Rendo migrations and the risk of duplicate purchases

bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

There are an increasing number of PAs moving to DAZ from Renderosity currently (Fabiana today, Pamawo a little while back, probably more in the past and more to come).

A problem for those of us who buy Way Too Much Content is that we may have bought products at Renderosity already, and run the risk of accidentally re-buying items we already own. Having to constantly stop and check to make sure we're not about to duplicate stuff slows down the process of stuffing our dollars into DAZ's pockets and renders the store a little harder to use. DAZ may not see accidental duplication as a problem, but some of their customers might.

The interim solution is to use the DAZ Deals plug-in's "Hide from Listing" option (which sometimes works, but sometimes doesn't) to hide products you already own. However, it might be nice if DAZ were able to offer some easier and more official way to tell the system that you already own content migrated from some other site.

In an ideal world, I'd love to be able to tell DAZ "Oh, I already own product X from this other site," back up my claim with an appropriate receipt, and have them add the product to my library at DAZ, so that I could then manage it with Install Manager. In a less ideal world, simply being able to flag products as "already purchased" would still probably be helpful.

Or I could just see this as my personal punishment for spending far too much money on content, and Deal With It.

Comments

• DeirdreSDeirdreS Posts: 6

Hi there. Here's what I did. I went into my account at Rendo and downloaded everything I bought into a new folder. Inside that folder I made sub-categories for each vendor. I hope Rendo doesn't mind too much, as I still intend to purchase from them.

I have a great script I bought on Daz called Content Wizard. It allows you to add all your Renderosity (and other) purchases to your smart content by installing them through it. Here's a link to check it out:

https://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result?q=content+wizard

It's not on sale today, but frequently is, and I got it for some absurdly low price!

Hope this helps!

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282

You can now download a csv file of all your purchases at Rendo - I just did it and filtered by vender to check my Fabiana purchases before I purchased here.

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,603

You also might have to bear in mind that a vendor might go by a different name on a different store. Don't know if any of those that have migrated to/from here have done that but there is atleast one I have come across that uses a different name on two of the other stores.

• I have the same problem with vendor migration and vendors with identical content on two sites.  After several duplicate buys, I started using the "Like" button on the other site's page for the item (if the site includes that feature in item pages).  The duplication has subdued my impulse to add something to my cart without checking the multiple sites to see if the item might be on another site.  There is a second benefit of the site checks, potentially finding a better price for the same item.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,351

bytescapes said:

In an ideal world, I'd love to be able to tell DAZ "Oh, I already own product X from this other site," back up my claim with an appropriate receipt, and have them add the product to my library at DAZ, so that I could then manage it with Install Manager. In a less ideal world, simply being able to flag products as "already purchased" would still probably be helpful.

Unfortunately, the former is never going to be possible; it would require a three way agreement between Rendo, Daz and the customers to hand around sales records, because receipts aren't concrete.

I *have* a receipt for a product I purchased from Renderosity - and it is actually a vendor who has now moved to Daz (the product is not however on Daz, at least for now) - where I was sufficiently unsatisfied to ask for a refund, so I no longer legitimately own it.

The best you could really hope for is a "do not show me this product again" flag.

The other thing is that some of these products have been somewhat extensively reworked for their Daz re-release, so technically you never really owned the version that's now on Daz.

• Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,562

Many management teams ago, when I brought a lot of my Rendo catalog here, I asked for a line of text in red on the product page description to say that the item used to be available for purchase at Rendo. I did not change the product titles so as to avoid any confusion to previous customers. And any changes I made to re-release here, I uploaded the updated products back at Rendo and sent an email to all Rendo purchasers that they had the most recent version of the product in their accounts.

Steps should be taken to mitigate purchase errors on the store's side. I agree with @Matt_Castle that a "do not show" flag on each product would be great. Of course, here you can return items easily, but you shouldn't have to. 

• Alias52Alias52 Posts: 284

3Ddreamer said:

You can now download a csv file of all your purchases at Rendo - I just did it and filtered by vender to check my Fabiana purchases before I purchased here.

