Daz Studio 4.9 Beta Now Available..

Comments

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited October 2015

If you know the IT security business, then you do know that 100% security does not exist, to the contrary. Especially as everything is in the user's control. Believing that these measures are safe is just futile.

Edit:

Zev0 said:

... and do not impact your working experience.

My working experience is impacted by this, thank you very much.

Post edited by Renpatsu on
  • No such thing as unhackable or unbreakable

Old Proverb A secret can be kept by two people as long as one of them is dead

• Jan19Jan19 Posts: 1,109
    edited October 2015
    Zev0 said:
    Renpatsu said:
    Zev0 said:

The encryption is tied to your account. That means you cannot distribute the product. Eg like giving somebody else a copy of your game that requires a serial number that you own. This does not mean you cannot send to other apps to modify. If that was the case us content creators would not be able to make content or update a product if it was encrypted in that manner. If it is in your account and you own it, and you want to edit and modify, I see no reason why you cannot. But it won't work if distributed. That is what I understand from what I have read. So how will this stop piracy? Well, the way I see it is if you get an illegal copy of a product where the encryption doesnt match your account, Daz can pick it up and block it, or trace the encryption from the person who distributed it. So in theory, it can work as an anti piracy measure. Unfortunately piracy is out of hand, and something needs to be done. It cannot continue the way it is. All product released this week are already on warez sites and sometimes it really makes you wonder why you bother at all if it's just stolen the next day.

Zev, I love your products, but believing that all this crap will actually prevent piracy and bring in customers that were previously lost is IMHO rather naive.

It's not being naive. People like getting things for free if they don't have to pay for it, even people with the highest moral ground. How often do you hear of users waiting for discounts and refuse to buy a product at full price? Now imagine if some can get it for free off illegal sites. Think they are going to say no? On my products alone, there are more warez and torrent Downloads than purchases. Naive? Sorry. If they aren't made available for free, more would buy. This whole saying "those who torrent or DL from warez won't buy anyways" is a load of rubbish.They would buy if the free temptation didn't exist.

Not always true, there.  Years ago, a friend offered to let me try a high end program, with an illegal key to "unlock" it.  I said, "no, better not."  Would I have loved to try the program?  You betcha.  But I knew better.  I am no good at being a criminal, and I doubt many others here are either.  It was just not worth the risk of getting caught, embarassed, possibly fined, etc.  Do I love a bargain?  Hells, yeah.  But I will pay what I have to for an item, if I want it bad enough.  I'd be willing to bet a good percentage of folks here feel much the same way.  If not, I'm a terrible judge of human nature. :-)  (I did end up buying the program.)

Post edited by Jan19 on
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,065
    edited October 2015

Nothing is 100% safe, but some measure of protection does change the outcome. That's like saying surfing the web without an anti-virus is just as safe as one with an anti-virus installed. In this regard, I believe the DRM will reduce the amount of piracy, just like an anti-virus reduces the amount of viruses you could get.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited October 2015
    Renpatsu said:

If you know the IT security business, then you do know that 100% security does not exist, to the contrary. Especially as everything is in the user's control. Believing that these measures are safe is just futile.

Edit:

Zev0 said:

I am going to ask this, because I genuinely need to know. How? Please be specific in how this has an effect on your workflow. 

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited October 2015
    Renpatsu said:

Edit:

Zev0 said:

I am going to ask this, because I genuinely need to know. How? Please be specific in how this has an effect on your workflow. 

By the need to have a encryption key on all my devices and home sever to use the Daz conent product  that I paid for to set up the way I want in my file system.. now you want it the way you want. . . if I have a Sytem crash or a major  update or over haul..I will need to start all over. when I could have just run a shadow copy off my back up   that is a very big inconvenience and interuption  that do you guys not get. after I installed daz connect it changed my Primary files and located them in my Operating system and not my home server drive like I have them now which would require me to keep to bloated content files.. Very big inconvenient, and interruption to my work flow  because now I will have to have a copy of ever single Very big inconvenient, and interuption to my work flow  file for ever device.  and lastly I paid for it to use as I see fit on my own rendering and work I don't trust daz to not be watching through the connect program..  no way no how

Post edited by Ivy on
  • We've trimmed this thread to remove some comments addressing posters rather than the issues. Feeling are clearly running high, please avoid commenting on each other rather than on the software.

edited October 2015
    Ivy said:
    Renpatsu said:

Edit:

Zev0 said:

By the need to have ba encryption key on all my devices and home sever to use the Daz conent produc. if I havea Sytem crash or a update..I will need to start all over. when I could have just run a shadow copy off my back up   that is a very big inconevience and interuption  that do you guys not get.

