The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• AgitatedRiot said:

Liinlcon Co MO Two tanks float away. One of the tanks is empty, and the other is about 60 percent full, holding approximately 15 to 18,000 gallons of gas. Caused city-wide evacuations. Back in 2015,

Water from the rapidly rising River Des Pere, a tributary of the Mississippi River, flooded a Phillips Pipeline Co. propane tank farm late Friday on the city's south side, causing nine of 51 30,000-gallon propane tanks to break their moorings Saturday entirely and the other 42 to float free partially. 1993 About 600 families in a 40-square-block residential and business area were evacuated. City and company officials tried to secure the tanks. They said a battery would sit it off. I lived four blocks from that one. 

My wife asks me to get her something shiny. Will this work? Her birthday is on Pearl Harbor Day.

Get two.  She might expect her "shiny" stuff to come in pairs.surprise   Either that or box up an old pair of men's suit pants with a shiny bottom.enlightened

• Complaints of the past week, in no particular order:

The other day my adorable, sweet, & super-ditzy border collie needed attention and poked his nose into my tablet, which bonked me hard in the nose. Looks fine but still feels weird.

(Last) Sunday through mid week, we had lows in the 20s (-6 ish Celsius). I am already over winter, & it's not even winter yet.

Time change. I don't care which way it changes, I hate it. 

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

So one of my tires was one PSI below the recommended amount. One. As in, instead of 31 it was at 30. I decided this was a big enough issue that I must put more air into this tire. But the tires don't have air in them. They have nitrogen. So I go to Costco where they have a pump that does nitrogen. I managed to successfully put air into two tires that didn't need more air. More on that later. But the tire that did need the air ended up being deflated instead of inflated. Apparently the pump makes the same sound whether it's inflating or deflating. Unable to get the pump to inflate the tire, I went to one of the auto workers who told me the pump won't inflate a tire that is below 15 PSI. Because who needs an air pump that can pump air into a tire that really needs more air?

The reason I put more air into the other tires was to compensate for a decrease in air pressure that I was expecting because of colder temperatures.

The pump doesn't make a sound that clearly indicates it's pumping air. You just hear the sound of air. And I assumed it was working because I heard that sound. The same sound one hears if the tire is deflating. It beeps if it's reached the desired air pressure though. I probably at some point was supposed to press the start button again, and didn't. Or assumed it started because I pressed the button and heard air moving, but it didn't. And there was probably a quantum monkey involved.

So I went down the street to a lovely midwestern delight called QuikTrip where there was a store worker pumping air into a tire for an older lady. I patiently waited until they were done. Then the older lady decided to just sit there for a while, in the only space close enough to use the air pump, and not actually leave. When she finally left, she backed out three times slower than I do, (and I back up pretty slow) and blocked my way long enough for another person to drive into the spot and not put any air into his tire.

Somehow I eventually got air into the tire and went home. I'm not going to proofread this anymore.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited November 2023

Pure nitrogen? surprise Is that common?  Why?  Are y'all that short of  oxygen in that part of the world, that you need to preserve it?devil  Or does it not work properly in your area?  Soooo, confused.sad  If I come visit you, should I bring my SCUBA tanks?indecision  Or do y'all just have too much nitrogen in your air, so that you have to extract some of it and hide it in your tires?  So very confused.frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

LeatherGryphon said:

Pure nitrogen? surprise Is that common?  Why?  Are y'all that short of  oxygen, carbon dioxide & argon in that part of the world?devil  Or do those gasses not work properly in your area?  Soooo, confused.sad

Race cars and cars driven over 200MPH use nitrogen instead of air to minimize thermal expansion. 

I don't dare to drive mine over 60MPH so good old air is sufficient blush

edited November 2023

I did not know that!surprise  Well, the next time I plan on flying 6 inches above the ground I'll check into this nitrogen idea.  Thanks.

