RELEASED: Next Generation Strand Hair. dforce Feisty Feather Bun *Commercial*

chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,196

Strand Based Hair for Genesis 9 has gotten a make over!  More details, thick full hair, and a whole lot less weight! This feather bun weighs in at a total of 1.5 million verts!    A custom shader to utilize the Daz native curves makes it all possible :)

Genesis 8 hairs were averaging around 13 million vertices,so this is a significant drop in weight.

Wish it was a little neater? Theres a morph for that. Wish it were more messy? Theres a morph for that too.  17 Shaping Morphs, and 35 Hair Colors.  The sticks are a nice bonus too :)

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-feisty-feather-bun-hair-for-genesis-9

EXTRAS

Opacity does not work with hair curves. I know, this is going to be hard to get used to. But there is still a way to shut areas off at least. 

Select the Scalp in the scene tab. Expand it to see the hair.  

Select the surfaces tab:  Select the surface you want to hide in your render. 

At the very top of the surfaces option, you will see Line Start Width

Change the width to 0

The surface is no longer seen in the render :)

10-Popup-Fiesty Feather Bun-Daz3d.jpg
4400 x 1344 - 3M
05-Popup-Fiesty Feather Bun-Daz3d.jpg
2500 x 1700 - 2M
06-Popup-Fiesty Feather Bun-Daz3d.jpg
2500 x 1700 - 1M
07-Popup-Fiesty Feather Bun-Daz3d.jpg
2500 x 1700 - 1M
09-Popup-Fiesty Feather Bun-Daz3d.jpg
2500 x 1700 - 2M
Post edited by chevybabe25 on

Comments

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 703

It has a realistic look to it.

• chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,196

Thanks :)  The new improvements are really amazing.  I can get some great detailed hair out of it now!

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601
    edited April 2023

looks fantasic, but how is it on resources? I rarely purchase strand based dforce hair or fiber hair any more because they are just so heavy and lag in veiwport and rendering

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,032
    Looks fantastic, Chevy! I can't wait!
    edited April 2023

Thanks guys! 

This is pretty light, as it utilizes curves instead of geometry.   Another nice plus is that it can be seen in the viewport without any extra nonsense. No turning stuff on or off.

Old strand hair was averaging 13 million vertices, some as high as 28 million.

Lindays Classic Wet Hair, comes in at 8.3 million verts. ( Each geoshell is 2 million verts)

This feisty feather bun (granted its short) comes in at just 1.5 million. Huge weight difference. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,766
    edited April 2023

Would you be able to do a half-braid hair like is requested here?

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/630891/half-braid-half-tail-hairstyle#latest

And I like the new hairstyle. 

Post edited by memcneil70 on

Thanks Mary :) 

I could!  I could definitely make a rigged version with some dynamic parts. But with complete dynamics, Im not so sure.  I have a few complicated ideas on how I could attempt to implement it, but no idea *if* it would actually work.   I wonder how many people would be interested in strand hair like this without the dynamics/simulation options? Hmm. Things to ponder.

chevybabe25 said:

Thanks guys! 

This is pretty light, as it utilizes curves instead of geometry.   Another nice plus is that it can be seen in the viewport without any extra nonsense. No turning stuff on or off.

Old strand hair was averaging 13 million vertices, some as high as 28 million.

Lindays Classic Wet Hair, comes in at 8.3 million verts. ( Each geoshell is 2 million verts)

This feisty feather bun (granted its short) comes in at just 1.5 million. Huge weight difference. 

Now I am excited! Thanks for the info and looking forward to the release!

There are so many exciting things that come with this improvement! 

Obviously the biggest deal is how lightweight it is, but also:

You can see the hair and render it directly in the viewport. No On and Off nonsense.

You can add extra hairs to surfaces without it adding tons of weight. 

The hair is so dense now, a skullcap isn't needed to help make it look thicker. The cap is there for simulation purposes, but is invisble. This also helps to make natural looking hairlines. Which are going to get even better in the future.

Curves are smooth. High points are no longer needed to get a nice look, so weight is also dramatically cut down.  

Because it's so lightweight now, I can actually add details.  Frizz, fly aways, baby hairs, and even transitional hairs!  Things are about to get really interesting :)

I do have one question, any chance this technique can be used with dforce as that is a big requirement for my projects, being able to have it drape realistically in extreme poses.

This hair is 100% dforce. Long Braids ( that Mary asked about) are a whole other animal.  Right now, the only option is to rig them. Ive been playing it over and over in my head, trying to think of a way to make that work.

yesyesyesyesheart

• AmaranthAmaranth Posts: 406

That's lovely ! 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,766

Anything you come up with I will buy. I love your hair products.

Mary

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,165

Looks good. However I wonder will it need the latest version of DS to use it?
    (I can't update beyond 4.12.0.5 on my current PC)

"Anything you come up with I will buy. I love your hair products."

Mary

Thanks Mary :) I truly appreciate the support! Its keepin the dream alive!

"Looks good. However I wonder will it need the latest version of DS to use it?
    (I can't update beyond 4.12.0.5 on my current PC)"

Yes. You will need the latest version studio in order to utilize the curves. 

