Released* Line Zero dForce Strand Hair Shaders

Comments

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,389

Just bought it, too, what a nice suprise to find it in store today. Am looking forward to experimenting. Thanks again for the great job,  Chevybabe!

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,600

It was a nice surprise to finally see it in the store and I purchased as soon as I saw it. I have literally spent the last 3 hours trying out numerous SBH options to see the differences this product makes.

I guess I was expecting more since I didn't see that much of a visual difference, but I do love the colors and the one click options to make any hair show in the preview mode as well as the shine and gain options are a big plus. I didn't look at actual numbers, but did notice a small increase in performance using these new shaders. If anything, this product made me take a deeper look into the SBH options I have as viable options for projects now. I found a few gems I had just dismissed before.

Thanks again and I look forward to new G9 hair products from you in the near future

• chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,196

Thank you guys for all your support :)

I don't think you will see a tremendous save on render time, but for the first time ever, you will be able to render hairs you thought you couldnt before.  Also, hairs should look much smoother now, even up close!!   Huge Bonus :)  I still have to write a pdf about reducing hairs etc , Ive been tremendously busy, but it's still on the top of my to do list.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,162

Do these shaders work on the current General Release v4.21.0.5 or do they need a newer beta?

edited June 2023

These work on 4.21.0.5 General Release.

Post edited by chevybabe25 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203

Neroli Hair in "Fun Colors".

edited June 2023

Voila Hair in various red, brown, blonde shaders.

Kanada 8 Voila Hair Browns_Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 3M
    Post edited by barbult on

OOO Very nice Barbult!!!

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,600

One thing that would be helpful is knowing what hairs in the store are SBH. I was just looking at maybe purchasing a few new ones, and it's kind of hard to see which ones are dforce SBH. Maybe a list is in order.

I used the new shaders on this image I just posted to the gallery, so  thouight I would share

edited June 2023

chevybabe25 said:

These work on 4.21.0.5 General Release.

Brilliant, thank you! 

I thought this might rely on the techonology discussed in this thread:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/631121/released-next-generation-strand-hair-dforce-feisty-feather-bun-commercial/p1

where you told me the would only work on later versions of DS. Or did I misunderstand you there?

Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited June 2023

"One thing that would be helpful is knowing what hairs in the store are SBH. I was just looking at maybe purchasing a few new ones, and it's kind of hard to see which ones are dforce SBH. Maybe a list is in order.

I used the new shaders on this image I just posted to the gallery, so  thouight I would share"

I agree! I don't understand why Daz made the decision to just label everything dForce.  While it is dForce tech, it adds so much confusion to which hairs are geo with cloth and wich are strand based. I'll bring this up again with the powers that be.  Also.. that render looks fantastic!!!!! The hair looks so smooth!

"I thought this might rely on the techonology discussed in this thread:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/631121/released-next-generation-strand-hair-dforce-feisty-feather-bun-commercial/p1

where you told me the would only work on later versions of DS. Or did I misunderstand you there?"

I had to go back and read it .. you said  "I can't update beyond 4.12.0.5 on my current PC"   we are on 4.21.05.  I think you may have mistyped that lol? Bt yes it relies on the same tech as the feisty hair.

FSMCDesigns said:

One thing that would be helpful is knowing what hairs in the store are SBH. I was just looking at maybe purchasing a few new ones, and it's kind of hard to see which ones are dforce SBH. Maybe a list is in order.

I used the new shaders on this image I just posted to the gallery, so  thouight I would share

That's a great image!

chevybabe25 said:

"I thought this might rely on the techonology discussed in this thread:

where you told me the would only work on later versions of DS. Or did I misunderstand you there?"

I had to go back and read it .. you said  "I can't update beyond 4.12.0.5 on my current PC"   we are on 4.21.05.  I think you may have mistyped that lol? Bt yes it relies on the same tech as the feisty hair.

Sorry, you are more observant than I am! I did indeed mistype - I have DS4.21.0.5 installed but can't go to DS4.21.1.xxx on my Win7 PC.

So I can use these shaders and also could use that rather lovely-looking Feisty Feather Bun Hair (pity I didn't pick that one up when it was released, but I'm sure it will get into a sale one day).

No problem :)  I wish I had picked up on the typo sooner for you.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,892
    edited June 2023

Experimented with Oso Bearman!

