virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

was clearing my drafts, had one for the vamonosed thread, indecision

playing skyrim inspired another go at terrains.
    the presets have a plane disecting by quarters, i think is a fog/haze plane, dont see how to get rid of it?  is prolly staring right at me 

a 360º  mountain terraun, empty in the middle, would be nice.  drop just an infinite plane or ocean primitive.

replicate mountains on rings mebbe?  could swivel them around

enlightened could do that for housing developements in a biodome space station, swivel the houses on rotating rings 

space station houses could be like lost in space jupiter2 ships.  need to pack up and move, e z p z 
    could imagine the brochures lol

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Mistara, you can edit the terrain using some tools right in the Terrain Modeler to paint a flat area with a ring of mountains. You can also export the height map to a 2D editor and paint a flat area in the center (or whatever you want) and import the edited map.

terrain_screen_grab.jpg
    911 x 800 - 60K

Mistara, you can edit the terrain using some tools right in the Terrain Modeler to paint a flat area with a ring of mountains. You can also export the height map to a 2D editor and paint a flat area in the center (or whatever you want) and import the edited map.

Ty smiley

playing with merlin's nepal, need some himalayan mountains around the place

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

...and Head Wax just offered a link to a Freebie Software which helps us to add roads to height maps!

Before

After

i googled and binged  carrarActor just to see.  lol  found my mittens.

and brought up a link to the thread gone to the tomb of deady threadies, but of course, google link leads to 404 page

don't havta bake in a 2nd skin bikini ?  should be able to make a layer for it in the shader tree?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

you have something in your inbox BTW

easy to miss on this forum

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited May 2017
    Mistara said:

and brought up a link to the thread gone to the tomb of deady threadies, but of course, google link leads to 404 page

Use cache! I got last page..brought back memories.  winkS

Post edited by SileneUK on

wondering if a  .cbr file could have secret abilities,

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

If so... you will likely find them. :)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited May 2017
    Mistara said:

i recently discovered my ipad will make pdfs of thread pages very quickly - one page at a time then you can join them up

either that or there is wayback machine but that takes longer

pity the forum runners don't realise what is good for Carrara users is also good for daz - it's almost like they feel glee in supressing Carrara,

Post edited by Headwax on

the unglee club ?  

deepsigh

i dont understand normal maps.  seems just like a bump map but with cyan instead of grayscale

edited May 2017
    Mistara said:

i dont understand normal maps.  seems just like a bump map but with cyan instead of grayscale

They are very very useful and for figures and their skins or clothing give better contouring and textures.  This is a Unity site below, but the concepts are the same. I use CrazyBump to create my normals which they do by loading in a photograph of the texture map. Crazybump allows tweaking.  I paid for a student licence.... there may be cheaper or free programmes out there, but I don't know of them. Perhaps someone else can. But I love normals and won't go back to regular bump effects from gray-scale height map images. Better lighting results.  JMHO.   yes Silene

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StandardShaderMaterialParameterNormalMap.html

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    Mistara said:

While bump maps represent the height at each point, a normal map represents the slope at each point, so whether the surface is flat or sloping in "north, south, east or west" direction and by how much. They should always be applied at 100%, and in that way they are not as flexible as bump maps. They both have their uses.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Also, normal maps can go "in" instead of "out" (or vice versa) depending on the direction you look at them. Which makes them less than ideal for ground surfaces where you might reverse the camera direction, or where you might significantly change the lighting direction (and one reason why I've largely gone back to bump maps in my current wip)

A normal texture map, without bumps, is a Male map... the ones with Bumps are...  need I say more. :)

Just googled CrazyBump... found it but also AwsomeBump which is free... supposed to do what CrazyBump does and more. Also mentioned at DeviantArt and BlenderArtists forums... in which there is a list of others too.  I've not tried it yet... will download now.

wgdjohn said:

Just googled CrazyBump... found it but also AwsomeBump which is free... supposed to do what CrazyBump does and more. Also mentioned at DeviantArt and BlenderArtists forums... in which there is a list of others too.  I've not tried it yet... will download now.

Good find!  I got CrazyBump a few years ago, so am happy to stick with it, but it's not cheap if you don't have a student licence.  Maybe you can put the link for Awesome over in Free Software that Makes life Easier?