If you have a crash or an update, it is, at most, a quick log in and sync. If you have that crash this will be the least of your issues and the thing that will be resolved the quickest. 

• Zev0 said:
    Renpatsu said:
    Zev0 said:

The encryption is tied to your account. That means you cannot distribute the product. Eg like giving somebody else a copy of your game that requires a serial number that you own. This does not mean you cannot send to other apps to modify. If that was the case us content creators would not be able to make content or update a product if it was encrypted in that manner. If it is in your account and you own it, and you want to edit and modify, I see no reason why you cannot. But it won't work if distributed. That is what I understand from what I have read. So how will this stop piracy? Well, the way I see it is if you get an illegal copy of a product where the encryption doesnt match your account, Daz can pick it up and block it, or trace the encryption from the person who distributed it. So in theory, it can work as an anti piracy measure. Unfortunately piracy is out of hand, and something needs to be done. It cannot continue the way it is. All product released this week are already on warez sites and sometimes it really makes you wonder why you bother at all if it's just stolen the next day.

Zev, I love your products, but believing that all this crap will actually prevent piracy and bring in customers that were previously lost is IMHO rather naive.

It's not being naive. People like getting things for free if they don't have to pay for it, even people with the highest moral ground. How often do you hear of users waiting for discounts and refuse to buy a product at full price? Now imagine if some can get it for free off illegal sites. Think they are going to say no? On my products alone, there are more warez and torrent Downloads than purchases. Naive? Sorry. If they aren't made available for free, more would buy. This whole saying "those who torrent or DL from warez won't buy anyways" is a load of rubbish.They would buy if the free temptation didn't exist.

Zev0, I can't find any study that supports that.  Yes, people like paying lower prices, we all wait for discounts, but we don't steal.  There is a vast difference between waiting for a sale and shoplifting.  By definition, if you get something from a pirate site (or out of the trunk of someone's car), that merchandise is stolen.  The question is, if you take away the stolen route, does that translate into higher sales for any digital product which are mostly for entertainment purposes.  It hasn't tranlated into higher sales for Music, Movies, or Books, in fact there are some studies out there that point out the opposite effect - DRM reduces sales.  I can point you to some links, but they  can be easily Googled.

With digital content, the way you increase your sales is to improve the rapor with your customers.  DRM reduces it.  I understand the frustration with piracy, it frustrates me as well.  But the issue really isn't reducing piracy, the issue is increasing sales. DRM has never proven capable of doing it.  If you could get the pirates to start paying it would lower prices for all of us, I'd love to see it happen. 

As I have said in other posts, I have no problem with DAZ trying DRM as long as it does not effect my use of content I have purchased, and we are repeatedly being told they are being careful to make sure that doesn't happen.  I'm good with that.  I don't think DRM is going to increase your sales to people that were formerly stealing your work though.  If they cared they wouldn't be stealing from you.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,065
    edited October 2015
    Jan19 said:
    Zev0 said:
    Renpatsu said:
    Zev0 said:

Not always true, there.  Years ago, a friend offered to let me try a high end program, with an illegal key to "unlock" it.  I said, "no, better not."  Would I have loved to try the program?  You betcha.  But I knew better.  I am no good at being a criminal, and I doubt many others here are either.  It was just not worth the risk of getting caught, embarassed, possibly fined, etc.  Do I love a bargain?  Hells, yeah.  But I will pay what I have to for an item, if I want it bad enough.  I'd be willing to bet a good percentage of folks here feel much the same way.  If not, I'm a terrible judge of human nature. :-)  (I did end up buying the program.)

