virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

every time i hear the 20th century fox logo music, i'm ready to see C3PO and R2 dashing across the hall with the blaster fire flying.  some of my favorite scifi music is from Lexx, the moths and Lexx have their own theme music when they're moving.  Brunnen-G song.

Trying to get all the major scene sets put together. thinking, settling on a lighting style should give cohesion to the sets.
    back up copies in case something gets corrupted.

i'm so excited, to actually see it coming to life.  have to remember to get some sleep. lol
    need to pick up some egg nog, helps to calm down a little.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 2015

Listened to an interview of John Williams while on the road.  He did the music for Star Wars (and countless others).  According to him, George Lucas decided that the music for the original Star Wars should be themed for each character, almost like an opera.  Thus, there is a Princess Leia theme, a Darth Vader theme, etc., etc., etc.  Apparently, the concept was preserved for the nelwly released Ep. VII. So Williams wrote new theme music for the newly introduced characters.  I don't know enough about either movies or opera to know the difference, but an interesting interview.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • Not just Star Wars..Gone with the Wind had a Melanie theme, Ashley theme, Rhet Butler theme, and of course Tara theme... Not sure when it started in movies,,,but very effective. Of course this was done in the radio plays also ..probably going back to the 1920's. Painting with music brings out the emotion faster than visuals..  I wish I knew more about it.... I just know what I like when I hear it. 

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    MistyMist said:

and what is the primitives made of?  
    primitives need converting to vertex, eh?

I'll just pop in for a sec and toss my nickle in. Vertex models represent shape by mathamatical representations of lines and points that form a face when 3 or 4 points are connected. join 6 square faces and you get a cube. You can't make a true sphere with faces.

Primitives are basic shapes represented by geometric expressions alone, not polygons. Thus, a primitive sphere is a 'true' sphere, as it is defined by math. not surface poly's. to define a sphere, you really need only define it's radius, say <0, 0, 0> <0, 0, 1> defines a sphere with a diameter 2 units wide in x, y, z coordinates. 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

@ Madbat: Nice explanation! 

@ diomede and msteaka: Yes. The reasoning is to help the audience "know" where they are and who'se involved without visual aid. This is why certain Arabian themed music reminds us of deserts - because cinema and TV have told us that's where we are. When the percussion kicks in and speeds up with thrilling flute twirls and building violins, we know that we're being chased, etc., It works really well, which is why music and sound can totally make or break a video production.

aahhh all this time. seriously, all i had to do was check 'max window mode'  lol  

gettin a weird message. 'texture limit reduced'

scap max window mode.JPG
    362 x 316 - 29K
    scap texturelimit.JPG
    747 x 466 - 107K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I think Carrara has a limit on the size/amount of textures it uses in the assemble room's textured Preview. It's nothing to worry about, just means that the preview is using lower res textures to fit more in. I get that message a lot.

It doesn't affect final renders.

• As Tango Alpha said. The texture limit has to do with the Assembly room view, since by default it uses OpenGL and your graphics card for the display. Basically you have a lot of textures in your scene that the graphics card is trying to load, and the display resolution needs to be turned down to load them all in textured view. You may get more textures at a higher displayed resolution if you have more RAM in your video card.
    edited December 2015

FYI on that subject: I personally never go over 512 x 512 in Open GL. Works fine too.

InteractiveRender.jpg
    800 x 653 - 402K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Also, try to OFTEN go to: 

Edit > Remove Unused Masters > Consolidate Duplicate Shaders

Edit > Remove Unused Masters > Remove Unused Objects

Edit > Remove Unused Masters > Remove Unused Shaders

It really makes a difference to help keep your working view more responsive than if this is ignored.

ah.  thanks.  i was messing with the ipr settings.  turned off reflection. set to scene lights.

Madbat said:
    MistyMist said:

and what is the primitives made of?  
    primitives need converting to vertex, eh?

I'll just pop in for a sec and toss my nickle in. Vertex models represent shape by mathamatical representations of lines and points that form a face when 3 or 4 points are connected. join 6 square faces and you get a cube. You can't make a true sphere with faces.

Primitives are basic shapes represented by geometric expressions alone, not polygons. Thus, a primitive sphere is a 'true' sphere, as it is defined by math. not surface poly's. to define a sphere, you really need only define it's radius, say <0, 0, 0> <0, 0, 1> defines a sphere with a diameter 2 units wide in x, y, z coordinates. 

