The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

Decided to shoot myself in the hand with my new gel blaster today to see how it feels. Regreted that lol. Stung quite a bit. Shoulda shot a tree first, then I could see it shoots a lot harder than all the other ones I have lol. Live and learn.

• OK, thread trimmed - let's not get into highly contentious discussions, please.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110

I got home early to work on projects such as organizing my room and some other stuff too.  My staff went on a tirad it seemed because my room wasn't perfect when I left today.  She also added that a quip saying something like the room has never been clean or organized since I got here.  Not true but it has been a strugle for as long as I can remember.  It doesn't help me when she acts that way.  Not saying it is her fault, but she is not helping at all when she does that.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited November 2023

TheKD said:

Decided to shoot myself in the hand with my new gel blaster today to see how it feels. Regreted that lol. Stung quite a bit. Shoulda shot a tree first, then I could see it shoots a lot harder than all the other ones I have lol. Live and learn.

Would you say it's more or less as painful as a paintball round?...  Gel blasters sound like they could be fun...

I was thinking of getting a set, but I guess at this point, unless I arm a raccoon and teach it to shoot, I'm not going to have anyone to be stupid with it... I suppose I'm still thinking my kids are at that age where nerf gun fights are still fun.

Not that they don't enjoy paintball, but it's freaking expensive nowadays and my early 2000s Tipman is basically a musket compared to the newer paintball guns which are just sprayers of mass volumes of paintballs for people who have lots of money to blow playing speed rounds... 

Paintball used to be fun when the fields were for regular (flag capture type) games... now everything is "speed rounds" where the person with the most money for the most ammo and fastest gun wins... booo. No strategy anymore... just see who can spend the most.

The gel blasters seem a nice middle ground... not a nerf dart gun and not a paintball gun... 

Post edited by McGyver on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909

Thank you very much for the Birthday wishes DanaTASfariah DMcGyverLeatherGryphon. I had a great day with the family and a good meal. Complaint: No cake cause I'm on a semi-diet against my will so to speak, with medical issues as per usual. I've got an awful lot going on atm so not around a whole lot. Non-Complaint: I'm losing weight, finally. Went from 265 down to 218 in a little over 2 months, so feel really good about that. But, yeah, it was a great day getting to spend time with the ones who do really care. Thanks again smiley

Sfariah D said:

I got home early to work on projects such as organizing my room and some other stuff too.  My staff went on a tirad it seemed because my room wasn't perfect when I left today.  She also added that a quip saying something like the room has never been clean or organized since I got here.  Not true but it has been a strugle for as long as I can remember.  It doesn't help me when she acts that way.  Not saying it is her fault, but she is not helping at all when she does that.

I don't get when people with bad people skills take jobs that involve being around people... least of all ones that involve helping people... one of my daughters recently became an EMT and before that she became a Certified Medical Assistant at 16...
    The number of people she's been around who absolutely suck at dealing with people is astounding... especially some of the instructors... A handful were amazing dedicated and generally nice helpful individuals with great "people skills", but with some of them it's like "why are you doing this?"... if you aren't that fond of other humans maybe get a job that involves poking humans with sticks or throwing rotten fruit at them... anything but one that involves attempting to be comforting, pleasant or non-apathetic.

edited November 2023

frank0314 said:

Complaint: No cake cause I'm on a semi-diet against my will so to speak... 

Could I interest you in a slab of birthday Tofu?... The candles are actually the tastiest part if you wait for them to cool, but the tofu part is fairly low in calories and if you don't like flavor, it's pretty nice and bland... Plus you can color tofu all sorts of festive muted shades to make it seem more lively.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,502
    edited November 2023
    Our ratty seems to have disappeared without being eaten by the cats or trying the humane traps we've got. Given how useful it was I'm not sure whether to be pleased or not. Regards, Richard.
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909

McGyver said:

frank0314 said:

Complaint: No cake cause I'm on a semi-diet against my will so to speak... 

Could I interest you in a slab of birthday Tofu?... The candles are actually the tastiest part if you wait for them to cool, but the tofu part is fairly low in calories and if you don't like flavor, it's pretty nice and bland... Plus you can color tofu all sorts of festive muted shades to make it seem more lively.