That was a big help, thanks. I had not noticed it before!

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,753

When I buy any 3D product, I download any documentation available about it. That includes freebies. I then put that into my files that mimic Smart Content structure. Yesterday, knowing that I had bought many of Fabiana's products, I looked up the two I wasn't sure about and yep, not purchased yet. So into my cart they went.

Now I am in the middle of adding metadata and the thumbnails, which for some reason DAZ failed to do. Thankfully her Content Library organization is clean and I am working with that to assign the metadata.

And for what it is worth, The Tywill necklace fit G9 easily when I was testing something.

• Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,151

Well, I would also love to have an option to "migrate" Rendo-Purchases over to DAZ. But that is probably wishful thinking.

I actually maintain local catalogs for major sites like DAZ and Rendo where I purchase most. Only difference is that in the DAZ catalog I just have the promo images (as I install everything via DIM) whereas in the Rendo catalog I store promos and downloaded files.

Since lilflame (where I probably own almost 80% of all her Rendo-Releases) moved over her whole back catalog it seems I might really need to invest some time to cross-check on everything I own to avoild potential double-purchases.

Apart from that I've noticed that list prices on DAZ tend to be significantly higher (random sample $14,95 compared to $11,95) but also discounts are higher (up to 80-90% on DAZ whereas on Rendo one usually gets a max of 60%-70% which only sometimes can be combined with an additional Prime discount coupon).

• wscottartwscottart Posts: 431

Somewhere in the back of my head I can hear a John Melancamp song. Life goes on, and I keep purchasing long after the thrill has gone. OOOOO look at the contours of that gorgeous suit!

• My general rule is to check to see if I have it (if I am unsure)

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,088
    edited April 9

Alternatively, be a bit parsimonious and have such a small quantity of stuff that you can know exactly what you have.

I'm working on that myself, and I'm not entirely sure it's working. Good advice, just need to take it myself.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • FabianaFabiana Posts: 119

Hello everyone!

I want to come and drop som lines for the interest and easy life :)

None of the products that were migrated from my Renderosity store to Daz store in this promotion from yesterday was changed, or edited, or modified at all: They are the same, so as I said in another forum post, if you already have them, you are safe and owning the latest file.

I will make very sure to put it clear if some of those get an update or a re-version to fit newer figures.

I don´t think there is away to have records here of what you bought at any other given place. I myself do what other commenters here explained, before to buy.

As was said above too, I kept the names and images as they were from start so it is less confusing.

I am here if someone needs more info or help, I would gladly answer!

Thank you so much for the interest!

Fabi

• TomhipTomhip Posts: 263

I have anotehr question, especially now when Lilflame joined. Will things we already brough at different store gain DIM andSmart Content support?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,047
    edited April 9

Tomhip said:

I have anotehr question, especially now when Lilflame joined. Will things we already brough at different store gain DIM andSmart Content support?

They will have DIM and most likely Smart Content support here. If you mean an update to the files provided in the other store, that remains to be seen.

Post edited by Leana on
  • TomhipTomhip Posts: 263

Leana said:

Tomhip said:

They will have DIM and most likely Smart Content support here. If you mean an update to the files provided in the other store, that remains to be seen.

I guess that would be up to the Artist to update it.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,169

Fabiana explained in another thread that her products that were moved to Daz were removed from the other store. It was confusing at first, because I could still them there for a time, but later that day they were gone. I suspect it was just a browser cache issue causing me to think they were still there.

• HighlandHighland Posts: 124

Fabiana said:

Hello everyone!

Fabi

Hi! So happy to see you here!

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,786

Welcome, @Fabiana ! Very excited to see your products here!

• FabianaFabiana Posts: 119
    Hylas said:

Welcome, @Fabiana ! Very excited to see your products here!

Thank you!!!!
  • KerseyKersey Posts: 46

I use Daz deals and add a comment with the + sign to every item I own in another store (+shopname). That way there is an orange label on each item I already own. It doesn't work when you search for items, but in normal displays it works, and I'll see it on the items product page.

