The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited November 2023

NylonGirl said:

That's one of those stories where you're trying to be happy about it but you just can't.

The story I heard about why there were cats in the VAB, was that they were there to control the mice.  Remember the VAB is a big open box sitting in a swamp .  A box full of people and their crumbs.  All sorts of critters made visits.  Birds, snakes, armadillos, turtles, racoons, even bears & alligators.  i.e. Critters.indecision But it's entirely possible of out the thousands of people who worked in the VAB complex, that someone brought a pet cat and it went wandering & got lost.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Actual Complaint: Apparently, my back broke itself. I have NO idea how, but somehow I have a hairline fracture in my L2 lumbar vertebrae. It's miserable. And I'm a little freaked out. Send good vibes, could ya?
  • JasmineSkunk said:

Actual Complaint: Apparently, my back broke itself. I have NO idea how, but somehow I have a hairline fracture in my L2 lumbar vertebrae. It's miserable. And I'm a little freaked out. Send good vibes, could ya?

heartgood thing you found out before it caused nerve damage

vibes sent 

• JasmineSkunk said:

Actual Complaint: Apparently, my back broke itself. I have NO idea how, but somehow I have a hairline fracture in my L2 lumbar vertebrae. It's miserable. And I'm a little freaked out. Send good vibes, could ya?

Ouch!surprise   I'm out of vibes, will hums do?  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-mmmmm-mmmmmm-mmmmm-mmmmmheart 

• One of the places I worked had shop cats. We got daily deliveries in huge boxes that we returned for credit once they were empty. We often left the packing materials in the box, usually sheets of newspaper. One of the shop cats crawled into a box and ended up at the supplier's warehouse. He was a very mellow but somewhat swaggering Maine Coon, so he did his rounds greeting everyone there and came back to us the next delivery run. We initially got him because he killed his previous owner's roomate's Tarantula, which led to a "the cat goes or you both go" situation, so we agreed to take him. He came with the name Surly B**ch. He was renamed Boots.

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

JasmineSkunk said:

heartgood thing you found out before it caused nerve damage

vibes sent 

Thanks, Wendy heart

• LeatherGryphon said:

JasmineSkunk said:

Ouch!surprise   I'm out of vibes, will hums do?  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-mmmmm-mmmmmm-mmmmm-mmmmmheart 

Ouch! Don't make me laugh! LOLlaugh. Actually, a little chuckle is kinda good - Thank you! heart

• JasmineSkunk said:

Oh no! Luckily you found out now before it was much worse. If you are otherwise healthy and follow doctor's orders, it should heal fine. Take it easy and allow yourself time to fully heal. Don't overdo anything!!! I cannot stress this enough. I'm saying that as someone with serious back issues who has exacerbated those issues by regularly overdoing it. I am that idiot who always pushed through the pain instead of listening to my body telling me to stop doing whatever I was doing, or re-injured myself because I started back doing things before I was fully healed. I hope you heal fully and quickly. Good vibes sent.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,901
    edited November 2023

JasmineSkunk said:

Oh no! Luckily you found out now before it was much worse. If you are otherwise healthy and follow doctor's orders, it should heal fine. Take it easy and allow yourself time to fully heal. Don't overdo anything!!! I cannot stress this enough. I'm saying that as someone with serious back issues who has exacerbated those issues by regularly overdoing it. I am that idiot who always pushed through the pain instead of listening to my body telling me to stop doing whatever I was doing, or re-injured myself because I started back doing things before I was fully healed. I hope you heal fully and quickly. Good vibes sent.

heartThanks,sazzyazzca. I'm trying to remember that.  heart

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305
    edited November 2023

JasmineSkunk said:

That is scary, I hope you make a full recovery. As others have said, give it what it needs to heal and don't be tempted by shortcuts (the guy with horns anda  forked tail does not have indemnity insurance).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Richard Haseltine said:

JasmineSkunk said:

That is scary, I hope you make a full recovery. As others have said, give it what it needs to heal and don't be tempted by shortcuts (the guy with horns anda  forked tail does not have indemnity insurance).