Yeah, it reminds me of spongecake with no flavor. You have to marinate it a bit before using it otherwise why use it? Pretty much the only time I'll use it is in Oriental dishes. I'm not exactly sure how some can consider it a desert but Suum cuique.

edited November 2023

Technically, I once had tofu that was flavored and I liked it... it came in coconut and mango flavors... the texture wasn't right, it was actually billed as pudding, but it absolutely wasn't... it was allegedly tofu according to someone who worked at the place, which made more sense as tofu... I had to stop eating it though because the place went out of business and they tore down the building... and apparently the people at the high end tile store they built in its place are too good to serve me coconut tofu/pudding/dense edible substance.

richardandtracy said:

Our ratty seems to have disappeared without being eaten by the cats or trying the humane traps we've got. Given how useful it was I'm not sure whether to be pleased or not. Regards, Richard.

Aw... Ratty was the name of my daughter's stuffed rat... plush rat... I should make that distinction... I didn't give her a taxidermied rodent to play with.

Ratty had a lot of adventures and he had a whole backstory that I created... most of my kids stuffed animals had elaborate back stories too... which I told as bedtime stories... unfortunately it only worked on one of my daughters (who fell asleep easily) and it just made the other stay up longer to hear the rest of the story... with her it became an endurance test to see who would fall asleep first (her or me)... like I remember falling asleep once and waking up at 2AM to find her wide awake and staring at me... to which I inquired "why are you still up?"...  To which she replied "because you stopped telling the story"... I'm pretty sure that if I slept the whole night through, I would have found her wide awake in the morning, still waiting for the conclusion.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,901
    edited November 2023
    kyoto kid said:

JasmineSkunk said:

Actual Complaint: Apparently, my back broke itself. I have NO idea how, but somehow I have a hairline fracture in my L2 lumbar vertebrae. It's miserable. And I'm a little freaked out. Send good vibes, could ya?

...low back issues, definitely not pleasant (speaking from experience).

Sending out buckets of good vibes as hugs would be painful. 

Thanks, Kyoto. Good vibes and Hugs for you. :)
    Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • WendyLuvsCatz said:

interesting

cider down here is an acoholic beverage, what you call cider we call apple juice or sparkling apple juice if carbonated

we also call what you call soda or pop, softdrinks

drinks are just drinks not hard, it's the default devil

I wonder how many innocent tourists have bought cider for their (possibly not-so-innocent) offspring?

That's a funny thought!
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited November 2023

Complaint: People wanting to hire me without me looking for a JOB. I'm retired.

Go to the store and have two Items; you could have checked out in the self-checkout, sir. I say I am not here for a job that is your job, and I don't want to take it.

Go to the hospital to get an Echocardiogram, and they go you can check in at the Kiosk; so of course, I say, what I got to do your job also.

What's next? Do it yourself, COLONOSCOPISE, which reminds me my three probing is coming up.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

I started avoiding self checkout early on because the items I wanted were always too light for the scale to detect them, so I needed assistance from an employee anyway. I think they've gotten better since then but I still don't use them unless whoever I'm with makes a big deal out of it.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited November 2023

...I tend to avoid them as well unless I only have a few items and the regular checkout lanes have lines of people with brimming full trolleys and the checkout operator doesn't have a bagging assistant (which is the usual case at the Safeway down the street from me).

Both there and the other market I shop at (the latte a much longer walk from home) now have a picture touch screen for items like produce  so I no longer have to look up the numeric codes and type them in.  One wrong number could cause sticker shock when you saw the total bill..

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

If I wanna self checkout, will just order online :P

• At the supermarket I have been unable to pass through a single item at the self checkout without it objecting and calling a supervisor, so my short patience with the things has expired. We order online and have a late delivery so it's minimum price & we save more than the minimum delivery cost by avoiding impulse purchases. Net result it costs us less money & frees up our weekends. We also buy for 2 weeks, so the delivery costs are minimised further.