I do not go on a per person bases or experience, but the trend as a whole. Yes there are lot's of honest users, and we are grateful for that, but there are quite a bit that are not. This market is no different to any other market. You will always get honest users, and ones who aren't.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited October 2015
    Ivy said:
    Renpatsu said:

Edit:

Zev0 said:

By the need to have ba encryption key on all my devices and home sever to use the Daz conent produc. if I havea Sytem crash or a update..I will need to start all over. when I could have just run a shadow copy off my back up   that is a very big inconevience and interuption  that do you guys not get.

If you have a crash or an update, it is, at most, a quick log in and sync. If you have that crash this will be the least of your issues and the thing that will be resolved the quickest. 

I disagree I make backs up every wekk  a shadow copy is much fast than redownloading any day

Post edited by Ivy on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,406

I have to start asking. I am not being mean, or picking on you, I genuinely want to know. How does the encryption of the content challenge you? What does it prevent you from doing? 

Beside using the content in anything but DS unless you export it from DS first, you mean? ;)

Here's a basic question: can you still edit the encrypted files, or is it like some encrypted scripts I have where you can't even open it in the DS editors to see what it does and try to fix it when it doesn't work? (yes, I can understand why a content creator wouldn't want their script easily readable and thus copyable. It's still limiting in some cases)

Can you still easily edit a duf file to fix a broken path (even if you have to do use the editor in DS for that)? Or do you have to wait for DAZ to issue an update?

Can you still copy a material file and batch replace all references to a texture file to create a MAT for a modified texture without having to go to the surface tab to apply the textures by hand and then save a preset?

edited October 2015
    Ivy said:
    Ivy said:
    Renpatsu said:

Edit:

Zev0 said:

I disagree I make backs up every wekk  a shadow copy is much fast than redownloading any day

And you can still make backups. 

edited October 2015

Similar to Syndaryl, I do heavy scripting/programing that directly modifies duf/dsf files and where the DAZ Studio internal tools are just inadequate. And no, there is no way that scripts or API driven plugin running inside Studio can be as efficient, even if e.g. the API would be properly documented, which it isn't. So basically you throw a block into my path and say "deal with it, do it our way" and I will likely say "thanks, but no thanks".

That is on top of the other aggrevating issues I have with this update and its implied paths, like force feeding Meta Data in the future once this connect is the sole way of getting content. If I cannot see myself working with this in the future I might as well head out. I am getting really miffed over all this. Should I just stop buying anything here right now to show you how much?

Leana said:

I have to start asking. I am not being mean, or picking on you, I genuinely want to know. How does the encryption of the content challenge you? What does it prevent you from doing? 

Beside using the content in anything but DS unless you export it from DS first, you mean? ;)

Here's a basic question: can you still edit the encrypted files, or is it like some encrypted scripts I have where you can't even open it in the DS editors to see what it does and try to fix it when it doesn't work? (yes, I can understand why a content creator wouldn't want their script easily readable and thus copyable. It's still limiting in some cases)

Can you still easily edit a duf file to fix a broken path (even if you have to do use the editor in DS for that)? Or do you have to wait for DAZ to issue an update?

Can you still copy a material file and batch replace all references to a texture file to create a MAT for a modified texture without having to go to the surface tab to apply the textures by hand and then save a preset?

What do you intend to use it in? In all but two cases (Carrara and DSON for Poser) you have to export from DS before you can use it in something else. The current answer for both of those cases is keep using DIM at this time. So except for those cases your workflow is unaffected. 

No you can not edit encrypted files.

We can push fixes faster. 

You can save a new preset. 

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited October 2015
    Leana said:

That's being talked about more or less in the last couple of pages of the main thread...and the simple answer is No.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

No such thing as unhackable or unbreakable

Old Proverb A secret can be kept by two people as long as one of them is dead

what if the other has turrets and a bull horn?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,609

Will DAZ Connect content be reduced in price from non-drm controlled and protected content?

Will DAZ Connect content be reduced in price from non-drm controlled and protected content?

Very good point, would love to hear on that, too.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited October 2015
    ghosty12 said:

People have been predicting the doom of Daz for years now. I find smart content and DIM extremely easy to use and works great for workflow. I'm sorry not everyone agrees.

