The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

been in an ambulance once, never been in a police car but the police did help me push my car back up my street and into my driveway after some feral broke my window and wrecked my ignition trying to steal it

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636

McGyver said:

Non-compliant...

My daughter just took her "other" road test...

She passed her road test and now she can drive one of those things...

Admit it... you saw the ambulance and thought she is exactly like me and the next picture would be an SUV upside down in a ditch.

Actually she is a lot like me, but now she'll be driving the ambulance instead of riding in the back... well, actually she'll probably ride in back too... she's an EMT now.

Congratulations to her. That is awesome. 

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579
    edited January 11

This made me think of a story about my brother-in-law.  He is a nurse (now retired).  He's also what in Yiddish is called a shlamozzel, somebody who bad things happen to for no reason.  Imagine a restaurant:  the klutz is the busboy who drops a tray of half-filed glasses.  The shlemiel is the waiter who slips on the mess and spills a bowl of hot soup on a diner.  That diner is the shlamozzel.

So my brother-in-law liked to work the night shift -- most of the senior nurses could choose their shifts, and most of them didn't want to work the night shift, so he was head nurse on the night shift.  One morning he was driving home from his shift.  There was a 24-hour pizza place on the corner near his house, and as he turned onto the street he saw a guy standing outside start to choke on a slice of pizza.  So he stops his car, runs out and gives the guy the Heimlich.  Once he's sure the guy's okay, he goes back to his car to find a meter maid writing him a ticket.  He explains what happened, but she will not relent.

So the guy he saved offers to pay the ticket, the pizza place offers to pay the ticket, his hospital offers to pay the ticket.  Instead, he writes to the New York Daily News -- not a little paper, the largest circulation in New York City, back when people actually got their news from the paper.  They do a full-page spread on him, the hero who got caught up in red tape.  So the NYPD cancels the ticket and gives him a public apology.

So the moral of the story?  Sometimes even the shlamozzel gets to win.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

WendyLuvsCatz said:

been in an ambulance once, never been in a police car but the police did help me push my car back up my street and into my driveway after some feral broke my window and wrecked my ignition trying to steal it

Yeah, you aren't missing anything. It's no big deal. Last, my wife wrecked the car. She refused the test, and off she went. I have been in Hoosegow overnight and never got charged; I was always released. Been more than once, always for suspicion, I did live in a bad neighborhood with hair down to my shoulders and rags for clothes. I always look suspicious. My hair is returning to my shoulders, but I have better clothes.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,727

I didn’t actually get arrested. The administrators wanted me out of the school so they called the police. There was a boy who did what I did and actually got arrested. He had gotten suspended from school and came back to school the next day. And if you come to school while suspended from school, they call that trespassing and it is treated like murder or something. The reason the boy got arrested and I didn’t was a technicality. I hadn’t actually been suspended. They just told me to go home. No paperwork filed or anything. And when I showed up at school the next day, an officer still took me away.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442

My hair hasn't seen my shoulders for 50 years.  Lately it hasn't even wanted to come out of my head.frown

edited January 11

So, I changed my security system. It's ok. Got a certificate for 20% of my insurance.  I'll more than likely have to do this to get it.

This is the discount per month.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Not a call for compassion, just a status report.  I think I'm developing another detatched retina.surprise  This time in my left eye. (*sigh*).  Upon going to bed last night I noticed a small blind spot where it shouldn't be, and this morning upon waking in the dark I noticed a circular lightning flash right where the new blind spot is.  That to me, indicates a bubble forming under the retina and forcing it to incrementally tear loose(thus the momentary ring of lightning).sad  Have to make an emergency appointment with local eye doctor today.  If it's what I fear, then I'll be shuffling off to Buffalo again and will be offline for a few days. ($$$$)crying   But this time I know how to handle it.  I had an education and practice with the other eye.  However, if I catch it early, it may turn out as well as my right eye did, and last me until my spring winds down.yes

Not upset this time, just resigned to the vagaries of living too long.frown

While I wish you didn't have to go through such an ordeal, I'm also a bit excited about it because you seemed to get such good results at the end of the last procedure. I look forward to you having clearer eyes than all of us, even the imaginary ones. 

