Daz Studio 4.9 Beta Now Available..

Comments

• acanthis said:

This may be a curve ball but I think that I've just realised why DAZ have been taking so long releasing the Genesis 3 Male! I bet they're going to make it DS4.9 cloud-downloadable only!

You've got to hand it to the guys running things at DAZ. They know all the tricks.

Except that M7 is not yet late by the standards of previous generations.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    Nyghtfall said:

My basic question is can I still bypass smart content and use the file structure of my drive to organize content... ?

With content you already have, yes.

With new content downloaded with DAZ Connect, no.

DAZ Connect will require content archives be kept in the cloud and downloaded as needed.  

Not quite correct. The content is still on your local machine. You can back up your content locally. You do not need to connect to the Internet to use, or even restore your content from a backup you have made. 

• diogenese19348diogenese19348 Posts: 927
    edited October 2015

Never mind, the post I was replying to aparently wasn't correct.

Post edited by diogenese19348 on
  • Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 765
    edited October 2015

Not quite correct. The content is still on your local machine. You can back up your content locally. You do not need to connect to the Internet to use, or even restore your content from a backup you have made. 

But we won't be downloading ZIP's anymore, right?

Post edited by Nyghtfall3D on
  • DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817

So DazRawb,

Okay, my studio has six machines. three are render nodes with no software on them bar the network headers for the software that uses those nodes.

The other three machines have Studio installed. Two of those machines share the Content of the MAIN workstation, via content location paths over a home/personal network on which all these machines are connected.

With this change to how content is downloaded and authenticated by Studio, will my two machines which share the content library of the main machine STILL be able to locally load the content stored on the main workstation, as they currently do.??, will it matter if they are running Daz 4.8 as opposed to 4.9.??

Cheers,

S.K.

For existing content, or new content downloaded through DIM/Product Library there will of course be no change between 4.8 and 4.9.

For any Daz Connect products you have installed they would be able to share the files on a local file share as long as the machines that are accessing that content have connected at least once. The tricky part of this one is that the databases about the files would get out of sync and we are planning but have not yet implemented a way for Daz Connect to refresh the database contents based on the filesystem in a completely offline manner. As further beta builds get pushed out there be sure to check the changelog for this to be implemented and confirm that it works for your particular use case.

Nyghtfall said:

Not really relevant. Do you believe format is more important than how the content is used? 

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    acanthis said:
    Ivy said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:

3. Install a product. Since new browsers are dropping support of a feature we needed to have DIM be able to start a download from the web store we needed to develop a new system to allow for a nice web integration. This way you will be able to tell an online and connected version of Daz Studio to start a download of a product from your phone / work computer (naughty, naughty) and not have to be on the same machine that is running Daz Studio.

I will say this again. I do not like this change one bit , No sir not one bit.

I love using Daz Studio,  Studio4.8 is the Bomb. But I see no improvements worth me upgrading to 4.9, The only benefit i see to downloading the 4.9 studio is for daz to be able to control how i download and use my content in the future. I love how the UI is now in 4.8 I don't need a nanny for my content.. .  So what I have read here has given me enough information to decide that Daz4.8 will be the last copy of Daz Studio I will be downloading. When the Daz Store come to the point they will no longer be supporting a simple Zip file download for the product I bought.  then that will be the day that I will  I will no longer be purchasing products here at daz. I am sorry Daz  no matter  how much Daz claims its because of the changes of web, and it will improved  user experience I am calling BS,.., The web will always continue to support a simple zip file. My Android Nexus has App for handling PK & winzip zip files content I can load onto a Mirco sd card..

Anyway  this not a decision I have taken lightly considering the amount of time and vast amount of money I have invested in using Daz Studio software.   Though its true I will not be able to get new products and the new bright and shiny updates, I feel I have enough content to last a life time that I can use now in my current version of Studio 3a & 4.8,  Poser.

I thank you daz very much for giving me he opportunity to learn a new way fo doing Illustration and 3d and I have really enjoyed the friends I have made here and sharing what I have learned..  But in all good conscience  I can not continue to use  or support a product that feels like they need to nanny me and my content.   I now relies loyalty means nothing,   8 years I have invested here at daz spending around $ 100 a month you can do the math. on what total I have spent here., though I will admitt I have spent a heck of a lot less since genesis 3 came out. So  I will take with the last copy of daz studio 4.8  I will use all the content that is offered that will support  when that runs out so has my buying days here.

