Enjoying vertex modelling in DAZ Carrara

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

And yes, I find myself the Carrara modeling as a CAD method, very accurated the which is an advantage at the time to model mechanical parts.

You can get the same degree of accuracy in Hexagon, or any other modelling app for that matter, however, they are not CAD in the sense that you can't specify angles and such, but you can, for instance specify the length of a line.  What I'm trying to say here is that in Carrara you specify what you want before doing it, whereas in other modellers you can eyeball and adjust  while doing it.  I find that a serious limitation.

As 3DAGE says, it's different strokes for different folks:)

• otodomusotodomus Posts: 332
    Roygee said:

And yes, I find myself the Carrara modeling as a CAD method, very accurated the which is an advantage at the time to model mechanical parts.

You can get the same degree of accuracy in Hexagon, or any other modelling app for that matter, however, they are not CAD in the sense that you can't specify angles and such, but you can, for instance specify the length of a line.  What I'm trying to say here is that in Carrara you specify what you want before doing it, whereas in other modellers you can eyeball and adjust  while doing it.  I find that a serious limitation.

As 3DAGE says, it's different strokes for different folks:)

Yes, and perhaps I am being acustomed to that process, I like how in other programs the "free-hand" lets you adjust at the eye, but to me in most of the cases that is not what I need, a measure decided before to rotate or move the object is quite useful.

edited January 2016

I have cleaned up a little bit the tire geometry and I could substract about 1k of faces, and fixed also the level of subdivition to 1, and you guys were just right, the result is not that different:

Post edited by otodomus on

A question friends, at this time I am working on a chain, there is a way to get a natural fall-out of it? I remember have seen some physics applied to 3D models, but I haven't done before, here is the basic model:

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Hi Ottto :0

To use physics,. I'd take one link, as a single vertex object. in the assembly room, you can enable physics as the motion type for that,. then duplicate that, rotate it 90, and move it up into position,. Select both of those, and duplicate and move up,. repeat as needed to make the chain.

Every object has a set of physical parametrers, such as Mass, friction, bounce....you can set these physics settings in the Effects Tab / Physics for each object

If the whole thing explodes when you hit the simmulate physics button, then you need to look at the physics tab for (Collision distance) for the scene,..

and for the link ( Efects tab / physics properties ) .

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Physics_Chain.car

this quick example uses an animated cube to move the chain ,. it has one link parented to that, with a Motion constraint (ball joint) to stop that link from falling to the floor.

I added a plane, as a floor,. just to catch the chain in case in got it all wrong.

Physics is Phun

But,....

You could take your object, and add some bones,. one for each link,  then manually animate it,. much less fun

3DAGE said:

Hi Ottto :0

To use physics,. I'd take one link, as a single vertex object. in the assembly room, you can enable physics as the motion type for that,. then duplicate that, rotate it 90, and move it up into position,. Select both of those, and duplicate and move up,. repeat as needed to make the chain.

Every object has a set of physical parametrers, such as Mass, friction, bounce....you can set these physics settings in the Effects Tab / Physics for each object

If the whole thing explodes when you hit the simmulate physics button, then you need to look at the physics tab for (Collision distance) for the scene,..

and for the link ( Efects tab / physics properties ) .

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Physics_Chain.car

this quick example uses an animated cube to move the chain ,. it has one link parented to that, with a Motion constraint (ball joint) to stop that link from falling to the floor.

I added a plane, as a floor,. just to catch the chain in case in got it all wrong.

Physics is Phun

But,....

You could take your object, and add some bones,. one for each link,  then manually animate it,. much less fun

Cool! The cube works as a magnet right? I need to check those parameters, and what I want to obtain is the chain placed at the floor in a natural way, do I need to un-link the box? Or perhaps in this case is not necessary a box?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

You could animate the cube to drag the chain across the floor,.gettting  lower and lower, and stopping,. like you would if you were holding the chain,.

The cube works as a magnet right?

Almost,... The cube is just an animated object. You could make it invisible,. or replace it with a target helper,.

The Link which is parented to that animated object is the real key,. It has a constraint applied to it, so that it doesn't just fall,. but it's Not animated,. it's using physics, and the other links are pure physics,. which allows them to fall and drag naturally,. but that top link is physically holding the others, and because of the constraint and the fact that it's parented to an animated object,. it follows where that object goes..

