[Released] ManFriday’s Figure Converter for Genesis 9 [Commercial]

Comments

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,727

carrie58 said:

tsroemi said:

Artini said:

Hi, tsroemi

Please check at the beginning of:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/642546/released-manfriday-s-figure-converter-for-genesis-9-commercial/p5

Thank you, I hadn't seen that post! Phew, looks complicated. I really wish there was a way to automate that as well. Anyways, thanks loads! 

I think there is ,but you need Shape Riggerfor G9 by Zev0  ,don't have it yet myself ,but from what I've read it helps with the eye issues.......

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/647276/shape-rigger-plus-g9-edition-commercial#latest

I've seen it, thanks! I'm not sure from the description that it does the scaling though. Will try to find out. But it's rather pricey still since it's new, and I don't plan on making many conversions. Has anyone used it for eye scaling after conversion? 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,121

tsroemi said:

carrie58 said:

tsroemi said:

Artini said:

Hi, tsroemi

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/642546/released-manfriday-s-figure-converter-for-genesis-9-commercial/p5

Thank you, I hadn't seen that post! Phew, looks complicated. I really wish there was a way to automate that as well. Anyways, thanks loads! 

I think there is ,but you need Shape Riggerfor G9 by Zev0  ,don't have it yet myself ,but from what I've read it helps with the eye issues.......

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/647276/shape-rigger-plus-g9-edition-commercial#latest

I've seen it, thanks! I'm not sure from the description that it does the scaling though. Will try to find out. But it's rather pricey still since it's new, and I don't plan on making many conversions. Has anyone used it for eye scaling after conversion? 

It rigs the eyes, it does not scale them.

barbult said:

tsroemi said:

carrie58 said:

tsroemi said:

Artini said:

Hi, tsroemi

It rigs the eyes, it does not scale them.

Thank you! 

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,961

Here's something disturbing, my menu has two items missing, the path for new morphs, and adjust rigging to shape, I just now finished testing after a clean install, and by that I mean deleting the install file, and re-downloading, and reinstalling it!

To no avail, I'm still stuck with a different menu than the one in the PDF/product page...

WHERE'S THE AUTO-RIG OPTION 1.png
    514 x 480 - 41K
    WHERE'S THE AUTO-RIG OPTION 3.png
    1526 x 966 - 270K
    WHERE'S THE AUTO-RIG OPTION 2.png
    1536 x 809 - 392K

takezo_3001 said:

Here's something disturbing, my menu has two items missing, the path for new morphs, and adjust rigging to shape, I just now finished testing after a clean install, and by that I mean deleting the install file, and re-downloading, and reinstalling it!

To no avail, I'm still stuck with a different menu than the one in the PDF/product page...

Adjust Rigging was intentionally removed from the interface by ManFriday, because it didn't work correctly, he said. This is discussed earlier in this thread. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8278951/#Comment_8278951

You change the path for the morphs by clicking the eyedropper by the path name shown in the interface. This does not match the PDF. You are correct, but the functionality is there.

barbult said:

Adjust Rigging was intentionally removed from the interface by ManFriday because it didn't work correctly, he said. This is discussed earlier in this thread. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8278951/#Comment_8278951

You change the path for the morphs by clicking the eyedropper by the path name shown in the interface. This does not match the PDF. You are correct, but the functionality is there.

Thanks for the info, I was hoping you'd chime in!

Yeah, I did not feel like hunting through the thread, but I am pleased that it was by design that the menu options were gone and not due to an error! It still works well, though G3 characters are a bit of a challenge due to the zeroed pose still negatively affecting the conversion, so I'm wondering if I change G3's zeroed pose or G9? 

takezo_3001 said:

barbult said:

Adjust Rigging was intentionally removed from the interface by ManFriday because it didn't work correctly, he said. This is discussed earlier in this thread. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8278951/#Comment_8278951

Thanks for the info, I was hoping you'd chime in!

Yeah, I did not feel like hunting through the thread, but I am pleased that it was by design that the menu options were gone and not due to an error! It still works well, though G3 characters are a bit of a challenge due to the zeroed pose still negatively affecting the conversion, so I'm wondering if I change G3's zeroed pose or G9? 

