Omni Shader Hair Thread

Comments

• TomhipTomhip Posts: 285

crosswind said:

Tomhip said:

I got a question but how do you identify which hair is strand based? Is it just hoping that its mentioned in the description or is there some way to tell from within DAZ?

Some SBH products give description of "strand-based hair" on the product page, like this one from chevybabe25https://forum.daz3d.com/dforce-pitt-bull-hair-for-genesis-3-8-and-81-males Search key work of strand first...

If there's no such a description, jump to "ReadMe page" from the product page (install Daz-Deals add-on first.. then click that "Read Me" link...)  There's a File List on ReadMe page. Check it.

Since a strand-based hair is normally with a Cap + a sub-node of SBH Hair, you can find geometry DSF files of Cap and Base in the file list. Then it's easy to identify it's a SBH product...

So following this logic https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-regina-hair-for-genesis-8-females would be a strand based given it has:

/data/Toyen/Regina_Hair_G8F/Regina Hair/regina3_486727.dsf

/data/Toyen/Regina_Hair_G8F/Regina Scalp/skullcap_2373.dsf

Even though "strand" is not mentioned anywhere?

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,268

Tomhip said:

crosswind said:

Tomhip said:

I got a question but how do you identify which hair is strand based? Is it just hoping that its mentioned in the description or is there some way to tell from within DAZ?

Some SBH products give description of "strand-based hair" on the product page, like this one from chevybabe25https://forum.daz3d.com/dforce-pitt-bull-hair-for-genesis-3-8-and-81-males Search key work of strand first...

If there's no such a description, jump to "ReadMe page" from the product page (install Daz-Deals add-on first.. then click that "Read Me" link...)  There's a File List on ReadMe page. Check it.

Since a strand-based hair is normally with a Cap + a sub-node of SBH Hair, you can find geometry DSF files of Cap and Base in the file list. Then it's easy to identify it's a SBH product...

So following this logic https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-regina-hair-for-genesis-8-females would be a strand based given it has:

/data/Toyen/Regina_Hair_G8F/Regina Hair/regina3_486727.dsf

/data/Toyen/Regina_Hair_G8F/Regina Scalp/skullcap_2373.dsf

Even though "strand" is not mentioned anywhere?

Yup, that's right yes

edited March 6

I must say this Omni shader is great. It makes my renders of Fur more natural than Dual Lobe, though some properties on the Shader seem pretty tricky while tweaking them...

!!Baby Panda.png
    1824 x 1216 - 3M
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • ShimrianShimrian Posts: 510
    edited March 6

Great job, @crosswind!

This also works well on clothing that has fur, like coats or liners on a dress. I used OmniHair shaders on the Christmas Dress to give it more color options! The left image is the original material OOB and the next two are the Revolution - Omni Shader Presets applied to the Christmas Dress Fur. 

fur shaders on dress

Revolution - Omni Shader Presets on Christmas Dress.jpg
    6144 x 1754 - 2M
    Post edited by Shimrian on

Shimrian said:

Great job, @crosswind!

This also works well on clothing that has fur, like coats or liners on a dress. I used OmniHair shaders on the Christmas Dress to give it more color options! The left image is the original material OOB and the next two are the Revolution - Omni Shader Presets applied to the Christmas Dress Fur. 

fur shaders on dress

Yeah, that looks pretty nice ! yes

• Shimrian said:

Great job, @crosswind!

fur shaders on dress

That's a cool idea! Now I'll start looking for SBHs everywhere... smiley 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,436
    edited March 7

Yes, the Snow White hair preset now works without an error message.
    Note the yeti's natural camouflage with his snowy mountain.

Yeti White Fur Rescues Edie.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

@Chevybabe25
    I've not been using Daz recently, but I gotta say that these new SBH hair shaders look amazing.  I was always put off by the texture of SBH, but now they are finally fulfilling their promise.  Kudos.

PS:I guess Daz and NVidia had a little bit to do with it, too.

• chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,214
    edited March 7

Thanks Sevrin! The curves make it so lightweight, and the new shader *chefs kiss*. Like a whole new ball game. 

Post edited by chevybabe25 on
  • Ok .. I have a question. I don't get this shaders to work :( Always get this error. Anyone any ideas?  All updates in DIM was made ..

Thanks for answers

screen_01.jpg
    300 x 282 - 27K

You need to install the default resources from dim.   

• felisfelis Posts: 3,884

Teufelseinhorn said:

Ok .. I have a question. I don't get this shaders to work :( Always get this error. Anyone any ideas?  All updates in DIM was made ..

Thanks for answers

It says it is in Default Ressources.

Have you updated that? And if how are you installing?

• It seems I had to install the default shaders manually .. with DIM it dosn't works, but now it's fine! Thanks :)

• bicc39bicc39 Posts: 589

Ok I surrender, I confess to being a total idiot, don't rub it in.

Now

Have read through all of these posts and still have a problem.

