virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    MistyMist said:

an emerging from the secret lake wet hair look 

weight to strand hair?

I'll have to go back and look at the settings for this scene, but I think I got a nice wet hair look on the woman in the river. The hair is actually the sample pony tail hair that comes with Carrara's native content.

I also think I got a nice wet fabric look on the bikini.

cliff jumping.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 327K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    wgdjohn said:

here is my penny [clink] Hello Phil, MistyMist, EvilProducer, Chickenman and all... I think I've got a start for the render contest this month... still needs a lot of work... go take a peek :)

I'll go take a peek. Sorry I haven't been around much. I was directing a play, and when that was done, I had a major editing and animation project to complete. I'm done with it now, but now the stuff I put off to do those two things are screaming for my attention...

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Got things screaming for my attention also. Just posted a near final for the Carrara render contest.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    wgdjohn said:

here is my penny [clink] Hello Phil, MistyMist, EvilProducer, Chickenman and all... I think I've got a start for the render contest this month... still needs a lot of work... go take a peek :)

I'll go take a peek. Sorry I haven't been around much. I was directing a play, and when that was done, I had a major editing and animation project to complete. I'm done with it now, but now the stuff I put off to do those two things are screaming for my attention...

wgdjohn said:

Got things screaming for my attention also. Just posted a near final for the Carrara render contest.

Me too. I only get few tidbits of time once in a while to come in for a peek. That WIP page for that contest is looking Fantastic!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

having a lil trouble reaching carrara cafe tutorials.  floating tutorials covering links underneath

is there another way to find tutorial index?

thanks!

if i had 24 cores, would i be able to use lush sets in animation?
    if it takes 4 cores 200 hours to render a frame, would 24 cores render in 10 hours
    do 24 core pcs roam like mustangs, mebbe i can capture one from the wild

mebbe something like this in a secret lake scene,

the part where she's standing in the water

is the rocking chair from native content, chair is poking through gridplane. adjusted settings all day.  uber tesselated.  tired.

cloth-coll1.png
    1053 x 800 - 599K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    MistyMist said:

if i had 24 cores, would i be able to use lush sets in animation?
    if it takes 4 cores 200 hours to render a frame, would 24 cores render in 10 hours
    do 24 core pcs roam like mustangs, mebbe i can capture one from the wild

If you are thinking in terms of animation, you should be aiming for no more than maybe 5 mins per frame - even at that it takes 2 hours per second of animation at 24 fps. More cores will help, but you might have to compromise on lighting and render quality to get the time down. You can use tricks like render the background once and either use that as a backdrop to your action, or composite it in later (provided the camera is static). I find the speed I get from Octane Render for Carrara to be amazing if you can stretch to that.

MistyMist said:

is the rocking chair from native content, chair is poking through gridplane. adjusted settings all day.  uber tesselated.  tired.

Have you tried increasing the collision distance? I think would fix it.

PhilW said:
    MistyMist said:

Have you tried increasing the collision distance? I think would fix it.

tried like quarter percent increments on the sliders.  gave it more frames to settle, went up to 220 frames.
    it doesnt settle into the seat, it like bubbles over it.
    cant imagine it needs more tessellation.
    tried it on a goblet, doesnt seem to want to sink into concaves

is there a difference between vertex model and an obj model brought in from poser runtime?
    imagining "yes" since it needs to convert from model room.
    am i contaminating softbody cloth experiments using poser props?

what is a duf mesh?

if a sphere primitive is true curves, why cant they make dyn hair primitive strands true curves

and then splines ...

edited April 2016
    MistyMist said:

is there a difference between vertex model and an obj model brought in from poser runtime?
    imagining "yes" since it needs to convert from model room.
    am i contaminating softbody cloth experiments using poser props?

what is a duf mesh?

if a sphere primitive is true curves, why cant they make dyn hair primitive strands true curves

and then splines ...

Both OBJ and DUF are file formats - both capable of delivering vertex objects from one application to another. OBJ is more compatible with many other apps, while DUF can be much more than just a means of delivering a mesh.

