The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975
    edited January 10

Fixmypcmike said:

Ah, but the question remains, why is it called split pea?  Is it a marketing thing, i.e. split pea sounds more appealing than dried pea?

Cause the peas are split to dry them

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

LOL has everyone got me on ignore? cheeky

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,727

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I see you. But it doesn't matter because they can't see me either and we don't know if I'm even real. 

NylonGirl said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I see you. But it doesn't matter because they can't see me either and we don't know if I'm even real. 

as a late friend said, "you are all just pixels on a screen to me", I enjoy my pixel people both meat robots and 3D heart

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442

If Tennessee Ernie Ford were in this conversation he might ask "Are y'all done with the pea-pickin' matter?"

Fixmypcmike said:

Ah, but the question remains, why is it called split pea?  Is it a marketing thing, i.e. split pea sounds more appealing than dried pea?

Never ask marketing people why.enlightened 

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

Next few days forecast is suggesting lows in the -30 to -35C range... cuuerntly -18C and snowing

...weekend forecast has been revised and  it isn't good at all.  Friday's high has been downgraded from the upper 40s to the upper 30s and fall steadily throughout the day so the rain will turn to snow much earlier resulting in nearly 8 " overnight with an additional 5" on Saturday   For the following week, high temps only in the upper 20s (F) through Wednesday with a chance of more snow Thursday and Friday.  Need more blankets and an area heater.  Need one more grocery trip to the other market further away before my self enforced hibernation. 

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

carrie58 said:

Fixmypcmike said:

Dried peas must be split, but split peas aren't necessarily dried.  If you split green peas and make a soup, it's still green pea soup, not split pea soup.

Complaint:  No one has complained about my splitting hairs.

Non-complaint:  There are no split hairs in any of my soups. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited January 10

...split peas make better soup than split atoms or infinities.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Fixmypcmike said:

If one strips the peas, they split practically on their own - Maybe "split peas" just means "naked peas"
    We don't undress peas for pea soup 

edited January 10

carrie58 said:

Fixmypcmike said:

Not necessary. Our dried peas are not naked 

Post edited by PerttiA on
    edited January 10

Complaint:  Not a call for compassion, just a status report.  I think I'm developing another detatched retina.surprise  This time in my left eye. (*sigh*).  Upon going to bed last night I noticed a small blind spot where it shouldn't be, and this morning upon waking in the dark I noticed a circular lightning flash right where the new blind spot is.  That to me, indicates a bubble forming under the retina and forcing it to incrementally tear loose(thus the momentary ring of lightning).sad  Have to make an emergency appointment with local eye doctor today.  If it's what I fear, then I'll be shuffling off to Buffalo again and will be offline for a few days. ($$$$)crying   But this time I know how to handle it.  I had an education and practice with the other eye.  However, if I catch it early, it may turn out as well as my right eye did, and last me until my spring winds down.yes

Not upset this time, just resigned to the vagaries of living too long.frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

hope all goes well heart

edited January 10

I photograph cats that wander into my yard and security cam sightings yet for some weird reason when I share on Facebook everyone assumes they are strays.

Are outdoor cats not common other places?

I keep mine indoors but I am in the minority, in the past I had cats that went outside through a cat flap and would sometimes wander to neighbours.

I wonder how many people's cats get stolen because people think they are strays because they are friendly.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Our cats are always allowed out. How else could they keep the local rodent population down to a level that means rodents coming into the house is fairly unusual?

Our current two are not interested in birds. Our late cat Rooster had a thing about Magpies, though. One occasion he blasted past other birds on the ground (knocking a Ring Collar Dove off its feet) to only just miss his target - a Magpie that had annoyed him simply by existing.

Regards,

Richard

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    edited January 10

Had the neighbours cat come into our house one night through the back door which we keep open to allow our two dogs to go out the back to do do their business.

When the dogs spotted the cat they went into full charge mode, running out the back thinking they were chasing the cat.

However the cat did a quick sideways movement into the kitchen then down the side door into the garage.

I closed the side door and coaxed the cat from out under the car, then opened the garage roller door and let the cat out through the front driveway.

The dogs were still searching for the cat out the back !