Perhaps this thermal expansion idea works in very cold or very hot areas too?  Ah ha, I'm beginning to see some logic here.smiley  I can't figure out quantum field theory, but perhaps I can get a grasp on this nitrogen thing.yes  Or as Bill Cosbly might have said in the '60s on a record album, "Nitrogen is for blowing up basketballs, in Antartica."**

** Any ancient-ones out there who remember that album?  And how he said gasoline might get into the car's tank?   And the name of the gas station attendant?

• My Dodge has NItroigen in the Tires. I took it to the Dealer to have them top off the tires, and they told me the machine was down and that they could only regular Air could be put into them. Of course, I questioned this. I already knew that Air is about 79% nitrogen. The Dealer said it didn't matter. So I got into a rant on how that Dealer sold me a car with tires that only took Nitrogen and made me pay more for said tires. Now, they can only put regular air into them. So now I can only think it's a scam.

AgitatedRiot said:

My Dodge has NItroigen in the Tires. I took it to the Dealer to have them top off the tires, and they told me the machine was down and that they could only regular Air could be put into them. Of course, I questioned this. I already knew that Air is about 79% nitrogen. The Dealer said it didn't matter. So I got into a rant on how that Dealer sold me a car with tires that only took Nitrogen and made me pay more for said tires. Now, they can only put regular air into them. So now I can only think it's a scam.

I haven't heard of tires that can only be filled with nitrogen, but I may be wrong. Minimizing thermal expansion is the main reason for using nitrogen and if one uses steel rims, nitrogen prevents corrosion as there isn't any oxygen (or very little) for the chemical process.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110

I just remembered I have this motorcycle.  It has wheels that move according to the product page.

02-heavy-motorcycle-road-cruiser-daz3d.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 934K
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Complaint: Psychopaths.

So background first...

Last night my daughters went to drive home a friend from work, but since it was a surprise, they didn't know her mom was going pick her up instead... the mom showed up early and she asked them a small favor, if they could just do one thing her boss had asked her to do before leaving... 

Apparently some lawn signs had been placed on the landscaping in the front of the parking lot and there is a no lawn signs on private property policy and they usually remove them if the landscapers don't get to them first... no signs, ads, whatever... its private property and that's all.

Their friend was going to pick them up but since one daughter used to work there and knows most of the people at the store, she offered to do it for her... 

Simple.

But no, so they pick up six of them... power washing, a sign for some egress company and four campaign signs... and apparently as one daughter is taking up the last one, some psychopath sees her and flies into a rage, pulling into (barreling into) the parking lot from the road, to confront them... screaming and threatening them with retribution and violence... so they take off and the psychopath follows them trying to run them off the road screaming and threatening them whole time... The daughter who was driving is much better at evasive and defensive driving and managed to avoid being run off the road even though she's only had her license a few months... she managed to evade him long enough to get to the local police precinct where he broke off his pursuit a few blocks before and ran off (the psychocoward probably realized where they were headed)... A police cruiser met them in the parking lot (apparently going out to respond to their 911 call) and they filed a report and gave the vehicle description and license number, but unfortunately the daughter who was sitting in the passenger seat was not able to get any good photos or video.

Seriously... who the eff goes full mental lunatic over a friggin plastic sign that's going to have to be picked up in one more day?

Appartently a stupid sign is worth going insane over and chasing two teenage girls and trying to run them off the road... 

Yeah... it wasn't the ads that this was about either, because apparently power washing and egress doesn't illicit such fanaticism as one might believe.

The eff is wrong with some people these days?

Well, honestly I know what is, but it's not something that I can elaborate on... just complain that full screaming psychopath at the drop of a hat is now the default setting for way too many people.

And by the way, the girls are fine and back at their respective schools this morning, though neither got much sleep due to the vast amounts of adrenaline they experienced.

