There's Always Another Sale Thread -- Discussions Only Pt 2

Comments

• TriCounterTriCounter Posts: 505

PerttiA said:

Today's offerings look pretty good, but must wait until I get home to dig deeper.

With this flood of 'new' PA's, my wallet is going to be ruined... Usually I don't buy characters, but Vicey3D has some unique, must have characters.

Combining Cheyenne 30%, 50% from Sabby et al and wish-granted seems to stack nicely even with only one token.  (Bundles in Cheyenne featured artist store that are on wishlist).

Barbaric new release can help but only really if interested in one of those items. 

dazcart.png
    1691 x 1767 - 394K
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156

kyoto kid said:

...after I wrote that I checked Lightning Deals again and found the Cyberpunk Street for 1.92$.  Now I have my fourth item.

There you go! A good time had by all. laugh

joanna said:

The last few days were quite good for the lighning deals, because of the stacking discount on Daz Originals (and all items offered in LD, from what I noticed, are DO), so I was checking them regularly. Sadly, nothing great for me, though there were some nice pro bundles (I just happened to have most of the stuff in the bundles, so the price for the "leftovers" wasn't enticing; we really need a "buy the bundle for the price of items you don't own" promotion...).

Having stuff from the bundles can be a problem. I try to avoid buying items from bundles where I like a lot of the contents. If I only like an item or two, it doesn't matter and I'll pick up the items. Otherwise, the policy has paid off and I've got whole bundles for the cost of a few parts. Daz store is interesting that way.

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 387

I think it's been noted elsewhere (maybe elsewhere in this thread!) but the Lightning Deals algorithm seems to depend more on your wishlist than your purchasing history. I don't keep a wishlist on the Daz store and never will (browser bookmarks work better for me), and I check Lightning Deals just about every day, and the algo is clearly trying to wing it and not doing a very good job. Once in a while it offers me something really good, but mostly it offers me Very Old Stuff--V4 stuff--and I have never bought more than a tiny handful of things from that era (generally specialty props which don't exist in newer versions and I want enough to bother trying to convert up).

If Lightning Deals were mostly concerned with my purchasing patterns, they would be offering me almost entirely G8 stuff, probably with a heavy emphasis on SF-ish clothing, and I would probably just see an endless series of the five thousand Yura outfits I've refused to buy multiple times. Heh.

Could be. My WL is reasonably stuffed and I get a fair number of hits in the lightning deals. But I get a lot of other stuff too. Also, for some reason the algorithm has offered me https://www.daz3d.com/deep-sea-dragon numerous times and it's not on my WL. Kinda crazy!

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,998
    If you're talking about the lightning deals thing that always on, I do not and have never believed that there is any algorithm related to an individuals purchases, wishlist, or anything else. It has always looked like a random selection, which of course means sometimes it could be something in line with your purchase history.
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Torquinox said:

joanna said:

The last few days were quite good for the lighning deals, because of the stacking discount on Daz Originals (and all items offered in LD, from what I noticed, are DO), so I was checking them regularly. Sadly, nothing great for me, though there were some nice pro bundles (I just happened to have most of the stuff in the bundles, so the price for the "leftovers" wasn't enticing; we really need a "buy the bundle for the price of items you don't own" promotion...).

Having stuff from the bundles can be a problem. I try to avoid buying items from bundles where I like a lot of the contents. If I only like an item or two, it doesn't matter and I'll pick up the items. Otherwise, the policy has paid off and I've got whole bundles for the cost of a few parts. Daz store is interesting that way.

Ok, so Kala 9 HD Bundle is not a good deal for $4.15? surprise

edited April 22

PerttiA said:

Huh? No one said anything like that or even mentioned Kala 9. So, how did you get that deal?

Post edited by Torquinox on

AlmightyQUEST said:

If you're talking about the lightning deals thing that always on, I do not and have never believed that there is any algorithm related to an individuals purchases, wishlist, or anything else. It has always looked like a random selection, which of course means sometimes it could be something in line with your purchase history.

We're guessing. I think there is something to their selection process. Otherwise, we'd all get the same deals, wouldn't we? IDK. I haven't actually tracked what turns up in there, and I'm not nearly obsessive enough to start doing that. But the sense I get is, yes, they are using something - wishlist, purchase history, viewing history, something to at least influence what goes in there. And you could still be right.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Torquinox said:

PerttiA said:

Huh? No one said anything like that or even mentioned Kala 9. So, how did you get that deal?

Daz+ member, three "Cheyenne 9 Add-Ons", one Vicey3D, "WISH-GRANTED" and 8 tokens (is $7.55 without tokens)

• ElorElor Posts: 1,099

I rarely get something from my wishlist in my LD (my wishlist is not as large as @Perttia's own, but it's not small either) and I see products from all generations despite having no interest for anything older than Genesis 3.

I would not be surprised if the system was simply pulling random numbers from eligible products, which, from what I saw, is any non Daz+ Daz Originals older that, I would say, one year (I'm not entirely sure, but I started to see Genesis 9 products in here around one year after their initial release).

Generating four random numbers from the list of non owned product is the easiest and fastest way to get four products and if the system was more complex than that, I think it would at least check if a bundle has at least one non-owned product: from experience, the system doesn't even do that (as an example, one of the two medieval Victoria 9's bundles ended in my selection, a couple of weeks after I bought Victoria 9's Mega Bundle during her anniversary promotion).