As far as the "Adjust Rigging" goes, I can highly recommend Shaper Rigger Plus G9 Edition. You can do the adjustment yourself using Daz Studio built in tools, but doing it correctly is kind of a hassle because of the G9 eyes being separate geometry. It is not a simple one pass operation with the Adjust Rigging to Shape tool. Shape Rigger Plus G9 Edition makes it very easy and does a fantastic job. It was developed by Zev0 and Josh Darling. Josh is a former Daz employee and current PA who has done a lot of detailed Daz Studio YouTube tutorials.

I was in communication with ManFriday via PM in October about how to fix the converter for G3 to G9, but he dropped out of the conversation months ago and I haven't heard from him since. I also haven't seen him here in the forums, so I don't know what he is currently up to. I haven't spent any time seeing if I could get it to work without modification to the converter tool itself. If you want ot spend some time on that, I'd suggest changing the zero pose of base G3 and the G3 character you are converting, to closely match the G9 zero pose. I'm not sure how "permanent" you need to make the pose change, to make the converter tool use the changed pose.

edited December 2023

barbult said:

As far as the "Adjust Rigging" goes, I can highly recommend Shaper Rigger Plus G9 Edition. You can do the adjustment yourself using Daz Studio built-in tools, but doing it correctly is kind of a hassle because of the G9 eyes being separate geometry. It is not a simple one pass operation with the Adjust Rigging to Shape tool. Shape Rigger Plus G9 Edition makes it very easy and does a fantastic job. It was developed by Zev0 and Josh Darling. Josh is a former Daz employee and current PA who has done a lot of detailed Daz Studio YouTube tutorials.

Yes, I bought it at the same time as this script, and it works fine, except it doesn't keep the changes when I save the character unfortunately, so I've been transferring the morphs using the G9 dev model, and studio's built-in Re-Rigging system.

I was in communication with ManFriday via PM in October about how to fix the converter for G3 to G9, but he dropped out of the conversation months ago and I haven't heard from him since. I also haven't seen him here in the forums, so I don't know what he is currently up to. I haven't spent any time seeing if I could get it to work without modification to the converter tool itself. If you want ot spend some time on that, I'd suggest changing the zero pose of base G3 and the G3 character you are converting, to closely match the G9 zero pose. I'm not sure how "permanent" you need to make the pose change, to make the converter tool use the changed pose.

Well, that sucks, I hope he's alright as I would imagine that most PAs are vigilant with their release threads, so I hope it's not a serious health issue; as far as getting G3 to work I get an error during the transferring process, ironically, V7 works, save for the morph corruption due to the zeroed poses both pictured below, luckily, I have Zev0's G3-to-G9 pose converter so I'll transfer G3's zero pose to G9, I already re-installed G3 Starter essentials, so hopefully that will work for V7...

DAMN ERROR.png
    505 x 129 - 9K
    V7 ERROR.png
    1185 x 968 - 163K
    Post edited by takezo_3001 on
    edited December 2023

OK, I found "a way" to convert G3 to G9 with the ManFriday converter, but it might not be the best way. I'll post the steps after I do a little more verification - probably tomorrow.

I converted the G3 Dandelion character, because she looked like a morph that was drastic enough to stress the system. After conversion I used Shape Rigger Plus G9 Edition and then created an eye morph to scale the eyes. She poses fine, and has no obvious distortion that I see.

G3 Dandelion converted to G9.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 2023

takezo_3001 said:

Yes, I bought it at the same time as this script, and it works fine, except it doesn't keep the changes when I save the character unfortunately, so I've been transferring the morphs using the G9 dev model, and studio's built-in Re-Rigging system.

Shape Rigger Plus G9 Edition has a second tab at the top for saving the morphs after you rig them. Are you using that? Uncheck the box for Custom Save Path if you have already saved the morphs once with the ManFriday converter. This always works perfectly for me.

Screenshot 2023-12-22 034758.jpg
    482 x 101 - 18K

barbult said:

Shape Rigger Plus G9 Edition has a second tab at the top for saving the morphs after you rig them. Are you using that? Uncheck the box for Custom Save Path if you have already saved the morphs once with the ManFriday converter. This always works perfectly for me.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion/future tutorial it's kind and helpful of you, as always! 

