A Thread for Items with the "Editorial License"

Comments

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

Torquinox said:

I always preferred the WB characters anyway. Nice ending smiley

Turned out that per one of the articles you were linked that I misremembered who the Disney rivals were. It was Universal & Hanna-Barbera. My post edited.

It seems legal actions like these are a longer-running Disney tradition than live-action remakes of their animated films. 

And Disney can be pretty picky. The Rebel and 501st Legions Star Wars cosplay clubs often appear at official Disney events and even sometimes onscreen. However, even RL & 501st members can't be referred to as Star Wars characters in publicity for events (cons, parades, library programs, sports teams, etc.). 

(Here I can tell you I cosplay as either a Jedi or an X-wing pilot :D)

All these suits plus those cosplay guidelines leave me marveling that Daz's Star Wars & Marvel ELs are staying under their radar.

Universal had direct interest in Florida. HB are good guys, too - I think. Still a good outcome.

I think you've mentioned your cosplay activities before. Very cool!

I attribute Disney's apparent lack of interest to the fact that these are digital assets, not physical or necessarily even publicly displayed. I could be wrong, though it seems these EL/fanart items exist on all the online 3D stores. Some don't even bother issuing the EL, which makes it caveat emptor. I will say, Daz has given the fanart assets a surprisingly hefty marketing push, as if they don't really expect any pushback. And except for what happened with the Star Trek items, it seems to have worked out for them. 

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,457
    edited July 8

in case any one is wondering about the EL release today https://www.daz3d.com/ajc-senshi-legacy-outfit-for-genesis-9

AJC Senshi Legacy Outfit For Genesis 9 by: adeilsonjc, 3D Models by Daz 3D

it's inspired by Tiffa from Final Fatasy 7 (and remake)  Remake, Tifa Final, Fantasy, 7, Lockhart, 4k HD Phone Wallpaper | Rare  Gallery

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,389

Out of the cart it goes. Wasn't marked as EL when I put it in my cart last night/early this morning

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

It's another beloved game from the past.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,521
    edited July 8

Robert Freise said:

Out of the cart it goes. Wasn't marked as EL when I put it in my cart last night/early this morning

While I did not screenshot it at the time, I can assure you that when I looked at it one minute after store changeover, it did show as EL in my browser. (I specifically thought "That's got to be EL... and yes, indeed it is". And I'm also sure that's when I looked at it, as I have timestamps on Discord messages I was sending at the time).

There's perhaps a caching problem or the like, but the EL flag is definitely there from the start, not something Daz is sneaking in after it's been out for a few hours.

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
    edited July 8

It was a little after 0100 my time so it would have been just past 0000 Daz time when I looked at it.

I've made it a habit to look at license since Daz started selling EL items

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,025

Lot of Batman stuff in today's update. I'm curious enough to poke my head in because I was always surprised at how difficult it was to kitbash Batman stuff; even vendors who were selling obvious cosplay items seemed to avoid directly portraying the character, and the only versions I could find of the cowl that weren't hidden "horn" morphs up until very recently were model rips from video games. I kind of assumed DC was especially touchy about my man Bruce or something.

plasma_ring said:

Lot of Batman stuff in today's update. I'm curious enough to poke my head in because I was always surprised at how difficult it was to kitbash Batman stuff; even vendors who were selling obvious cosplay items seemed to avoid directly portraying the character, and the only versions I could find of the cowl that weren't hidden "horn" morphs up until very recently were model rips from video games. I kind of assumed DC was especially touchy about my man Bruce or something.

well there is Golden Age versions of the DC characters and that is public domain so legally allowed to use and sell interestingly though a few versions of these have gotten the restricted license here still 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

plasma_ring said:

well there is Golden Age versions of the DC characters and that is public domain so legally allowed to use and sell interestingly though a few versions of these have gotten the restricted license here still 

To my knowledge Warner Brother now owns the copyright to Batman.

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,025

plasma_ring said:

No version of the character is in the public domain until 2035, although he's been name-dropped a lot in articles about other high-profile characters leaving copyright.
  • Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 650

I'm just curious, for those creating products with Editorial Licenses, would it be too much trouble to mention the films/movies/games/etc from which the characters/products are originating? Those of us who don't mind getting them would like to keep to the themes for which they belong--I'd hate to be someone not savy about it and put Freddy Krugar in among the Smurfs.... blush

cool

Although... thinking about it.... that might not be such a bad idea.... devil

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,880

frank0314 said:

To my knowledge Warner Brother now owns the copyright to Batman.