laugh LOL. Thanks, Richard! I will definitely try to remember that too!heart

• It's worth having a checkup for Osteoporosis. MIL fell at hospital and broke two vertebrae, she has it. Not fun. Wishing all the best. Regards, Richard.
  • Non-Complaint: I got a phone call from my Broker. He asked me what I wanted to do with this IRA. I go, what IRA. Then he told me about this job I worked at 20, 25 years ago, and I still had an IRA under my Name. I love those calls. It made it in time for Christmas. So I told him to put in a money market account so I could update my home over the next couple of years and still keep a significant portion in the Account. I had to do it this year because there will be a 5.4% tax increase for everyone in the US.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,901
    edited November 2023
    It's worth having a checkup for Osteoporosis. MIL fell at hospital and broke two vertebrae, she has it. Not fun. Wishing all the best. Regards, Richard.
    Thanks. Yeah, my dr. has me scheduled for a MRI and bone density test on the 16th. And she mentioned something about a neurosurgeon that kinda freaked me out. And she called around 8pm last night to check on me. I have a great dr. Feel fortunate about that. But I certainly will ask her. Thank you. <3 The weird part is... I didn't fall. I didn't strain... I didn't lift anything. I have NO IDEA how it happened. I just woke up with my back hurting. Was sent to Imaging and the hairline fracture was discovered. So strange. And so surreal. And a little scary.
    Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • Complaint: Gas leak sitting in car down the street gas company checking it out now. Cats are having a hissing and crying contests.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited November 2023

JasmineSkunk said:

...low back issues, definitely not pleasant (speaking from experience).

Sending out buckets of good vibes as hugs would be painful. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • The gas is turned off now. He has to replace the meter, all clear to go home. Cats are rejoicing in their hiding spots.

• AgitatedRiot said:

The gas is turned off now. He has to replace the meter, all clear to go home. Cats are rejoicing in their hiding spots.

I'm glad you and the cats are safe. That had to be scary. 

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited November 2023

Spire sent a very nice person; he found a gas leak I didn't even smell in the Basement, which is always more dangerous. The smell was powerful when I took the cats out by the Meter. My wife and I have been having headaches, and now we know why.

Thank you for being so concerned.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175
    edited November 2023

Glad you're OK now!  Gas leak is scary!  It doesn't happend that often, though...I've had gas for most of my life.  Never caused any issues.  Woman upstairs from us fell asleep with a cigarette, though!  That was scary. (we were in an apartment at the time) She was drunk.

Post edited by DanaTA on
  • DanaTA said:

Glad you're OK now!  Gas leak is scary!  It doesn't happend that often, though...I've had gas for most of my life.  Never caused any issues.  Woman upstairs from us fell asleep with a cigarette, though!  That was scary. (we were in an apartment at the time) She was drunk.

We had fiber installed in our neighborhood.

2022, a family was inside their home on Millers Court when they smelled gas. They managed to get out before an explosion across the street completely destroyed their home.

The explosion resulted from a Gateway Fiber contractor striking a Spire natural gas line while digging to install fiber optic cables in the O’Fallon subdivision.

This is the main reason I called them from down the street.

• AgitatedRiot said:

The gas is turned off now. He has to replace the meter, all clear to go home. Cats are rejoicing in their hiding spots.

Glad everyone is okay! heart

edited November 2023

Non-complaint: Week early self-birthday present:  Yay, tomorrow is symphony day!  In the morning, I and my symphony buddy will be off to  Kleinhans Music Hall in the middle of Buffalo, NY (70 miles).  Heading toward a 2:30 PM performance of two of Rachmaninoff's best works, the Rachmaninoff 2nd Symphony, and his "Piano Concerto #2".  Palaces of music each.heart

The concert hall has excellent acoustics due to its simple, uncluttered, parabolic design.  I've been a symphony buff for decades when I lived in Washington, DC. making oodles of money.  But now in these days of personal financial brinksmanship, I still elect to treat myself well for these rare situations, and made sure to get excellent seats (balcony, front, center, left aisle), where, in this theater, the music surges toward you as a semi-coherent wave, and immerses you in pure, clear, noticeably directional sound as if you were standing directly behind the conductor.yes   I particularly like the ambience of a proper symphony.  The hall, the people, the music.  and I like the simple extravagance of a glass of champagne during intermission.  And the best part of this is that I made it possible for another Rachmaninoff lover to experience it as well.  A good time will be had by all.smiley

I've been to Kleinhan's a few times and know that parking can be bad if you don't arrive a bit early. My symphony buddy, driving the car, hasn't been there before, I hope I can convince him of the importance of being early. My poor old leg, knee, & ankle bones complain bitterly if I have to walk more than two blocks.frown

Weather is cooperating, and all other signs are "GO", but I hope Murphy is not waiting to pounce on me by causing something to ruin my day.

