The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,153

My favorite kind of dog has retractable claws and meows.

• butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,229

Sfariah D said:

Same. We have three of them.

butterflyfish said:

Sfariah D said:

Same. We have three of them.

My lease won't let me have those.  But I can have a toy.

IMG_1607.jpeg
    640 x 480 - 187K
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,413

I have a rabbit-murdering cat on my hands, but he is adorable.

20220812_095718.jpg
    3024 x 4032 - 4M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,994
    edited May 11

LeatherGryphon said:

Sfariah D said:

Is 72% humidity high?

Not if  you live in Florida.indecision   Although, in much of the civilized world, it's dehumidifier time for people comfort.   But...,"Research from the Building Science Corporation found that humidity of 70% or higher adjacent to a surface can cause serious damage to the property. The Health and Safety Executive recommends that relative humidity indoors should be maintained at 40-70%, while other experts recommend that the range should be 30-60%."

No dehumidifier?  Fans, cool drinks, shade, and near nakedness helpsenlightened.  Florida old-timer advice.​

..lor New Orleans. 

Walking out of an airconditioned location felt like walking into a Turkish steam bath.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,570
    I once went to Savannah GA in June. The hotel had A/C, and the outside of the building was running with condensation. It was hateful hot with serious humidity, could walk up to 3 paces outside before my shirt got wet. If nothing else, I admire the stubbornness of people living there. Give me a trip to the Yukon at any time of year and I'd love it.
    edited May 11

...accidentally hit some odd random key combination that caused the window to take up the whole screen and couldn't find the combination to restore it to it's original size (there was no way to reduce it using the mouse as all the upper left-hand icons to reduce or close the window were gone). 

One more "hidden feature (ie. 'bug')" I have to disable.  Tried every <CTRL> and <ALT> key combination I could think of to restore the window to its original size and ended up closing it instead which caused me to lose everything I added to my post above.

If this kind of crap happens with Win7, which has usually been very reliable and trouble free for me, I certainly don't want Win11 as who knows what will happen if dyslexia and my arthritis kicks in and I hit such an odd key combination again.

...The I Hate Undocumented Hot Keys Complaint Thread

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,472
    edited May 11

Complaint:  Didn't see any Northern LIghts last night.  Cloudy.frown

Non-complaint:  Last two days of power problems forced me to visit areas of my apartment that hadn't been cleaned for a couple years.blush  Taking advantage of the situation, I vacuumed, and re-routed some power and data cables for more efficient/accessible access.  And I moved some boxes and items to more hidden or logical places.  Tuckered me out.   Went to bed very early.

Complaint:   'Twas a second day of much lifting, traversing stairs, and getting on my knees.sad  Despite the early bedtime, this morning I could hardly walk.  Hips, knees, leg muscles, back, arms, hands, and leg cramps during the night.  But a little better now.  Still achy, but ambulatory.  Getting old sucks.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

kyoto kid said:

...accidentally hit some odd random key combination that caused the window to take up the whole screen and couldn't find the combination to restore it to it's original size (there was no way to reduce it using the mouse as all the upper left-hand icons to reduce or close the window were gone). 

One more "hidden feature (ie. 'bug')" I have to disable.  Tried every <CTRL> and <ALT> key combination I could think of to restore the window to its original size and ended up closing it instead which caused me to lose everything I added to my post above.

If this kind of crap happens with Win7, which has usually been very reliable and trouble free for me, I certainly don't want Win11 as who knows what will happen if dyslexia and my arthritis kicks in and I hit such an odd key combination again.

Was it this?  I've poked at the emoticons and accidentally hit the "Expand" button more times that I like to admit.

Screenshot-2024-05-11-095129.jpg
    688 x 344 - 24K

Complaint:  The older I get, the more often I have to refill my pepper shaker.frown 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 100,099

LeatherGryphon said:

kyoto kid said:

Was it this?  I've poked at the emoticons and accidentally hit the "Expand" button more times that I like to admit.

or F11?

I have noticed I'm getting older!  I have gray hair!  Why?

edited May 11

Richard Haseltine said:

LeatherGryphon said:

kyoto kid said:

or F11?

...that was one of the first  key combinations I tried and it didn't restore the window to the original size. (F12 opens the development editing pane which I tend to accidentally hit when trying to backspace as it is right above).

Must have been the maximise button as pressing F11 doesn't restore the window afterwards.. 

LeatherGryphon said:

...same here though it was because of light pollution in the city.  

So far no issues with getting online from the desktop at home (direct cable connection), however WiFi on the phone was somewhat buggered at times.

Reached 93° in "the 'hood" fortunately the humids were very low so it wasn't oppressive. 

edited May 11

kyoto kid said:

LeatherGryphon said:

...same here though it was because of light pollution in the city.  

So far no issues with getting online from the desktop at home (direct cable connection), however WiFi on the phone was somewhat buggered at times.

Reached 93° in "the 'hood" fortunately the humids were very low so it wasn't oppressive. 

Yeah, I agree.  Most cities would be less oppressive if they had less humans.  

.... Oh, wait...  Never mind.blush

edited May 12

...that's why I chose Portland over Seattle, the Bay Area, or LA when I decided to settle down out here .When I first moved to Portland it was a nice mellow mid sized city that had a fair number of offerings and a good transportation system (as I no longer drive), yet didn't seem as overwhelming.. 

