Daz Studio 4.9 Beta Now Available..

Comments

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    mjc1016 said:
    Jan19 said:
    mjc1016 said:
    3. Most importantly.. the DIM downloads are *incredibly* slow. I do almost all of my content downloads and updates when I am at home on a fiber optic connection. Yet it will still take all night to download 50 gigs of items from DIM. On the same connection I can download my entire Steam library (500+ gigs) overnight with no problem.

My connection is not quite a snail's pace, but it sure isn't fiber speed.  My son recently redownloaded his Steam library and I'm pretty sure it isn't 500 GB it took about a week to complete it. 

I could not re-download 500 gigs of stuff or my DAZ Library.  I just could not do it.  Even if I stayed up every night, for free download time, it wouldn't be possible.  Well, it'd be incredibly difficult anyhow. 

Not required. 

Adctually, for me it will be.  Everything I currently have installed is in this format: uppercase first letter, lowercase everthing else...Daz Connect is all lowercase.  Therefore I picked wrong when trying to decide which of the several filename formats exist now.  And I use a case sensetive files sytem.

To redownload everything? That is not required. 

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    ghosty12 said:

Well looking over at http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/64736/daz-studio-pro-beta-version-4-9-0-21/p6 and DAZ_Rawb's post it seems we will be able to download a encrypted archived file and a single authorization file unique to the user of the product the user has purchased..

Quoted from his post:

2. For users that want a single file they can download for a product we are building that option right now. It is my fault that this feature has not yet been implemented, I prioritized features that would improve the online experience first. You will be able to download (and backup) a package file (I don't want to call it a zip because the contents are encrypted) and an authorization file (that is unique to your user) which will let you install products while offline. You will have to connect any new machine at least once to download your user key to that machine but after that these package and authorization files can be used without ever connecting again.

Once again: We will be allowing users to download single file packages for all of their products that can be backed up and installed from.

This is good. Really. It's the one single good thing that I have read so far.

I am just wondering about another issue with this scheme. After you have downloaded the installation package and the authentication file, and DS has validated it against your unique user key, the contents of the package are installed into your content library. How will the individual files in the content library be protected from unlawful copying? Will it be the case that every single time DS loads a DSON asset it will check against the authentication file and user key to verify that you are legally entitled to use it before combining it into the scene? Even things like poses or camera presets? Nice bit of overhead there.

As a side effect that will effectively wipe out any of the tools that are around for editing DSON files because only the DAZ Studio core will be able to open them.

And then it'll be pretty bad luck if you happen to be offline and out of range of WiFi when a delayed Windows 10 update corrupts your hard disk and you lose your User Key. You do know that is going to happen, right? People will get locked out of their content and they aren't going to be very pleased when it happens. Just imagine someone whose very livelihood depends upon being able to use DS; suddenly he's up against a deadline and BANG No User Key, No Content. Contract lost. Penalty claim filed.

The lawyers at DAZ must be working overtime trying to change that EULA to make sure they won't be liable.

• DAZ_Rawb said:

I (admittedly) have not read through this entire thread, but I am incredibly concerned about these online developments. Why?

1. I do 75% of my work while I am offline. Most of the time with no access to the internet (planes, hotel rooms, work, etc.)

You are never required to be online in order to use your content. You only need to be online to download updated metadata or to download and install a product from the web store.

2. Most of the time, when I am online and working, it is through my phone's cellular connection. Which is costly. Particularly if data connections are going on behind the scenes and not obvious or able to be disabled.

On a cellular connection I would recommend working in offline mode. Although there typically won't be much in the way of data transfer should you purchase a lot of content (like one of the PC+ mega bundles) Daz Connect will automatically download product thumbnails and metadata for those products.

3. Most importantly.. the DIM downloads are *incredibly* slow. I do almost all of my content downloads and updates when I am at home on a fiber optic connection. Yet it will still take all night to download 50 gigs of items from DIM. On the same connection I can download my entire Steam library (500+ gigs) overnight with no problem.

Good news! Part of moving to an encrypted storage system means we can better utilize CDN networks so you will no longer be limited by the download speed of our servers. Speeds through our CDN will improve as more users utilize the system and the caches are filled on the remote content nodess. I have fiber at home and DIM's download speeds have been frustrating to me at times as well.

Okay, thank you for the clairifcation. That puts me somewhat at ease.

