The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

Well nobody told the cat that.

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

interesting

cider down here is an acoholic beverage, what you call cider we call apple juice or sparkling apple juice if carbonated

we also call what you call soda or pop, softdrinks

drinks are just drinks not hard, it's the default devil

I wonder how many innocent tourists have bought cider for their (possibly not-so-innocent) offspring?

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

kyoto kid said:

AgitatedRiot said:

DanaTA said:

Glad you're OK now!  Gas leak is scary!  It doesn't happend that often, though...I've had gas for most of my life.  Never caused any issues.  Woman upstairs from us fell asleep with a cigarette, though!  That was scary. (we were in an apartment at the time) She was drunk.

We had fiber installed in our neighborhood.

2022, a family was inside their home on Millers Court when they smelled gas. They managed to get out before an explosion across the street completely destroyed their home.

The explosion resulted from a Gateway Fiber contractor striking a Spire natural gas line while digging to install fiber optic cables in the O’Fallon subdivision.

This is the main reason I called them from down the street.

...seven years ago there was a renovation project in one of the more trendy areas just northwest of downtown.  He operator of a backhoe accidentally gouged ht a gas line which started leaking fortunately he and everyone got out of there got out just in time as it ignited and literally blew the wood building on the corner next to the worksite  (that housed my favourite bagel shop in the district) to smithereens The entire intersection was covered with splintered wood.  The bagel shop was closed at the time it happened.

It was forutunate that nobody on the street or in businsses that were damaged were hurt.as this is a farily busy shopping and dining area

Isn't it amazing how the tree was basically untouched? 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

In here cider is also alcoholic

• Have to agree with Wendy. It only becomes cider after fermentation. The best cider slips down like apple juice, then 5 minutes later slugs you behind the eyes with a baseball bat. We bought cider off a farmer near us in Somerset (pronounced Zummerzeht) in the early 1980's who had made an award winning barrel (15ft high, 10ft diameter) that was to die for. Just gorgeous. Turns out his German Shepherd Dog did die for it. Seems it fell in and drowned before the lid was closed and fermented alongside the juice and was probably the ingredient that made the cider so delicious. The farmer only found this out when the barrel was finished and he cleaned it out. Seems the old wives tale of throwing a haunch of beef in with the cider wasn't so far off after all. Regards, Richard.
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

WendyLuvsCatz said:

interesting

cider down here is an acoholic beverage, what you call cider we call apple juice or sparkling apple juice if carbonated

we also call what you call soda or pop, softdrinks

drinks are just drinks not hard, it's the default devil

Here, cider can be alcoholic or not. Alcoholic ciders are having a bit of a moment these days.

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cider

seems to agree alcoholic is the default

WendyLuvsCatz said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cider

seems to agree alcoholic is the default

Ah yes, but the wikipedia page also says

Americas[edit]

In the US, "cider" often refers to sweetened, unfiltered apple juice, traditionally made with a distinct sweet-tart taste, and in these regions, the fermented (alcoholic) beverage is known as "hard cider".[citation needed] In Canada, "cider" usually refers to the alcoholic drink, while the non-alcoholic juice may sometimes be called "apple cider".[citation needed]

• With all this talk, I wanted to lay off cider now; I don't have time to brew some of Granny's Home Made Cider for my rheumatiz medicine.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited November 2023

Charlie Judge said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  Real apple cider:  I went for a ride with a friend yesterday and she took me through the back roads deep into Amish territory.  I picked up a two quart/liter jug of it.  Mmmm... this was real cider like back in my childhood.  None of that mamby-pamby crystal clear amber water they call cider these days.  No sir.  This stuff had real bacteria in it, cloud'n it up jest right.  And I know they're a-growing still, so I gotta drink it up quickly, ..., or not.

Well if you let it ferment long enough it can turn into hard cider which can also be good. 

That's why I'm so fond of cider from my childhood.  I could tell when it was getting tangy.yes 

We had an abandoned old apple orchard on some property my father owned, way out in the woods.  In the fall, we'd all get in the old '56 Pontiac, drive up the steep, narrow, deteriorating, dirt road up the side of the hill to the top, and pick several bushels of apples or "winter pears" from the other orchard on that property.  Then we'd drive the apples to the 1850's era cider mill in a nearby town.  The cider mill would grind up our apples (worms, rot, & all) and lay the mash out on big squares of burlap cloth then fold the corners of the burlap over and build another sacked stack of mash on top until it was several feet high.  Then the old steam powered engine with big iron pulleys and long, wide, drooping belts would turn the screw and squeeze down on the mashpile, forcing apple juice and worm juice through the burlap so that it pooled in the big tray in the bottom.  Cider was then drained into jars or buckets or whatever you brought with you.  My mother would take the cider home, filter it some more and freeze it in cardboard milk containers.  Sometimes in mid-winter we'd pull out a frozen carton of cider that had continued to "evolve" and had forced concentrated apple flavor and alcohol to form semi-frozen beads on the top.  Mmmm....tangy.yes

