Omni Shader Hair Thread

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,268

imaginatorst76 said:

In order for the omni shader and the presets to work properly, should the graphics card be nvidia?

Yep, that's a must.

• Norman_RNorman_R Posts: 95
    edited March 8

Hello crosswind . How did you do that with the panda? The fur turned out really nice. But somehow I have no idea how to apply the shader to the LAMH fur.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited March 8

Norman_R said:

Hello crosswind . How did you do that with the panda? The fur turned out really nice. But somehow I have no idea how to apply the shader to the LAMH fur.

Hi,  Norman_R,  I further tweaked a bit with OmniHair Shader for Roly Panda so as to make clumping curves more natural... Ah... tweaking a Fur is more difficult than tweaking a hair. Anyway, I attached the Shader Presets for both RTP and RTP Short. Pls test and tweak them as you wish.

Well, OmniShader does not support LAMH or Catalyzer, it only supports strand-based hair.  blush

zip
    zip
    Roly Panda Omni Shader Presets.zip
    !!!!Rolly 03.png
    1500 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,436

bicc39 said:

Everthing working fine, but a question.

To make sure, How would I obtain default resources..

Not listed in DIM?

Thanks again barbult, sorry about "his"

If everything is working fine, you have already installed the updated version of Default Resources for DAZ Studio 4.22+. Check the Installed tab of DIM and see if it is listed there. Enter default in the filter. In ths screenshot I hovered the cursor over the product name to see the details.

No problem about the "his". Everyone seems to assume all forum users are male. I'm used to it. My name is Barbara (Barb).

Screenshot 2024-03-08 132658 DIM Default Resources.jpg
    1100 x 841 - 131K
  • sidsid Posts: 413
    edited March 8

A not very artistic render of Suzina Hair using the Revolution shaders and some extra frizz. (I don't always seem to get all the frizz options in the shader panel - seems to be dependent on what hair I load

And a comparison using the Pit Bull hair - The new shader certainly catches the light!

pithair1.jpg
    1500 x 2250 - 2M
    pithair2.jpg
    1500 x 2250 - 2M
    Post edited by sid on
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,458

crosswind said:

imaginatorst76 said:

In order for the omni shader and the presets to work properly, should the graphics card be nvidia?

Yep, that's a must.

Without an nVidia card, you're limited to CPU rendering, which is slower, but the shader still seems to work just fine. 

murgatroyd314 said:

crosswind said:

imaginatorst76 said:

Yep, that's a must.

Without an nVidia card, you're limited to CPU rendering, which is slower, but the shader still seems to work just fine. 

Yea you're right... if one can tolerate the render time.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,427

I don't have a lot of existing characters that use suitable hair (I find the fact I can't edit dHair quite limiting at times), but it occurred that I do have characters with pets that use dForce hair, so here's Kristin's cat, Sahara:

Gallery Link

• Norman_RNorman_R Posts: 95
    edited March 9

crosswind said:

Norman_R said:

Hi,  Norman_R,  I further tweaked a bit with OmniHair Shader for Roly Panda so as to make clumping curves more natural... Ah... tweaking a Fur is more difficult than tweaking a hair. Anyway, I attached the Shader Presets for both RTP and RTP Short. Pls test and tweak them as you wish.

Well, OmniShader does not support LAMH or Catalyzer, it only supports strand-based hair.  blush

Thank you. I had forgotten that there was another non-AM Panda. Thank you for the presets. I tried it straight away. 

005484.jpg
    3072 x 3840 - 5M
    Post edited by Norman_R on
  • ShimrianShimrian Posts: 510
    edited March 9

Great job, @Norman_R! Here is Moshi the Kitten with OmniHair shaders. =)

Moshi with extra fluffy

Moshi the kitten with OmniHair shader.jpg
    1500 x 1119 - 429K
    Post edited by Shimrian on
  • AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,981

I know that earlier in the thread people talked about upgrading to the latest version of Studio to have the new shader work. Does anyone know, should it be working in the latest Public Beta version as well? And is there a trick to have it available in the beta? For a few reasons I'm trying to keep my main install on the previous version while I sort some things out, but I'd love to be able to try out the shader myself in the beta until I upgrade the main version. I installed the necessary basics file and see the shader in my hard drive in the data folder, but none of the presets are loading the shader.

• AlmightyQUEST said:

I know that earlier in the thread people talked about upgrading to the latest version of Studio to have the new shader work. Does anyone know, should it be working in the latest Public Beta version as well? And is there a trick to have it available in the beta? For a few reasons I'm trying to keep my main install on the previous version while I sort some things out, but I'd love to be able to try out the shader myself in the beta until I upgrade the main version. I installed the necessary basics file and see the shader in my hard drive in the data folder, but none of the presets are loading the shader.