The 'challenge' of the digital experience will only be for people who curate a very particular directory structure and refuse to ever have to be online, ever, to unlock the newest content (whenever that happens). For the vast majority of users, that is utterly transparent.

It's unfortunate when progress leaves people behind, but for those willing to move with it, the benefits are great.

It's also unfortunate that people seem to think that screaming at and castigating Daz as wicked people up to no good is appropriate dialog, and I'm really debating taking a protracted vacation from this forum.

I know what you mean, the ranting on these forums is starting to get old and fast and even I am thinking of taking a vacation from this forum..

On other things:

At first I was a bit shocked by these changes but then after thinking long and hard and with a level head I realized that sooner or later Daz had to do something to try and stem the flow of content being swiped and posted elsewhere..  I mean when you look at it people hate when they get their house broken into, their car being stolen and so on you get right peeved about it and after it happens you put an alarm system in your house and car to try and stop it from happening again..

I am a hobby artist who has done some work for a small website, and over the years I have see some of its premium content being posted on other sites for all to see, and that means loss of revenue for such a small site that relies on people paying to see it..

And well people will not pay for it if they can get it elsewhere for free, so is the same with content here the only way Daz can recover the costs of supplying Daz Studio for free and via the store content, and some folks may want to see how much it costs for a 3Delight license it is not cheap and I can only imagine how much Daz pays Nvidia for the use of Iray in Studio..

In the end is seeing something like this happen with Studio 4.9 and into the future in the first place, no it isn't but while you have the undesireables posting paid content out on the Dark Web for all to download things like what is coming with Studio 4.9 will continue..

Its on the Dark Web too? I thought it was just availble through torrents?

dclane said:

Me, I love DIM and I think Daz Connect sounds awesome. So hey.

I think we'll all lose out in the end, whether or not we're on board with the idea of Daz Connect. The hackers are always up for the next challenge, but the average consumer doesn't want to be challenged by their digital experiences, they want ease of use, control and flexibility, and will just stop buying if these aren't a factor. The PAs will be the first to be affected by the resulting drop in revenue, and will eventually vote with their feet by going off to sell elsewhere or finding something more profitable to do.

No content management system is going to be much fun once there's hardly any new content for it to manage, even if it works for you.

The people that Daz Connect is aimed at losing were never going to put their hands in their pockets anyway. Irritating the people who do spend money here will just prompt them to stop doing so and we'll lose the PAs when they do. Bad news all round.

The encrytion of content doesn't challenge me unless it starts getting in the way of what I am trying to use legitimately purchaced content for.  By the descriptions staff have given, I don't think that is going to happen which is why I am not jumping up and down and turning red.  The problem is I also do not believe it is going to help your piracy problem any, and in no way is it going to increase your sales; the non-customers are going to stay non-customers.  The question is, at that point, does management see that DRM is not helpful, or decide that they need further restrictions to make it work.  And I think THAT is what is casuing all the angst.

Not what you are proposing now, but what that path will lead to in the future.  From other companies that have gone the DRM route, it usually isn't pretty.  Sony went so far as root-kitting computers to attempt to stop piracy.

I really need to be able to put stuff where I can find it, if I had started out when smart content was finally working I could probably use it - but I have years and years of stuff I have meticulously put where I can find it, and I don't have time to set it all up as metadata in a database.  Again, you have covered that aspect of it, and I am aware you guys understand that, so I'll drop it.

My bottom line is that DRM never has turned pirates into customers, I'd love to see an industry study anywhere that shows it has.

"And I think THAT is what is casuing all the angst." - I've highlighted it above to show which part it's from.

Yeh, this bit is what worries me. What happens when all this doesn't do what is expected.

I'm kind of hoping I like the new system; as much as I like how my content is organised, it could be better. I don't like the smart content as it is now, and don't have much time to figure the new system out, but I'll try; I want to know if I'm on board before I spend more cash.

