A Thread for Items with the "Editorial License"

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,880

Oh yeah. Still doesn't answer my actual question, though.

• jepegraphicsjepegraphics Posts: 873
    edited May 31

Two of the screenshots I used as an inspiration - from the Netflix Series "Altered Carbon" from 2020. 

AC-Screen-05.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 356K
    AC-Screen-10.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 448K
    Post edited by jepegraphics on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,030

I came here to find out about the conference room also. I just don't play games, rarely, if ever now watch movies or TV series, even spin-offs of genres I used to love. 

I didn't buy the underground products, not because of the editorial licenses, but because I am phobic about enclosed spaces, along with heights and the renders triggered me. Then I saw the license. 

I am all for the license being referenced to its source. It would let me know just how much danger I would be in. I don't render for commercial use, rarely post even on the forums, but still, when I see the items I have bought already in my Runtime, I hesitate to use them. I have to a large degree backed off buying them, except by accident. That flying/hover bike thing I didn't recognize as a knockoff.

Mary

• christine13blackchristine13black Posts: 12
    edited June 1

Pitmatic said:

This is very close to "Silo"

https://www.daz3d.com/down-deep

To me this looks like bioshock

(Post edited by mod to pull post from quote)

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,030

jepegraphics said:

Two of the screenshots I used as an inspiration - from the Netflix Series "Altered Carbon" from 2020. 

Thank you. I was still typing when you posted. Netflix is another stream service I don't pay for. No idea what 'Altered Carbon' is or was. 

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 387

In the current fragmented media landscape, I find that I miss a lot of reference points because I just can't keep up with seventy different streaming services and so I barely watch anything. My spouse watches everything so if I wonder why something's under EL I show them the store page and ask them :P

(The main reason the Down Deep set reminds some of us of Bioshock, as I said here or elsewhere, is mostly because of the font choice and Art Deco decoration on the MECHANICAL door ... which is unlike anything else in the set and doesn't fit. But as soon as I looked up images from Silo, I realized that had to be what it was intended to be.)

It was refreshing to instantly recognize the Blade Runner police car ... <steverogers>I understood that reference!</steverogers>. Alas, it's so recognizable that I can't use it in renders; people would think I was TRYING to make a reference to that (unlike the Silo silo, which I did buy, because I figure it's not as recognizable and anyway sinister underground bunkers are much of a muchness).

• Well, I was *really* into the conference room for an upcoming scene in my comic until I saw the license. All of my Daz work is for a commercial project (comics, commissions, etc.) so every time I see one of these it instantly kills the mood.

I'm just...*so* frustrated with this move by Daz. Can we not have *one store* that we can buy assets from without having to worry about them being someone else's IP? Or at the very least, give us a filter like the "Mature Images" filter but for Editorial items so we can just mentally tune them out?

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156

Gordig said:

Oh yeah. Still doesn't answer my actual question, though.

Sorry Gordig. Looks like you got your answer from the source though. That's pretty cool!

• oddboboddbob Posts: 367

nomad-ads_8ecd56922e said:

Pretty sure the Spinner is actually from Bladerunner, unless one or the other production was into borrowing vehicle designs from the other. laugh

Then again, stranger things have happened.

Syd Mead design for Bladerunner but iconic enough to have been featured in the background of several movies and games.

• AntManAntMan Posts: 2,045
    edited June 1

The Spinner is from BladeRunner. It started as a weekend project for fun and then Daz added the Editorial Licences option. My thinking is people might like to be able to have it in their collection to create fan art. 

As for copyright issues you can sell your fan art. Every comic convention I have ever been to has tons of fan art for sale and the Lucas, DC and Marvel booths are just a few isles away. For professional work like a book cover it would be a bad idea. Most likely never getting past the editor or art director, but if self published yeah I guess it could happen. In that case someone is going to say "Hey you know that's a really iconic flying car from BladeRunner designed by Syd Mead". I mean the Product name is Spinner, just like in the film so I'm not hiding anything.