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

I want to go to bed but it is too early.

Sfariah D said:

Pretend you're in Europe. 

edited January 12

Sfariah D said:

Wait a while and check again.enlightened 

Eye doctor for me tomorrow.  (*fingers crossed*)  Eye is actually OK today, but still needs to be examined.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Not a call for compassion, just a status report.  I think I'm developing another detatched retina.surprise  This time in my left eye. (*sigh*).  Upon going to bed last night I noticed a small blind spot where it shouldn't be, and this morning upon waking in the dark I noticed a circular lightning flash right where the new blind spot is.  That to me, indicates a bubble forming under the retina and forcing it to incrementally tear loose(thus the momentary ring of lightning).sad  Have to make an emergency appointment with local eye doctor today.  If it's what I fear, then I'll be shuffling off to Buffalo again and will be offline for a few days. ($$$$)crying   But this time I know how to handle it.  I had an education and practice with the other eye.  However, if I catch it early, it may turn out as well as my right eye did, and last me until my spring winds down.yes

Not upset this time, just resigned to the vagaries of living too long.frown

...hoping it works out.

hmmm, Buffalo in winter, huge blizzard churning in the plains forecast to barrel east towards the  Great Lakes in the next couple days. Wishing you you have a safe journey.

• LeatherGryphon said:

Sfariah D said:

Eye doctor for me tomorrow.  (*fingers crossed*)  Eye is actually OK today, but still needs to be examined.

Good luck. I still have sympathy pains just thinking about the four laser session I had to burn mine in place. 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

LeatherGryphon said:

Sfariah D said:

Hope the doctor visit goes well.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

LeatherGryphon said:

Sfariah D said:

Now it is defintaly too early to go to bed.  It is almost 9 am.

I have an eye doctor appointment coming up soon.  I asked the office if my doctor can check if I can get contacts.  Hopefully there won't be a copay. 

Non-complaint:  No retinal detachment.  Wheee...  Happy, happy, joy, joy! yes  But gotta keep an eye on it.enlightened

Complaint:  It seems the raison-detre of doctors is to find something to fix.  Now he wants to laser-evaporate the frostiness in the back surface of the lens capsule tissue in both eyes. They don't bother me, but it does complicate his view of my retina surface.   My insurance doesn't cover this procedure..frown

Non-complaint:  For now the lasering is optional.yes  But you know, in your heart, that he's right, and it will have to be done some time.  My "windows" are dirty.sad

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  No retinal detachment.  Wheee...  Happy, happy, joy, joy! yes  But gotta keep an eye on it.enlightened

Complaint:  It seems the raison-detre of doctors is to find something to fix.  Now he wants to laser-evaporate the frostiness in the back surface of the lens capsule tissue in both eyes. They don't bother me, but it does complicate his view of my retina surface.   My insurance doesn't cover this procedure..frown

Non-complaint:  For now the lasering is optional.yes  But you know, in your heart, that he's right, and it will have to be done some time.  My "windows" are dirty.sad

A few years ago (actually probably 10) my vitreous got detached by my friend's four year old daughter who hit me in the eye with a Nerf sword (my kids and his were swashbuckling with a couple of them and abandoned them on the floor and as I was kneeling down to unplug something from an outlet, I turned to see stars... she picked it up I guess trying to play with me, but apparently being four, she had bad judgment)...

It took like a year to heal and for most if that time, whenever I looked to the left quickly, I'd see a flash of light... annoying as hell it was... also initially a bit nauseating for some reason too... made looking in my side view mirror very unpleasant.

I was worried I'd need laser surgery or something, but apparently that can heal on its own.