Zev0 said:
    Renpatsu said:
    Zev0 said:

Zev0, I can't find any study that supports that.  Yes, people like paying lower prices, we all wait for discounts, but we don't steal.  There is a vast difference between waiting for a sale and shoplifting.  By definition, if you get something from a pirate site (or out of the trunk of someone's car), that merchandise is stolen.  The question is, if you take away the stolen route, does that translate into higher sales for any digital product which are mostly for entertainment purposes.  It hasn't tranlated into higher sales for Music, Movies, or Books, in fact there are some studies out there that point out the opposite effect - DRM reduces sales.  I can point you to some links, but they  can be easily Googled.

With digital content, the way you increase your sales is to improve the rapor with your customers.  DRM reduces it.  I understand the frustration with piracy, it frustrates me as well.  But the issue really isn't reducing piracy, the issue is increasing sales. DRM has never proven capable of doing it.  If you could get the pirates to start paying it would lower prices for all of us, I'd love to see it happen. 

As I have said in other posts, I have no problem with DAZ trying DRM as long as it does not effect my use of content I have purchased, and we are repeatedly being told they are being careful to make sure that doesn't happen.  I'm good with that.  I don't think DRM is going to increase your sales to people that were formerly stealing your work though.  If they cared they wouldn't be stealing from you.

Sadly, at least one person must purchase the product for it to by piratted; alternatively it is a Daz employee, neither of which is a pleasant thing to contemplate.

So while there are studdies that show DRM impacts negatively on sales, trying to stop theft is a legimate part of any person's or organisations purpose, and one has to accept folks will try various methods.

Personally I feel this could have been rolled out in a different way. The wording could have be done differently, but that's a water and bridge issue.

Ivy said:
    Ivy said:
    Renpatsu said:

Edit:

Zev0 said:

"I disagree I make backs up every wekk  a shadow copy is much fast than redownloading any day" is part of the above quote, but wont show it is for some reason.

I too don't want to have to log on to server after recovering from a backup; this is one aspect that Daz seems to have trouble understanding.

Yes I know it's easy to do; except when it isn't (for whatever reason).

Post edited by nicstt on
  • CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167
    dclane said:

Me, I love DIM and I think Daz Connect sounds awesome. So hey.

I think we'll all lose out in the end, whether or not we're on board with the idea of Daz Connect. The hackers are always up for the next challenge, but the average consumer doesn't want to be challenged by their digital experiences, they want ease of use, control and flexibility, and will just stop buying if these aren't a factor. The PAs will be the first to be affected by the resulting drop in revenue, and will eventually vote with their feet by going off to sell elsewhere or finding something more profitable to do.

No content management system is going to be much fun once there's hardly any new content for it to manage, even if it works for you.

The people that Daz Connect is aimed at losing were never going to put their hands in their pockets anyway. Irritating the people who do spend money here will just prompt them to stop doing so and we'll lose the PAs when they do. Bad news all round.

Okay, one specific scenario where I have created modified versions of files that will be encrypted is boots. I wanted to add translucency to a pair of G3F's boots - specifically dx30's 'High Boots 5' - only to discover that they had been created as geografts, so there were no legs to show through the translucency. So what I did was modify copies of the assets to remove the geograft. Yes, I could have exported as an object file, reimported and rerigged them, but I guess I'm old school too in that I like hacking text scripts ...

Renpatsu said:

Similar to Syndaryl, I do heavy scripting/programing that directly modifies duf/dsf files and where the DAZ Studio internal tools are just inadequate. And no, there is no way that scripts or API driven plugin running inside Studio can be as efficient, even if e.g. the API would be properly documented, which it isn't. So basically you throw a block into my path and say "deal with it, do it our way" and I will likely say "thanks, but no thanks".

That is on top of the other aggrevating issues I have with this update and its implied paths, like force feeding Meta Data in the future once this connect is the sole way of getting content. If I cannot see myself working with this in the future I might as well head out. I am getting really miffed over all this. Should I just stop buying anything here right now to show you how much?

The API exists and has been extended, you do not have to access the text to do things. 

edited October 2015
    Renpatsu said:

The API exists and has been extended, you do not have to access the text to do things. 

I did not say that the API did not exist, pretty sure it does. I am saying it is not fit for the job with the same efficiency, which is natural if you have the overhead DAZ Studio by itself causes. Again, you are affecting my usability of the content and you are trying to force customers the way you think is best - I do not like it.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited October 2015

I guess I'll be the one to ask it...has the documentation been extended as well?