If you delete the cube,. and remove the constraint on the link (set to NONE),. then run the physics again,. all the links will fall to the floor in a heap, and probably colide with each other for a while.

By usuing an animated object, you can control the physical animation better where you need things to happen in a controlled way.

3DAGE said:

You could animate the cube to drag the chain across the floor,.gettting  lower and lower, and stopping,. like you would if you were holding the chain,.

The cube works as a magnet right?

Almost,... The cube is just an animated object. You could make it invisible,. or replace it with a target helper,.

The Link which is parented to that animated object is the real key,. It has a constraint applied to it, so that it doesn't just fall,. but it's Not animated,. it's using physics, and the other links are pure physics,. which allows them to fall and drag naturally,. but that top link is physically holding the others, and because of the constraint and the fact that it's parented to an animated object,. it follows where that object goes..

If you delete the cube,. and remove the constraint on the link (set to NONE),. then run the physics again,. all the links will fall to the floor in a heap, and probably colide with each other for a while.

By usuing an animated object, you can control the physical animation better where you need things to happen in a controlled way.

Thanks much, will do some tests. The physics applied to the model is what I think it will provide better results than animate it.

Cheers!

Otto

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    Also, when you start the simulation, you need to make sure the meshes for the links are not intersecting each other. They need a space between them.
    Also, when you start the simulation, you need to make sure the meshes for the links are not intersecting each other. They need a space between them.

Thanks Evil, I will take your advice at the time to animate that.

Well as I am in the process to learn as much as I can, I have followed a textured metal in this mini tuto:

What I did is to create a mesh in the vertex room, and resulted this way:

Then I filled out and extrude all the faces to get a triangular texture, and choosed the bevel, the first one:

And the second one was better on the terms I wanted to obtain:

Once that I got that texture I finished the model and subdivided to 1:

And I know that I need to learn the displacement function, but as is my first time modeling in Carrara I wanted to push all my skills to the maximum, in the idea that when I had the needings in to model some similar I had already the knowledge.

Regards everyone and thanks for visiting an comment.

Otto

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I follow most of that, but what was the process to get the diagonal mesh?

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

From memory, you have 3 kinds of subdivisions inside a square: a X (four triangles), a + (4 squares) and the one on the screenshot.

After division, invert the selection and delete the original subdivision.

I suppose that it's like that...smiley

I was wrong about delete, it's impossible because all is selected at this time...

I tried (in English version).

1-After create a vertex tube, select all except the top and the down side.

2- Tesselate/ "Mid edge to mid edge"

3- select a segment on the edge and "loop".

Here this selection was duplicated and moved to the left but I don't know how to fill it, any idea ?

1.JPG
    622 x 550 - 43K
    2.JPG
    803 x 563 - 56K
    3.JPG
    797 x 576 - 63K

Well that's not exactly how I did it, I did draw the mesh in a top view, starting with a single square, the duplicated it and welding the intersecting vertex, its kind of meticulous but is the way I do my textures, and when I had the entire mesh I deformed it by using the blend tool.

But it all starts with a single square.

And once you have this one, don't you have the chance to fill out the geometry?

I see some vertexes that could be linked after filled out.

I'm a "basic modeliser", and I like this kind of thread, thanks !

Here, is it what you mean ?

I welded all and there is this message...

Capture.JPG
    554 x 444 - 26K
    edited January 2016
    DUDU said:

I'm a "basic modeliser", and I like this kind of thread, thanks !

Here, is it what you mean ?

I welded all and there is this message...

Hi!

Well you have pointed me out in another different way to do it, much easier:

First start with the cylinder as you said, but do no tesselate it, just select the faces at the cyilinder, I have deleted the top and the botton face, then use the extrude option, be sure that the polygon aren't linked:

Then do that the extrude tool reach as most as triangle you can, and weld them, then you will have some like this:

Extrude Option-1.png
    539 x 560 - 169K
    Extrude Option-2.png
    580 x 594 - 153K
    Extrude Option-3.png
    512 x 562 - 85K

In this step is when you do the Weld option, that gives you the pyramid texture:

And once you have this, you now can procede to add the bevel:

OK, it's easier than my first test to have the same result.