Theres more details to this, but that's basically it... trying to help out a friend, psychopath chase, police report and lastly, WTF is wrong with people.

edited November 2023

AgitatedRiot said:

My Dodge has NItroigen in the Tires. I took it to the Dealer to have them top off the tires, and they told me the machine was down and that they could only regular Air could be put into them. Of course, I questioned this. I already knew that Air is about 79% nitrogen. The Dealer said it didn't matter. So I got into a rant on how that Dealer sold me a car with tires that only took Nitrogen and made me pay more for said tires. Now, they can only put regular air into them. So now I can only think it's a scam.

I perfer hydrogen... makes the car lighter and if it was good enough for German Zeppelins, it's good enough for my tires... besides nothing bad ever happened to a German Zeppelin, did it?

Unless your car is a Formula 1 race car, it's probably BS... some shops fill the tire with nitrogen (as part of the cost) when you buy new tires, but I've never heard of passenger vehicle tires that only take nitrogen... some places suggest that if you have tires with the green caps (indicating nitrogen) you are better off sticking with it... from what I understand the only advantage is the nitrogen is "drier"... but if your moisture trap at the shop is functioning, that shouldn't be a concern.

I suppose when the nitrogen fad wears off the next one will be shark liver oil or refined hamster farts or some other gimmick.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited November 2023

I got a 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT. The dealer made a big deal out of the Nitrogen for the handling, better mileage, and less leaking, then went to the same people who sold me on it, said the machine was down, and put regular air. How would you feel about the Nitrogen-fill tires? Still, Nitrogen-fill tires are between 93 and 95% nitrogen; air is around 73%. They do this at NASCAR, filling tires with Nitrogen for the reasons the salesman said.

The SRT 392 models are powered by a 6.4-liter V8 that makes 485 horsepower and 475 pound-feet of torque. It's fun to drive when you take and shut off the traction control, put it sport, switch to manual shifting, and zoom driving slideways. Then you have a Nice ticket grabbing machine. She is a bit dirty right now and only has about 14000 Miles.

Don't get me wrong, I want the N; they sold it, and I want them to fill it with N. I am just waiting for the low tire Light again.

Edit: I forgot to tell you that my wife has wreaked it three times; she is no longer allowed to drive it since now it only has liability and mostly sits in the garage. I still get to have fun, though.

20231106_104804[1].jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
    Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • McGyver said:

AgitatedRiot said:

I perfer hydrogen... makes the car lighter and if it was good enough for German Zeppelins, it's good enough for my tires... besides nothing bad ever happened to a German Zeppelin, did it?

• LeatherGryphon said:

When I was still in Florida (20 years ago), I rode bicycle a lot around the city of Melbourne.  One bright sunny day while riding past a store I heard a loud hissing noise several yards away.  I came around a corner and saw a medium size horizonal propane tank (about the size of two compact cars end to end), with an obvious turbulent whitish plume of propane gas and condensed atmospheric water vapor shooting out of the top of the tank, only a few feet from the sidewalk, in between two businesses.  So I lit a match and went closer to investigate.indecision   No, wait, that's not what I did, I would have properly remembered that, if I'd remembered anything at all. blush

Oh, I remember now, I skedaddled my bicycle and my body two businesses further down the street and dialed 911.  Then I stood there, two lots away, and waited for the emergency vehicles to arrive.  It was only after 5 or 6 minutes as they were arriving that I began to think I wasn't quite far enough away.enlightened  In the end, nothing happened, the firemen just let the tank release it's excess pressure through the already opened safety valve for another 10 minutes or so (it was a very hot day), and went away.  But I often think, something setting fire to the plume of vapors volcanoing out of the top would have been a massively impressive fireball, probably covering half the block downwind.  Wheee... devil  But at least, propane is somewhat lighter than air so it wouldn't flow along the ground.  Yikes!