It's good to talk about all this though. If no one wants this type of content it's a good thing for me to know. If it needs to be more clearly marked that's a good point to make. Some items are inspired by movies, many things in fact. With PAs coming right up to the line just short of what I did with the Spinner. This has gone on forever with a standard deal from Daz. But if Lucas wanted every Star Wars item or Star Wars inspired product removed tomorrow they have the money and lawyers to do it regardless of what license is being offered. 

Basically Lucas and large companies are the lions in the food chain and unless a Mouse climbs into their mouth, they are not going to be eaten by the Lion. 

But hey, I just want people to be able to make art and have fun so take me with a grain of salt, and don't use me as your lawyer.

Post edited by AntMan on
  • ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,641
    edited June 1

AntMan said:

As for copyright issues you can sell your fan art. Every comic convention I have ever been to has tons of fan art for sale and the Lucas, DC and Marvel booths are just a few isles away.

A most common misconception. Page 17 has a couple of links regarding this.

This is a very interesting video (from 3 months ago) regarding take-downs & law suits by an ex-employee of the corporations who sued 169 fan artists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1TTCCtt20 . I always assumed fan art, that was not sold, but made out of love and shared for free, was a welcomed form of free advertising, but some folks disagree.

Post edited by ArtAngel on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    Well, I been learning. I learned that there is another PA I'm not buy from.
  • AntManAntMan Posts: 2,045

The key statement in the video comes at the very beginning. He was selling his art/images at T-Public, the t-shirt company. This company collectively can impact an owner company's ability to financially capitalize on a market, t-shirts, merch. This is vastly different than selling your fanart yourself which explains why the number of complaints was so large and all came at once. I was clear to point out that an individual is very different from a large company in the eyes of property owners. 

If you feel or anyone feels the risk is too great or there is a greater principal at work here and selling fanart of a popular property is wrong you need to follow that instinct. I am not here to tell anyone what to do I am simply pointing out what I have learned from 40 plus years of being a freelance artist. Yup, I'm old. So please do what your heart tells you to do. And for those who feel my store is now untrustworthy or lacks originality, I'm sorry you feel that way. Art, even my art creating 3D models, demands pushing boundaries and taking chances and missing the mark is more common than hitting a home run.

I am in the No EL group. I don't blacklist PAs over it.

I will not buy EL products because even if @antman is 110% correct in everything said, I have to break Daz's eula for EL products to do that. If I built the model and used it in a scene and sold pictures at a con, that would be my business and mine alone. If I'm using Daz EL content, that's not the case. So, my only logical alternative is to accept the eula limits of the DAZ EL license or say not to EL products. I choose the latter.

In the end, even though I loathe the EL license, it's doing all of us a service. It says, "This is someone else's IP, not original art licensed for royalty-free commercial use." So, I know not to buy it or use it in any way that could cause me problems down the line.

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,289

Torquinox said:

I wouldn't blacklist a PA for having items with EL. I would consider not buying from them if they have items that people say strongly resemble some franchise without an EL attached, because that makes me uncomfortable. I don't want to play the game of "how close is too close".

• oddbob said:

nomad-ads_8ecd56922e said:

Pretty sure the Spinner is actually from Bladerunner, unless one or the other production was into borrowing vehicle designs from the other. laugh

Then again, stranger things have happened.

Syd Mead design for Bladerunner but iconic enough to have been featured in the background of several movies and games.

A lot of sci-fi movies like to place inside-jokes and homages into the background in their movies and TV episodes.  At one point, for instance, the ship from Firefly showed up among a bunch of flying-vehicle traffic in the background in the Battlestar Galactica mini-series.  Star Trek: The Next Generation inserted some contact-sport game that was lifted directly from an anime into a couple of their episodes, to return the favor after several older anime had put Star Trek in jokes into their stuff.  There were also a number of other anime in-jokes and easter-eggs in ST:TNG.

As for Bladrunner, I think I remember mention somewhere of a Spinner showing up in flying-car traffic in one of the Star Wars prequels.