I've been testing successfully in the beta version while staying on 4.21 for my main instance. I did have to upgrade the beta version from an earlier 4.22 version I had installed a while back to test Face Transfer 2.

paulawp (marahzen) said:

AlmightyQUEST said:

I've been testing successfully in the beta version while staying on 4.21 for my main instance. I did have to upgrade the beta version from an earlier 4.22 version I had installed a while back to test Face Transfer 2.

I also have a 4.21 General Release and the 4.22.1.99 Public Build. The OmniHair Shader works fine in that Public Build.

I just updated tonight, do you know what version you are on now? And I don't see a separate installer for Default Resources for the beta, I have installed the defaul resources for 4.22+, is there anything extra I need to do for the Beta to recognize where that is installed? I have the content directory mapped.

AlmightyQUEST said:

I just updated tonight, do you know what version you are on now? And I don't see a separate installer for Default Resources for the beta, I have installed the defaul resources for 4.22+, is there anything extra I need to do for the Beta to recognize where that is installed? I have the content directory mapped.

I'm on 4.22.1.99 Public Build. There isn't a separater Default Resources for the Public Build. It sounds like you have everything you need. Are you having a problem?

Ugh, yes I still had the hair cap selected in the scene even though it was showing me the hair surfaces. I think I have it working now, thanks for confirming so that I knew the issue wasn't just a compatibility problem.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,914

Here's a material preset to update my Corgi fur to OmniHair, plus example. Note that I tweaked a few things, and increased the hair count. Also you will need to change line tessellation to 0, and it will only work if you have Oso Corgi installed (for the texture maps). For other Oso Corgi fur colors, simply swap out the texture maps.

https://www.deviantart.com/willbear/art/Corgi-Default-Omni-Material-Preset-1030361096

Oso3D said:

Here's a material preset to update my Corgi fur to OmniHair, plus example. Note that I tweaked a few things, and increased the hair count. Also you will need to change line tessellation to 0, and it will only work if you have Oso Corgi installed (for the texture maps). For other Oso Corgi fur colors, simply swap out the texture maps.

https://www.deviantart.com/willbear/art/Corgi-Default-Omni-Material-Preset-1030361096

Awesome ! Thank you !yes

@Oso3D

By the way, is there any document related to OmniHair shader ? I mean a document that explains each slot on the shader ? Thanks in adv. !

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,960

crosswind said:

@Oso3D

By the way, is there any document related to OmniHair shader ? I mean a document that explains each slot on the shader ? Thanks in adv. !

https://docs.omniverse.nvidia.com/materials-and-rendering/latest/materials.html#omnihairbase ;

Richard Haseltine said:

crosswind said:

@Oso3D

https://docs.omniverse.nvidia.com/materials-and-rendering/latest/materials.html#omnihairbase ;

Thank you very much Richard !

And I also found that making good render of hair / fur with OmniHair shader also relies on optimal settings with Hair Generation parameters (PS / PR)... I know they're almost the same as the ones defined in Blended Dual Lobe shader.. but is there a document from Daz for that ?

• UncannyValetUncannyValet Posts: 146
    edited March 11

crosswind said:

@Oso3D

Some additional info that's not necessarily in the Omniverse documentation is that the OmniHair shader is mostly based on two papers:

1. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/220506677_An_Energy-Conserving_Hair_Reflectance_Model ;
    2. https://media.disneyanimation.com/uploads/production/publication_asset/152/asset/eurographics2016Fur_Smaller.pdf

Nvidia don't actually cite the first paper as the basis for their shader, so I may be wrong that it is relevant. But it is cited in Blender's Hair BSDF shader documentation which also uses the second paper. In that paper, you can find some interesting material (an example of which I attached, showing diagram of colour parametisation with melanin), although the paper is mostly just math equations.

In the second paper, you will note that OmniHair lacks the Primary reflection roughness parameter which they have described as a way to simulate a thicker undercoat (see below).  You can find that property in a similar shader I made.  

I should note, you cannot vary Primary reflection roughness over length on my shader right now, as I encountered some issue with the mixing bricks in Daz Studio when I created the shader, so if you wanted to use Primary reflection roughness for an undercoat, you would need to make an independent groom for the undercoat, which kind of defeats the purpose of simulating it. That said, I may update the shader at some point soon, as I read Daz had recently made an update to the Clamped Surface Mix brick in the changelog which may fix the issue I had.