Outside the back door of the old cider mill was a 8 foot pile of squeeze-dried apple mash, smelling sweetly of apple silage and with a halo of out-of-work bees buzzing about it, getting drunk.smiley

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint: Week early self-birthday present:  Yay, tomorrow is symphony day!  In the morning, I and my symphony buddy will be off to  Kleinhans Music Hall in the middle of Buffalo, NY (70 miles).  Heading toward a 2:30 PM performance of two of Rachmaninoff's best works, the Rachmaninoff 2nd Symphony, and his "Piano Concerto #2".  Palaces of music each.heart

The concert hall has excellent acoustics due to its simple, uncluttered, parabolic design.  I've been a symphony buff for decades when I lived in Washington, DC. making oodles of money.  But now in these days of personal financial brinksmanship, I still elect to treat myself well for these rare situations, and made sure to get excellent seats (balcony, front, center, left aisle), where, in this theater, the music surges toward you as a semi-coherent wave, and immerses you in pure, clear, noticeably directional sound as if you were standing directly behind the conductor.yes   I particularly like the ambience of a proper symphony.  The hall, the people, the music.  and I like the simple extravagance of a glass of champagne during intermission.  And the best part of this is that I made it possible for another Rachmaninoff lover to experience it as well.  A good time will be had by all.smiley

I've been to Kleinhan's a few times and know that parking can be bad if you don't arrive a bit early. My symphony buddy, driving the car, hasn't been there before, I hope I can convince him of the importance of being early. My poor old leg, knee, & ankle bones complain bitterly if I have to walk more than two blocks.frown

Weather is cooperating, and all other signs are "GO", but I hope Murphy is not waiting to pounce on me by causing something to ruin my day.

Yeah, yeah, I know the photo below makes it look like I'd be a mile away from the stage, but it's a very wide angle lens.  The theater really isn't that big.  It has 2400 comfortable seats.  Whereas the open-air, more affordable and accessible Chautauqua Amphitheater closer to home, with its long wooden church-style pews, can seat 5000 in exquisite discomfort.  Music is good at Chautauqua, but it's definitely BYOC (Bring Your Own Cushion)indecision

How exciting!!! Congrats! smiley Hope you have an amazing time! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! heart

So this auto dealership told me the manufacturer recommends a coolant flush and fill at 32,000 miles. After reading the manual, I see it says do the first coolant flush at 120,000 miles, and then every 24,000 miles. Regardless of what people think about waiting over 100,000 miles to change coolant, I feel like they lied to me just to get money. I'm never going back there.

JasmineSkunk said:

How exciting!!! Congrats! smiley Hope you have an amazing time! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! heart

I beleive that's next week!

edited November 2023

Non-complaint:  Wonderful concert.smiley  Brilliant sounding theater.  The music is not "down there",  it's close, it's here, it's all around, enveloping you.​yes  Like you are standing right behind the conductor or leaning on the piano.  I'd forgotten how much the Kleinhan's Music Hall acoustics direct the fullness of the sound of the instruments right at you.  And as I said, in a previous post, the distance from the front of the balcony to the stage is not very far at all, it's just the wide-angle photos that make it look that way.  And from one's seats in center front balcony the field of view closely matches the normal view of human eyes and the orchestra fills a great portion of your view.  And when they play, the sound fills the space around you with bass on the right, strings on the left, woodwinds & piano in the middle.  Not all jumbled together.  And the sound today..., two hours of massive Rachmaninoff sound.yes  I cried at the climax of the 2nd Symphony's adagio(3rd mvmt.).cryingheart

Symphony buddy was most appreciative of being invited and even bought dinner for me afterwards.  Wheee...

I love a show that can make me cry because it's so good.

Happy Birthday to Frank0314!

• is this how you eat one of those Geoduck clam things?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited November 2023

...eat my previous college's mascot?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • LOL nice 

• kyoto kid said:

...eat my previous college's mascot?

No worries here mate.  They're safe from me.indecision 

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110

DanaTA said:

Happy Birthday to Frank0314!