Yeah, yeah, I know the photo below makes it look like I'd be a mile away from the stage, but it's a very wide angle lens.  The theater really isn't that big.  It has 2400 comfortable seats.  Whereas the open-air, more affordable and accessible Chautauqua Amphitheater closer to home, with its long wooden church-style pews, can seat 5000 in exquisite discomfort.  Music is good at Chautauqua, but it's definitely BYOC (Bring Your Own Cushion)indecision

KleinhansMusicHall_Buffalo.png
    800 x 247 - 305K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909

AgitatedRiot said:

Spire sent a very nice person; he found a gas leak I didn't even smell in the Basement, which is always more dangerous. The smell was powerful when I took the cats out by the Meter. My wife and I have been having headaches, and now we know why.

Super glad to hear everyone was safe and not seriously harmed from it. We had a scare when my oldest was firstborn. We were house-sitting for my inlaws since they were over-the-road truck drivers and we were saving to get a place of our own being married only a year. We were also getting headaches all the time and the baby was always crying and we couldn't figure out what was going on. One day I woke up and our 2 birds were dead and then it hit me what it was, CO2 poisoning. I immediately called the fire Dept which was directly across the street and they came over and ran their meters through the house. They determined there was a duck trapped in the flue for the furnace. Sadly at that time, we had CO2 detectors but they never went off. The wife and newborn were in the hospital for 2 days of treatment to get their levels down. I was fine for the most part at the time because I was only at home for about 7 hours a day cause I worked 2 jobs, but since then I get terrible migraines. It's a very scary situation so everyone should have every sensor out there for everything they can.

edited November 2023

Non-complaint:  Real apple cider:  I went for a ride with a friend yesterday and she took me through the back roads deep into Amish territory.  I picked up a two quart/liter jug of it.  Mmmm... this was real cider like back in my childhood.  None of that mamby-pamby crystal clear amber water they call cider these days.  No sir.  This stuff had real bacteria in it, cloud'n it up jest right.  And I know they're a-growing still, so I gotta drink it up quickly, ..., or not.

• frank0314 said:

AgitatedRiot said:

Super glad to hear everyone was safe and not seriously harmed from it. We had a scare when my oldest was firstborn. We were house-sitting for my inlaws since they were over-the-road truck drivers and we were saving to get a place of our own being married only a year. We were also getting headaches all the time and the baby was always crying and we couldn't figure out what was going on. One day I woke up and our 2 birds were dead and then it hit me what it was, CO2 poisoning. I immediately called the fire Dept which was directly across the street and they came over and ran their meters through the house. They determined there was a duck trapped in the flue for the furnace. Sadly at that time, we had CO2 detectors but they never went off. The wife and newborn were in the hospital for 2 days of treatment to get their levels down. I was fine for the most part at the time because I was only at home for about 7 hours a day cause I worked 2 jobs, but since then I get terrible migraines. It's a very scary situation so everyone should have every sensor out there for everything they can. 

I bet it was some excellent duck jerky. devil

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited November 2023

AgitatedRiot said:

DanaTA said:

We had fiber installed in our neighborhood.

2022, a family was inside their home on Millers Court when they smelled gas. They managed to get out before an explosion across the street completely destroyed their home.

The explosion resulted from a Gateway Fiber contractor striking a Spire natural gas line while digging to install fiber optic cables in the O’Fallon subdivision.

This is the main reason I called them from down the street.

...seven years ago there was a renovation project in one of the more trendy areas just northwest of downtown.  He operator of a backhoe accidentally gouged ht a gas line which started leaking fortunately he and everyone got out of there got out just in time as it ignited and literally blew the wood building on the corner next to the worksite  (that housed my favourite bagel shop in the district) to smithereens The entire intersection was covered with splintered wood.  The bagel shop was closed at the time it happened.

It was forutunate that nobody on the street or in businsses that were damaged were hurt.as this is a farily busy shopping and dining area

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636
    edited November 2023

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  Real apple cider:  I went for a ride with a friend yesterday and she took me through the back roads deep into Amish territory.  I picked up a two quart/liter jug of it.  Mmmm... this was real cider like back in my childhood.  None of that mamby-pamby crystal clear amber water they call cider these days.  No sir.  This stuff had real bacteria in it, cloud'n it up jest right.  And I know they're a-growing still, so I gotta drink it up quickly, ..., or not.

Well if you let it ferment long enough it can turn into hard cider which can also be good. 

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

I've come to the conclusion all of those cat corpses were really just one cat that used all nine of its lives. Probably making cider too close to a gas line near a space shuttle without properly sanding the area it was walking on with osteoporosis and the wrong version of DAZ Studio.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited November 2023

interesting

cider down here is an acoholic beverage, what you call cider we call apple juice or sparkling apple juice if carbonated

we also call what you call soda or pop, softdrinks

drinks are just drinks not hard, it's the default devil

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
This discussion has been closed.