More importantly, they hold the trademark.

The Collapse Bundle and its components: Fallout

Gordig said:

The Collapse Bundle and its components: Fallout

I guessed right while back on here that we were going to get Fallout inspired stuff after the tv series got the games known to a lot of people that didn't know of them 

• ArtsyDragonArtsyDragon Posts: 618

Did I read it right that if we have accidentally purchased something with an editorial license, we can submit a ticket and get our money back?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305

ArtsyDragon said:

Did I read it right that if we have accidentally purchased something with an editorial license, we can submit a ticket and get our money back?

That is true in general, at least within reason.

Richard Haseltine said:

ArtsyDragon said:

That is true in general, at least within reason.

Thank you. I've looked at all the things reported so far and I have a lot more than I thought (13). I'll figure out for which ones I want to request a refund. I don't do art (right now) that is purchased. I mostly do it for me and post in online galleries. I'm okay having the editorial ones for that, right? I would have to avoid them if I were wanting to sell a work I created. Yes?

Editorial Licenses do not prohibit you from making and sharing art, they merely limit commercial use - so yos, you should, by the sound of it, be fine. Do remember that standard refunds can be granted only within thirty days of purchase, though if you missed that window before realising which license applied there is certainly no harm in putting a request in.

Richard Haseltine said:

Editorial Licenses do not prohibit you from making and sharing art, they merely limit commercial use - so yos, you should, by the sound of it, be fine. Do remember that standard refunds can be granted only within thirty days of purchase, though if you missed that window before realising which license applied there is certainly no harm in putting a request in.

Thank you Richard. You're the BEST!

I will admit at least with some of the EL products we wouldn't get caught out accidently using it for artwork we sell because the products are so obviously would be restricted 

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156

It's a festival of 1989 Tim Burton Batman movie. I'm sure it'll be fine. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,030

As I looked at the new bundle, noting the EL on each prop/outfit. But I was surprised that the pose set had an EL on it. As I looked at the poses I recognized many from the PAs have offered in the store for years. They seem to be very useful in many scenes that have nothing to do with Batman. Is the fact they interact with the prop indicate they can't be used with any other activity?

If the PA released those poses with a character in a military/police uniform, would it have been assigned an EL? 

memcneil70 said:

As I looked at the new bundle, noting the EL on each prop/outfit. But I was surprised that the pose set had an EL on it.

I don't see an EL on it, but I do see an optional 3D printing license, and it's hard to decide which one makes less sense.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636

Gordig said:

memcneil70 said:

As I looked at the new bundle, noting the EL on each prop/outfit. But I was surprised that the pose set had an EL on it.

I don't see an EL on it, but I do see an optional 3D printing license, and it's hard to decide which one makes less sense.

Maybe he meant the pose set which has an EL license:  

https://www.daz3d.com/the-cave-poses-for-genesis-9-base-and-dsb-spy-cave

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,030

Yes, that is the correct pose set. I was working on my laptop and the layout of today's page confused me. 

Thank you @Charlie_Judge.

I don't understand EL on poses myself

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909

Robert Freise said:

I don't understand EL on poses myself

We just asked about it.

• DAZ need to make a separate Editorial storefront and remove it from the standard storefront, or else make it VERY clear in search results that something is Editorial Only. My preference is the former.

There are a lot of us who don't want to run into trouble with existing IP in our art. Editorial licenses may not "prohibit" you from making and sharing art, but they certainly make it more difficult, as it means one more thing you need to keep track of when making regular, non-fan art.

I buy DAZ content primarily to facilitate making my own art, which yes, I'd like to eventually commericialize / make profit from. Editorial licensing to me just makes the whole DAZ storefront less appealing if I have to double check every item I'm looking at. It makes it much less likely I'll make more purchases or continue DAZ+ when it expires.

The way I see it, making a separate Editorial storefront would also have the positive effect of making it easier for people to find popular IP if they actually DO want to make fan-art, which means more $$$ for DAZ.

More needs to be done to differentiate editorial item labeling / categorizing from regular content.

They should also make an istall folder for it in DS like they've done for each of the Genesis figures

Robert Freise said:

They should also make an istall folder for it in DS like they've done for each of the Genesis figures

The current beta has added a way to tag by license type, and then that can be used as a filter.