I am just about to cross the 10,000 item threshold in DIM so I was pretty concerned of the impact these changes would have on me.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,015
    acanthis said:
    ghosty12 said:

Well looking over at http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/64736/daz-studio-pro-beta-version-4-9-0-21/p6 and DAZ_Rawb's post it seems we will be able to download a encrypted archived file and a single authorization file unique to the user of the product the user has purchased..

Quoted from his post:

2. For users that want a single file they can download for a product we are building that option right now. It is my fault that this feature has not yet been implemented, I prioritized features that would improve the online experience first. You will be able to download (and backup) a package file (I don't want to call it a zip because the contents are encrypted) and an authorization file (that is unique to your user) which will let you install products while offline. You will have to connect any new machine at least once to download your user key to that machine but after that these package and authorization files can be used without ever connecting again.

Once again: We will be allowing users to download single file packages for all of their products that can be backed up and installed from.

I am just wondering about another issue with this scheme. After you have downloaded the installation package and the authentication file, and DS has validated it against your unique user key, the contents of the package are installed into your content library. How will the individual files in the content library be protected from unlawful copying? Will it be the case that every single time DS loads a DSON asset it will check against the authentication file and user key to verify that you are legally entitled to use it before combining it into the scene? Even things like poses or camera presets? Nice bit of overhead there.

As a side effect that will effectively wipe out any of the tools that are around for editing DSON files because only the DAZ Studio core will be able to open them.

And then it'll be pretty bad luck if you happen to be offline and out of range of WiFi when a delayed Windows 10 update corrupts your hard disk and you lose your User Key. You do know that is going to happen, right? People will get locked out of their content and they aren't going to be very pleased when it happens. Just imagine someone whose very livelihood depends upon being able to use DS; suddenly he's up against a deadline and BANG No User Key, No Content. Contract lost. Penalty claim filed.

The lawyers at DAZ must be working overtime trying to change that EULA to make sure they won't be liable.

That would be something for the Daz Folks to explain about as I myself have no idea..

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

I'm still trying to figure out what is going on here.  If you are just changing the method of downloading to be inside the DAZ program itself rather than in a stand-alond DIM I don't think anybody who is not using zip downloads will have a problem with that.  If you want to put suggested items in, sure, what the heck, as long as I can turn that off while I am trying to work.  What I am hearing here is that you download the content from the cloud just like you do now (the cloud being another name for a remote server), and that it resides on your machine thereafter.  It is also still possible to use the content on more than one machine as long as you authenticate your program on that machine right?

My basic question is can I still bypass smart content and use the file structure of my drive to organize content, or will moving stuff around break my content?

Even if you are using the DIM you ARE USING zips...they may not be evident, but DIM downloads the zips to a temporary folder then unzips them for you.

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817
    acanthis said:
    ghosty12 said:

Quoted from his post:

A subset of Daz specifc files are re-encrypted using your user specific key when they are installed. The rest of the content is left unencrypted. This does mean that when reading a duf file for example it will need to stream it through a decryption system but in our testing there was no measureable difference, many duf files are already compressed for example and would have to run through a decompression system and that also didn't make any difference in the performance of the application. The biggest chunk of time on loading any of these files is processing the contents of that file.

• DAZ_Rawb said:

So DazRawb,

Okay, my studio has six machines. three are render nodes with no software on them bar the network headers for the software that uses those nodes.

The other three machines have Studio installed. Two of those machines share the Content of the MAIN workstation, via content location paths over a home/personal network on which all these machines are connected.

With this change to how content is downloaded and authenticated by Studio, will my two machines which share the content library of the main machine STILL be able to locally load the content stored on the main workstation, as they currently do.??, will it matter if they are running Daz 4.8 as opposed to 4.9.??

Cheers,

S.K.

For existing content, or new content downloaded through DIM/Product Library there will of course be no change between 4.8 and 4.9.

For any Daz Connect products you have installed they would be able to share the files on a local file share as long as the machines that are accessing that content have connected at least once. The tricky part of this one is that the databases about the files would get out of sync and we are planning but have not yet implemented a way for Daz Connect to refresh the database contents based on the filesystem in a completely offline manner. As further beta builds get pushed out there be sure to check the changelog for this to be implemented and confirm that it works for your particular use case.

Hi DazRawb,

This goes someway to mollifying me.!!!!..