That's actually one of the main reasons I went the route of hacking the files directly, because the documentation on how to do it in other ways was, for want of a better description, crap.  It was MUCH easier to do it directly.

And there are probably more of us around that DO go the direct text editing route than you know about.  Because we do know how to do it this way we don't run to CS and log complaints...we just do it and go on.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    mjc1016 said:

I guess I'll be the one to ask it...has the documentation been extended as well?

That's actually one of the main reasons I went the route of hacking the files directly, because the documentation on how to do it in other ways was, for want of a better description, crap.  It was MUCH easier to do it directly.

And there are probably more of us around that DO go the direct text editing route than you know about.  Because we do know how to do it this way we don't run to CS and log complaints...we just do it and go on.

Some, more on the way. Ask about things in the Dev forum is how you can get answers before the docs more complete. 

Renpatsu said:
    Renpatsu said:

I did not say that the API did not exist, pretty sure it does. I am saying it is not fit for the job with the same efficiency, which is natural if you have the overhead DAZ Studio by itself causes. Again, you are affecting my usability of the content and you are trying to force customers the way you think is best - I do not like it.

You have tried it? 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,406

What do you intend to use it in? In all but two cases (Carrara and DSON for Poser) you have to export from DS before you can use it in something else. The current answer for both of those cases is keep using DIM at this time. So except for those cases your workflow is unaffected. 

Carrara and Poser were exactly the cases I was thinking of.

We can push fixes faster. 

You can probably push fixes faster with this than with DIM, indeed, since you can do partial updates. But instead of being able to fix my broken file in a few minutes with a text editor I will have to wait till the problem is reported to DAZ, they notice the bug report and fix the files, the new version goes through QA, and the fix is made available so I can redownload it,

Which can take days, during which I won't be able to use the product I bought, when I could have within a few minutes before.

You can save a new preset. 

I can save a new preset after using the surface tab, yes, but once again it will take way more time. And I'd have to do it one texture at a time.

Renpatsu said:
    Renpatsu said:

You have tried it? 

I do not have to try it to see that DAZ Studio requires resources on its own and of course every call would be routed through DAZ Studio (which is overhead compared to my current doings). Plus I would have to rebuild every tool I wrote and it would restrict the choice of developer resources I can use for that. Also, don't get me started on the slowness of DAZ script. There is a reason why some people prefer to use e.g. perl scripts that are destined to do just the thing you need. And, yeah, documentation is almost non-existant on top and, please, don't say "ask in dev forum".

You are desperately trying to convince customers, I get it. The way how things are handled in this update is just not bearable for me. You may do things exactly how you designed DAZ Studio to be now, but that doesn't necessairly overlap with how I do things.

To sum up, if you ask some of your customers to change a large part of their workflows completely, then it is just easier for them to walk away and let it go. There is only so much you can ask for.

Renpatsu said:
    Renpatsu said:
    Renpatsu said:

You have tried it? 

I do not have to try it to see that DAZ Studio requires resources on its own and of course every call would be routed through DAZ Studio (which is overhead compared to my current doings). Plus I would have to rebuild every tool I wrote and it would restrict the choice of developer resources I can use for that. Also, don't get me started on the slowness of DAZ script. There is a reason why some people prefer to use e.g. perl scripts that are destined to do just the thing you need. And, yeah, documentation is almost non-existant on top and, please, don't say "ask in dev forum".

You are desperately trying to convince customers, I get it. The way how things are handled in this update is just not bearable for me. You may do things exactly how you designed DAZ Studio to be now, but that doesn't necessairly overlap with how I do things.

To sum up, if you ask some of your customers to change a large part of their workflows completely, then it is just easier for them to walk away and let it go. There is only so much you can ask for.

So you are just assuming. OK. When you have tried it get back to me.

Renpatsu said:
    Renpatsu said:
    Renpatsu said:

You have tried it? 

So you are just assuming. OK. When you have tried it get back to me.

It is common sense. The marketing term "Try it!" doesn't cut it here.

This discussion has been closed.