I think I remember the plume as being huge because I could see the shadow of the afternoon sun on the ground and neighboring building, and the schlieren caustics in the shadows indicated the vast volume of gas already in the air.   Woulda' been a big fireball.indecision

Wow! Very lucky for the neighborhood that you were cycling there, and noticed the sound. And the presence of mind to call for the fire department. To see the gas plume and know how close you were to avoid a serious disaster, I thank you for you quiet heroism.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited November 2023

my brother and I both tried it about 20 years ago

people stole the pretty red valve caps from our tires

soon gave up, not worth the fuss, didn't notice any difference in fuel consumption or performance 

I had a early 80's Nissan 300ZX which guzzled petrol anyway 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • LeatherGryphon said:

AgitatedRiot said:

Liinlcon Co MO Two tanks float away. One of the tanks is empty, and the other is about 60 percent full, holding approximately 15 to 18,000 gallons of gas. Caused city-wide evacuations. Back in 2015,

Water from the rapidly rising River Des Pere, a tributary of the Mississippi River, flooded a Phillips Pipeline Co. propane tank farm late Friday on the city's south side, causing nine of 51 30,000-gallon propane tanks to break their moorings Saturday entirely and the other 42 to float free partially. 1993 About 600 families in a 40-square-block residential and business area were evacuated. City and company officials tried to secure the tanks. They said a battery would sit it off. I lived four blocks from that one. 

My wife asks me to get her something shiny. Will this work? Her birthday is on Pearl Harbor Day.

Get two.  She might expect her "shiny" stuff to come in pairs.surprise   Either that or box up an old pair of men's suit pants with a shiny bottom.enlightened

That's so scary, tanks bobbing about the neighborhood waters. Glad nothing exploded.

AgitatedRiot said:

I got a 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT. The dealer made a big deal out of the Nitrogen for the handling, better mileage, and less leaking, then went to the same people who sold me on it, said the machine was down, and put regular air. How would you feel about the Nitrogen-fill tires? Still, Nitrogen-fill tires are between 93 and 95% nitrogen; air is around 73%. They do this at NASCAR, filling tires with Nitrogen for the reasons the salesman said.

The SRT 392 models are powered by a 6.4-liter V8 that makes 485 horsepower and 475 pound-feet of torque. It's fun to drive when you take and shut off the traction control, put it sport, switch to manual shifting, and zoom driving slideways. Then you have a Nice ticket grabbing machine. She is a bit dirty right now and only has about 14000 Miles.

Don't get me wrong, I want the N; they sold it, and I want them to fill it with N. I am just waiting for the low tire Light again.

Edit: I forgot to tell you that my wife has wreaked it three times; she is no longer allowed to drive it since now it only has liability and mostly sits in the garage. I still get to have fun, though.

Nice car... Yeah when you said Dodge I figured it was something performance.

I edited my comment between your posts, so sorry if it seems anti-nitrogen... I have it in my tires too, but they just put it in them at Costco as part of installation... after it needs topping off, I'll refill it with regular air... I actually used to have a nitrogen tank to use as a blanket gas for my resins when I did casting frequently... but now with 3D printing, nobody needs castings anymore, so I returned the tank (it's like propane swapouts, only the service owns the tank)...

My friend has more or less the same car but a year or two later... at the six month mark, almost to the hour of picking it up, some idiot had an accident on the street and went flying over the sidewalk into the car as he was leaving a 7-11 parking lot... wrecked the whole front end, almost totaling it... the other driver... no license, no insurance and multiple driving offenses.

People.

edited November 2023

Charlie Judge said:

McGyver said:

Nooooo!... When did that happen!?!... How did I miss that!... oh the humanity... but... but... they said it was "Unexplodable"!... 

Post edited by McGyver on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I had a early 80's Nissan 300ZX which guzzled petrol anyway 

That was a cool car too... unfortunately the steering wheel was probably on the "wrong" side... cheeky

Double post quote...

But while I'm at it... I hope cheeky means mischievous comment or playful joke...

My kids keeping telling me I never use the right emojis...