I don't as a rule install beta software but wait for the completed version before upgrading.. But if you can consider in your development the few users who may be sharing content via a Master Content location, to several machines on a personal network, and help to faciliate that continued practice that would be appreciated. Ideally I would prefer the other machines to NOT have to logon to validate the product.. if this can be done once via the Master Content machine and the KEY accesible to any of the networked machines that would be an elegent solution..

Indeed if you are ever to have any kind of network rendering capability within Studio in the Future, you would need to implement this feature in anycase, otherwise Scene content could not be loaded to render nodes for rendering.

Regards,

S.K.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

Personally, I always found it way easier to backup the entire library and be done with it than try to puzzle out specific packaged individually.

Just wish I could point Dropbox to my Daz folder directly. Ah well.

I do.  My Dropbox has My Library, which is 216GB of almost exclusively DAZ-sourced content.  I was very concerned this would muck with that, but thankfully the technology choices they made seem to mesh fine with that.

--  Morgan

• DAZ_Rawb said:
    acanthis said:
    ghosty12 said:

Quoted from his post:

A subset of Daz specifc files are re-encrypted using your user specific key when they are installed. The rest of the content is left unencrypted. This does mean that when reading a duf file for example it will need to stream it through a decryption system but in our testing there was no measureable difference, many duf files are already compressed for example and would have to run through a decompression system and that also didn't make any difference in the performance of the application. The biggest chunk of time on loading any of these files is processing the contents of that file.

Probably the best candidates for that would be files in the data directory, I can't imagine it would be useful to do that with the scripts, they can always be recreated.  Which means (hopefully) I can still move those around.  If you aren't doing it in the .DUFS it also means you can still port scenes around, the files they call would just all have to be validated on that machine, if it didn't they don't load just as they don't now unless all the content is present on the machine you moved the .DUF too.  OK, I can handle that in the name of keeping the pirates at bay.  I also imagine you will not do that with anything marked a merchant resource for obvious reasons.  Carry on.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

I'm gonna bypass the disccussions on this dubious new "install method" to ask more pertinent questions about this update...

Has the RIB creation problem (that exists at least on Macs for past several versions) been fixed?

Has the Camera controls not immediatily recognizing when you've let go of the mouse button been fixed?

Has the randomly select a bunch of things at once rather than the one thing you click on been fixed?

Has the slowness as you add items to a scene been improved?

What I'm asking is, during the efforts to improve Studio as a sales platform featuring suggestions, DRM, "Cloud" integration, and what smells a lot like competition lock out, have there been improvements to the usability to the actual program?

• OK, so I'll be able to download a product package file and an authorization file.  This will also be the case for older, converted content?  I download the package file for Victoria 6, there's an authoeization file to let me install her?

• DecoyboyDecoyboy Posts: 508
    icecrmn said:

New beta installed here :) *happy*

I like the store intergration, though I don't see the suggestion part yet.

first render attached, this one was broken for me in 4.8, works now :)

My Studio crashed every time i tried to use that item and Iray.

Scavenger said:

I'm gonna bypass the disccussions on this dubious new "install method" to ask more pertinent questions about this update...

Has the RIB creation problem (that exists at least on Macs for past several versions) been fixed?

Has the Camera controls not immediatily recognizing when you've let go of the mouse button been fixed?

Has the randomly select a bunch of things at once rather than the one thing you click on been fixed?

Has the slowness as you add items to a scene been improved?

What I'm asking is, during the efforts to improve Studio as a sales platform featuring suggestions, DRM, "Cloud" integration, and what smells a lot like competition lock out, have there been improvements to the usability to the actual program?

Can you please provide the ticket numbers for these bugs so I can check their actual status for you? 

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,127
    Decoyboy said:
    icecrmn said:

New beta installed here :) *happy*

I like the store intergration, though I don't see the suggestion part yet.

first render attached, this one was broken for me in 4.8, works now :)

My Studio crashed every time i tried to use that item and Iray.

Mine did also,,but it is fixed in 4.9

OK, so I'll be able to download a product package file and an authorization file.  This will also be the case for older, converted content?  I download the package file for Victoria 6, there's an authoeization file to let me install her?

Older content will be accessable through everything you have today in addition to having the product package and authorization file. 

• ImagoImago Posts: 5,069

Have they finally implemented the LipSync from the 32bit version?

