RELEASED: Next Generation Strand Hair. dforce Feisty Feather Bun *Commercial*

Comments

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,806

chevybabe25 said:

"I'm curious, is the lightness from the actual model solely or does the shader have an effect? I'm asking mainly because I like to experiment with different shaders."

The reduction of weight comes from Daz introducing the hair curves. They have been implemented since last June. However, the curves require a different shader setup because they are curves and not geometry.  So it's not the shader, but the shader allows us to get the curves to look the way they should. 

"Yes, 2012! It was a good machine at the time, but not very upgradeable - it would need a whole rebuild and I might as well get a brand new model (which I will have to before long, I guess).

Thanks for confirming what I feared/expected.

ETA: Can I just echo the sentiment that I love your hair products and have many of them - also your eye improvement products."

Thank you for all your support too over the years Melanie :)   I truly appreciate it!

"The results look astonishing. Seeing as it is a shader innovation, is there any hope for a way to upgrade earlier hairs? I'm not making the jump to G9 yet (if ever), but I'd still like very much to improve my G8 library."

I will not be personally upgrading my older hairs to use the curves and new shader.  This will just be something I utilize in hairs going forward from the feather bun.

If you would like to reduce the weight of your existing old strand hairs, you can set the render and viewport line tesselation to 0 ( This is where/how the curves are implemented) .  But be prepared, the hair will end up looking dark and dense, and the root/tip color will no longer work properly.  It doesn't look all that great, but will get you by. The older hairs were not designed with any of this in mind. They were designed to be as light as possible (*eyeroll, there, as it was impossible to get them light and still look decent), so I don't have super high hopes for them to look all that great.

Okay, my brain cramped up really fast on this. But is it possible for a script artist and a shader artist to join up, say @RiverSoft Art and maybe you or @Slosh create a product to allow users to update their favorite older hairs depending on the type of hair? Or do it on the fly as they use a product? That would keep older hair products still viable.

And is it possible for OOT's hair to be updated? I am not sure what their hairs are, but are not dForce now. Would love to see them easily simulated and lighter on my resources.

I am speaking as someone with a MacBookPro M1 (so everything is CPU), and a Win10 with a 1080, and another Win10 desktop with a 1080Ti.

Mary

• chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,200

The curves are only for dforce strand based hair. OOTS are all old school geometry, so that would never work. 

The script is a super nice idea, and generally speaking would probably work.  Ill ask around and see if anyone can fit this into their schedule.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,513
    edited April 2023

are you going to continue with G8, 8.1 hairs? Not everyone jumping on G9/ 

What version of DS is required to use this spectacular hair?

Post edited by daveso on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,615

daveso said:

are you going to continue with G8, 8.1 hairs? Not everyone jumping on G9/ 

What version of DS is required to use this spectacular hair?

Seeing as her last 5 products were G9 only, it seems doubtful that she will be doing products for G8.You could always parent any G9 hair products to older figures.

She stated on the first page you will need the latest version of DS for this to work

"are you going to continue with G8, 8.1 hairs? Not everyone jumping on G9/ "

I have officially moved on to G9. I am loving the idea of making one hair that fits both the boys and the girls without feeling like Im neglecting the males, feeling tied to female hairs because they sell better, or having to do more work just to get one thing to fit both sexes. Its easier, more creative for me, and its cheaper/better for you in the long run. IMO its a win win.

"What version of DS is required to use this spectacular hair?"

You will need the most recent version of Daz Studio to get this hair to work properly.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,513

chevybabe25 said:

I have officially moved on to G9. I am loving the idea of making one hair that fits both the boys and the girls without feeling like Im neglecting the males, feeling tied to female hairs because they sell better, or having to do more work just to get one thing to fit both sexes. Its easier, more creative for me, and its cheaper/better for you in the long run. IMO its a win win.

"What version of DS is required to use this spectacular hair?"

You will need the most recent version of Daz Studio to get this hair to work properly.

so a current version, not a future version.  I understand your decision to go G9 only. I have a g9 hair but have not tried on G8. From what I read its somewha backward compatible, but otherwise I guess I will miss these great looking products.  

Yes, a current version of Daz Studio.  As Michael stated, you can still parent the hairs in to place to get them to work with G8, but they will not autofit.  

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,317
    edited April 2023

chevybabe25 said:

Houdini. Thats different. So what are you using it for? Just special effects?

Right now, I'm just learning as much about Houdini as I can to see if it can become my main program. I rendered this in Houdini:

It uses Daz assets, but the dynamic clothing and hair (which is one of yours) and the fire simulation are all Houdini.

A propos of nothing, this video was built and rendered in C4D and uses a modified version of Fierce Tales, another of yours.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,448
    edited April 2023

Looking VERY nice, and I'm intrigued by the idea that it will give my laptop less reason to wheeze and whine, hopefully ;-). But I tend to fall in love with your hairs anyways heart. Part of it must be the gorgeous promos you do, I'm saving most of them for my catalogue and sift through them on the iPad when I'm having a bad night. They're just sooo lovely to look at. Ah anyway, end of gushing blush

Are the hair pins from the promo shot with the violet hair included, by any chance?

Post edited by tsroemi on
  • backgroundbackground Posts: 364

Can't wait to try rendering this. It will certainly save my characters having to baldly go. laugh

"Right now, I'm just learning as much about Houdini as I can to see if it can become my main program. I rendered this in Houdini:"

Wow!! Those look great! I have known of Houdini for years but never knew anyone that used it. That looks like a cool program.  How difficult is it to get my hairs into that program and be usable?