Yeah, the transit system has it's issues, but it gets me to where I need to go and I'm not watching a good portion of my income going into a total money sink like a car (even simple things that used to be a small expense now cost hundreds if not thousands to get serviced).  Bad enough rents here are ridiculously high, but that has become a nationwide trend over the years even in small cities and towns.

ETA

../gave trying to see the aurora a second go tonight.  Went to what is the "least lit" place within walking distance  and was able to see some faint shimmering and flickering, but nothing as dramatic or colourful as I saw on the news reports tonight .

A bit into the evening the faint view I and others at the small park we were at was totally spoiled when some inconsiderate numbskull left their car parked a block of so away with the headlamps on (those garish exceedingly bright LED ones) facing directly at where everybody (self included) was standing and straining to see what we could.

The last time I saw the northern lights this far south was back in the 1970s in my old hometown of Milwaukee when a similar solar event occurred. Back then  I lived on the south side where skies were fairly dark and bulk of the city lights far enough ro the north so they didn't ruin the experience.  I was impressive as it was easy to see the "curtain effect" the aurora is often noted for. 

I was really hoping to see one more show like that but not to be..

The next maximum won't be for another 11 years, by then I'll be as old as our President currently is.

line break.jpg
    700 x 3 - 1K
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,570

We tried to see something of the Aurora too. We're 51 degrees north, so it was always going to be pretty low on the horizon & risk mixing with the light polution. It was marginal whether what we were seeing was pure light polution glow or light polution glow + a pink tinge from the Aurora. It certainly seemed a bit pinker than usual, so I'm mostly convinced, but not 100%.

Regards,

Richard

I went to bed too early to see them,  I am going to see my mum and was too excited.

hopefully I can see Misty and Oscar.

As a man in his 60s, I see no further reasons to grow up.

AgitatedRiot said:

But on the otherhand..., growing up lets one see how un-grown up one was.  It's self-embarrasing.blush   Flare bottom pants, paisley rayon blousy shirts.  Overnight drives 1200 miles, using transmission fluid when it's all you have instead of motor oil.  1001 bad approaches to sex.  Friends more stupid than yourself but yet you follow them.  Taking 12 years to get a 4 year degree.  Materialistic overindulgence.  Not keeping track of one's money.  Quitting a class-A job in a research institute, to join commercial industry.  All, so un-grownup, but prevalent.

But now that I'm closer to 80 than 70, I know, and promise not to do it anymore.devil

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,758

LeatherGryphon said:

AgitatedRiot said:

But on the otherhand..., growing up lets one see how un-grown up one was.  It's self-embarrasing.blush   Flare bottom pants, paisley rayon blousy shirts.  Overnight drives 1200 miles, using transmission fluid when it's all you have instead of motor oil.  1001 bad approaches to sex.  Friends more stupid than yourself but yet you follow them.  Taking 12 years to get a 4 year degree.  Materialistic overindulgence.  Not keeping track of one's money.  Quitting a class-A job in a research institute, to join commercial industry.  All, so un-grownup, but prevalent.

But now that I'm closer to 80 than 70, I know, and promise not to do it anymore.devil

All of this was sounding pretty good until "Quitting a class-A job in a research institute, to join commercial industry".

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,079

Regrets, I've had a few,

I think I did, I don't remember...

edited May 14

NylonGirl said:

LeatherGryphon said:

AgitatedRiot said:

All of this was sounding pretty good until "Quitting a class-A job in a research institute, to join commercial industry".

Yeah, did it twice!blush  Left a research department at the Kennedy Space Center after 5 years, for a small private software company.  Finally worked my way through a couple of Florida companies and subcontracts with places like COMSAT Corp., The Harris Corp., and Control Laser Corp., and ended up in The Mitre Corporation, a think-tank in Washington DC, for 10 years, then spent all my money on a 9 month long motorcycle trip and half-world travel.  Then tried another small software & network company consulting for DARPA, Lucent, Sprint, and ENRON**, until I got so sick of the rush & uncertainties & vagaries of private companies, that I "semi-retired* at 54,  i.e. I burned out!   I've lived in near poverty ever since. indecision But I've got stories forever.yes  Reminder to self:  Gotta write that book.frown 

*Note:  "Semi-retired" = Over 50 and unemployed.frown

**Note:  The collapse of ENRON was the trigger for my final dissatisfaction and semi-retirement.broken heart  I think that was when I finally groked that powerful people lie powerfully.no  And the experience with Lucent is a tale of woe for another time.angry (Perhaps a chapter in my book?)

AgitatedRiot said:

I did the grown-up stuff while in the foster home. Which I think is just an orphanage renamed. I got my ducks in the row and ready to do the childish stuff. Just in time for my second childhood.

I have my rides scheduled to go to Starbucks most of the weekday mornings.  I tell them to pick me up at 8 but somehow it gets translated to 8:30 in the morning.  That is half an hour later than what I tell them.

Why does my wife always wait until I'm at the opposite end of the house before asking me to "Merm frner mernferr brnerfer!?"

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,079
    Complaint: I have the galloping crud. It's viral, but don't worry you can't catch it over the internet. Headache and nausea. So much fun.

I don't feel too well so trying to go home.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,192

AgitatedRiot said:

Why does my wife always wait until I'm at the opposite end of the house before asking me to "Merm frner mernferr brnerfer!?"

laugh  Mine does the same thing. 

Complaint:  Why does YouTube throw so many bra commercials at me.frown

This discussion has been closed.