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited October 2015
    Jan19 said:

So will we be downloading over and over?  If I use an item in a scene once, will I have to download it again if I want to use it again?  If the answer is yes, some of us couldn't do that.

No.

Thank you. smiley​   I know you all are tired of answering the same questions, in different forms, but some of us truly don't understand how this will work.  The quick answers are really appreciated.

Post edited by Jan19 on
    Jan19 said:
    Jan19 said:

So will we be downloading over and over?  If I use an item in a scene once, will I have to download it again if I want to use it again?  If the answer is yes, some of us couldn't do that.

No.

Thank you. smiley​   I know you all are tired of answering the same questions, in different forms, but some of us truly don't understand how this will work.  The quick answers are really appreciated.

We are happy to answer, the more the actual truth is out there and understood the fewer pitchforks and torches will be out there.

Imago said:

Have they finally implemented the LipSync from the 32bit version?

Unfortunately no. It is a limitation of the license.

I am not saying there can't be a different solution in the future, but I am also not saying there will be a solution in the future. 

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited October 2015

A little bit of a vent here but I am going to keep it civil...

I am really tired of the "flavor of the month" that DAZ seems to endlessly churn.

When using DS and navigating my content I use the "Content Library" tab and Windows Explorer. I don't use Smart Content because the vast majority of my purchased items do not have meta data.

I was a slow adopter to DIM because it took months and months for the content to by migrated.

Now I see this same cloud on the horizon. Months and months (if not years, if ever) of time before older content is migrated. And the Smart Content above was never fully integrated.

I see double content directories in my future again. Even more confusion trying to remember if things are in my "Poser Format" content directory, or my "DS Format" directory or my "DAZ Connect" format directory.

I just hope that this time DAZ will follow through and complete the process. Not take it half way and leave another orphaned mess behind.

DIM_Status.jpg
    564 x 47 - 23K
    Post edited by Jason Galterio on
  • A little bit of a vent here but I am going to keep it civil...

I am really tired of the "flavor of the month" that DAZ seems to endlessly churn.

When using DS and navigating my content I use the "Content Library" tab and Windows Explorer. I don't use Smart Content because the vast majority of my purchased items do not have meta data.

I was a slow adopter to DIM because it took months and months for the content to by migrated.

Now I see this same cloud on the horizon. Months and months (if not years, if ever) of time before older content is migrated. And the Smart Content above was never fully integrated.

I see double content directories in my future again. Even more confusion trying to remember if things are in my "Poser Format" content directory, or my "DS Format" directory or my "DAZ Connect" format directory.

I just hope that this time DAZ will follow through and complete the process. Not take it half way and leave another orphaned mess behind.

If you choose to use the Connect system for your old content (which isn't mandatory) there will apparently be a converter so you won't need to redownload (unless the product itself has updated files, and then only the updated files will need downloading). As far as I can tell a very high proportion of the existing content is already available via Connect.

• A little bit of a vent here but I am going to keep it civil...

If you choose to use the Connect system for your old content (which isn't mandatory) there will apparently be a converter so you won't need to redownload (unless the product itself has updated files, and then only the updated files will need downloading). As far as I can tell a very high proportion of the existing content is already available via Connect.

You just voiced my very concern. "A very high proportion" is not all.

And, if it is like the Poser / DS debacle, there is no easy way to tell which items are only available in one or the other format.

I have content going all the way back to the V1 days, most of which is Poser only. I also have content where the model is Poser only and the Materials are DS only. It is a complete mess which means I have to rely on Windows Explorer to search, because the built in search function is hit or miss. And more miss when Poser only files are involved.

These are all files I have purchased here. I am not refering to other vendors or manually installed items.

I am not expecting a perfect world of organization, but I would ask that projects are finished before TPTB move onto the latest project.

edited October 2015
    acanthis said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    acanthis said:
    ghosty12 said:

Quoted from his post:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/932662/#Comment_932662

Post edited by Chohole on
  • dvitoladvitola Posts: 136

I'm about to ask a dumb question. I just switch out the DAZ library that comes with the new version with my DAZ Library that I have built and saved to my hard drive. It includes poser files as well as all the products that are DAZ .dufs and such. Am I not going to be able to do this with the new update? I just want to make pictures, not figure out rocket science. I have no idea about what the Connect is or the DRMs. I use a Mac and drag and drop is the way I do stuff. Thanks. Denise

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    acanthis said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    acanthis said:
    ghosty12 said:

Quoted from his post:

Here's another, purely hypothetical question:

User loads a figure that is protected by DAZ DRM. He/she wants to make a morph, so tries exporting to Hexagon.