When we load in a Poser figure (from a runtime), the usual means of doing so is by loading either a CR2 file or a PP2 file, both of which are file formats which usually access an OBJ file from within the Geometry folder within the runtime, but also grabs textures, morphs, rigging and/or whatever else the item has been saved to load in with. So calling a Carrara Vertex Object an OBJ or a CR2 or a PP2 or a DUF is not speaking correctly even though most Carrara users will understand the context of what you're trying to say. 

As far as I know, the OBJ format is only really set up to deliver a 3D mesh along with having the ability to also acknowledge and link up with an included MTL (materials) file, if one is present. It's pretty flexible for doing so, but it still only delivers a mesh - no morphs or rigging information can be included. I  might be incorrect, but I don't think so. But my point is that, calling an OBJ file a Vertex Object will almost always be a true and correct statement and most often shouldn't require a conversion to get one into the Vertex Modeler within Carrara. So it's okay to call an OBJ a vertex object (simply because Vertex Object is Carrara terminology for 3D polygonal mesh) but a Carrara Vertex Object won't become an OBJ until it is exported as an OBJ, if that helps.

==================================================

I'm not sure where you're going with trying to compare a primitive sphere's curves with curve of Carrara's dynamic hair, but there's actually nothing in common between the two except that they can both be worked on within Carrara. Carrara's dynamic hair is actually a special form of shader made to behave like a strand against physics and collision settings. Part of its magic happens as if it is an actual mesh. This we control in the tool tray as well as its own Model Room extension - but it's not actually a model, or at least this is how I've been made to understand it - even though I don't really understand it.

The other part is within its Shader window and these controls don't pay any attention to collisions or physics. So even if we set up the strands to collide with the controller mesh in a certain way, our settings in the Texture Room can cause the hair to look like it's not colliding correctly. If we're using large Texture Room curls or waves that cause the hair to pass into the underlying mesh, we can try to correct this by adding a higher collision distance on the Model Room end of things. 

If we convert a primitive sphere to a vertex modeler object we'll see that we have a LOT of polygons, and those polygons are split into triangles throughout the mesh. I mention this because this is how it gets its curve - just like any other mesh object that has to form a curve. To create smoother and smoother curves we need to use more and smaller polygons in an attempt to create an illusion that it's a curve instead of a bunch of straight lines, which is what it truly is. So this is why SubD has become so important. We can ask the software to treat the mesh as if it was made up of many, many, many more (and much smaller) polygons than what are actually modeled into the mesh, and then smoothed accordingly.

Anyways, we have controls within the hair 'modeling' system within Carrara by increasing the number of segments within each strand. If this segment count is increased after the hair was already created it might not actually make a visible difference until we use the tool that evens out the segments. Jon Stark has a great tutorial series on YouTube explaining all of this much better, but it works exactly the same way: to get a smoother curve, use more pieces. 

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    Suspense.jpg
    319 x 690 - 326K

Once a mesh is in Carrara, there is really no difference whether you made it yourself in the vertex room, whether it was a Poser model or you imported from an OBJ file. How it got there may differ, but once there, it is just a mesh, and can be saved or exported to many different formats too.

i'd be happy to take a look at your scene file if you want to send me a link?

Thanks. am i allowed to attach the cloth test file with the rocking chair?.  

there's a global collision margin surprise  override global collision margin - major major difference.

there's a big difference between 0 bend and .1 bend.

still seeing pokethrough. >.<  don't know how to adjust for it.  almost happy with the cloth sim, 

sims are at 60fps, enjoying the fluid look of it.

dunno which settings outside of the actual soft body tab have anything to do with cloth simulation.  did find messing with material setting can make the vertex obj dissappear never to be found again..  