I hope your eyeballs feel better... I know that stuff doesn't get better on its own or anything, I'm just hoping it doesn't get worse or become uncomfortable or unpleasant... especially the light flashes, that is pretty annoying.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited January 12

Complaint: fixing things is rapidly becoming too expensive any sense... the slightest, stupidest simplest materials are more expensive in their raw form then a whole manufactured new item in most cases...

Like I can buy a stamped steel serving tray for like $1.25 at DollarTwentyFiveTree (it's still "DollarTree", yeti everything is now $1.25), but a smaller thinner sheet of lower grade steel in Home Depot is like $8... 

I used to make a decent side income fixing things like gadgets and small appliances for people... mostly things that had sentimental value or were hard to replace, maybe because the item wasn't being made anymore... but I've pretty much stopped doing that because there is only so much money you can ask for the work... initially at some point as prices increased, I just absorbed the materials cost, but it's not practical anymore because it's not a slight increase, it just keeps jumping in leaps and bounds... if it was like $2 a few years ago it jumped to $3 then to five then to $8... I'm sorry, but all this single digit inflation talk is crap... not if you keep track of what you pay for things.
    I think that flies with people who don't know what stuff costs and just keep throwing money at companies regardless of what they decide to charge... if you decide to bump up the price 40% and people still buy your product, then why not try to bump it up 10% more a few months later... hell, if they ask, just say it's a supply chain issue or blame it on a conflict somewhere or Bigfoot if that doesn't seem too preposterous...

Right before Radio Shack closed I bought a bunch of stuff, I bought a couple of bags of battery contact springs (which I've used up) which were (not including final sale discounts) originally about $ 1.50 each... the same things are $10 now... WTF?... I literally could go to Dollar tree and buy several battery powered lights and take the contacts from them and have leftover lights and screws and still only pay like $8... 

And nobody can use the excuse that "well those things are made in china" because so are basic parts or raw materials anywhere you go.

Its just that people will pay $10 for a $1 bag of metal contacts, so why not charge that?

Bagh.

Post edited by McGyver on

Non-complaint:  Yay, no getting stuck in Buffalo this weekend.  I'll just watch the storm in my easy chair, with hot chocolate, snuggling under my granny blanket, watching TV as the weather reporters stand out in it.yes

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

Into the 3rd day here of a Polar Vortex experience - low temps in the -35C to -37C range..

• At those temps it doesn't matter which scale you use. -40F=-40C. Regardless of scale used it's too flipping cold. Regards, Richard.

richardandtracy said:

At those temps it doesn't matter which scale you use. -40F=-40C. Regardless of scale used it's too flipping cold. Regards, Richard.

Stargate? 

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited January 12

Hi Everybody!

I've been busy these days, but think about you all often.  I'm almost 950 posts behind, so I'm going to just respond to the November drama regarding Nigrogen in tires from way back on page 29 or so, then I'll review the latest couple of pages...

PerttiA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Pure nitrogen? surprise Is that common?  Why?  Are y'all that short of  oxygen, carbon dioxide & argon in that part of the world?devil  Or do those gasses not work properly in your area?  Soooo, confused.sad

Race cars and cars driven over 200MPH use nitrogen instead of air to minimize thermal expansion. 

I don't dare to drive mine over 60MPH so good old air is sufficient blush

The part about cars driven over 200 MPH...that is probably a valid point.  I drive a 2020 Maxima with low-profile tires, and those can heat up and according to the dashboard display, they can increase in pressure from 38 or 39 PSI to 42 or more, if it's a hot day or if I'm doing high speed freeway driving.  A 4-PSI increase represents a bit more than 10%. 

I've probably put more than a million miles on all my various cars over the years, and I think that the car manufacturers all want you to inflate much much lower, like 32 to 34 PSI.  That gives a softer ride, but it can also result in faster wear and tear, and a shorter life expectancy for a set of tires.