Regards,

Richard

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...I tend to shop "European style" (purchasing for a few days instead of a couple weeks)  as I don't have a lot of storage space in my apartment or a chest freezer to "stock up" and make the delivery charge worth it. I also like picking out certain items myself like produce, fruit, and meats/seafood.  Yeah it's a bother at my age to go to the market (particularly the one that is further away for certain items the Safeway down the street doesn't handle or they overprice) but I deal with it.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

My mom also has her purchases delivered.

On Saturdays she gives me the shopping list and I go to the supermarket to get it wink

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    Hi everybody!
  • TJohn said:

Hi everybody!

HI

Walmart, Costco and other companies rethink self-checkout. I like hearing this.

• TJohn said:

Hi everybody!

Well, hello TJohn!yes  Stickin' your foot in the door here?  Or just window shoppin'? 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited November 2023

kyoto kid said:

...I tend to shop "European style" (purchasing for a few days instead of a couple weeks)  as I don't have a lot of storage space in my apartment or a chest freezer to "stock up" and make the delivery charge worth it. I also like picking out certain items myself like produce, fruit, and meats/seafood.  Yeah it's a bother at my age to go to the market (particularly the one that is further away for certain items the Safeway down the street doesn't handle or they overprice) but I deal with it.

I'm the opposite.  I've arranged my situation so that I rarely have to encounter those self-checkout/irritation machines.  Only when I'm forced to end up at WalMart do I even consider it if the lines are long, but soon talk myself out of it.  The CVS drugstore is another place that keeps hinting that I should "take advantage" of the irritation machines, but I always wait for the store clerk or the pharmacist.  And as for mass groceries, I order most of my canned goods on the Internet in bulk.  Usually 8 or 12 items in a "flat" or 24 items in a "case".(gotta remember to tip the postman well this Christmas)  I keep about six months of canned and dried food(life sustaining, if not filling or exotic) at all times.  When the sun flares and the power & communication around the world goes out, I'll have a few months before panic sets in (perhaps enough time to plant a garden, or strangle a deer.)indecision

But at least I'm in an area where the water comes out of the ground freely, the ground is fertile and not covered with concrete or asphalt, and I could plant a big garden, and strangle a deer trying to beat me to the produce.wink

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Here is my Plan.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Automated services and digitalisation, ordered by people who do not have the slightest idea of how the technology works and executed by people who doesn't have the slightest idea of how people work...

What could go wrong? devil

• richardandtracy said:

At the supermarket I have been unable to pass through a single item at the self checkout without it objecting and calling a supervisor, so my short patience with the things has expired. We order online and have a late delivery so it's minimum price & we save more than the minimum delivery cost by avoiding impulse purchases. Net result it costs us less money & frees up our weekends. We also buy for 2 weeks, so the delivery costs are minimised further.

Regards,

Richard

I can deal with them because I used to work at Walmart on the Front End, so they don't try going all HAL9000 on me - and I can still scan & bag faster than the current cashiers. I still don't like that most/all WMs in my state (maybe everywhere else too?) have gone to the Zillion Self Checks/2 Real Registers model. The rationale was "cut labor costs by having fewer cashiers even though the customers think we don't have enough as it is." (Almost the only thing my customers have been right about, in my expert opinion.) Guess what? At any given time, the local WM has more attendants (4+) in their self check "bullpen" than my former, busier store ever had running registers unless it was Black Friday or Christmas week. I don't know how they handle Black Friday now, unless they set the machines to Attended Mode & put a cashier at each one.

• Non-complaint:  Friend came by and took me out for birthday breakfast.  Then we checked out a household sale.  Meh, mostly junk.frown  But I did pick up a nice professional wirestripper for $3 instead of $50.yes  But the man of the house apparently had a HUGE collection of different sized glass jars filled with bazillions of different types of screws, unfortunately not sorted very well.  I wondered whether he ever said to himself, "I know I have one of <those>", but could never find it in his scrambled library of screws.devil  Been there, done that.sad

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

TJohn said:

Hi everybody!

Hi! 

NylonGirl said:

I started avoiding self checkout early on because the items I wanted were always too light for the scale to detect them, so I needed assistance from an employee anyway. I think they've gotten better since then but I still don't use them unless whoever I'm with makes a big deal out of it.