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited April 22

Torquinox said:

kyoto kid said:

...after I wrote that I checked Lightning Deals again and found the Cyberpunk Street for 1.92$.  Now I have my fourth item.

There you go! A good time had by all. laugh

...hmm, wonder if I triggered something as I just picked up the Survival Instinct Boots for Genesis 8 for 2$ as an LD item.  That's #5.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,776

Torquinox said:

AlmightyQUEST said:

We're guessing. I think there is something to their selection process. Otherwise, we'd all get the same deals, wouldn't we? IDK. I haven't actually tracked what turns up in there, and I'm not nearly obsessive enough to start doing that. But the sense I get is, yes, they are using something - wishlist, purchase history, viewing history, something to at least influence what goes in there. And you could still be right.

there has never been anything related to my wishlist, or even my purchases, other than I buy products from DAZ. The stuff in lightning just seems random and mostly textures for stuff I dont even have 

• TomhipTomhip Posts: 328

Wishlist offer does not have a use limit... tempted to do a few runs now but low on GF :P

kyoto kid said:

...hmm, wonder if I triggered something as I just picked up the Survival Instinct Boots for Genesis 8 for 2$ as an LD item.  That's #5.

Should I admit that LD offered me https://www.daz3d.com/survival-instinct-mega-bundle for about $10? Yup! Happened last night. I built it into a purchase with my Daz+ PA coupon, knocked the price down to $7.06 . I didn't have anything from the bundle, had the bundle on my WL for a little while. Very happy! The whole purchase was quite favorable. yes

daveso said:

there has never been anything related to my wishlist, or even my purchases, other than I buy products from DAZ. The stuff in lightning just seems random and mostly textures for stuff I dont even have 

I'm sorry to hear that. My experience has been quite different.

PerttiA said:

Torquinox said:

PerttiA said:

Daz+ member, three "Cheyenne 9 Add-Ons", one Vicey3D, "WISH-GRANTED" and 8 tokens (is $7.55 without tokens)

Impressive! It seems there are rewards to spending a lot. I have lower limits. I'm not the only one who sees what I spend, and I like a peaceful life. angel

• jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 482

columbine said:

I think it's been noted elsewhere (maybe elsewhere in this thread!) but the Lightning Deals algorithm seems to depend more on your wishlist than your purchasing history.

Can't be true.  I've gotten a disproportionate amount of texture and pose sets in my offerings since it started.  I've never had a pose pack in my WL, and a recent new release is the first time I've had a texture set in my WL.  I've never put fantasy stuff in my WL, and I get an awful lot of fantasy sword and weapons products.  Stuff that is in my WL, the frequency of related items showing up in my "curated" selections ranges from average to not at all.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,348

I am also of the opinion that the lightning details are completely random. I have never noticed any correlation between what I have bought and/or what is on my WL, to what appears in LD. The only rule that I have seen is that you are never offered anything that you already own.

Having said that I have bought a fair bit of stuff in there, mostly when they stack with other offers to give very low prices. The selection changes 8 times a day, so that is 32 different products per day. Even if they are completely random, as I believe, by the law of averages eventually something of interest will appear in there.

Even if the total random ppl are 100% correct, I will say lightning deals have been very good to me.

• Guess what! With the 48 hour Wishlist coupon sale, if you have a New Release wishlisted, it will act as its own trigger AND if there's items from today's new PAs - it stacks with that WL discount for 75% off.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...yeah, I found that out too.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636
    edited April 23

I was really surprised to see a new pro bundle so early in the week and less than a week after the release ofthe last pro bundle (Cheyenne 9). For some reason Daz seems to really pushing the release of new corecharacters lately.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

I got an orange banner for it with an offer for extra 50% off the bundle. Haven't had a chance to look at any of it, though.

• Torquinox said:

Even if the total random ppl are 100% correct, I will say lightning deals have been very good to me.

Alas, I seldom have that luck. Mostly I still get generations I don't use (gen 3 or 4, but sometimes G9); a genre I'm not into like pirates, Egypt, or skimpwear*; or textures when I don't own the base item. I think I have bought less than 10 LDs all told. But there were others I would have picked up if they had showed up when I had any extra cash, and I did wishlist those.

*Skimpwear might as well be a genre!

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

*Skimpwear might as well be a genre!

Pretty sure skimpwear is a genre. I hope your luck improves. smiley

Neanderthal is not convincing me to hop on G9 today. I like the dwarven stuff, but the whole thing is giving me an out of budget error.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,776

Torquinox said:

Neanderthal is not convincing me to hop on G9 today. I like the dwarven stuff, but the whole thing is giving me an out of budget error.

I'm close to saying heck with the budget on this one. laugh With the pro purchase the one offer allows 3 items at $10 off each ... it ended up 3 free. Then I aded two add-on items and got the bundle price down to 37. What was interesting, the total came to $5 less than without the 2 add-ons. DAZ math is mighty strange. The only thing holding me back is that I don't NEED any of it.  

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,114
    Seems to be a day for bucking recent trends:

1. Bundle release on Tuesday instead of Thursday.

2. Older-style loyalty discount via orange banner.

3. Starter and Alt Shapes Bundles not included in Pro Bundle.

(Speaking of #3... Can we please get one of those "complete/claim the bundle" offers?)
  • joannajoanna Posts: 1,289

doubledeviant said:

(Speaking of #3... Can we please get one of those "complete/claim the bundle" offers?)

I think there hasn't been one for nearly a year now... :(

This discussion has been closed.