Omni Shader Hair Thread

Comments

• chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,214
    edited March 17

A few things to check then:

Select the hair in the scene. Click on parameters tab: Make sure Line Tesselation for both viewport and render are set to 0.

Make sure that the preview PR Hairs is set to on.

Make sure you do not have geometry editor or mesh grabber turned on.

Post edited by chevybabe25 on
  • left1000left1000 Posts: 41

Nevermind, my problem was not related to omni hair at all. I was not selecting the right item :P Just as you said.

No surface can have a shader of any type applied to it unless you select the surface in the surface pane while also having the correct item selected in the scene pane.

It's just that 75% of the time this is true by default without me clicking extra times, but sometimes it isn't and my brain just forgets to make it so :P Sorry for derailing the thread.

It's all good :) Glad you got it working.

• left1000left1000 Posts: 41

Hmm when applying omnihair to modern recently released strand based hair assets it just works. When trying to apply it to older, but still not that old, like just as old as genesis8.... strand based hair assets.... I end up with like chunky ropes of hair instead of the fine strands.

Anyone else have this happen? Anyone know what causes it or how to fix it? Or is this just a clean sign that a hair product is incompatible with the new shader?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,436

left1000 said:

Hmm when applying omnihair to modern recently released strand based hair assets it just works. When trying to apply it to older, but still not that old, like just as old as genesis8.... strand based hair assets.... I end up with like chunky ropes of hair instead of the fine strands.

Anyone else have this happen? Anyone know what causes it or how to fix it? Or is this just a clean sign that a hair product is incompatible with the new shader?

Be specific about what hair product(s) this happens with, so people here can help determine the problem. Maybe it isn't really a Daz Strand-Based hair. Not all dForce hair products are Strand-Based, for example. 

• JumbotronJumbotron Posts: 55
    edited March 22

Hi,

Have any of you had this experience? I've converted a compatible hair to the new Omnihair shader, then I've tweaked the new shader's parameters to my liking. Finally, I've saved a new scene subset preset of the figure with the modified hair. When I load this saved preset, the hair on the figure looks all right, as I set it up. But if I have a look at the shader parameters, I cannot find the melanin and melanin redness dials anymore.

EDITED: Strange. I've just reloaded the figure's scene subset and now I can see both melanin and melanin redness correctly listed under the shader dials. But yesterday, they weren't there that I could see. Forget that I said anything in any case. Sorry about that.

Post edited by Jumbotron on
  • ElorElor Posts: 838

memcneil70 said:

When I opened DIM this morning to download purchases, I found a number of G9 hairs with updates. The Read Mes did not have information, but comparing what I had on my product sheets when I bought them and now, it appears that anywhere from 12 to 18 Preset Omni Hair Shaders have been added to these hairs.

I have one of those hairs and not knowing what was changed, I didn't update it.

Thank you smiley

• RowanessqueRowanessque Posts: 131

will this hair for example with your shader? dForce MK Hime Cut Hair for Genesis 9 Lite

dForce Bob Style Hair for Genesis 8 Females and Genesis 9

dForce Loose Updo Hair for Genesis 8 Female

What about None Dforce Genesis 8? 

Thanks your hair shaders are  on sale tonight chevybaby25 would love to hair from someone tonight thanks 

@Rowanesque neither of those to my knowledge are strand based hairs.  Someone was kind enough to make a full list of hairs that are though:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/676821/list-of-strand-based-hair-in-the-store#latest

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,547

Apologies if this has been answered before, I can't seem to find it: How do I access the Omni Shader without having the CB Presets installed?

I wanted to change the Feisty Bun to the new shader. First I thought I could just use Nordic Hair presets on it, but that doesn't change the basic shader. So then I searched in the new default resources (with hair and all surfaces of Feisty Bun selected), but all I can find anywhere is a file called 'Omnihair root tip blend (mdl)' which seems to change the hair color to blonde but doesn't do anything about the shader type. I have updated to the newest DS and NVidia version, and DIM tells me default resources 4.22+ are installed (I can also see the files themselves). What am I doing wrong? I must be looking in the wrong place somehow, right? Help much appreciated!

• felisfelis Posts: 3,884

If you in Smart Content go to Shaders > Hair and search for OmniHair you should find it.

It is part of Default Ressources

edited March 24

felis said:

If you in Smart Content go to Shaders > Hair and search for OmniHair you should find it.

It is part of Default Ressources

Unfortunately, like I said, all I am finding is that one file mentioned above, and that is located in Default Resources - Iray - Hair. Nothing else. So the default resources probably installed themselves wrong somehow, right?

Edit: Reinstalled, but with the same result. Maybe it is because all my stuff installed in separate libraries? I'm thinking, maybe parts of the default resources need to be where the actual Studio is installed? How could I find out where everything needs to go?

Edit 2: So I checked, and there ARE files relating to the omni shader in the Studio install location. Just somehow Studio, when started, doesn't seem to see them. This is getting even weirder, probably not a problem with the shader at all, but with my installation somehow being messed up. I'll try and get this sorted and will then report back real quick if things got sorted.

