I did realize my error, due to this thread I should add, they gave me a refund and the world was rosey again. An additional note, one of those items was past the return time limit and in my request to them I explained my error and they honoured my refund request. So thank you DAZ. :-)

HOWEVER!!!!

1. I would not have made that error with a filter and a more OBVIOUS editorial licence notice. BIG BOLD RED PRINT MIGHT HELP. Requesting a refund wasted time for both DAZ and myself. Maybe a notice in the checkout cart boldly indicating which items have editorial licenses.

2. The optics are bad because it can be perceived as trying to slip one past a customer. Especially if they are buying multiples items during a flash sale. I am performing DAZ shopping therapy.

It is not pleasant to treat every item I drop in my shopping cart as the new lease agreement at a dubious car dealership. Which reminds me, why doesn't DAZ offer the rust-proofing with the metallic DAZ items I purchased?!?

Post edited by hjake on

@hjake It's a good angle yes

• NathraiNathrai Posts: 67

That would be immensely helpful, especially a filter (in both ways - don't show ELs and only show ELs). But then Daz would also have to enforce the rule to put everything into the category that belongs there. Right at release, ideally - but if something slipped through (just like customers, not everybody at Daz can know every IP out there), they'ld have to immediately move it there, instead of doubling down.

Like you said, it's not just an inconvenience to customers otherwise, it's also fairly bad PR for Daz.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,880

https://www.daz3d.com/the-highland-folk-armoury-for-genesis-9-8-and-81-texture-add-on

I misread the page at first and thought it wasn't ELed, which made it really confusing when I saw that they were using the actual names from LotR.

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,457

it's a lot harder when you buy a bundle and gotta go through every item and again if some item requires a specific other item to use you gotta look those up there has been a few times EL items have been hidden that way or you accidently buy them because of that

Shockingly NOT BW Galactic Dancer.

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,457

Gordig said:

yeah I was suprised too and I've wanted this outfit too so happy didn't get the EL took screenshot of sales page as proof in case it goy removed and readded with it. Maybe because it's kinda been erased of sorts from Star Wars merchandise everything that used that outfit was discontinued plus the term "s-a-e" is a naughty word and is not allowed either (Boba Fett's ship name was renamed too, and probably can't say What Anakin and his mother was) offically but many others have cashed in on it still via cheap versions of the costume to accurate cosplay versions and used in other media and there are variations used elsewhere by dancers 

EL or not, everyone knows that's a Slave Leia outfit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,744
    edited June 13

The only editorial license product  I have purchased to date was GOT sword,  and only cause it triggered a stacked discount for 10x more than the price. 

Math made me do it. 

Post edited by FirstBastion on

Gordig said:

I don't know that also be a typical Princess of Mars outfit. Heck even some of the princesses that live near my keep. :-)

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636

hjake said:

Gordig said:

I don't know that also be a typical Princess of Mars outfit. Heck even some of the princesses that live near my keep. :-)

No. Look closely at the details of the belt and bra. 

hjake said:

Gordig said:

Seems pretty 1:1 to me.

• jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 482

Vanishing Point's catalog has IP all over the place, but no ELs.  Will this stuff get slapped with the EL later after people start buying?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387
    edited June 14

jjmainor said:

Vanishing Point's catalog has IP all over the place, but no ELs.  Will this stuff get slapped with the EL later after people start buying?

Those products have been sold with normal license at other stores before, so my guess would be "probably not".
    Obviously I don't have an official answer, so I might be wrong.

Post edited by Leana on

I think we'll have to recognize some of the "should be EL" stuff for ourselves.

edited June 14

Gordig said:

+10000! laugh I heard an interview once that Carrie Fisher ended up with that costume because she complained that her earlier costumes made it hard to tell she was a woman. Then they gave her the bikini.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,389

Torquinox said:

Gordig said:

+10000! laugh I heard an interview once that Carrie Fisher ended up with that costume because she complained that her earlier costumes made it hard to tell she was a woman. Then they gave her the bikini.

Actually she stated that it wasn't her choice and that she hated it 

edited June 14

Robert Freise said:

Actually she stated that it wasn't her choice and that she hated it 

Yes, no doubt true. More importantly, you've confirmed there was an interview and I didn't just imagine it!