Then again they are mostly emojis of otters, dinosaurs or zombies... Megh.

edited November 2023

No triple posts needed here.  You're not playing cricket.indecision

If the post seems to fail and one refreshes that page, it is the same as hitting "Post Comment" again = Double post

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,502
    edited November 2023
    Double post. Ho hum
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,502
    edited November 2023

Charlie Judge said:

McGyver said:

That's what comes of forgetting your chemistry. The paint on the Zeppelin was aluminium flakes with an iron oxide binder in a drying oil matrix. Basically, the constituents of the thermite reaction used to weld steel railway rails and the fuel in some rocket engines. A spark ignited the thermite/rocket fuel paint, the hydrogen gas bags remained intact for a surprisingly long time, which is why it still remained on an even keel when more than half the outer covering was alight.

To be honest, I think the idea of Hydrogen as the lifting gas is one which was actually not bad. With current equipment, it would be safe, but modern litigation culture will prevent it's future use, not any inherent hazard. The remainder of the engineering apart from the paint was really good. 

Regards,

Richard.

Post edited by richardandtracy on

I bought a stapler a while back, but after I got home I found out it didn't come with staples.  I just bought some staples but now I can't find my stapler right away.

• Shout at the cat. Won't do any good, but you'll feel better about it. Regards, Richard.
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

McGyver said:

Unless your car is a Formula 1 race car, it's probably BS... some shops fill the tire with nitrogen (as part of the cost) when you buy new tires, but I've never heard of passenger vehicle tires that only take nitrogen... some places suggest that if you have tires with the green caps (indicating nitrogen) you are better off sticking with it... from what I understand the only advantage is the nitrogen is "drier"... but if your moisture trap at the shop is functioning, that shouldn't be a concern.

So... I'm pretty sure that's what it is... that the benefit of pure nitrogen is not so much the "nitrogen" but more the "pure". Because regular air has humidity and the water expands with heat more than nitrogen. I don't know how well QuikTrip maintains their air pump but half the time they can't keep enough water in the bun warmer to keep the buns from becoming toast.

I consider the green caps (apparently red if you're Australian) to be a status symbol, like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S themselves, indicating to the world that I am better than them because they have regular people air and I have uppity Costco air.

And whenever somebody's on top of me, beating me near a parking lot with an angry look on their face, I tell them, "you're just mad because your tires have water in them".

If you've never experienced QuikTrip, well you need to try those warm hotdog buns on a good day. Even if you don't like hotdogs.

• NylonGirl said:

McGyver said:

So... I'm pretty sure that's what it is... that the benefit of pure nitrogen is not so much the "nitrogen" but more the "pure". Because regular air has humidity and the water expands with heat more than nitrogen. I don't know how well QuikTrip maintains their air pump but half the time they can't keep enough water in the bun warmer to keep the buns from becoming toast.

I consider the green caps (apparently red if you're Australian) to be a status symbol, like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S themselves, indicating to the world that I am better than them because they have regular people air and I have uppity Costco air.

And whenever somebody's on top of me, beating me near a parking lot with an angry look on their face, I tell them, "you're just mad because your tires have water in them".

If you've never experienced QuikTrip, well you need to try those warm hotdog buns on a good day. Even if you don't like hotdogs.

Nothing is better than a warm, stale bun with a Vinyl dog (a Dog that has been cooked until the skin is like Vinyl) with 20-day-old chili and cheese with people sticking their nasty fingers on the end of the nozzles that dispense said items. I'm headed for QT ;)

I got googly eyes at home but I can't find them right away.

These are some ideas on how to use them.

IMG_2884.jpeg
    1600 x 1061 - 190K
    IMG_2883.jpeg
    1065 x 799 - 157K
    IMG_2882.jpeg
    736 x 736 - 75K
    IMG_2881.jpeg
    1280 x 960 - 247K
  • I remember when pet rocks were a thing.

This discussion has been closed.