• Place your bets on who the next Rendo vendor moving to Daz is going to be, because WOW this is pretty surprising.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128

Is there anything I have missed about the future of Rendo?? I have a ton of content I haven't downloaded yet from over there. 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,700

It's like an exodus or reverse exodus, if you will. Better format a new hard drive.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,066

Doesn't Rendo own Poser now?

namffuak said:

Doesn't Rendo own Poser now?

Yes, they purchased it a few years ago (in 2019 IIRC)

Panzer Emerald said:

Place your bets on who the next Rendo vendor moving to Daz is going to be, because WOW this is pretty surprising.

A bunch of items from Lully also disappeared from my Rendo whishlist in the last few days, so I wouldn't be surprised if she was one of the featured artists.

• AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 642
    edited April 10

Surely Daz would refund a purchase for something already owned? I've never had issues with refunds before, and they would surely have to understnad that this inconvinience is a problem of their making. I think they are very good in this regard, and probably wouldn't ask for proof of purchase if you don't make a habit of it.

While it's inconvient I don't mind the people moving across, providing they aren't made to tone down their products to fit Daz's more prudish (IMHO) standards and they don't drop support for G8. I cannot help but notice that my favourite vendor LilFlame, almost always suported both G8 and G9 on Renderosity, right up until the move. Now it's G9 only. Maybe it's a coincidence. If SynfulMindz moves too, it would be interesting to see what happens.

(I'm really sorry LilFlame, truly I am. if you're reading this. I wish you every success, but I don't buy much G9 stuff, because I don't use G9 and don't like to rely on Autofit any more than I have to. I hope you will reconsider, because love what you do, and up until now, I've pretty much bought everything.)

Post edited by AndrewJJP on
  • sunnyjeisunnyjei Posts: 497

Fabiana said:

Hello everyone!

None of the products that were migrated from my Renderosity store to Daz store in this promotion from yesterday was changed, or edited, or modified at all: They are the same, so as I said in another forum post, if you already have them, you are safe and owning the latest file.

I will make very sure to put it clear if some of those get an update or a re-version to fit newer figures.

I don´t think there is away to have records here of what you bought at any other given place. I myself do what other commenters here explained, before to buy.

As was said above too, I kept the names and images as they were from start so it is less confusing.

I am here if someone needs more info or help, I would gladly answer!

Fabi

I really appreciate you keeping the same name/similar pictures. I could have sworn some were just g3 on Rendo that go updated to g8 as well on Daz. Looking forward to being able to just buy your products on Daz instead of using Content Wizard to import and doing it semi-manually :D

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,983
    edited April 11

mrposer said:

Is there anything I have missed about the future of Rendo?? I have a ton of content I haven't downloaded yet from over there. 

I think all should be good over there.

AndrewJJP said:

Surely Daz would refund a purchase for something already owned? I've never had issues with refunds before, and they would surely have to understnad that this inconvinience is a problem of their making. I think they are very good in this regard, and probably wouldn't ask for proof of purchase if you don't make a habit of it.

While it's inconvient I don't mind the people moving across, providing they aren't made to tone down their products to fit Daz's more prudish (IMHO) standards and they don't drop support for G8. I cannot help but notice that my favourite vendor LilFlame, almost always suported both G8 and G9 on Renderosity, right up until the move. Now it's G9 only. Maybe it's a coincidence. If SynfulMindz moves too, it would be interesting to see what happens.

(I'm really sorry LilFlame, truly I am. if you're reading this. I wish you every success, but I don't buy much G9 stuff, because I don't use G9 and don't like to rely on Autofit any more than I have to. I hope you will reconsider, because love what you do, and up until now, I've pretty much bought everything.)

Agree while I do by the odd G9 item because I have the G9 to G8 clones product, when something like you said happens then, yeah I lose interest when these sorts of things happen.

Post edited by Ghosty12 on