Enjoying vertex modelling in DAZ Carrara

Comments

• otodomusotodomus Posts: 332

By the way 3DAGE can you point in what is wrong, or how can I solve this issue? the red areas aren't quad, do I need to start again? or there's a way to easy solve it?

Thanks in advance.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited January 2016

On that model it should be quite easy.

Link the two vertices (yellow)

Dissolve the lines (edges) with backspase (red)

Untitled-1.jpg
    791 x 719 - 177K
    Post edited by Varsel on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    otodomus said:

That's great, and I think that would be to create characters right? 

Sure, but the video id all about how to take clothing models (works for hair, too) that we've made to fit the character, and easily making them fit and follow the character's bends, shapes, etc.,

This means that we can load in a figure, create a model for it in Carrara, then bring that new model into DAZ Studio and turn that maodel into something that we canload onto that figure, but this time it will be fully rigged to follow everything the main figure does. It very powerful - but it's also very simple if you already know how 3d modeling works.

@3DAGE - Very nice car and pistol models! Doesn't suprise me... I like your models.

@otodomus - Glad you're progressing and having fun! Yeah, I enjoy watrching modeling tutorials for other software too. It helps, even if some of the commands that the artist chooses to use don't exist in Carrara. It's mainly the building of the topology that I'm after. I enjoy just doing it myself, but some of these Masters have ways that help with things down the road, so it's really helpful to pick up on that stuff. 

:) I really like this thread!

3DAGE said:

Converting the sub-division smoothing levels into real polygons can aslo help, by instantly adding more polygons to your mesh, it allows you to work on that higher res mesh, and if needed, you can add a level of smoothing to it to soften the shape if needed.

Note: it's a good idea to save your "base" model, before you convert any levels of smoothing into real geometry.

Also,. since converting  one level of smoothing will convert each polygon into four polygons, it's a good idea to  convert only one or two levels to real pols as things can get big quickly

I always save out base models so that "When" I make a real mess , I can go back to the base and start again.

...and the conversion makes those new polygons at the current shape set by the SubD, which is also very beneficial. This lets us actually use our view of SubD smoothing to inform us when it's time to convert, or if we still need to cease this and smooth that... pull these verts a little closer... whatever. It's very handy. As with the advice above, I try to stick with one level of SubD conversion at one time, so that I can once again be more precise with how the conversion works with the next level. 

• Never preffered modeling in Carrara, so I cannot give you any tips there (I use it sometimes for simple things and some final corrections before rendering), I started my 3D journey with Bryce (which has no poly modeling) so I modeled in Wings at first, I liked standalone modelers since...

Few things which helped me over the years:

Try not to model everything as one mesh, brake it into logical parts and get rid of surfaces which are not visible as you go (makes UV projecting/unwrapping easier later on).

Make sure not to refine your mesh till you cannot add any more details at current resolution.

Use reference photos as much as you can.

Avoid using booleans as your starting point.

Circular surfaces should always have minimum of 6 points, preferably 8.

Avoid triangles as much as you can (they do not subdivide well), if not possible place them in areas which will have least deformation later if mesh is rigged.

Check your mesh against UV grid (plenty of them online or you can make your own) to ensure UV's are not too streched or too different in size across all surfaces.

That is all I can think of for now ...

I have lots of free models on my GoogleDrive (see my sig), feel free to download them and check out how they are modeled, if you have any questions do not hasitate to ask  smiley

Varsel said:

On that model it should be quite easy.

Link the two vertices (yellow)

Dissolve the lines (edges) with backspase (red)

Done, thanks!   yes

otodomus said:

That's great, and I think that would be to create characters right? 

Sure, but the video id all about how to take clothing models (works for hair, too) that we've made to fit the character, and easily making them fit and follow the character's bends, shapes, etc.,

This means that we can load in a figure, create a model for it in Carrara, then bring that new model into DAZ Studio and turn that maodel into something that we canload onto that figure, but this time it will be fully rigged to follow everything the main figure does. It very powerful - but it's also very simple if you already know how 3d modeling works.

I really need to learn about it, thanks to point me on that! 

Never preffered modeling in Carrara, so I cannot give you any tips there (I use it sometimes for simple things and some final corrections before rendering), I started my 3D journey with Bryce (which has no poly modeling) so I modeled in Wings at first, I liked standalone modelers since...

Few things which helped me over the years:

Try not to model everything as one mesh, brake it into logical parts and get rid of surfaces which are not visible as you go (makes UV projecting/unwrapping easier later on).