Anyway, soon as I saw that Spinner replica referenced and linked here, I promptly added it to my get list, even though I'm not likely going to be doing Bladerunner fan art or stories.  I might eventually use it as an in-joke, I might just shrink it down and use it as a child's toy, but it will be fun to at least load it into Daz and play with the prop a bit.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,641
    edited June 2

AntMan said:

The key statement in the video comes at the very beginning. He was selling his art/images at T-Public, the t-shirt company. This company collectively can impact an owner company's ability to financially capitalize on a market, t-shirts, merch. This is vastly different than selling your fanart yourself which explains why the number of complaints was so large and all came at once. I was clear to point out that an individual is very different from a large company in the eyes of property owners. 

If you feel or anyone feels the risk is too great or there is a greater principal at work here and selling fanart of a popular property is wrong you need to follow that instinct. I am not here to tell anyone what to do I am simply pointing out what I have learned from 40 plus years of being a freelance artist. Yup, I'm old. So please do what your heart tells you to do. And for those who feel my store is now untrustworthy or lacks originality, I'm sorry you feel that way. Art, even my art creating 3D models, demands pushing boundaries and taking chances and missing the mark is more common than hitting a home run.

Firstly I appreciate your artistry and have invested in 87 of your products so far. I love your work and do invest in it. Secondly, I appreciate all artists and I have invested in a few editorial products with the full intention of using them commercially, but that said I get I cannot use them on an as-is basis. If I am totally in love with the product, and get the itchy-boos when I toss it out of my cart, I toss it back in and resign to kitbashing it. At times, I have bought and do support the editorial licenses (not too often - once in a blue moon) but I do so with the intent of using them in a way that the are unrecognizable and thus would not be deemed a copyright infringement. It takes a huge degree of transformation, to a pass the transformation usage test. Even @FirstBastion would not sight them. If the end result no longer represents the original item there is no copyright infringement but for fan art unrecognizable won't cut it. It really ruins the vibe for fan art that no longer looks like whatever it used to be, or was supposed to be . . .  a catch 22. I don't endeavour in fan art, so buying a product and twisting it inside out is a safe way to use these products for commercial purposes, which is unrelated to offering the product recognized for what it is within the realm of fan-art offered on a commercial basis.

Post edited by ArtAngel on
  • NathraiNathrai Posts: 67

Torquinox said:

I don't think people are blocking PAs because they have an item in EL. After all, THEY are the good ones, clearly marking their products as derivative. With them one can be moderately sure to get something original (or only midly inspired by other's IPs) when buying their non-EL stuff.

The problem are those PAs that do NOT mark their derivative work with the EL. With them you can never be sure whether the product you're using in a commercial product isn't actually recognisably from a movie/game/series/comic.

edited June 2

@Nathrai : I spoke for me. In context of preceding posts, it's what I meant to say.

Post edited by Torquinox on

DAZ decides what gets EL and what doesn't. There has always been a grey area - items that seem like they should have the EL. And yet, there they are! Sometimes I recognize things, sometimes not. I don't control that. Instead, I have a coherent policy that works for me. That's the best I can do.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305

Torquinox said:

DAZ decides what gets EL and what doesn't. There has always been a grey area - items that seem like they should have the EL. And yet, there they are! Sometimes I recognize things, sometimes not. I don't control that. Instead, I have a coherent policy that works for me. That's the best I can do.

As far as I know rthis is down to the PAs, not Daz.

Richard Haseltine said:

Torquinox said:

IDK. @antman above said Daz put the EL. I know some items get reviewed - Mods have mentioned that. In any case, as said, I have my own policies on that. And you're probably tired of reading about them laugh

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909

Torquinox said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Torquinox said:

IDK. @antman above said Daz put the EL. I know some items get reviewed - Mods have mentioned that. In any case, as said, I have my own policies on that. And you're probably tired of reading about them laugh

Daz is more the backup if the PA forgets to mark it as EL and they can tell that it should be, but it is up to the PA to put it on or not since they are the one who did the pack and should know.

frank0314 said:

Daz is more the backup if the PA forgets to mark it as EL and they can tell that it should be, but it is up to the PA to put it on or not since they are the one who did the pack and should know.