Thats a bummer about teh computer. Is it just too old to update?

• EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 445

I'm curious, is the lightness from the actual model solely or does the shader have an effect? I'm asking mainly because I like to experiment with different shaders.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,165
    edited April 2023

Yes, 2012! It was a good machine at the time, but not very upgradeable - it would need a whole rebuild and I might as well get a brand new model (which I will have to before long, I guess).

Thanks for confirming what I feared/expected.

ETA: Can I just echo the sentiment that I love your hair products and have many of them - also your eye improvement products.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • The results look astonishing. Seeing as it is a shader innovation, is there any hope for a way to upgrade earlier hairs? I'm not making the jump to G9 yet (if ever), but I'd still like very much to improve my G8 library.

edited April 2023

"I'm curious, is the lightness from the actual model solely or does the shader have an effect? I'm asking mainly because I like to experiment with different shaders."

The reduction of weight comes from Daz introducing the hair curves. They have been implemented since last June. However, the curves require a different shader setup because they are curves and not geometry.  So it's not the shader, but the shader allows us to get the curves to look the way they should. 

"Yes, 2012! It was a good machine at the time, but not very upgradeable - it would need a whole rebuild and I might as well get a brand new model (which I will have to before long, I guess).

Thanks for confirming what I feared/expected.

ETA: Can I just echo the sentiment that I love your hair products and have many of them - also your eye improvement products."

Thank you for all your support too over the years Melanie :)   I truly appreciate it!

"The results look astonishing. Seeing as it is a shader innovation, is there any hope for a way to upgrade earlier hairs? I'm not making the jump to G9 yet (if ever), but I'd still like very much to improve my G8 library."

I will not be personally upgrading my older hairs to use the curves and new shader.  This will just be something I utilize in hairs going forward from the feather bun.

If you would like to reduce the weight of your existing old strand hairs, you can set the render and viewport line tesselation to 0 ( This is where/how the curves are implemented) .  But be prepared, the hair will end up looking dark and dense, and the root/tip color will no longer work properly.  It doesn't look all that great, but will get you by. The older hairs were not designed with any of this in mind. They were designed to be as light as possible (*eyeroll, there, as it was impossible to get them light and still look decent), so I don't have super high hopes for them to look all that great.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,235

chevybabe25 said:

A custom shader to utilize the Daz native curves makes it all possible :)

As good as your hair looks, this is the most interesting part for me. Can this shader be applied to earlier dForce hairs?

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,250

chevybabe25 said:

If you would like to reduce the weight of your existing old strand hairs, you can set the render and viewport line tesselation to 0 ( This is where/how the curves are implemented) .  But be prepared, the hair will end up looking dark and dense, and the root/tip color will no longer work properly.  It doesn't look all that great, but will get you by. The older hairs were not designed with any of this in mind. They were designed to be as light as possible (*eyeroll, there, as it was impossible to get them light and still look decent), so I don't have super high hopes for them to look all that great.

Increasing the Glossy Layer Weight will change the hair from being too dark/grey.  You had explained it in this thread earlier.

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

This is really beautiful, and I'm very happy to hear about the improvements. I've had to avoid using strand-based hair because of the weight, which sucks because there are a lot of great styles!

"As good as your hair looks, this is the most interesting part for me. Can this shader be applied to earlier dForce hairs?"

Yes. You would have to do things a particular way to make it usable, but yes, it is possible.  

"Increasing the Glossy Layer Weight will change the hair from being too dark/grey.  You had explained it in this thread earlier."

Yes. Thats a usable fix to the old strand hairs.  I still stand by what I said. The hair will still not look right, but it will get you by.

Honestly,  I don't think I've done anything all that magical here, and have even shared some of the shader stuff with other artists and other dhair artists.  Im sure you will start to see some creations rolling out by them soon as well using this. As I hinted to in another thread, dhair is about to have a big change. Because the PAS can now focus on creating the hair, instead of tap dancing around how we can shave off millions of vertices to make these hairs remotely usable and still look good. For me, this has made the creation process so much more enjoyable.  

"This is really beautiful, and I'm very happy to hear about the improvements. I've had to avoid using strand-based hair because of the weight, which sucks because there are a lot of great styles!"

Thanks! Im hoping this changes things for a whole bunch of people :)

chevybabe25 said:

"As good as your hair looks, this is the most interesting part for me. Can this shader be applied to earlier dForce hairs?"

Yes. You would have to do things a particular way to make it usable, but yes, it is possible.  

I'm not sure why I'm asking, since it's been over a year since I rendered anything in DS, but I'm sure that will be good news for others.

Sadness. Mabe this is what you need to get your muse back? 

I still render like crazy, I just don't use DS to do it. At this point, DS is basically just a platform for exporting Daz products to C4D and Houdini for me.

• I'm looking forward to this!

What's next, Beehive aka Marge Simpson laugh

"I still render like crazy, I just don't use DS to do it. At this point, DS is basically just a platform for exporting Daz products to C4D and Houdini for me."

Houdini. Thats different. So what are you using it for? Just special effects?

"I'm looking forward to this!

What's next, Beehive aka Marge Simpson laugh"

Thanks Doctor :)   Beehive Morph, mental note made  LOL