oh, how did those truffles get in there cheeky

verts-529.JPG
    1039 x 723 - 129K
    bounce point1 test.JPG
    277 x 638 - 41K
    verts collision softbody2.JPG
    293 x 572 - 39K
    verts collision softbody.JPG
    978 x 554 - 96K
    gThePretty20160405.JPG
    640 x 282 - 40K

tryin to isolate what the volume:pressure does. >.< is ellusive

The volume pressure is really only useful if you have a closed shape such as a pillow, it will control how "inflated" the shape is, low pressure deforms more easily.

edited April 2016
    PhilW said:

The volume pressure is really only useful if you have a closed shape such as a pillow, it will control how "inflated" the shape is, low pressure deforms more easily.

ohhh.  thanks.  sounds fun.  pillow fight? 

poke through happening on the chair arms and taurus.  is it collisions against curves mebbe, causing the difficulties?

Post edited by Mistara on
    MistyMist said:

dunno which settings outside of the actual soft body tab have anything to do with cloth simulation.  did find messing with material setting can make the vertex obj dissappear never to be found again..  

With an item selected, go into the Effects tab and set up its physical properties. 

Yeah, I'm liking the fluid look of it too! Thanks for sharing! Inspires me to try using that for all kinds of different effects. One thing I've been wrapping my head around lately is to render things all by themselves with an alpha channel excluding everything else, for use as VFX in composite software. I'll be experimenting with Fusion and HitFilm, but Carrara can composite really nicely as well, which is how I've been experimenting with making composites prior to now, which is a period when I was convinced that I could do all of my movie needs directly within Carrara - the exception be sound and the final post production of cutting everything together... Vegas work. 

Wow did I ever stray from the subject, eh? Sorry!

I must say that I really enjoy this thread! You are quite the entertainer, Misty! Love it! So inspired and imaginative... a breath of frsh air with animation built in... Awesome!

Thanks!

oh, how did those truffles get in there cheeky

Speaking of thanking you... I just assumed that you were sharing, so I accidentally ate one... or so...

Thanks Again! angel

TrufflesYumGone.jpg
    640 x 282 - 139K
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

I'd better grab one before Dart eats them all

Mmm, truffles...

VFX done in Howler! ;)

wgdjohn said:

tee hee  LLoLL  

no worries, godiva sends fresh truffles to my inbox 

PhilW said:

Mmm, truffles...

wgdjohn said:

My turn... enjoy!

doh

had an idea to nudge down the rocking chair Z scale after the simulation to clear the poke through.

in motion tab, i click Uniform to uncheck it, move to the z button and Uniform rechecks itself. 

MistyMist said:

doh

had an idea to nudge down the rocking chair Z scale after the simulation to clear the poke through.

in motion tab, i click Uniform to uncheck it, move to the z button and Uniform rechecks itself. 

Up a little higher, where there's a drop-down next to Constraints, change it from "Full" to "none" ;)

Thanks! smiley

back to some experiments.

experimented if the ""cloth"" would snag on the chair if it moved, it continued it's semi graceful dance with gravity.

tried parenting the vertex obj to see if it would move with the chair.  it doesn't.
    results were the same as above gif.

applied parenting at frame 30 to see if it would keyframe.  it doesn't,
    it applied to whole timeline.

next experiment ... wonder how it collides with hair 

Under the Effects tab for each object, you will find settings for Density, Bounce and Friction - you could try setting the Friction setting to maximum, maybe reduce bounce and maybe reduce Density on the cloth or increase on the chair (not sure if the latter settings will help, but worth a try). You could be running into the same issues that people had with trying to get clothing to work - cloth does not collide well with moving objects.  I spent countless hours trying to get good cloth sim with Carrara's soft body, but now with the new VWD plugin, it just works, maybe at a cost, but well worth it for me!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Also, you can use attach as an effect for softbody objects.  So, if you attach part of the blanket to the chair, it could help it stay on.  The other advice is that softbody works much better when it only collides with ther softbody objects.  You might create a softbody attach shell for the chair and then turn off collisions for the chair itself.  Then the blanket will only collide with the softbody shell of the chair, and it may work better for when the chair is moving.