Make sure not to refine your mesh till you cannot add any more details at current resolution.

Use reference photos as much as you can.

Avoid using booleans as your starting point.

Circular surfaces should always have minimum of 6 points, preferably 8.

Avoid triangles as much as you can (they do not subdivide well), if not possible place them in areas which will have least deformation later if mesh is rigged.

Check your mesh against UV grid (plenty of them online or you can make your own) to ensure UV's are not too streched or too different in size across all surfaces.

That is all I can think of for now ...

I have lots of free models on my GoogleDrive (see my sig), feel free to download them and check out how they are modeled, if you have any questions do not hasitate to ask  smiley

Oh! I know your work buddy! Its awesome! I have saved many of your models in my personal reference files, I had no idea that you were the author; and yes I will surely take a look to your models and will bother you with tons of questions if you don't mind! hehehe cool

Never preffered modeling in Carrara, so I cannot give you any tips there (I use it sometimes for simple things and some final corrections before rendering), I started my 3D journey with Bryce (which has no poly modeling) so I modeled in Wings at first, I liked standalone modelers since...

This is the first time I've heard about Wings, a polygon modeller right? Its nice!

And for those who are following this thread this is the correct mesh on the "T" tube, thanks again Varsel, it was in front of my eyes! cool

edited January 2016

This is the modelling reference I have followed to build the screw, I had to change some parts of the method, but basically started from lines in the vertex modelling room:

Post edited by otodomus on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

control loops?

edited January 2016

And how it was done in Carrara, a bit rounded than the first try:

edited January 2016
    MistyMist said:

control loops?

Yeah me neither understand that, what I did was to select the inner loop and extracted along, I think that may be a similar function in whatever the program was intended that mini-tut.

I think that the above tutotial was intended for Maya, but not sure. But if you look closely you see that some mistakes are there, some flats on the top and above the screw...

• Not bad at all smiley

It is a good thing that you are not too ambitious, modeling simple shapes is a must in the beginning, I seen people jumping to organic models (they just wanna model that female superhero in their first month, lol) too soon and getting disapointed, learning polygonal modeling (proper way) is a long process...

I started first with modeling things on my desk, like pencil, inkpen, pencil sharpener, a mug and things like that, other more complex shapes will come later with ease smiley

Not bad at all smiley

It is a good thing that you are not too ambitious, modeling simple shapes is a must in the beginning, I seen people jumping to organic models (they just wanna model that female superhero in their first month, lol) too soon and getting disapointed, learning polygonal modeling (proper way) is a long process...

I started first with modeling things on my desk, like pencil, inkpen, pencil sharpener, a mug and things like that, other more complex shapes will come later with ease smiley

Yes I know what you mean, I am trying to cover all the possible bases to start the journey of a more complex model, or what my job could demand, this is how I have learned to model those basic shapes, back on the day I had the needing to model some parts that couldn't afford, basically by lack of time then I re-take those models and learn how to do them.

Organic shapes... I did a human head the other day in Maya, but at this time I am more focused in the mechanical parts I could need in the day by day...

I did a glipmse to your 3D gallery, is such fantastic! Those renders were done here in Carrara?

• Thanks, most of them were rendered in Carrara, few were rendered in Vue and one in Kerkythea (long time ago) smiley

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

the screw would be tricky to uv map, cant imagine how to unfold it?

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    otodomus said:

This is the modelling reference I have followed to build the screw, I had to change some parts of the method, but basically started from lines in the vertex modelling room:

I love the modeling room of Carrara and this mini tuto is to keep as reference !

We had a challenge on Carrarators and I used another technique to build a screw.

I did this with a simple plane to which I applied a modifier.
    After export/import as .OBJ, I added thickness and smooth in the vertex room.

http://www.bond3d.byethost18.com/index.php?topic=16.msg87#msg87

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited January 2016

There is almost always more than one way to model an object in Carrara.  For a screw, I might consider starting with a simple corner then extruding along a tightly coiled curved polyline, and then weld with appropriate distance - or more likely, model the screw using a spline model preset and then convert to a vertex object.  For uvmapping, might select a line at the tip, use the "loop tool" to extend selection up the screw, and create the first seam (repeat as necessary).  I am sure there are better ways, but those come to mind.

