When enough is enough?

Comments

• Wonderland said:

My problem is that whenever I look at a product I like in the store, I imagine in detail what I'd do with it, buy it then forget about it because in my head I already created what I wanted.

Ha, yes!

Or I buy a bunch of $1.99 or super discounted items just in case I'll need them later because they may not get this cheap again. But by now it's really hard to find things to buy that aren't very similar to what I already have and then I buy something super weird like some of Oso's stuff to spark my imagination and do something different and still never get around to doing it because I've already done it in my imagination. 

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,571

If you have stuff and you can do work with it, do that work. Hundreds of figures and thousands of items might be too many or not enough. I think it's both at the same time.

The organization issue is real. The more stuff you have, the worse it is. I've forcibly tamed a lot of mine. There are still pockets of resistance, but they are all falling into place. Problem is, not everyone wants the same organizational structure. Also, items from other stores have to be carefully managed. Generally, it's easier to manage newer items that live in the Daz file structure. Poser file structure is more of a nightmare. My management of those products is only good for Daz. Nothing to do for it!

I don't have to buy anything ever again, but I like a lot of the stuff I've seen. Plus, I've got some items that are made from bits and pieces of many other items. You can't do that if it's not in your library. And yes, I've got stuff I don't know I've got. That's always interesting.

Ironically, budget shortage is not especially a limitation to accumulation. Perhaps enough is never enough.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Drogo Nazhur said:

Unless you are independely wealthy, you can't buy every package that comes out. At what point do you decided that you have enough characters, clothing, footwear, hair styles, etc.

June, 2023, when I finally retired. I've purchases way, way too much 3D stuff over the last 25 years and only used a small fraction of it. My view was that *eventually* I would have time to use more items and that I was building a virtual studio (actors, wardrobe department, scenery department, etc.) with a wide enough range of stuff that I could set up a photoshoot or movie set where I had anything I needed. 

The problem, of course, is that when I see something unusual my first thought is always, "what could I do with that?". In "the old days" if I could come up with a use for it, I'd usually grab it, even if I might not ever use it but just in case...

Now, I see something new and unusual and my first thought is, "what could I do wtih that?" followed very quickly by my second throuhgt, "But am I *really* going to do that?". Full stop.

I'm stil picking up the "DAZ Plus for a Day" types of items, and other DAZ Plus items that fit into the things I'm working on now, but for the most part I've decided to pause on spending until I see what DAZ Studio 5 will allow me to do that I can't do now. Should it open up my possibilities, it'll probably open up my wallet a bit too.

-- Walt Sterdan

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,903

wsterdan said:

I'm stil picking up the "DAZ Plus for a Day" types of items, and other DAZ Plus items that fit into the things I'm working on now, but for the most part I've decided to pause on spending until I see what DAZ Studio 5 will allow me to do that I can't do now. Should it open up my possibilities, it'll probably open up my wallet a bit too.

-- Walt Sterdan

That's really where I am too. Since G9 was released, the amount I've spent in these past like six months is what I normally would have spent in a month before G9. But after being underwhelmed with G9, and I've picked up like five or six characters and I think I'm good, I'm really waiting to see what Daz 5 has in store with fixes to animation, if any, before I decide to go back to spending what I used to or not. 

• What helps for me is narrowing down things by genre. I really only work in historical and fantasy, so I limit myself to those genres. I also ask myself if a product is similar to something I already have or if it's something I have an immediate use for. The stuff I pick up without immediate uses for are things on sale, and then I make use of the DAZ deals plugin and check to see if I can likely get it at a better price if I wait. I end up adding a lot to my cart and removing it. Sometimes I'll also leave stuff in my cart and come back to it, so I can re-evaluate. Often that will help me remove even more.

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,066

It's never enough. :P Just the other day I had to buy a shader pack at full price because I needed right then. So that's why I buy everything that I can possibly ever use when it's a good sale.

• GrafitalebluGrafitaleblu Posts: 87
    edited March 2023

I tend to chase the deals with items on my wishlist, and am more liberal when I have store credits from gift cards, on so called discounts, I gave myself.  In my mind, I am saving on top of savings.  I tend to mellow out when I run out of store credits, at least until the next gift-card sale.  I have also found reviewing items in my inventory helps.  It reminds me I have no time to render everything.  On top of that, I also love freebies...To alleviate my deal finding habit, I sometimes add what I think is the perfect combination of items for maximum discount to the cart, then simply let the cart expire. crying

Post edited by Grafitaleblu on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,439

look at all the purty things. I'll slow down soon, said for 20+ years. I've not rendered anything from G2 bck, so all that stuff is collecting dust now. G3 close. I ask why after every purchase. It does not end.

• butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,099

I'm finding myself cutting down on my spending lately. I've got work that needs to be done on my house, so that's where my money needs to go. 

• Calliope23Calliope23 Posts: 454

I developed a real life shopping addiction, not only of DAZ items but material possessions as well. It took coming to the brink of bankruptcy to scare me straight, and I am engaged in treatment for my addiction. I certainly do not blame DAZ for developing a shopping habit. It was my way of coping with some toxic relationships in my life, but I'm learning to work on the root cause of my issues so that I can spend less money and have a happier life.  All the new shiny is very tempting, but I think I'm going to spend more time actually learning to use the content I have effectively and hold back on the spending until I pay down debt and get my addiction more under control.

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,736
    edited March 2023

xyer0 I found the view you mentioned. The view is spoiled by all the Lost and Found icons. This is the view I use.

Post edited by Ron Knights on
  • mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275

It's easy to stop. How many elf, pirate, and cyberpunk bundles do you need? Same old, same old, but a few surprises here and there.