OOOOOPS!  DRM chain broken! UNLESS ... a Rights structure is attached to the object inside the scene (more overhead) and the DAZ/Hexagon Bridge is rewritten to test for the user having the right to export the content. But wait ... now it's in Hexagon ... no DRM. And, as Hexagon hasn't been updated since I don't know when, that's a problem. The source code probably won't even compile any more it's so old. And then there's Carrara. Then what about OBJ exports? Should the user be prohibited from exporting in FBX format? Prohibited for all DRM'd content or just some? User rights structure needed again - plus the code to enforce it.

The complexity of this just keeps on multiplying.

Have fun.

And? I don't see an answer to these points. In fact, if the bridges keep their existing functionality, as it says on that page, then I'm assuming that you can just export a DRM'd object and do what the hell you want with it. If, on the other hand, you will not be allowed to export then the answer on that page is wrong.

acanthis said:
    acanthis said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    acanthis said:
    ghosty12 said:

Quoted from his post:

Here's another, purely hypothetical question:

User loads a figure that is protected by DAZ DRM. He/she wants to make a morph, so tries exporting to Hexagon.

OOOOOPS!  DRM chain broken! UNLESS ... a Rights structure is attached to the object inside the scene (more overhead) and the DAZ/Hexagon Bridge is rewritten to test for the user having the right to export the content. But wait ... now it's in Hexagon ... no DRM. And, as Hexagon hasn't been updated since I don't know when, that's a problem. The source code probably won't even compile any more it's so old. And then there's Carrara. Then what about OBJ exports? Should the user be prohibited from exporting in FBX format? Prohibited for all DRM'd content or just some? User rights structure needed again - plus the code to enforce it.

The complexity of this just keeps on multiplying.

Have fun.

And? I don't see an answer to these points. In fact, if the bridges keep their existing functionality, as it says on that page, then I'm assuming that you can just export a DRM'd object and do what the hell you want with it. If, on the other hand, you will not be allowed to export then the answer on that page is wrong.

The bridges and exporters are unaffected. Just like the post says. 

dvitola said:

I'm about to ask a dumb question. I just switch out the DAZ library that comes with the new version with my DAZ Library that I have built and saved to my hard drive. It includes poser files as well as all the products that are DAZ .dufs and such. Am I not going to be able to do this with the new update? I just want to make pictures, not figure out rocket science. I have no idea about what the Connect is or the DRMs. I use a Mac and drag and drop is the way I do stuff. Thanks. Denise

Don't worry, everything that you already have installed should be usable in 4.9 without having to jump through any hoops. If you have a lot of content you may have to wait for a minute or two the first time 4.9 starts so it can upgrade the data in the database, but otherwise it will be seamless.

If you want to sign on via Daz Connect then you would be able to install and update your content entirely through Daz Studio, without having to jump back and forth between that and DIM.

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited October 2015

If I could ask one more question, then I'll shut up.  In My Library, I dispensed with the main Content folder, so I just have all the subfolders in My Library.  I don't know why I did that.  To get rid of the extra tab, I guess.  Anyway, to use the new 4.9 with the Connect/Install system, do I need to reinstall items into a Library with a main Content folder?  Copying stuff over to a new Content folder won't work.  I just tried that.

Post edited by Jan19 on
    Jan19 said:

If I could ask one more question, then I'll shut up.  In My Library, I dispensed with the main Content folder, so I just have all the subfolders in My Library.  I don't know why I did that.  To get rid of the extra tab, I guess.  Anyway, to use the new 4.9 with the Connect/Install system, do I need to reinstall items into a Library with a main Content folder?  Copying stuff over to a new Content folder won't work.  I just tried that.

In order for them to be converted to Daz Connect enabled products without redownloading all of the files would have to be in the locations that they were installed by DIM.

Otherwise we would have to run through and hash the contents of all of the files in the content library, which for many users with multiple hundreds of gigabyte content libraries it would take far too long.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

My Library IS the main content folder.   There should not be a folder named Content in the My Library folder.

And that is one of the prime reasons for broken content...it's called nesting and doesn't work.

This discussion has been closed.