"Looking VERY nice, and I'm intrigued by the idea that it will give my laptop less reason to wheeze and whine, hopefully ;-). But I tend to fall in love with your hairs anyways heart. Part of it must be the gorgeous promos you do, I'm saving most of them for my catalogue and sift through them on the iPad when I'm having a bad night. They're just sooo lovely to look at. Ah anyway, end of gushing blush

Are the hair pins from the promo shot with the violet hair included, by any chance?"

*blushes*  Thank you for all your kind words  :)   Thank you for all your support, and everyone else that shops in my store!! Seriously appreciate it.  You are all keepin this little dream alive.  The sticks do come with this set.  Im going to post an image with the stick options. You may need to  leave the thread and come back in to see it. Email links seem to hide the main images.

"Can't wait to try rendering this. It will certainly save my characters having to baldly go. laugh 

Where no man has gone before :)  I can not wait to see read about how all these machines handle the hairs. So exciting!

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,832

Possibly odd question: are there different surface areas so that you can, for example, give a character gray or white streaks?

edited April 2023

"Possibly odd question: are there different surface areas so that you can, for example, give a character gray or white streaks?"

Surfaces Include:

Bangs, Bun, Feathery,Hairline, Left, Noise, Right

You could probably get away with changing the texture map to alternating colors in order to achieve the streaks in whatever are you would like. 

Post edited by chevybabe25 on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,448

Oh great, seeing the new pic with the stick / pin now, it's beautiful! I do appreciate these extra touches so much. Am looking forward to seeing the hair in the store soon!

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,615

Nice detail on the accessory! Looks great. If you need a beta tester (rasies hand!!) LOL Looking forward to the release!

Oh great, seeing the new pic with the stick / pin now, it's beautiful! I do appreciate these extra touches so much. Am looking forward to seeing the hair in the store soon!"

"Nice detail on the accessory! Looks great. If you need a beta tester (rasies hand!!) LOL Looking forward to the release!"

Thanks!  Ive been enjoying making these pretty little extras.  Fun way to get my use out of substance painter. :)

chevybabe25 said:

"Right now, I'm just learning as much about Houdini as I can to see if it can become my main program. I rendered this in Houdini:"

Wow!! Those look great! I have known of Houdini for years but never knew anyone that used it. That looks like a cool program.  How difficult is it to get my hairs into that program and be usable?

I'd have a hard time saying that anything in Houdini is "easy", but it's doable. I'm still pretty new to Houdini, so it's possible if not likely that there's an easier and/or better way to do it than what I've cobbled together. I'm planning to make a series of tutorials about how to use Daz assets in Houdini. It's trivially easy to use them in C4D, which has pretty robust hair tools of its own.

edited April 2023

Curious. Would including something like a hair OBJ be helpful?

Post edited by chevybabe25 on

I would still export it out of DS myself so that I don't have to fit it to my characters in the target program. However, an OBJ of the hair as curves (meaning all line tesselation set to 0) attached to the skullcap would probably be useful for others, though.

Hmm things to ponder.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,772

I just read about this in another thread thanks to Michael FSMC. Looks exciting. The ends still look a little bristle-like, but this is a major improvement. Now I know why you haven't given us a brow package. I am less than impressed with the Daz Originals packages.

Thanks! I am so excited about the improvements. The curves are so smooth and it renders so quick in comparison to the old hairs! 

Yes. I have been a very busy girl. But I am getting there. Morphable brows are on the very near future list, I swear :)

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,772

:thankyou2::bounce::applause::snoopydance::happyflip::flowers:

chevybabe25 said:

Morphable brows are on the very near future list, I swear :)

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/602146/dforce-eyebrows

• EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 448

chevybabe25 said:

The reduction of weight comes from Daz introducing the hair curves. They have been implemented since last June. However, the curves require a different shader setup because they are curves and not geometry.  So it's not the shader, but the shader allows us to get the curves to look the way they should. 

Are curves something a non-PA like me can use, or is it solely on the PA side?

• UncannyValetUncannyValet Posts: 146

Eboshijaana said:

chevybabe25 said:

Setting Render Tesselation Sides to 1 for hairs made in SBH Editor is equivalent to converting them to iray curves / fibers, thus you will have access to this as everyone can do this.  You can also convert dforce SBH made by Daz store PAs by setting Render Tesselation Sides to 0.

Why it's a value of 1 for SBH Editor hairs and 0 for dforce SBH is something I've yet to see explained.  Perhaps there is a distinction in how they are rendered?

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,318

UncannyValet said:

Eboshijaana said:

chevybabe25 said:

Setting Render Tesselation Sides to 1 for hairs made in SBH Editor is equivalent to converting them to iray curves / fibers, thus you will have access to this as everyone can do this.  You can also convert dforce SBH made by Daz store PAs by setting Render Tesselation Sides to 0.

Why it's a value of 1 for SBH Editor hairs and 0 for dforce SBH is something I've yet to see explained.  Perhaps there is a distinction in how they are rendered?

I have been setting all dForce hairs to Render Tesselation of 1, and that seems to work fine. I am sure what I see is curves, as normally a setting of 1 can look pretty awful on many hairs.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,831

chevybabe25 said:

cryingcryingcrying
    That's too bad. 

"I have been setting all dForce hairs to Render Tesselation of 1, and that seems to work fine. I am sure what I see is curves, as normally a setting of 1 can look pretty awful on many hairs."

You can absolutely tell just by looking at it. Chances are, curves are enabled.

"cryingcryingcrying
    That's too bad.
     "

Sorry :(  

• PhloxPhlox Posts: 95

Lovely hair - and also excellent work on the ornate hair sticks, they're really detailed. I predict we'll be seeing a lot of this hair in the galleries. heart