This has been a very sad turn of events  I do not like this change not one bit to the point  when I can no longer get a simple zip download for the product i buy then I am done with buying any more daz products.

I agree 100% with these sentiments.

[EDIT: A passing thought. The guys at Smith Micro must be rubbing their hands with glee over this early Christmas present ;)]

As much as I don't like badmouthing the other guys, if you think Poser is DRM free you may want to check out some of the issues users have had with it's automatic deactivation system if you don't let it get online for long enough.

Fortunately they did provide some inspiration for us, because we never "time out" an authentication. If you download a bunch of stuff through Daz Connect in online mode and then decide to never connect again that content will work forever on that machine.

I think you will find that I referred to Poser's License Activation in an earlier posting. That is also a royal pain and in fact shows why this current plan is so ill thought out.

As to your promise about content being licensed forever. All I will say is that you don't implement a DRM system like this unless you build in the ability to expire previously downloaded products. It's going to happen sooner or later, don't you worry. For example, what about a product that suddenly becomes the subject of a copyright infringement lawsuit? DAZ are not going to immediately delete all of the downloaded copies of it, in order to comply with a court order? They will hit that Remote Delete button quicker than you say DAZ Connect!

acanthis said:

This may be a curve ball but I think that I've just realised why DAZ have been taking so long releasing the Genesis 3 Male! I bet they're going to make it DS4.9 cloud-downloadable only!

You've got to hand it to the guys running things at DAZ. They know all the tricks.

Except that M7 is not yet late by the standards of previous generations

I know there isn't a timetable for these things. What I'm saying is how could DAZ turn down this golden opportunity to force their customers into DRM by making G3M/M7 a DS4.9-only product? Honestly, who would? It's a perfect scenario.

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited October 2015

DAZ Connect will require content archives be kept in the cloud and downloaded as needed.  This means no ZIP files to download and store locally.

So will we be downloading over and over?  If I use an item in a scene once, will I have to download it again if I want to use it again?  If the answer is yes, some of us couldn't do that.

Some ISPs restrict downloads to X gigs per month.

I have Cloud items for other programs, but if I download it once, it's there on my HD, so I can access it again if I need to.

As far as the updater goes, could there be a "you have updates for X items.  Do you want to download them now?" button?

Some of us just have to stay within a certain gig download range.  No way around it.

Post edited by Jan19 on
    Nyghtfall said:

Not really relevant. Do you believe format is more important than how the content is used? 

Well it is relevant, actually. Without the ability to keep a backup copy of the product that you've paid for, be it ZIP, RAR or CD-ROM, what do you do WHEN the DAZ Cloud goes down? I think that was at the heart of some of the earlier questions being asked about this scheme.

One thing about clouds: there are a lot of them around, and they have a habit of dropping crap on people's heads.

Jan19 said:

So will we be downloading over and over?  If I use an item in a scene once, will I have to download it again if I want to use it again?  If the answer is yes, some of us couldn't do that.

No.

acanthis said:
    Nyghtfall said:

Well it is relevant, actually. Without the ability to keep a backup copy of the product that you've paid for, be it ZIP, RAR or CD-ROM, what do you do WHEN the DAZ Cloud goes down? I think that was at the heart of some of the earlier questions being asked about this scheme.

One thing about clouds: there are a lot of them around, and they have a habit of dropping crap on people's heads.

You can still back up your data and your database locally. In fact I, personally, recommend it. The format of the things you are backing up is not relevant. 

edited October 2015

I believe they're both equally important.

Part of why I prefer manually installing content is because I like deleting files I don't need.  For example, starter bundles come with content designed to give new users something to toy around with while learning how to use the software.  I don't need any of it.  After downloading the ZIP file, I install it in a Test folder used to examine the content's folder structure, delete what I don't need, and then re-organize the rest.  I then cut/paste my newly customized content to my main content folder.

My understanding is that I won't be able to do that anymore.  I can arrange, rename, and delete my own Categories from within DAZ to my heart's content, but all of the unwanted files will still take up space on my drive.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

This might go better, guys, if we didn't assume the absolute worst about Daz's intentions and capabilities.

edited October 2015

This might go better, guys, if we didn't assume the absolute worst about Daz's intentions and capabilities.

