Omni Shader Hair Thread

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,826
    edited March 3

Eboshijaana said:

Oso3D said:

Things to keep in mind for fur:

If you are using maps, put them in the appropriate root/tip for hair color and hair dye.

If you used a preset, make sure tiling is 1.

Remember tessellation 0!

Be sure to set melanin and  melanin redness to 0 (so they don't shift the actual fur map colors).

If it looks decent, consider upgrading quality: for every half line start width, double hair count.

I'm sorry, I don't understand the last sentence. Do you mean halving the line start width and then applying it to the hair count?

Because 0.35 (the width I use) is not much hair.

If you halve the width value, double the count (from its current value).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 452

Richard Haseltine said:

Eboshijaana said:

Oso3D said:

Things to keep in mind for fur:

If you are using maps, put them in the appropriate root/tip for hair color and hair dye.

If you used a preset, make sure tiling is 1.

Remember tessellation 0!

Be sure to set melanin and  melanin redness to 0 (so they don't shift the actual fur map colors).

If it looks decent, consider upgrading quality: for every half line start width, double hair count.

I'm sorry, I don't understand the last sentence. Do you mean halving the line start width and then applying it to the hair count?

Because 0.35 (the width I use) is not much hair.

If you halve the width value, double the count (from its current value).

Ah, understood!

• franky85franky85 Posts: 116
    edited March 4

Many of Mihrelle's hairs seem to work with the new omni shader. Someone made a list a few pages back but didn't include this one, so I gave it a whirl.
    MRL dForce Long Layered Hair for Genesis 8 Female with Colour Mixing
    Using chevybabe25's Revolution - Omni Shader Presets For Strand Based Hairs

Comparison

Hair Shader Comparison

MRL dForce Long Layered Hair omni revolution compressed.jpg
    2880 x 3840 - 5M
  • ShimrianShimrian Posts: 509
    edited March 4

This is a test with the dforce Strand-Based Hair that comes with G9 (Pixie Hair) since everyone has it. I thought it might help to have a side by side comparison of old and new (with same lighting) for those that are curious on what the differences are... tbh, I'm not totally sure of what the differences are is since the hair mostly looks the same, but the lighting on the hair is very different and it seems thicker? This was without Revolution - Omni Shader Presets For Strand Based Hairs. There are a ton of different options in the presets that I know will probably make even more of a difference, so keep in mind that my side by side comparison is very limited.

dual lobe vs omniHair

I now very much want to get the presets, but I'm waiting on a sale that will have a bonus for any "new" items (cross fingers). If I don't see anything special in the next couple of days, I'll just get it without a special sale and maybe post another hair test! :D

Pixie Hair for G9 test.jpg
    3839 x 1920 - 875K
    Post edited by Shimrian on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,415
    edited March 4

Richard is as handsome as ever with new Omni shader fur.

Richard the cat Omni Hair Shader Fur.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 732K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,945

I best not mention the one Brain cell meme 

oops

• ElliandraElliandra Posts: 487
    edited March 4

I did a couple of renders playing with the shaders and love them!!
    1st is dForce Joanie Hair and 2nd is the dForce Pixie Hair from the Starter Essentials!
    Joanie Hair
    Pixie Hair

Also have a list of the Strand and FiberMesh Hairs, the ones I have that appear to be working with the OmniShaders!

Strand Based:

AprilYSH

• dForce Iden Beard

Chevybabe25

• dForce Feisty Feather Bun

Daz Originals

• dForce Fluxx Hair
    • dForce Holo Hair
    • dForce Nordic Knots Hair
    • dForce Pamela Hair
    • dForce Pixie Hair
    • dForce Twin Pony Tail
    • Emberlynn Hair
    • Festive Updo Hair
    • James Hair
    • Joanie Hair
    • Molly Hair
    • Nathaniel Hair
    • Old George Beard
    • Old George Hair
    • Selena Medium Hair
    • Valencya Hair

HM (All Hairs are Strand Based)

Mihrelle

• MRL dForce Layered Bob

PhilW (All Hairs are Strand Based)