As far as shape rigger, let me get back to you on the results of how it went, as I'm going to bed soon as well...

edited December 2023

This is what I did to make the ManFriday's Figure Converter work properly with generation 3 characters. It turned out to be pretty simple, but THIS IS NOT ANY KIND OF OFFICIAL FIX. It worked well for me, but it modifies your base Genesis 3 character, so use at your own risk. I used Genesis 3 Female, but the process should work for Genesis 3 Male if you change that base character.

The summary is, change G3F from T pose to A pose, memorize that pose change, and save the modified G3F.

Here are the details (Note that these instructions work if you install products with DIM or manual installation)

1. In your operating system file browser, open the folder containing your Content Library.
    2. In the Content Library folder, open the folder data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Female.
    3. Make a copy of the file Genesis3Female.dsf as a backup. I saved it in a different folder outside of the content library.
    4. Run Daz Studio.
    5. Load Genesis 3 Female. (She loads in the default T pose.)
    6. In the Scene pane, select her Left Shoulder Bend bone.
    7. In the Parameters pane, set the Bend value to -45. (Her arm rotates down to an A pose on the left side.)
    8. In the Scene pane, select her Right Shoulder Bend bone.
    9. In the Parameters pane, set the Bend value to 45. (Her arm rotates down to an A pose on the right side.)
    10. Select Genesis 3 Female in the Scene pane.
    11. In the Parameters pane "hamburger" menu, select Memorize>Memorize Figure Pose.
    12. In the Daz Studio menu select File>Save As>Support Asset>Save Modified Assets...
    13. A dialog box will pop up showing the assets that Daz Studio believes you have modified. It should show data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 3/Female/Genesis3Female.dsf.
    14. Up to this point, nothing has been permanently modified, until you click Accept. Click Accept.

That's it. You only have to do that ONCE, not for every character you want to convert. When you load a G3F character, she will load in the A pose, ready to convert. You should now be able to run the ManFriday's Figure Converter to convert Genesis 3 Female characters to Genesis 9 and not get distortion. After conversion, adjust rigging to shape (Shape Rigger Plus G9 Edition is by far the easiest and best way I have found to adjust the rigging (including the eyes) and save the fixes.)

When you are done converting characters, you can restore your Genesis 3 Female to her original T pose by replacing the modified Genesis3Female.dsf file with the backup file you saved, or just reinstall Genesis 3 Starter Essentials from DIM.

Here is Bethany 7 converted to Genesis 9. I applied Joan 9's materials and some G9 clothes and hair.

Bethany 7 Converted to G9_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 602K
  • alkenalken Posts: 253

Barbult, thank you for the great work-around!  Up until now I had only been converting G3 faces without the body shape.  Can't wait to try it.

alken said:

Barbult, thank you for the great work-around!  Up until now I had only been converting G3 faces without the body shape.  Can't wait to try it.

Let us know how it goes.

edited December 2023

Works like a charm.  Here's Addy's Amber G3F converted to G9.  G9 is on the left.

amber1 g3 converted to g9.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 393K
    Post edited by alken on
    Beautiful! Good work. I'm happy to hear that it worked out well for you.
    edited December 2023

Thanks so much for the great tutorial, I just converted it to PDF for easy reference, so here it is for downloading!

Parrots RULE! ;^)

pdf
    pdf
    ! BARBULT'S TUT For ManFriday’s Figure Converter for G9 FIX.pdf
    Post edited by takezo_3001 on

takezo_3001 said:

Thanks so much for the great tutorial, I just converted it to PDF for easy reference, so here it is for downloading!

That's good. I can never find the old threads again when I'm looking for them. I'll download the PDF.

edited December 2023

Here are a couple more Genesis 3 conversions to Genesis 9.

Lee 7 converted to G9

50% Monique 7 and 50% Bethany 7

Lee 7 converted to G9 2.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 3M
    G9 Monique 7 50 Bethany 7 50_001_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M

Great choices and beautiful renders! Looking forward to experimenting more in the morning. It's Bedtime for me.

I like the Bethany/Monique combo. I'm looking forward to dialing some Bethany into some skinny G9 characters.