• myotherworldmyotherworld Posts: 591

Anyone have any throughts on the new "Vanishing art" stuff hit the store . that is not showing any info on what type of licence it is sold under.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305

myotherworld said:

Anyone have any throughts on the new "Vanishing art" stuff hit the store . that is not showing any info on what type of licence it is sold under.

Vanishing Point, and if no other license type is specified then it is the standard license.

When I first checked Vanishing Points' store last night, there were a lot of direct reproductions of car models, including the model name, that were marked as inactive. I just checked again, and I don't see those models listed anymore.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,641

Richard Haseltine said:

myotherworld said:

Vanishing Point, and if no other license type is specified then it is the standard license.

Thank you.I have several items in my cart.  It's really tough to support these vendors when no readme exists and no license is stated. Been sitting on a cart wondering about license issues and except for this post, would have dumped it and walked away. Altough I have commercial flight interiors, jets amd PW's stuff, I need more planes for a book trailer. IMHO not indicating a license or having a readme truly jeopardizes the success of a sale.

• myotherworldmyotherworld Posts: 591

Richard Haseltine said:

myotherworld said:

Thanks you Richard 

edited June 17

ok those picutres make it pretty clear she is a Star Wars princess, but I'm sure she could stop by Mars for high tea. smiley

Post edited by hjake on

hjake said:

ok those picutres make it pretty clear she is a Star Wars princess, but I'm she could stop by Mars for high tea. smiley

You make a good point.

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 387

From private comments I made to someone elsewhere:

The interesting thing about Lianna is that she is not particularly Mystique-ish, not even in her "Darkholme" skin color set (AKA Mystique Blue, a very particular, highly saturated blue-green which will ALWAYS invoke Mystique for some of us no matter who it's used on). If you look at her without the makeup, it is extremely obvious that her features are nowhere near as sharp as the way Mystique's are usually drawn, and that she actually bears a very strong resemblance to Ana de Armas--a fact SOMEONE was aware of, because Giant Joi is buried smack dab in the middle of the images on Lianna 9's page.

Maybe this is for the best; if she bore more direct resemblance to Mystique then we'd enter a brave new world where the figure itself might have EL problems.

Anyway, only the Femme Fatale add-on pack is under EL, but honestly since my primary concern is not having people look at my stories and say "Oh, hey, this character's supposed to be Mystique," I have to go with a more stringent standard and can't use the base Femme Fatale outfit either ... nor can I use the hair unless I remove the little skull on the forehead.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,030

columbine said:

From private comments I made to someone elsewhere:

The interesting thing about Lianna is that she is not particularly Mystique-ish, not even in her "Darkholme" skin color set (AKA Mystique Blue, a very particular, highly saturated blue-green which will ALWAYS invoke Mystique for some of us no matter who it's used on). If you look at her without the makeup, it is extremely obvious that her features are nowhere near as sharp as the way Mystique's are usually drawn, and that she actually bears a very strong resemblance to Ana de Armas--a fact SOMEONE was aware of, because Giant Joi is buried smack dab in the middle of the images on Lianna 9's page.

Maybe this is for the best; if she bore more direct resemblance to Mystique then we'd enter a brave new world where the figure itself might have EL problems.

Anyway, only the Femme Fatale add-on pack is under EL, but honestly since my primary concern is not having people look at my stories and say "Oh, hey, this character's supposed to be Mystique," I have to go with a more stringent standard and can't use the base Femme Fatale outfit either ... nor can I use the hair unless I remove the little skull on the forehead.

Already went there with https://www.daz3d.com/unforgettable-hd-for-genesis-9 and his add-ons. 

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 387

memcneil70 said:

Already went there with https://www.daz3d.com/unforgettable-hd-for-genesis-9 and his add-ons. 

Oh, yes, very true! I always forget he's under EL, especially since (going against their stated policy) I could have sworn he wasn't under EL for at least a short while after he was first released.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305

columbine said:

memcneil70 said:

Oh, yes, very true! I always forget he's under EL, especially since (going against their stated policy) I could have sworn he wasn't under EL for at least a short while after he was first released.

I don't recal that being the case, unless it was on the day of release: there has been at least one case in which a mistaken license was corrected very soon after release but that really was very soon - within the first half-hour, I think.