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited January 10

I live in a small country town in Western New York State.  Pet cats run wild, but dogs have had to be tethered for decades.  One year I had a stray cat adopt me for visits and snacks, and shelter in the winter (made a box for it, outside).  Then the next year it disappeared.  Now I notice a similar cat apparently living in/around a ditch culvert.  A lady down the street walks by every day on her way to work in the grocery store, the cat in the culvert comes out to greet her and she gives it a snack.  I've seen other cats wandering about too.  but when I was a kid (in the '50s) pet dogs ran wild and played (and fought) together. but returned to their homes at night.  Generally, people knew whose dogs were whose and often called them by name.  We had a dog, it had a collar but we never tethered it.  It came home after a losing battle with a porcupine, twice (either not very bright, or blindly determined for vengeance).frown  One of the most disgusting results of loose dogs, was their propensity to roll in cow poop, for some reason.no  Perhaps it was a hunting skill.  Smell like a cow and the prey won't notice you?indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Oh, that wonderful feeling of going to bed with a render 'cooking,' only to discover in the morning that WinDoze decided to shut down and restart in the middle of the night and so you've lost everything.

edited January 10

When I had a cat, he opened the spring loaded door himself, going both ways. Once I saw him doing it from the outside. He laid down next to the outside corner of the door and using his claws he pulled the door open enough to fit through the gap, but still I don't understand how he managed to get his girlfriend in surprise

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,209

Blando Calrissian said:

Oh, that wonderful feeling of going to bed with a render 'cooking,' only to discover in the morning that WinDoze decided to shut down and restart in the middle of the night and so you've lost everything.

That makes me so mad!  

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Not a call for compassion, just a status report.  I think I'm developing another detatched retina.surprise  This time in my left eye. (*sigh*).  Upon going to bed last night I noticed a small blind spot where it shouldn't be, and this morning upon waking in the dark I noticed a circular lightning flash right where the new blind spot is.  That to me, indicates a bubble forming under the retina and forcing it to incrementally tear loose(thus the momentary ring of lightning).sad  Have to make an emergency appointment with local eye doctor today.  If it's what I fear, then I'll be shuffling off to Buffalo again and will be offline for a few days. ($$$$)crying   But this time I know how to handle it.  I had an education and practice with the other eye.  However, if I catch it early, it may turn out as well as my right eye did, and last me until my spring winds down.yes

Not upset this time, just resigned to the vagaries of living too long.frown

I hope all goes well! 

oh boy I am glad dog catchers are a thing

as a kid there were big dogs loose everywhere and I was terrified of them, not many vicious but you never knew

I could never go for my daily walks if that still happened

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

WendyLuvsCatz said:

No, as I don't have you on ignore.

Do you know where I put my hdmi cable to plug into my new (to me) TV to use with my Dell Notebook? 

Sfariah D said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Do you know where I put my hdmi cable to plug into my new (to me) TV to use with my Dell Notebook? 

Look behind the sofa.  If you don't have a sofa, look in your sock drawer. 

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

Fixmypcmike said:

Sfariah D said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Look behind the sofa.  If you don't have a sofa, look in your sock drawer. 

Don't have a sofa in my room.  (There is no room for a sofa in my room!)

Might be in the sock drawer though

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited January 10

Non-compliant...

My daughter just took her "other" road test...

She passed her road test and now she can drive one of those things...

Admit it... you saw the ambulance and thought she is exactly like me and the next picture would be an SUV upside down in a ditch.

Actually she is a lot like me, but now she'll be driving the ambulance instead of riding in the back... well, actually she'll probably ride in back too... she's an EMT now.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,209

McGyver said:

Non-compliant...

Admit it... you saw the ambulance and thought she is exactly like me and the next picture would be an SUV upside down in a ditch.

Actually she is a lot like me, but now she'll be driving the ambulance instead of riding in the back... well, actually she'll probably ride in back too... she's an EMT now.

That's awesome! Good for her! 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Meanwhile... 

McGyver said:

Meanwhile... 

Sorry, that HDRI is obviously fake. 

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,727

McGyver said:

Non-compliant...

Well I am glad she passed the test and gets to ride in the front. It reminds me of the one time I got hauled off in a police car and the officer asked me if I wanted to ride in the front or the back. And actually riding in the back of the ambulance once or twice is probably going to help her as a person who has to drive while people are back there.

This discussion has been closed.