Thanks. the idea of true curves is kewl!

edited December 2015

thinkin how'd they do that?  looking through the animation presets. rendered chainphysics.  looks like each ring is a spline object. 1 directional force

aww, animated gifs don't work as attachment?

put it on my da

Chains1.gif
    200 x 183 - 1M
    Post edited by Mistara on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Download this file and play with it : http://mhdproductions.be/Carrarators/ChainPhysics5.zip

this one started with the wave-caustics preset.

playing around to try and make the caustic lights ripple.  changed the bump amplitude in a few keyframes, rotated, scaled.

ahzo.  SPLAT primitive always faces the camera.  thinkin SPLAT could be useful

• A slow lingering pan down Gianni 6's torso to just below the belly button may do it for some, stopping just before it gets too hot for youtube then slamming on the title scene with a banana and couple of plums maybe?

edited December 2015

A slow lingering pan down Gianni 6's torso to just below the belly button may do it for some, stopping just before it gets too hot for youtube then slamming on the title scene with a banana and couple of plums maybe?

plum hammock?  tee hee

the slow down near the end is almost painful to watch.  needs a spectacular sunrise with motion clouds 
    Love remover machine, she sells sanctuary

text is a primitive, does that mean it can't explode in particle physics?

i'd like to put like the lylynymph dress on power pixie as a dynamic cloth dress, scene also needs a dragon, a drake, a mermaid, and a gremlin.

i'm vague on how to segway between camera shots. fade to brown or just jump to the next angle?  

• You can use modifiers and deformers on text. If you network render you will want to convert text to a vertex model first, otherwise you will get weirdness if the font you are using is not on the node computer. Even if the same font is on the host and node computer you can still have problems.

thinkin, if a human casually strolls 3 mph, need like a posable measuring stick that folds at 1ft mark, then i'll know where to keyframe target's position. curves are another problem.  

can't see how to make speed bumps on motion paths. he needs to pause when he does his lil turn on the catwalk.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

This is where NLA comes in.

You'd create a walk loop ,. (one full step which can be repeated). 

You save that as an NLA Master clip.

This NLA clip can be added to the NLA Track for your model,. the NLA options allow you to "Loop" that clip as many times as you want.

you now have a walking figure.

Create a new keyframe animation for the "Turn" , then repeat the process above to create another NLA master clip.

NLA clips can be saved to your Browser,. / Clips, and reused in other scenes.

can i somehow put like a hot point in the center of a group of props, so i can rotate the whole group?

trying to come up with a workflow for measuing off footsteps.  and light fall.

in r/l how far does light from a 100 watt bulb go? what would the r/l life fall off be?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

You can add a target helper object,. then Parent the Group of props to hat,. then you can rortate the Helper object, rather than the group.

You could guestimate the light from a light bulb , but it depends on whether it's in a fitting / shade, or exposed, and also the type of light, EG: halogen, LED

You can use IES files in lights in Carrara. ..IES files are free to download from manufacturers of lights, such as philips, general electric,

these provide the specifications of light intensity and falloff for different lighting types. or different lighting products

Yes. 3dage taught me years ago a really nice trick:

Your figures come in at 0,0,0 xyz position under their feet, right?

So with their walk cycle in motion, looping away, we bring them away from the center as far as we want the radius of the turn to be.

Now go Insert (scroll to the bottom of the list) > Target Helper Object.

Now take your walking figure(s) from the tray on the right, and drag them onto (parent them to) the Target Helper Object.

Now as you rotate the Target Helper, your figures rotate.

It's a great way to get almost anything rotated around a center.

Hmmm... I can't find it now. mmoir had a nice video tutorial series on creating walk cycles by hand, and he uses a little marker object (Primitive cube scaled down to like a board of wood shape) and duplicates it out and plces them as markers for where the foot should come down and stay until it lifts again.

I use the grid markers in Carrara.

There are many conveniences in Carrara to help us to animate by hand. ;)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 2015
    3DAGE said:

This is where NLA comes in.

You'd create a walk loop ,. (one full step which can be repeated). 

You save that as an NLA Master clip.

This NLA clip can be added to the NLA Track for your model,. the NLA options allow you to "Loop" that clip as many times as you want.

you now have a walking figure.

Create a new keyframe animation for the "Turn" , then repeat the process above to create another NLA master clip.

NLA clips can be saved to your Browser,. / Clips, and reused in other scenes.

When creating a walking loop, you'll also need an offset, which is usually the hip for a humanoid figure.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • Hmmm... I can't find it now. mmoir had a nice video tutorial series on creating walk cycles by hand, and he uses a little marker object (Primitive cube scaled down to like a board of wood shape) and duplicates it out and plces them as markers for where the foot should come down and stay until it lifts again.

And if you use US measurements, the medium scene grid is already set to 1 foot!

Hmmm... I can't find it now. mmoir had a nice video tutorial series on creating walk cycles by hand, and he uses a little marker object (Primitive cube scaled down to like a board of wood shape) and duplicates it out and plces them as markers for where the foot should come down and stay until it lifts again.

And if you use US measurements, the medium scene grid is already set to 1 foot!

...and can be changed to an custom measurement! ;)

edited December 2015

Thank you!! smiley

is it possible to copy the x,y,z translate numbers from targethelper at same time and paste to obj with one paste click?

i been doing one at a time.

thinkin, havent tried m4's displacement maps in carrara yet.  (have the python script to apply it in poser.)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 2015
    MistyMist said:

Thank you!! smiley

is it possible to copy the x,y,z translate numbers from targethelper at same time and paste to obj with one paste click?

i been doing one at a time.

Doubt it. I think there is a send-to command, but I haven't felt the need to use it yet, so I'm not that familiar with how it works.

Post edited by evilproducer on