Cheers! yes Silene

Don't quite know about AwesomeBump... could get it to download... read in BlenderArtists forums that it wouldn't download for some, crashed system for one but others had no problems.  I'm dazed and confused. But will try again later since I may have overlooked something.

thinkin of trying Open Broadcasting Software
    i luv the bandicam, but tired of recording their banner

still need a hdmi capture for my witcher3 play.  

yes xbox has an internal recorder up to 5 minutes. 
    there's no easy way to transfer the file to my pc.
    reading something about the mbr switch, seems xbox1 runs a le of windows8 (ghastly)
    used to use the fdisk mbr switch to fix boot sector viruses back in win95 days,
    back in my days of 'operating' AS400.

was about to order the roxio kit, but then read some seriously neg reviews on amazon.
    dont want to spend my xeon saving on a 'serious' kit.

Mistara said:

reading something about the mbr switch, seems xbox1 runs a le of windows8 (ghastly)

was about to order the roxio kit, but then read some seriously neg reviews on amazon.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/entertainment/xbox-one/live-apps/upload-studio

you should be able to download that and get the one drive link, you can even share just the link

edited May 2017
    th3Digit said:
    Mistara said:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/entertainment/xbox-one/live-apps/upload-studio

you should be able to download that and get the one drive link, you can even share just the link

thanks.  

- doesn't seem to transfer files to usb drive to pc.  

would like to back up my witcher3 game to usb too.  what if xbox crashes or something.  oh gawd, losing my save would catasstrophic

seems the xbox 360 could do it, for some reason microsoft removed the 'feature' in xbox1

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited May 2017

Misty,  I've completed a model of CA, combined, for the CarrarArtist logo... 2 versions, without and with smoothing. Thanks so much for inspiring this!  At the moment the latest renders show them with a DCG shader... Carrara shader in works still... see my coment in Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All ... latest pics are There.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    wgdjohn said:

Misty,  I've completed a model of CA, combined, for the CarrarArtist logo... 2 versions, without and with smoothing. Thanks so much for inspiring this!  At the moment the latest renders show them with a DCG shader... Carrara shader in works still... see my coment in Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All ... latest pics are There.

nice lookin smiley

freekin out, was tick on my arm this morning, it's head in my flesh yuuuuuuukie pooo

nature not kind, wants to eat us

Mistara said:

freekin out, was tick on my arm this morning, it's head in my flesh yuuuuuuukie pooo

nature not kind, wants to eat us

Careful you don't go lyme diseased crazy surprise

boss man drew a circle around the bite with a sharpie marker, supposed to watch if the bite radius becomes more yuckie looking.

agony of indecision on video capture over, ordered the ikaufen 

agony of indecision on hardware not over, oh the agony.
    considering mac trashcan, or
    the i7 10-core with m/b, heatsink not included would have to buy all the rest of it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071F5G72B/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1QBC0SSV0GDWD&colid=36DO1LGVILNXK

feeling guilty havent finished anything yet.  
    when i sit down with intentions, dolly camera helpers side track me.

it's the line of sight cameras. 
    when figure is walking away from the camera watching from behind
    and then 
    the camera switches to look back at the figure approaching.  
    reading in the 'rules' to be careful of 'line crossing' disorienting the audience.

camera tracking is the most difficult part of 3d animation crying

i think i'm okay naos with establishing shots. in my head i think i'm good, and then actually doing it are different things.

but following character action. ohhh emmm geee.

and then like, working the atangonists into wide shots.  don't want them popping out of nowhere.
    antagonist could be a face in a window, grimmer wormtongue is easy to spot in a crowd of blonds.
    a pretty elf is going to turn more heads walking across town. the subtleties

feeling the influence of watching Sakura Diaries, pace is more relaxed, a really nice change of pace.  

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    Mistara said:

camera tracking is the most difficult part of 3d animation crying

i think i'm okay naos with establishing shots. in my head i think i'm good, and then actually doing it are different things.

but following character action. ohhh emmm geee.

Mistara, not sure if this is what you want, and you probabaly already know this, well, but anyway you can apply a 'Point At' Modifier to the Camera