Folks that are following this vertex modeling thread (which is great! - thanks Otodomus), might also be interested in an older thread on polygon modeling.  It has some great examples by Gareth, Varsel, Roygee,... and also has some links to useful tutorials.  Worth skimming through.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28716/polygon-modeling-post-your-creations-a-new-beginning

Post edited by Diomede on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited January 2016

I was getting inspired by this, and created a bunch of pipes and bends and valve....

Doc3.jpg
    900 x 675 - 146K
    Post edited by Varsel on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Do you provide the oil too ?

Nice work !

edited January 2016

otodomus said:

I did a glipmse to your 3D gallery, is such fantastic! Those renders were done here in Carrara?

Makes sure to check out his Carrara reel too!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Great stuff, Varsel!

MistyMist said:

the screw would be tricky to uv map, cant imagine how to unfold it?

I think that a screw can be easily mapped as it would  have a metal texture, but in the case you may need another kind of texture or perhaps a logo on it this works perfect, take a look:

DUDU said:
    otodomus said:

I love the modeling room of Carrara and this mini tuto is to keep as reference !

We had a challenge on Carrarators and I used another technique to build a screw.

I did this with a simple plane to which I applied a modifier.
    After export/import as .OBJ, I added thickness and smooth in the vertex room.

http://www.bond3d.byethost18.com/index.php?topic=16.msg87#msg87

That's really cool! The parts in the movie looks a bit translucent, but I think it was part of what you wanted to create, that's great!

Varsel said:

I was getting inspired by this, and created a bunch of pipes and bends and valve....

Those pipes are fantastic! Thanks for posting Varsel yes

diomede said:

There is almost always more than one way to model an object in Carrara.  For a screw, I might consider starting with a simple corner then extruding along a tightly coiled curved polyline, and then weld with appropriate distance - or more likely, model the screw using a spline model preset and then convert to a vertex object.  For uvmapping, might select a line at the tip, use the "loop tool" to extend selection up the screw, and create the first seam (repeat as necessary).  I am sure there are better ways, but those come to mind.

Folks that are following this vertex modeling thread (which is great! - thanks Otodomus), might also be interested in an older thread on polygon modeling.  It has some great examples by Gareth, Varsel, Roygee,... and also has some links to useful tutorials.  Worth skimming through.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28716/polygon-modeling-post-your-creations-a-new-beginning

Thanks Diomede! It would nice to see those other ways to model the same part, I am trying to figure out what you are saying but having it here would be nice...

Thanks to bring that other thread, it has great more works! 

edited January 2016

OK friends, time to move on, I wil start a more complex model, and I have a question since is my first time modeling a multi-part model in the vertex room, if I want to create a lets say a machine with multiple parts, what is the way to do it, all of them in the same vertex object and then split out the parts? Or I need to model every part as vertex objects? If is the same vertex object how is the split process? And if is as different objects how can I align them?

Thanks everyone!

Otto

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited January 2016

I have a current project in which I will be using a simple shape and a curved polyline so I will show an example from that.  I made a mistake but I think the steps might still be helpful.  (My mistake was using an edge instead of an interior, which I will be fixing later).  It is not a screw, but maybe the concept will still be recognizable. 

I am modeling a pair of moccasins.  Here is an example of using a simple shape and a sweep path to get a start on some laces.  I will be using the central flaps of the moccasins to help define the sweep polyline path.

1) Modeled a pair of low poly moccasins  (then copied all the polygons of one shoe mesh)

2) Inserted an new vertex object to be the laces for a moccasin.  Pasted the shoe mesh that was copied in step 1.

3) Used construct : oval, and then reduced the scale to a tiny size, which is the circumference of a shoe lace.

4)  Chose the curve tool from the polyline menu.  Chose the preset that I wanted (pipeline) Then started at the top of one flap and crisscrossed points back and forth down the shoe flaps, and then back up.

5) Selected the oval.  Chose Construct : Sweep.  Carrara prompts for the polyline sweep path.  Clicked the crisscrossed curve that I just made.

6)  Carrara swept the oval along the path, but off to the side.  No big deal, I selected the new mesh and translated it to the correct place. 

7)  I deleted the duplicate moccasin mesh, the oval and the polyline.

So, this will work as a concept, but I forgot to make the holes for the laces to go through, so I will have to do it over.

ww 1 oval and path.JPG
    1058 x 774 - 67K
    ww 2 sweep the oval.JPG
    1047 x 801 - 79K
    ww 3 place laces in moccasin.JPG
    915 x 799 - 61K
    Post edited by Diomede on