Post edited by tsroemi on
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,884

If you are installing with DIM, you can find Default Resources in that and see where the files are installed.

I dont know much about smart content, but in the regular old school folders, its in Shader Presets/Iray/Omnisurface

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,164
    edited March 24

It looks like using Omni shader on the fur is tricky.

https://www.daz3d.com/husky-for-daz-dog-8

Before:

After applying Omni shader:

Husky01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1M
    Husky01omni.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on

chevybabe25 said:

I dont know much about smart content, but in the regular old school folders, its in Shader Presets/Iray/Omnisurface

Hi and thanks, yes I have that folder, but again, even in the 'regular old school folder', there's only this one file called 'omnihairroot-tipblend (mdl).duf' or something like that, and nothing else. Also, when I look into the defaultresources update zip file that came from DAZ, there simply is nothing else contained in there.

Could someone please PLEASE tell me which  files exactly I should be seeing in the update zip / the omnisurface folder? I'm kinda freaking out here a bit, done a complete reinstall and everything, and STILL can't seem to find that shader ...

My default resources update, if that helpf, was numbered IM00013174-42... I redownloaded and reinstalled that one as well, and DIM doesn't offer me anything else

edited March 24

tsroemi thats the one :)

Select the hair, select the surfaces and apply that duf.

chevybabe25 said:

tsroemi thats the one :)

Select the hair, select the surfaces and apply that duf.

Ooookay, thank you SOOO much, I see now - that seems to work, phew! So DAZ basically gave us this one blonde preset for the new shader, and from there on, we can either use your universal presets or just go and play with the settings on our own. The presets from, for example, Nordic Hair won't work with others because they're h.mats, right?

edited March 24

Correct. The presets from nordic knots are hmats, so nope wont work. But, you could always use it as reference on how I have things set up :)

chevybabe25 said:

Correct. The presets from nordic knots are hmats, so nope wont work. But, you could always use it as reference on how I have things set up :)

Alright, you're my life saver today. Everything understood. Will definitely get the universal presets asap to save myself lots of hassle ;-) You know, you could maybe think about creating a set of fur presets as well? That would come in really handy! - Anyways, have a lovely sunday, and thanks again  heart

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,268

tsroemi said:

chevybabe25 said:

Alright, you're my life saver today. Everything understood. Will definitely get the universal presets asap to save myself lots of hassle ;-) You know, you could maybe think about creating a set of fur presets as well? That would come in really handy! - Anyways, have a lovely sunday, and thanks again  heart

I'd like to recommend a tip in the way of "new school" :)

Just like you apply Iray Uber Shader to a Surface, on Surfaces pane while selecting Surface(s), in Preset tab, filter by "OmniHair Root, then save it as a Filter Preset. Next time when you need the shader, choose the Filter Preset accordingly. Pretty quick.

SNAG-2024-3-24-0029.png
    518 x 1302 - 61K

crosswind said:

tsroemi said:

chevybabe25 said:

I'd like to recommend a tip in the way of "new school" :)

Just like you apply Iray Uber Shader to a Surface, on Surfaces pane while selecting Surface(s), in Preset tab, filter by "OmniHair Root, then save it as a Filter Preset. Next time when you need the shader, choose the Filter Preset accordingly. Pretty quick.

Cool, I'll do that, thanks! 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,960
    edited March 24

tsroemi said:

chevybabe25 said:

Not wishing to undermine CB's sales, but you could just save a regular shader preset from the hair.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Richard Haseltine said:

tsroemi said:

chevybabe25 said:

Not wishing to undermine CB's sales, but you could just save a regular shader preset from the hair.

I'm aware, thanks anyway! I probably will for a few, until I get to buy the universal presets pack, but there's so many more presets in there that it will be worth it nevertheless I feel. So you'te not undermining anything really laugh

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,960

tsroemi said:

Richard Haseltine said:

tsroemi said:

chevybabe25 said:

I'm aware, thanks anyway! I probably will for a few, until I get to buy the universal presets pack, but there's so many more presets in there that it will be worth it nevertheless I feel. So you'te not undermining anything really laugh

Heh, good. Saving one or two files is one thing, saving a lot to try to match the range in the product would be a pain.

• EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 456

Artini said:

Before:

After applying Omni shader:

Melanin sliders to 0.
    Hair dye at 25
    Put the base fur coat texture in all the hair colour spots. No more weird looking husky.

So I decided to test how omni hair would handle LAMH.

LAMH wolf

Omni Hair preset on the LAMH obj.

I mean, it's not BAD, I'd say it looks good enough.

basic lamh.png
    605 x 666 - 347K
    omni+ lamh.png
    605 x 666 - 375K

Eboshijaana said:

Artini said:

Melanin sliders to 0.
    Hair dye at 25
    Put the base fur coat texture in all the hair colour spots. No more weird looking husky.

Thanks for the tips. Need to try them for myself.

Here you go, Husky using the settings I suggested;

omnihusky.png
    683 x 888 - 976K

Thanks for the testing. That looks great.