I have a few strand based hair (most recently Holu, I have Revolution - Omni Shader .)

I load the hair, I select the hair (not the cap)I click the shade color and.....nothing the hair is still white.

I know it is me but can someone tell me how or direct me to where the simple people

get educated.....this is frustrating

edited March 7

bicc39 said:

Now

I have a few strand based hair (most recently Holu, I have Revolution - Omni Shader .)

I load the hair, I select the hair (not the cap)I click the shade color and.....nothing the hair is still white.

I know it is me but can someone tell me how or direct me to where the simple people

Have you tried render or Iray preview.

The color in viewport is just what it is set to.

Post edited by felis on

You need to make sure all the surfaces are selected then apply the shader.

edited March 7

bicc39 said:

Now

@bicc39 Here is a step by step illustration that might help.

1. Load the strand-based hair like Halo Hair into the scene and select the dForce hair object (not cap) in the scene. (I believe you have already done that successfully.)
    2. Open the Surfaces pane. (My pane layout is customized, so your layout will probably differ from the illustration.)
    3. Select all of the surfaces of the dForce hair
    4. Apply one of the Revolution hair shader presets. Daz has lumped everything (base colors and tip colors) into the same category, so Smart Content is a bit of a jumble. It is easy to accidently select a tip color when intending to select a base color, The file names are clear, if you take time to read them, though.winkIt is sometimes easier to select in the Content Library than in the Smart Content.
    5. To see the results, turn on Iray Preview, or do a spot render, or do a full render of the scene.

Oops - breast area is shown, but it is in grayscale, so hopefully TOS acceptable.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 160331 Revolution Hair Colors.jpg
    1602 x 906 - 292K
    Post edited by barbult on

Barbult, you have no idea how grateful I am for the time it took you to put this together.

The reason for the delay in your posting and my response was that I was trying to

apply..... it over and over.

What makes it frustrating is with the shader panel open, I  cann see the right color

But

Still white!

Will keep going......again thank you, I am sure it's me

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,410

Where do I get the daz deal addon? Not seeing it anywhere to add it.

Faeryl Womyn said:

Where do I get the daz deal addon? Not seeing it anywhere to add it.

What web Browser do you use ? If Firefox, in here - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/daz-deals/. If Google Chrome, in here - https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/daz-deals/nagnffdgedlcmlibjhmalgcaekfgiehc

If MS Edge, in here - https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/dazdeals/mlgfkomgahokngbmaafecohbdjnenppa?hl=en

bicc39 said:

Barbult, you have no idea how grateful I am for the time it took you to put this together.

The reason for the delay in your posting and my response was that I was trying to

apply..... it over and over.

What makes it frustrating is with the shader panel open, I  cann see the right color

But

Still white!

Will keep going......again thank you, I am sure it's me

Let's keep trying until it works.

• I don't know what you mean by the "shader panel". Attach a screenshot showing what you are looking at. Do you mean the Surfaces pane? Accurate terminology is important when communicating back and forth.
    • And where is the hair "still white" ? In the viewport in Texture Shaded mode? In the viewport in Iray Preview mode? In a final render? Show a screenshot of where you see white hair.
    • Exactly what hair product are you using? Earlier you said "Holu". I've never heard of that. I assumed you meant Halo. Is that correct?

See Attached, approx 10 times from scratch. I have never paid attention to Einstein

screen.jpg
    576 x 489 - 37K

My deepest apologies to all, especially Barbult for wasting his time, due to my stupidity.

My first inclination was to not confess but that woul have been unfair.

Thanks to a problem with DIM, I did not have the most recent version (4.22.16)

Once I installled it everything ok.

Once again my deepest apologies and thanks.

It was not a waste of time really, because of your tutorial I knew in theory how to do it.

Thank you ever so much, if its any consolation, spent hours beating my head against the wall.laugh

Gosh, we didn't even think to ask about DS version. I'm she, not a he, by the way. I'm glad you got it working. I don't regret any time spent helping, so no problem there.
  • Hi,

I've just bought the Revolution Omni shader, and ( I guess I do something wrong) I cannot have any colors when I use the presets. The hair remains grey, nothing changes with the ton of dials in the surface pan... 

My Daz version is 4.22.0.15

I follow the procedure  (select dForce hair, not the cap, etc.)

Here a rendering with Lexi Hair.

Thanks for help,

Phil

Lexi hair test.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 412K
    edited March 8

Hello Phil.

You need to install the latest version of daz studio and the newest version of the default resources.  

Post edited by chevybabe25 on
  • Thanks, it works now .

Everthing working fine, but a question.

To make sure, How would I obtain default resources..

Not listed in DIM?

Thanks again barbult, sorry about "his"

bicc39 said:

Everthing working fine, but a question.

To make sure, How would I obtain default resources..

Not listed in DIM?

Thanks again barbult, sorry about "his"

I am downloading and installing through DIM. 

• In order for the omni shader and the presets to work properly, should the graphics card be nvidia?