RedzStudio

• dForce Redz Kaz Hair

Toyen

• Catrina Hair
    • Retro Ponytail
    • Side Braid

Fiber Mesh:

AlFan

• Unforgettable Fiber Hair, Mustache & Eyebrows

Daz Originals

• M3D Orc Hair and Beard Set
    • Santa Claus Beard
    • Twist Hair (Fiber Mesh & Mesh Tubes)
    • Twists Bun (Fiber Mesh & Mesh Tubes)
    • Tyler Curly Hair

Matari3D

• M3D Versalite Short Hair
    • M3DSemibald Hair

Neftis

• Antonio Long Hair (Mustache Only)
    • Garcia Long PonyTail Set (Mustache Only)

Omni Shader Test 01 - Joanie Hair.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 1M
    Omni Shader Test 02 - Pixie Hair.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Post edited by Elliandra on
  • franky85franky85 Posts: 116
    edited March 4
    Cila Hair 1 resized.jpg
    2880 x 3840 - 4M
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,867
    edited March 4

Wow, @Elliandra, you did a really good job with Pixie Hair! Thanks for sharing the names of the hairs you found that were working. I love seeing everyone's hair renders with the new shaders! Keep them coming! heart

• felisfelis Posts: 3,856
    edited March 4

Even more hair - or is it fur...

Junglegirl2_02.png
    1800 x 1200 - 4M
    Post edited by felis on

So a couple of thoughts on OmniShader so far;

-The best hair dye setting for fur is at max 0.20.

- If you want to use extra maps for roughness and such, place them ONLY at the root roughness parameters.

- The shader refuses to show up if you search Omni, which is annoying.

- It is nicely lightweight.

Eboshijaana said:

So a couple of thoughts on OmniShader so far;

-The best hair dye setting for fur is at max 0.20.

- If you want to use extra maps for roughness and such, place them ONLY at the root roughness parameters.

- The shader refuses to show up if you search Omni, which is annoying.

- It is nicely lightweight.

Thanks for the fur dye tip. smiley

edited March 5

If anyone wants to create some renders with Oso Fox for Daz Dog 8 with dForce Hair, I'd love to see how it looks with OmniHair! 

Edit: fixed a word

Post edited by Shimrian on
  • Shimrian said:

If wants to create some renders with Oso Fox for Daz Dog 8 with dForce Hair, I'd love to see how it looks with OmniHair! 

Same!  I was playing with it a bit yesterday, but I couldn't get the black fox's colouration to look the same as it did with the original shaders.  But wow, does it render quickly in comparison, at least on my machine.

Here is how I did it;

Black Fox.png
    666 x 666 - 334K
    blackfoxomnisettings.png
    335 x 254 - 17K
  • Thank you!  Putting the Hair Dye Weight at 0.2 seems to be the trick!

RadioactiveLily said:

Thank you!  Putting the Hair Dye Weight at 0.2 seems to be the trick!

That and if your texture map has large areas of white you want to stay white, DON'T change the colour selection from white.

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,190
    edited March 6

This is Chevybabe's Vavoom hair with Brown Black and Dark Blonde tips. I was meaning to move on to testing something a little different by now but the more I couldn't get the look I wanted (fighting dForce - in every possible way, with various hair assets - not the shader...) the more determined I was to eventually get something out of all the effort.

Chevy-Vavoom.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 1007K
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
  • NinefoldNinefold Posts: 256

paulawp (marahzen) said:

This is Chevybabe's Vavoom hair with Brown Black and Dark Blonde tips. I was meaning to move on to testing something a little different by now but the more I couldn't get the look I wanted (fighting dForce - in every possible way, with various hair assets - not the shader...) the more determined I was to eventually get something out of all the effort.

Ooh, that's good to know. I've been a slow adopter of dForce hair, but I own this one, and it looks beautiful here. That's owing partly to your lighting, which is lovely. Also, who's this character? 

paulawp (marahzen) said:

That's the nicest looking Vavoom hair I've ever seen! It's good that you kept at it. yes

• Ninefold said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Ooh, that's good to know. I've been a slow adopter of dForce hair, but I own this one, and it looks beautiful here. That's owing partly to your lighting, which is lovely. Also, who's this character? 