@Frank0314 Happy Birthday! 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited November 2023

Lots of stuff has happened since I last visited...

richardandtracy got a housekeeping rat (pretty cool, I presume it's like Disney's Ratatouille only there's no hat gimmick and the rat is wearing an adorable French maid outfit)...  
    sazzyazzca created some new swear words (you need to share, I'm compiling a repository of creative profanities) and made a good point about rodent contraception... apparently I've been doing it all wrong by playing Barry White music and proving them with free alcohol...  
    Perttia said: "Been trapping for weeks now, getting one almost every night, hopefully getting rid of them before Christmas"... which made me wonder why you are collecting them (mice, right?)... if it's the for the same reason I collect rodents, I suggest using larger ones as it's easier to sew the costumes/uniforms and when you train them to reenact famous battles, the battlefield strategies are more apparent... otherwise it just looks like a bunch of mice murdering each other, which most spectators don't understand as well, like when it's larger rodents like Guinea pigs for example... then it makes more sense and people can recognize the different countries and even regiments... the details are a lot easier to see at that scale.
    JasmineSkunk broke her back... which I'm sorry to hear... I hope you feel better... I went to order you a bunch of good vibes from Amazon, but they didn't sell them, so I ordered a case "GoodVibes" from Temu where they are really, really cheap... but apparently I either didn't read it completely or the translation was bad and let's just say, when the package arrives, just refuse it or throw it out... well, technically they could be used as back massagers... Geez... you really, really have to look fully at these sort of things before ordering stuff on some websites... I was wondering why they'd need "Six D batteries - (not included)"... apparently this isn't the first time I've done it either, which explains a lot of awkward looks from older individuals whom I've sent these to before... well, mostly awkward... there have been some unexplained smiles too... very embarrassing... sorry... but feel better... 

AgitatedRiot had a gas problem... but luckily the authorities responded and it was taken care of... I just get asked to leave the room when that happens and generally nobody has ever called the authorities... well, about that.
    frank0314 had (edit: or is having) a birthday... I hope it was a fun one... I'm glad I didn't send you any discount GoodVibes... that would have been awkward... but, I hope the Birthday Otter brought you everything you wished for... Unless they don't have Birthday Otters where you are... I think maybe it's a Spotted Salamander or a Bullfrog?... or are those just the state amphibians?... Either way, I hope you had a fun birthday, regardless of the present delivery animal. 
    LeatherGryphon got some bacteria ladened apple juice... which can be quite good... literally the first time I got buzzed was as a kid at camp when we accidentally drank fermented apple juice... genuinely didn't know why we were acting stupider than normal, but the homemade apple juice turned out to be fermented... I hope you had fun at the Chupacabra Amphitheater (edit/correction:it was a different auditorium)... it's been said Chupacabras are the most musically gifted cryptozoological creatures after the Harp Seals, so it was probably a blast.

I'm probably leaving lots of stuff out from the general discussion, but I should probably go before I start writing too much as usual... be well everyone.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • Cake and cookies for Frank0314.yes

CakeAndCookies.jpg
    612 x 408 - 54K
    edited November 2023

McGyver said:

Lots of stuff has happened since I last visited...

... [snip, snip, snipity snip] ...

LeatherGryphon ] ... I hope you had fun at the Chupacabra Amphitheater (edit/correction:it was a different auditorium)... 

Were you thinking of the Kleinbottle auditorium?  Where the inside is on the outside and vice-versa.surprise

What is the difference between scamming and haggling for a better price?

edited November 2023

Sfariah D said:

Scamming is usually considered amoral, whereas haggling is not.

Scammers are trying to extract valuables or information surreptitiously, often effectively stealing, making the customer unsatisfied.  Whereas, hagglers are not hiding what they are doing, which is simply trying to increase their profit margin.  The customer usually walks away satisfied one way or the other.

Haggling is a normal business practice in some cultures. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

Sfariah D said:

Haggling is a mutual exchange. Person A gets the product or service they want, person B gets money for that product or service. Scamming involves deceit, and Person A either doesn't get the product or service they wanted or receives nothing at all, while person B still gets money.

LeatherGryphon said:

Haggling is a normal business practice in some cultures. 

Not only normal; in some cultures it's considered insulting NOT to haggle.

My sweetie was trying to convince me to learn information about cars and that type of thing.  So I told him that if I need that, can he help me with the difference between Bump Maps, Displacement Maps, and Normal Maps.  He didn't know what I was talking about.

Wow!  5 hours and nothing?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

DanaTA said:

Wow!  5 hours and nothing?

Need to sleep sometime 

This discussion has been closed.