Thanks Frank! I learn something new all the time. 

• hjakehjake Posts: 837
    edited June 3

Torquinox said:

Robert Freise said:

murgatroyd314 said:

I wonder if Daz is aware that the word "droid" is a registered trademark of Lucasfilm.

Wonder how they managed that as it was used in Sci-Fi back in 1952 before Star Wars came out 

Spent the money to register the tm and have the lawyers to defend it. Gross oversimplification. Even so, they did it and a little game once called Battledroids was forced to become a little game called Battletech. Then, Battletech lived a life of its own. Along similar lines, the design of the a-wing starfighter is patented. I suppose that would be true of all the starfighters in the movies? IDK.

I guess for the little guys like Google and that An-droid thing it is bad news. This is the droid you are looking for.laugh

Post edited by hjake on
    edited June 4

hjake said:

I guess for the little guys like Google and that An-droid thing it is bad news. This is the droid you are looking for.laugh

You'll note that Google didn't name their operating system Droid; they named in Android, which is an English word that predated Star Wars (and possibly George Lucas).

edit: as a nerdy tangent, many of Star Wars' droids are actually not androids, as the "andro" prefix denotes man-shaped, c.f. gynoid, a woman-shaped robot.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,521
    edited June 4

Gordig said:

You'll note that Google didn't name their operating system Droid; they named in Android, which is an English word that predated Star Wars (and possibly George Lucas).

edit: as a nerdy tangent, many of Star Wars' droids are actually not androids, as the "andro" prefix denotes man-shaped, c.f. gynoid, a woman-shaped robot.

On a different nerdy tangent, this is a case of a concept known as "rebracketing". Android does indeed mean man-shaped, in the same way as humanoid means human-shaped.

But "droid" breaks apart the root language elements.

Some common examples are:

•  helicopter. The roots here are helico - meaning spiral (as in "helix") - and pter - meaning wing (as in "pterodactyl", one of those winged dinosaurs), but English has rebracketed it to heli-copter, giving us words like helipad and quadcopter.
    • alcoholic. This is of course, alcohol-ic, but we talk about workaholics and shopaholics, who are not addicted to workahol or shopahol.
    • hamburger. This is Hamburg-er, or something or someone from Hamburg, but we've ended up with veggie burgers and cheese burgers and all that. (That said, Hamburg would itself be a concatenation of Ham - possibly meaning "angle" - and burg, with "burg" meaning a fortified settlement. The pronunciation is different, but we see the same element in names like Edinburgh and Middlesborough, etc. So technically a burger is really "something from a fort", but as the  etymology of the food does come through Hamburger specifically, it's still strictly a rebracketing).
    Post edited by Matt_Castle on

Matt_Castle said:

• hamburger. This is Hamburg-er, or something or someone from Hamburg, but we've ended up with veggie burgers and cheese burgers and all that. (That said, Hamburg would itself be a concatenation of Ham - possibly meaning "angle" - and burg, with "burg" meaning a fortified settlement. The pronunciation is different, but we see the same element in names like Edinburgh and Middlesborough, etc. So technically a burger is really "something from a fort", but as the  etymology of the food does come through Hamburger specifically, it's still strictly a rebracketing).

Tangenting off from that, "sushi" is most commonly associated with raw fish, even though the only ingredient sushi must contain is rice; raw sliced fish is sashimi, and not all sushi contains raw fish, or even fish at all. Similarly, there's no such thing as a gyro, in the same way that there's no such thing as a homo sapien; the S at the end is part of the root word, not a pluralization. Furthermore, the word "gyros" specifically refers to the way gyros meat is cooked, so Arby's putting roast beef on a pita and calling it a gyro is wrong on multiple levels.