Thanks! This is mostly one of my Face Transfer 2 characters, but with a dash of dial-spinning courtesy of Code 66's new Shapes Randomizer for G9 which I picked up the same day as the Omni shaders. She is my favorite so far. The lighting is mostly from Photography Masters, which I also just picked up the other day.

• barbult said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

That's the nicest looking Vavoom hair I've ever seen! It's good that you kept at it. yes

Aw, thanks! And thanks for your compliment on the earlier one I posted. I aspire to do beautiful work like yours when I grow up and get good at Daz. smiley This one was two days in the making and I refused to give up.

Wow @paulawp (marahzen), that looks great!

So I picked up the Omni Shader Presets today, but I'm not totally sure how to tell if a hair is supposed to work or not. I thought as long as you could apply the OmniHair preset in the surfaces tab, you would be good to go, but I don't even see the option available to some of the hairs that are supposed to work (e.g. Shadow Cat Hair listed here), but I was able to apply to Biscuits Jam Hair. The problem with this hair is that after applying the shader, the strands are huge. Is this a setting that needs to be adjusted or are you allowed to apply the shader to non-strand based hair?

OmniHair test with Biscuits Jam Hair.jpg
    2048 x 2048 - 2M
  • paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,190
    edited March 6

This was the project I was meaning to work on this evening. I sort of rushed through this because it's really late for a work night, but I think there's enough to share.

I think I have all of the hair products for Daz Horse 3 so I set out to test which ones were strand-based and could use this shader. (My assumption was that if it had the "Tessellation" settings, it must be.) My list shows:

Stock "Thoroughbred"/"Standardbred" hair 
    DA Wild Style Daz Horse 3 Hair Expansion
    DA Four Horsemen - Famine
    DA Spectral Horse for Horse 3
    DA Sleipnir for Daz Horse 3

My practical favorite from these is the DA Wild Style, which I used here, with "Snow White" and the "Platinum Blond" tips.

DazHorse3.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 1M
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on

Shimrian said:

Wow @paulawp (marahzen), that looks great!

So I picked up the Omni Shader Presets today, but I'm not totally sure how to tell if a hair is supposed to work or not. I thought as long as you could apply the OmniHair preset in the surfaces tab, you would be good to go, but I don't even see the option available to some of the hairs that are supposed to work (e.g. Shadow Cat Hair listed here), but I was able to apply to Biscuits Jam Hair. The problem with this hair is that after applying the shader, the strands are huge. Is this a setting that needs to be adjusted or are you allowed to apply the shader to non-strand based hair?

Biscuits Jam Hair is not strand-based hair. It uses the dForce cloth engine, like most Linday hairs. It is not compatible with the Omnihair shader.

• TomhipTomhip Posts: 280

I got a question but how do you identify which hair is strand based? Is it just hoping that its mentioned in the description or is there some way to tell from within DAZ?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,065

Tomhip said:

I got a question but how do you identify which hair is strand based? Is it just hoping that its mentioned in the description or is there some way to tell from within DAZ?

If it has Line Tesselation, then it is strand based. Unfortunately, one can only tell by loading it in DS and look on the Parameters pane. There should really be descriptions on the product page.

Ahh, I forgot to check for line tesselation. Thanks!

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,133
    edited March 6

Tomhip said:

Some SBH products give description of "strand-based hair" on the product page, like this one from chevybabe25https://forum.daz3d.com/dforce-pitt-bull-hair-for-genesis-3-8-and-81-males Search key work of strand first...

If there's no such a description, jump to "ReadMe page" from the product page (install Daz-Deals add-on first.. then click that "Read Me" link...)  There's a File List on ReadMe page. Check it.

Since a strand-based hair is normally with a Cap + a sub-node of SBH Hair, you can find geometry DSF files of Cap and Base in the file list. Then it's easy to identify it's a SBH product...

SNAG-2024-3-7-0024.png
    2037 x 1190 - 2M
    SNAG-2024-3-7-0023.png
    855 x 1051 - 140K
    Post edited by crosswind on