• I stopped figures at G3 (I have a few G8 monsters that I may or may not use because converting materials is sometimes more pain than it is worth) so now I only am tempted by very cool, useful props and the very rare set.  I have a massive wishlist, but I am waiting for an equally massive sale, which has yet to happen.  I still have a weakness for hairs, because they are so easy to use on any generation, but they have to be really unusual now for me to even glance their way.  I have all the toys I really need (except for wishlisted things, which I may or may not really need depending on what picture I am currently trying to make) so my buy-it-all impulses ebb easily in response to increasing prices and reduced usefulness/ease of use.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821

I keep saying I will stop

but I don't 

I now own 2 G9 characters and a few outfits 

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,800
    edited March 2023

FSMCDesigns said:

LMAO! I am more selective now that I have a specific idea on things I need for my personal projects based on my time and experience with DS and DAZ content. Luckily I also do some commercial work which allows for getting products I wouldn't normally use. I also model many of my own props and other things I need when I can.

This ! Except I am not really good in making my own stuff. Most of the time, I just add morphs or alter the items. 

Genesis 9 is a blessing. It saves me so much money.

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • when you have enough stuff so that if you miss the cart time change by a few minutes and see it went from $30 to $105 .. you just clear cart and ask daz, who lost? Not me, I saved $30 and with 12k items I won't even notice.

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

One question is my ultimate decider "How much use am I really going to get out of this?"

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,479

xyer0 said:

Ron Knights said:

xyer0 I don't see what you're talking about. I can tell you I don't find so many things because things are scattered all about.

In Daz Studio: Click on the Content Library tab. Look at the folder structures Daz3D, Poser, etc. There should be maybe five. Products is at the bottom, I think. Click on Products. A Numero-Alphabetic vertical list will open. Click on a number or letter, wait, and it will open to a list of products. (The wait could be a minute if your drive is slow, full, or if you have a lot of products under that alphabet; numbers are quick).

That is good when you know the one item you are looking for, but when you want to browse clothing or hair for the figure, alphabetical list of everything (and the kitchen sink) installed does not help.

Without the vanity folders, you can just go to the clothing folder and start going down the list with the down arrow on your keyboard and see the available pieces of clothing as you go through the list

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,479

Chibimonchichi said:

When the characters you have created in Daz Studios tell you to stop.yes

But the technology isn't there yet and I would find quite interesting to be able to communicate with my characters wink 

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

Masterstroke said:

Genesis 9 is a blessing. It saves me so much money.

This LOL. Seriously, the assets don't run away from the shop they're there for you when you need them. It is better to just take what you need for the current project, also because time passes and technology grows better, so after some years everything is changed.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    In June of this year, I will have been buying stuff from this store for 20 years. I've watched the progress and improvement of content throughout that time, and I've also seen the things that have pretty much stayed the same. When it comes to buying something new at this point, I asked myself first, "Is it something that I don't already have and I have a use for?" If it's something similar to what I already have, "Is it enough of an improvement for the the investment?" and lastly "Do the details look real enough to me that I will be happy with the final render?" At this stage, a lot of the times products aren't meeting any of that criteria.
  • ChuckMChuckM Posts: 129

Buying has slowed way down. Before retirement I had the money but not the time. After retirement I have the time but not the money. Now I try to enjoy the content I have and watch for sales from my wishlist.

• xyer0 said:

When you have everything you need/want to tell the story you're telling. Also, when you've left 8,000 items uninstalled because they are no longer needed.

That's pretty much where I am. I still have stuff going back to the old Zygote days!  Mind you, I would've bought into G9 on day one, but bringing back the "one mesh fits all" approach doesn't work for me aesthetically. 

• ColinFrenchColinFrench Posts: 638

FSMCDesigns said:

I am more selective now that I have a specific idea on things I need for my personal projects based on my time and experience with DS and DAZ content.

This ^^ 

Experience really helps. I've now got a better idea of the sorts of products I'll actually use... eventually. I joined the Daz world near the beginning of G3 and G2 was still going strong, and bought all sorts of stuff while imagining the renderings I could produce, but often never got around to it. When G8 was released, that experience helped me focus my purchasing. That experience also helped in that I knew to switch to a new generation I would want certain types of products (various morph packs and shaders usually) and so I wasn't as likely to migrate over until those became available.

• ColinFrenchColinFrench Posts: 638

PerttiA said:

Chibimonchichi said:

But the technology isn't there yet and I would find quite interesting to be able to communicate with my characters wink 

Maybe they'll release DazGPT so we can chat with our characters! laugh

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821

ColinFrench said:

PerttiA said:

Chibimonchichi said:

Maybe they'll release DazGPT so we can chat with our characters! laugh

probably where that chatbot product is heading  

https://www.daz3d.com/d-talks--realtime-talking-chatbot-for-daz-characters

• Calliope23Calliope23 Posts: 454

If my DAZ characters start talking to me I've probably had too little sleep and have done a face plant on my desk and am dreaming! laugh

• ExpozuresExpozures Posts: 216

There's certain things I key into.  Medieval/fantasy/viking stuff?  I can never have enough of that.  Contemporary?  Well, only if it's interesting.  Sci-fi?  Only if it's very interesting.  Try to limit myself to specific vendors as well, some of my favourites in particular.  Though, I won't grab ALL of their stuff, maybe only about 90% of it.

• I've just slowed down andhave become more selective about my purchases. I've pretty much have left characters behind. I've been focusing more on interior rooms, vehicles and props. I had to chuckle at the comment that when G9 came out it pretty much killed their buying. I must admit I fall into this category myself.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,329
    edited March 2023

Enough, yah a content library exceeding a terrabyte, there's lots there to work with.

Post edited by FirstBastion on