Figure10.JPG
    2566 x 1568 - 370K
    Figure14.JPG
    2361 x 999 - 208K
    Post edited by UncannyValet on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,764
    edited March 12

I used to avoid strand hair because they looked so fake, but these are better, This still looks a little wig-like, but MUCH better than the old cotton candy look! 

CE179ADF-A304-444B-B44E-7504D15F2CA5.jpeg
    3584 x 5376 - 3M
    Post edited by Wonderland on
  • EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 456

UncannyValet said:

crosswind said:

@Oso3D

Some additional info that's not necessarily in the Omniverse documentation is that the OmniHair shader is mostly based on two papers:

1. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/220506677_An_Energy-Conserving_Hair_Reflectance_Model ;
    2. https://media.disneyanimation.com/uploads/production/publication_asset/152/asset/eurographics2016Fur_Smaller.pdf

Nvidia don't actually cite the first paper as the basis for their shader, so I may be wrong that it is relevant. But it is cited in Blender's Hair BSDF shader documentation which also uses the second paper. In that paper, you can find some interesting material (an example of which I attached, showing diagram of colour parametisation with melanin), although the paper is mostly just math equations.

In the second paper, you will note that OmniHair lacks the Primary reflection roughness parameter which they have described as a way to simulate a thicker undercoat (see below).  You can find that property in a similar shader I made.  

I should note, you cannot vary Primary reflection roughness over length on my shader right now, as I encountered some issue with the mixing bricks in Daz Studio when I created the shader, so if you wanted to use Primary reflection roughness for an undercoat, you would need to make an independent groom for the undercoat, which kind of defeats the purpose of simulating it. That said, I may update the shader at some point soon, as I read Daz had recently made an update to the Clamped Surface Mix brick in the changelog which may fix the issue I had.

Funny thing, I had JUST bought your shader like a week before OmniHair came around so I was pretty baffled when they BOTH used the same parameters (mostly.)

Thank you for pointing out the undercoat thing for your shader!

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,881
    edited March 13

When I opened DIM this morning to download purchases, I found a number of G9 hairs with updates. The Read Mes did not have information, but comparing what I had on my product sheets when I bought them and now, it appears that anywhere from 12 to 18 Preset Omni Hair Shaders have been added to these hairs. What I own that got updated so far are:

https://www.daz3d.com/selena-medium-hair-for-genesis-9

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-redz-kaz-hair-for-genesis-9

https://www.daz3d.com/twin-ponytails-hair-for-genesis-9

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-nathaniel-hair-for-genesis-9

https://www.daz3d.com/old-george-beard-for-genesis-9

https://www.daz3d.com/old-george-hair-for-genesis-9

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-zander-hair-for-genesis-9

https://www.daz3d.com/santa-claus-beard-for-genesis-9

So even if you didn't buy anything recently, but have bought G9 hairs, you may want to open DIM and see if you also have updates.

Also, there was an update to Genesis 9 Starter Essentials. I haven't looked at it recently, so I can't be sure if it also has updates to the hairs and other things.

Mary

Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • NewGuyNewGuy Posts: 156

I think they might have updated the main promo picture too?!  Thanks DAZ!

• left1000left1000 Posts: 41
    edited March 17

Is there a way to make the new omni hair shader apply to hairs that use "blended dual lobe hair (MDL)" shaders to begin with? I can't make it happen, dazstudio doesn't recognize it as a valid thing to do?

I can only apply the omnihair shader to irayshader based hairs? Am I understanding this correctly?

I'm trying this on hairs which say in their description they are "strand based" but maybe they're not the right kind of strand based? 

Or are there just more steps to applying the omnihairshader to the "blended dual lobe hair (MDL)" shader parts? I read on other pages of this thread people comparing dual lobe to omnihair blended root shader... but I don't see how that would be done... since trying to apply the shader in the dazstudio UI doesn't seem to work in this manner? But like I said maybe there are just some steps to take that I don't know about?

Post edited by left1000 on
  • chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,214

Chances are, you are selecting the wrong item in your scene. Most strand based hairs have a cap with a hair parented to them. In the scene tab, select the hair, right click and expand it further. Then choose the parented item.

• left1000left1000 Posts: 41

chevybabe25 said:

Chances are, you are selecting the wrong item in your scene. Most strand based hairs have a cap with a hair parented to them. In the scene tab, select the hair, right click and expand it further. Then choose the parented item.

I've been trying that. The hair will have a parented cap yes. I can then go into the surfaces tab, see that the skullcap is an iray shader, and the main body of the hair is "blended dual lobe hair (MDL)" applying the omni shader to the cap works, applying it to the main body of the hair does not. Although maybe that's the point? Maybe I'm only meant to apply this to the cap to simulate roots that aren't the same color as the main body of the hair style?