I loathe self checkout for the opposite reason... how does one "gently" place a 42 pound box of water jugs on a scale when they are already super annoyed?...

Aside from eggs, nitroglycerin and bananas, I just want to toss my scanned items onto the platform... not to mention that for some reason almost half the vendors of such systems have felt that one second between completion of scan and contact with the platform is way too long, so they have the stupid register computer voice nag you like some obnoxious Cylon drone... "Please place you purchase on the platform or chose your payment options"... which generally leads me to say very unpleasant things back to my Cybernagatronic antagonist... very, very unpleasant things. Very. Unpleasant.

I've had the stupid scale have a conniption because I've placed a 40+ pound item on the platform at .005% less that Absolute Gentle... which causes it to freak out, thinking I'm trying to heist diamonds or something and thus stop the process, notifying me "Help is on the way", making me want to hop up and down on the platform like Daffy Duck lit out of his mind on cocaine... 

"Help"... I'll give you "Help", you sorry excuse for not paying actual human beings a living wage... the worst part is the lazy programming and shortcomings of the lame adaptation of what could be useful technology... like cyber-bro... you can't tell the item was accidentally put down slightly too hard?... like it's that initial moment of contact and that's it?... like I've got to be Indiana Jones placing the object on the dais exactly right or you are going to send the incredibly irate and overworked attendant rolling after me?

Apparently we have very round boulder-like cash register attendants around here...

And then there is the stupid pay-pad thing... 85% of them are made by the same company, yet even when they use the default set-up, it's still inconsistent... here we've done away with plastic bags in favor of poorly made flimsy paper bags for 5¢ each or reusable bags that take decades longer to breakdown in landfills... but yay, they are made of 10% recycled plastic recovered from the bowels of dead whale who choke on them... but the point is nobody can even do the plastic bags interface the same way... "how many bags did you purchase?..."  some ask immediately, some wait until you are about to pay, some ask after you chose your payment method (card, debit or animal bartering), some ask "none or enter a number", some just show a keypad and don't explain what the hell it's for if you didn't pay attention the question that flashed on the tiny screen for two tenths of a second, one actually says "none thank you, I brought my own bag" and so on... 

So like if you tend to shop at a particular store you get used to that setup, but you go somewhere else and it starts asking different questions, menus are out of order or it asks you stupid questions like "$45.56... Ok?(green check mark) or red X?"... Like what's the option there really? If I choose the red X, can I haggle for a better price?... Because $45.56 for $6 worth of crappy merchandise is way too much, so "not Okay"... okay?  Like cause honestly you keep charging more every day and I feel like your ever shrinking package of store brand cheese still isn't worth more than that dead seagull I found in the parking lot, which I'm sure if you gave me the opportunity to haggle and barter, could definitely be used to make a decent amount of overpriced "chicken" salad for the deli section, so you'd actually probably still make a good profit and I'd be happyish and the seagull could finally rest in peace in someone's sandwich... Win-win.

And then on top of all that, stores are locking up stuff like Spam (Spam... yeah... artificial meat... was locked up in a store in Queens), was that to save people from eating it or were people joke-stealing it?... regardless, they lock stuff up because people are stealing it and instead of hiring a reasonable number of employees, they have poor 87 year old Margie watching the entire store and are wondering why despite her cataract surgery giving her back most of her eyesight, people are looting the store... and now I have to wait 20 minutes for someone to unlock the toothpaste at the pharmacy and then self checkout myself on a naggy technologically outdated crap box that spits out a three foot long register receipt full of coupons I'll never use... also might I mention that that receipt tends to randomly emerge from different random places on the same pharmacy chain's exactly-the-same self checkout machines... so even after making my visit thoroughly unpleasant, you find one last way of tweaking my nipples, by making the receipt come out of different location... near the floor, three feet to right... in back of the card scanner, next to bar code scanner gun that doesn't work... so no matter what you are standing there looking at the slot with the big blinking illuminated arrow pointing to it, but instead the receipt already printed out in back of the scale six feet to the left or some random place like that... "Please take your receipt... Please take your receipt... Please take your receipt..."

This discussion has been closed.