It's kinda hard not to when the FAQ includes statements like, "New products will begin to migrate toward a Daz Connect-only delivery."

• A "cloud" is just another name for a remote server.  I think they've already made clear that you download all the content to your own computer, and that you validate the use of the content through authenticating your computer to your account.  The files are not going to be stored any differently then they are now, they'll reside on your local hard drive, the whole thing would be way too slow otherwise.  You're going to back them up just the way you're doing now, and you are going to restore them the same way.  You may have to reauthenticate the program when you are done if you had to restore that.  Oh BTW, Poser support just got completely officially dropped (ahem).

The only question I have is can I move the script files around the way I do now after downloading without breaking the system, that is, can I set up a directory structure for /Genesis3 Female/Clothes/Skimpware, /Genesis3 Female/Casual Clothes, etc and move the script folders into them, or am I stuck with the original directory structure?  I do realize I will be breaking smart content, I am doing that now with gay abandon.  It also means I have to do some manual adjustments with updates.  Will that still be possible?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Sadly, there is a reason why folks assume the worst. (I say that knowing that Daz's Customer Service - my only real measure of Daz as a company - is top notch.)

acanthis said:
    Nyghtfall said:

You can still back up your data and your database locally. In fact I, personally, recommend it. The format of the things you are backing up is not relevant. 

Right. So product install files do not exist in the DAZ 4.9 world. There's only your Content Database and your Content Library. The files that constitute the "product" are files stored all over the cloud; I can see how that works and how it's good for DAZ, but what would you prefer? Backup your content ZIP files so that, even in the worst case scenario, you can manually extract them? or backup your entire Content Library every time you install a new product. OK, you can do incremental backups, but that starts to become one very complex system after the simplicity of a repository of ZIPs.

As I said, this IS relevant and it WILL affect the way people work. I don't like it, but I'm sure there are many who will be absolutely salivating at this wonderful new technology!

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    acanthis said:
    acanthis said:
    Nyghtfall said:

Right. So product install files do not exist in the DAZ 4.9 world. There's only your Content Database and your Content Library. The files that constitute the "product" are files stored all over the cloud; I can see how that works and how it's good for DAZ, but what would you prefer? Backup your content ZIP files so that, even in the worst case scenario, you can manually extract them? or backup your entire Content Library every time you install a new product. OK, you can do incremental backups, but that starts to become one very complex system after the simplicity of a repository of ZIPs.

As I said, this IS relevant and it WILL affect the way people work. I don't like it, but I'm sure there are many who will be absolutely salivating at this wonderful new technology!

You are of course correct; folks are here (because they've already been affected) by the mere fear of what might happen. Whatever the actuality brings, well we'll see.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,015
    edited October 2015

Well looking over at http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/64736/daz-studio-pro-beta-version-4-9-0-21/p6 and DAZ_Rawb's post it seems we will be able to download a encrypted archived file and a single authorization file unique to the user of the product the user has purchased..

Quoted from his post:

2. For users that want a single file they can download for a product we are building that option right now. It is my fault that this feature has not yet been implemented, I prioritized features that would improve the online experience first. You will be able to download (and backup) a package file (I don't want to call it a zip because the contents are encrypted) and an authorization file (that is unique to your user) which will let you install products while offline. You will have to connect any new machine at least once to download your user key to that machine but after that these package and authorization files can be used without ever connecting again.

Once again: We will be allowing users to download single file packages for all of their products that can be backed up and installed from.

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
    acanthis said:
    acanthis said:
    Nyghtfall said:

First DAZ_Rawb has stated that individual files are being worked on. 

Second Incremental back ups are not complex if you use proper software to do it.(Which comes with every back up piece of hardware on the market.)

• acanthis said:
    acanthis said:
    Nyghtfall said:

It has been said, several times, that there will be an offline option so that people can download on another machine (or at a location with better connectivity) and then install on their working system - presumably, though I don't know this, we will have the option to store the files involved (I suppose it dpends on whether the key times out). As someone with a bandwidth cap I certainly hope there's a way to keep an archive of installers, whatever format they are in.