I am still finding it hard to deal with the eye problem, I mean the eyes having to be adjusted manually. I've gotten them to be the size / position they should be I think, and I just saved the figure plus eyes as a character preset so I wouldn't have to go through the complicated process described above, to include the eye morph in the head morph. Problem is now that every time I apply a pose to the figure, the eye size / position is being reset. If I used the G9 Shape Rigger on the eyes, would that stop this from happening, does anyone know? I understood that it does not make the size / position adjustment itself, but would it fix the values for the eyes? If not, then how would I do that manually? Help once more much appreciated!

• I have a problem In both Daz Studio Public Beta (4.22.1.41) and 4.22.0.15 the heads are misshapen and the nose looks as though a chunk has been taken out of the bridge of the nose . I have tried all different combinations of base and character figures. Taken out all the morphs of the G9 figures and still had no luck with the conversions. What versions of Daz studio are the ones who are successful in their conversions

Hi tsroemi- To overcome the eye problem, adjust the eyes, then lock the eye dials used.  When posed, the eyes should now stay adjusted.  Save the character as a scene subset for future use. 

Hi ragamuffin57- I'm using DS Pro 4.22.0.15.  I have not experienced the distortions you describe.  Maybe someone else can chime in with a solution.

ragamuffin57 said:

I have a problem In both Daz Studio Public Beta (4.22.1.41) and 4.22.0.15 the heads are misshapen and the nose looks as though a chunk has been taken out of the bridge of the nose . I have tried all different combinations of base and character figures. Taken out all the morphs of the G9 figures and still had no luck with the conversions. What versions of Daz studio are the ones who are successful in their conversions

I'm using 4.22.1.41 Public Build, and I have no head or nose distortions.  Can you show some images of specific cases? Maybe we can figure out what is wrong.

• barbult said:

ragamuffin57 said:

I have a problem In both Daz Studio Public Beta (4.22.1.41) and 4.22.0.15 the heads are misshapen and the nose looks as though a chunk has been taken out of the bridge of the nose . I have tried all different combinations of base and character figures. Taken out all the morphs of the G9 figures and still had no luck with the conversions. What versions of Daz studio are the ones who are successful in their conversions

I'm using 4.22.1.41 Public Build, and I have no head or nose distortions.  Can you show some images of specific cases? Maybe we can figure out what is wrong.

Ok, This is what I am getting this is Karla 8HD  converted  G9 the G9 figure is the dev figure,no duplicate problems in the log file. Previously I had the artefacts on the nose and artefacts on the brow of the head  now I am getting a giraffe neck . if any one can throw some light on why this is happening i would be very grateful

karla 8 to g9.png
    1920 x 1920 - 1M
    edited December 2023

I can't find any Daz3D character named Karla 8 HD. Is she from some other store? Or did you mean Kala 8?
    The converter can't convert HD morphs. Did you try converting without the HD morphs dialed in? I don't own the HD add on for Kala 8, so I'm not sure what happens if you try to convert with HD morphs dialed in.

This is my result of converting Kala 8 to G9 with ManFirday's Figure Converter - no giraffe neck.

Kala 8 converted to G9 ManFriday Converter.jpg
    814 x 992 - 51K
  • ragamuffin57ragamuffin57 Posts: 132
    edited December 2023

barbult said:

I can't find any Daz3D character named Karla 8 HD. Is she from some other store? Or did you mean Kala 8?
    The converter can't convert HD morphs. Did you try converting without the HD morphs dialed in? I don't own the HD add on for Kala 8, so I'm not sure what happens if you try to convert with HD morphs dialed in.

This is my result of converting Kala 8 to G9 with ManFirday's Figure Converter - no giraffe neck.

Thanks for the reply barbult   Did not think about HD and non-HD. So I tried again with one of my favourite G8 Characters  Alawa G8. I dialled out the mouth HD. Then tried again to convert Alawa to G9 Dev  The results are as you can see not quite what I was expecting

Alawa.png
    1920 x 1920 - 2M
    Post edited by ragamuffin57 on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,364
    edited December 2023

If you try to convert HD characters, even dialing out mouth HD,

there will be only problems after conversion. See Barbult explanation.

Post edited by Artini on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,364
    edited December 2023

I have converted Alawa 8 character to Genesis 9

https://www.daz3d.com/alawa-8

and do not see any big problems so far,

Alawa8toG9pic01.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 153K
    Alawa8toG9pic02.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 150K
    Post edited by Artini on