I have never used the extrude tool and in this exemple, I selected one by one each dot in the middle and rescaled them out.

I also found the problem in my last post: the welding setting was too low, I got it on 1 and all is ok now.

Thanks for your help !

Capture2.JPG
    534 x 475 - 24K
    Capture3.JPG
    512 x 497 - 39K
    DUDU said:

OK, it's easier than my first test to have the same result.

I have never used the extrude tool and in this exemple, I selected one by one each dot in the middle and rescaled them out.

I also found the problem in my last post: the welding setting was too low, I got it on 1 and all is ok now.

Thanks for your help !

Well that would be a third way to do the texture, and as I am also a newbie modelling in Carrara I couldn't do the Tesselate conversion frown

I am not sure if I did help you, but if I did I am glad about it... 

Otto

Hi friends at this time I am working on a chain fence, I saw it in a site and I liked a lot what you can do with it, you can create an effect by placing the fence in first plane and an image like a landscape at the distance...

Will bring back with the render soon.

Regards

Otto

edited February 2016

Here a quick render, it needs the landscape ....

Ok this is more than less the idea, having the chain link you can have a blurred image behind and you can create a cool effect.

I follow most of that, but what was the process to get the diagonal mesh?

Hi friend, sorry I didn't read your question, what I did to create the diagonal mesh was drawing a single square then I did rotate it about 45º (and by the way I can't do an exact rotation in the vertex room since I don't see a parameter settings to do it, anyone?)

Then I started to duplicate the squares and welding the vertex at the points of intersections, this is how I did the diagonal mesh, hope be clear, if you need a graphic of how I did it since 0 please let me know.

Kind regards

Otto

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited February 2016
    otodomus said:

...what I did to create the diagonal mesh was drawing a single square then I did rotate it about 45º (and by the way I can't do an exact rotation in the vertex room since I don't see a parameter settings to do it, anyone?)

Otto

I think this is what you're looking for:

rotation_constraint.png
    1280 x 815 - 263K
    degrees_and_axis.png
    1280 x 819 - 225K
    Post edited by de3an on

Oh thanks! I have overlooked that function.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Not sure I understand your method - but if it is what I think it is, I can only commend you on your dedication:)  Well done modelling job, whatever!

After seeing your post, I thought about methods of simplifying the job in Carrara - in Hexagon it is really simple, because you can give thickness to a curve.  I'm sure that somehow I once found a method of doing this in Carrara, but maybe I was dreaming?

What I did was to draw a zig-zag polyline, subdivide a couple times, pull some verts forward and push others back to give a bit of lateral zig-zag so they would cross over.  Then did a path sweep with a small circle (in my example I didn't make it small enough).  Smooth and replicate with offsetting alternate rows.

fence.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 301K
    edited February 2016
    Roygee said:

Not sure I understand your method - but if it is what I think it is, I can only commend you on your dedication:)  Well done modelling job, whatever!

After seeing your post, I thought about methods of simplifying the job in Carrara - in Hexagon it is really simple, because you can give thickness to a curve.  I'm sure that somehow I once found a method of doing this in Carrara, but maybe I was dreaming?

What I did was to draw a zig-zag polyline, subdivide a couple times, pull some verts forward and push others back to give a bit of lateral zig-zag so they would cross over.  Then did a path sweep with a small circle (in my example I didn't make it small enough).  Smooth and replicate with offsetting alternate rows.

Thanks Roygee, as I see I do often resolve my models in the way with evident much more work, what I did was started with a single cylinder with 8 sides and 4 sections, rotate it 45º and duplicate it, and rotate the second cylinder to contrary 45º. Then I had to separate them to have the space between both more than less of the same thickness of the previous cylinder, placing a section of another one at the top to make the intersection:

The rest was to duplicate that and doing the attachment where it needed:

And the I had a pattern that I could duplicate:

Your method seems to be much easier than mine, but I don't have clear how you did it...

Fence Chain Making-1.png
    1046 x 583 - 131K
    Fence Chain-1.png
    723 x 655 - 98K
    Fence Chain-2.png
    929 x 744 - 125K