I've also driven on "run flat" tires.  Those have a rigid plastic or composite sidewall rib on the inboard and outboard sidewalls.  If you end up with a flat, they don't collapse all the way down to the rim.  Instead, you basically are riding on plastic rails on that flat tire, so you need to be super careful about your speed and your steering inputs.  Speed should be kept under 50 mph, and you need to be careful and gradual with your steering.  And if you go too many miles on a flat one, you'll degrade it to the point that it can't be patched and will need to be replaced.  Run flats can cost you anywhere from $150 all the way up to and over $1,000 per tire.  I prefer a donut tire for a spare rather than a car with run flats and no spare, because you can still get to the grocery store while waiting for your tire guy to order a spare.  I've had that happen.  Bought a set of 4, then a month later have a catastrophic failure, and the place didn't even have ONE left in stock!  So the donut tire might be your only way to the grocery or the doctor until a matching replacement can be sourced.

Also, I've had 2 "blowout" flat tires (not counting the slow leakers) that resulted in the tire itself being irreparable.  We're talking sidewall split or ripped, and in one case, the wheel rim was also split/ripped.  And about HALF of my puncture events were determined to be "too close" to the sidewall as to make the tire unfixable.  One of those times, I disagreed with the service person, but they "had a policy" not to fix such tires, so I'd have to arrange for a tow or something.  I ended up buying a new set from that place anyway because all of them were close to the limit (2/32nds of tread depth left, and mine were at 3 or 4).

Tires and batteries.  Those are the things I'll spend more money to keep going.  And then belts and hoses would be next.  I just bought a new battery the day before yesterday.  She just wouldn't start up one cold night, and that's the kiss of death for a 3 or 4 year old battery in Florida.

Something else I learned when I replaced my tires back in October or so:  Most tires now are not made in the US; they are actually made in South Korea or other countries.

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited January 12

Lol, I typed all that TLDR and forgot to say that I wouldn't put Nitrogen-only tires on any car I had.  Because if I ever have a problem or need to add air, then I NEED to be able to add whatever air is available to me.  Even if it's ferret farts on the side of the road in New Mexico, it's going in the tires!

The only problem is ... how many ferrets would I need, and how do you hold the li'l buggers still long enough?

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • Hey, Gryph:  Congrats on the recent eye exam.  Keep an eye on...um, yeah...that eye.

Is that Droste in nature?  Maybe only if you're seeing your eye's reflection in your eye, which includes a reflection of the reflection...

Subtropic Pixel said:

Hey, Gryph:  Congrats on the recent eye exam.  Keep an eye on...um, yeah...that eye.

Is that Droste in nature?  Maybe only if you're seeing your eye's reflection in your eye, which includes a reflection of the reflection...

You can't Droste everything you see.

Congrats on the good news.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited January 13

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  Yay, no getting stuck in Buffalo this weekend.  I'll just watch the storm in my easy chair, with hot chocolate, snuggling under my granny blanket, watching TV as the weather reporters stand out in it.yes

...that's a relief you don't have to travel  Currently nothing much falling in Buffalo but it's all heading that way along with frigid temps and extreme winds. 

In my old home of Stevens Point WI its been Snowing there and it will struggle to get above 10°F most of the week with lows below zero.  

It's actually going to be a few degrees warmer there than here in Portland tomorrow where we are expected to get about 7" of snow and ice which will pretty much bring the city to a standstill, fortunately it is a weekend.  Store shelves are already empty or close to it while I'm all stocked up and set to just stay inside and warm for the next several days, particularly as I am still getting over a nagging cold that started last weekend.

Fortunately I have a lot of new Daz toys from the Holiday Sale to play with.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

sounds good to me

As long as she doesn't ultimately get eaten by those cats.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

WendyLuvsCatz said:

sounds good to me

Alone in that?  surprise  Sounds terribly lonesome to me! 

This discussion has been closed.