• DAZ_JonDAZ_Jon Posts: 582

a

acanthis said:
    acanthis said:
    Nyghtfall said:

The files are stored in directories specific to the product. So if you just bought and installed Victoria 7, and you want to backup just that product, you just need to make a copy of that one folder. You can zip it, rar it, burn it to a cd-rom, copy it to tape drive, or backup any other way you want, and get just that one product, similar to if you did it with the zip. The one real difference is it will be the entire product, so products which consist of 4 different zip files that are broken up due to size and problems that come with downloading multiple-gig single file downloads, are all in that one directory, so if you made a zip of it, it would, essentially, be the combination of all 4 zips.

• You're going to back them up just the way you're doing now, and you are going to restore them the same way.

I have several partitions set up across three SSD's.  One of them is used exclusively for 3D art.  Even Studio is installed on it.  I don't put or use anything on my C drive, and I don't use the DIM or Smart Content.

This is an image of the Downloads folder on my 3D art drive.  It contains ZIP files inside sub-folders that correspond to the structure of my main content folder.  I backup all of my drives every night.

If 4.9 will let me continue doing that my way, then I have nothing to worry about.  Otherwise, my 3D art hobby may be dead because DAZ is my principle source of content.

content.jpg
    286 x 335 - 10K
  • DAZ_JonDAZ_Jon Posts: 582
    acanthis said:
    acanthis said:
    Nyghtfall said:

It has been said, several times, that there will be an offline option so that people can download on another machine (or at a location with better connectivity) and then install on their working system - presumably, though I don't know this, we will have the option to store the files involved (I suppose it dpends on whether the key times out). As someone with a bandwidth cap I certainly hope there's a way to keep an archive of installers, whatever format they are in.

That solution is coming in two files. The package itself (contains all the encrypted assets) and an authentication file (generated per user per product, never times out, used to tie the asset package to your account for offline auth). So you can keep that package if you want, or just directly backup the downloaded directory of the product.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,015
    DAZ_Jon said:

That solution is coming in two files. The package itself (contains all the encrypted assets) and an authentication file (generated per user per product, never times out, used to tie the asset package to your account for offline auth). So you can keep that package if you want, or just directly backup the downloaded directory of the product.

With knowing this I am now at ease that I can save my meagre 200gig download allowance for downloading new purchases.. :)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

Personally, I always found it way easier to backup the entire library and be done with it than try to puzzle out specific packaged individually.

Just wish I could point Dropbox to my Daz folder directly. Ah well.

• DAZ_Jon said:
    acanthis said:
    acanthis said:
    Nyghtfall said:

Just out of curiousity, how is that securing anything?  Unless you put some security inside the installed file(s) themselves, wouldn't anybody be able to create a modified asset from it and distribute it as they please?  Yeah, the installation package would be secured, the installed product would not.  And that kind of DRM (encryption of the installed file) would be what raises everybody's hackles on the subject.

acanthis said:
    acanthis said:
    Nyghtfall said:

First DAZ_Rawb has stated that individual files are being worked on. 

Second Incremental back ups are not complex if you use proper software to do it.(Which comes with every back up piece of hardware on the market.)

I know. The point is that YOU are making people do more work. Do you not get that?

I have seen the post about package files and that is very welcome. It still won't convince me about DAZ's intentions, but it is a step in the right direction.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Jan19 said:
    mjc1016 said:
    3. Most importantly.. the DIM downloads are *incredibly* slow. I do almost all of my content downloads and updates when I am at home on a fiber optic connection. Yet it will still take all night to download 50 gigs of items from DIM. On the same connection I can download my entire Steam library (500+ gigs) overnight with no problem.

My connection is not quite a snail's pace, but it sure isn't fiber speed.  My son recently redownloaded his Steam library and I'm pretty sure it isn't 500 GB it took about a week to complete it. 

I could not re-download 500 gigs of stuff or my DAZ Library.  I just could not do it.  Even if I stayed up every night, for free download time, it wouldn't be possible.  Well, it'd be incredibly difficult anyhow. 

Not required. 

Adctually, for me it will be.  Everything I currently have installed is in this format: uppercase first letter, lowercase everthing else...Daz Connect is all lowercase.  Therefore I picked wrong when trying to decide which of the several filename formats exist now.  And I use a case sensetive files sytem.

This discussion has been closed.