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • Are these supposed to work on any sbh, or only dforce sbh?

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

FSMCDesigns said:

It was a nice surprise to finally see it in the store and I purchased as soon as I saw it. I have literally spent the last 3 hours trying out numerous SBH options to see the differences this product makes.

I guess I was expecting more since I didn't see that much of a visual difference, but I do love the colors and the one click options to make any hair show in the preview mode as well as the shine and gain options are a big plus. I didn't look at actual numbers, but did notice a small increase in performance using these new shaders. If anything, this product made me take a deeper look into the SBH options I have as viable options for projects now. I found a few gems I had just dismissed before.

Thanks again and I look forward to new G9 hair products from you in the near future

I increased the PR hairs density and DO see a difference, though I know not everybody can do that ;)

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited June 2023

Excellent work Chevybabe25....who is this character?

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
    edited June 2023

Experimented with Oso Bearman!

Very nice Will!!!

"Are these supposed to work on any sbh, or only dforce sbh?"

You can use these on any strand based hair. However, if you are using them on hair made in the editor, you will need to use the lower hierarchy shaders  "Shader Bases" because the editor uses a tesselation of 1.

Excellent work Chevybabe25....who is this character?

Thanks!  Babina 8

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643

Thank you!

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,759

I found an advert for "New dForce and Strand Based Hair" dated 13 June 2019 from Daz3D. So hairs prior to that would not be strand based?

And I have been looking at some of my hairs in the surfaces settings and even if the product description does not refer to 'strand based' it might be if at the top of the surfaces tab you see references to Line Preview Widths, Root Transmissions, Hair Root Color, Hair Tip Color. I made some snips from various hairs, non-strand based, but dForce, non-dForce OOT, and strand based dForce but I can't upload. (Forums are a pain.)

But if I am wrong in my assumptions, @chevybabe25 please correct me. 

edited June 2023

Select the hair in the scene, select the parameters tab and check for line tesselation. If it has that, it is strand based.  

As for what is in the store, it is much more difficult to identify.  Vendors that I know (other than myself)  make or have made strand hair:

Toyen

Oso3D

Redz

Propschic and Aidano

PhilW

HM

On occasion I have seen strand hairs from different vendors including: Several by Aprilysh, 1 from Linday,  a couple from Mihrelle,1 from CakeOne, Lady LittleFox,Vyusur, Will Dupre, MAB and 3Diva.

If I have missed any, I can add them to this list.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,389

chevybabe25 said:

Select the hair in the scene, select the parameters tab and check for line tesselation. If it has that, it is strand based.  

As for what is in the store, it is much more difficult to identify.  Vendors that I know (other than myself)  make or have made strand hair:

Toyen

Oso3D

Redz

Propschic

PhilW

On occasion I have seen strand hairs from different vendors including: 1 from Linday, and a couple from Mihrelle. If I have missed any, I can add them to this list.

Both parts very helpful, thanks! 

Thank you very much!

You are very welcome :)

I just found that Divamakeup's dForce Afro Styles Hair for G8F is strand based too.

OO she did a couple! Totally forgot about her. Ill add it to the list :)

edited June 2023

Okay, I wasn't expecting this, but I tried a Neftis3D hair for fun, Amyr Tight Curls Hair and Beard for Genesis 8 and 9 and while Parameters didn't show anything about line tessalations, the surfaces tab did have hair root and hair tip color options so I tried your shader on it. And it worked nicely. That expands the color choices for the Neftis3D hairs too, if they are the more recent ones maybe?

Edit to add: Found Laticis Imagery has a stranded beard. And there is a PA who has worked with Propschick, Aidano, who has some strand hair.

Post edited by memcneil70 on

I believe Neftis does fibermesh- the shaders will work on the hair itself, but it wont reduce any weight.

edited June 2023

Ah, okay. Still, the colors are nice.

I found Vyusur has dForce Casual Hair and Beard for G8M, and the hair fitted nicely on G8.1F and is strand based. While Vyusur is not in the store right now, their products may be in a lot of runtimes. Checked Zeus, dForce hair with 'Line Tessellations' in Parameters.

Edit to add: Doesn't seem to change the fur though. Sigh.

Post edited by memcneil70 on