Enjoying vertex modelling in DAZ Carrara

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited January 2016

I would avoid modeling all of the parts in a single mesh.  There are a couple of options to make sure that parts fit.  First, you can vertex model in the assemble room.  Second, you can start a new part by copying and pasting the mesh from the adjoining part.  Then delete the duplicate mesh later.  That way, if the end of one piece has a 3 inch straight edge and a curved arc for the other edge, you can start the adjoining part with the exact same shape.

You can combine different types of models in a single object (eg. have a spline spring as part of a watch made up primarily of vertex objects).

Post edited by Diomede on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    otodomus said:

OK friends, time to move on, I wil start a more complex model, and I have a question since is my first time modeling a multi-part model in the vertex room, if I want to create a lets say a machine with multiple parts, what is the way to do it, all of them in the same vertex object and then split out the parts? Or I need to model every part as vertex objects? If is the same vertex object how is the split process? And if is as different objects how can I align them?

Thanks everyone!

Otto

One off the nice things that has happened to Carrara, was the abbilitie to model in the assembly room.

You can start with a base vertex model, make the main shape of the object, then duplicate that, (always a good idea to rename) and use part of this as a template for new parts.

Or create a new vertex object, make your model, and then continue to model/adjust move/scale in the assembly room.

As long as the hotpoint in the assembly room hasn't change, you can then copy the model in the vertex room and past it into an other vertec room. If your models are UV-mapped, they will keep their UV's when copied/pasted.

• otodomusotodomus Posts: 332
    Varsel said:
    otodomus said:

OK friends, time to move on, I wil start a more complex model, and I have a question since is my first time modeling a multi-part model in the vertex room, if I want to create a lets say a machine with multiple parts, what is the way to do it, all of them in the same vertex object and then split out the parts? Or I need to model every part as vertex objects? If is the same vertex object how is the split process? And if is as different objects how can I align them?

Thanks everyone!

Otto

One off the nice things that has happened to Carrara, was the abbilitie to model in the assembly room.

You can start with a base vertex model, make the main shape of the object, then duplicate that, (always a good idea to rename) and use part of this as a template for new parts.

Or create a new vertex object, make your model, and then continue to model/adjust move/scale in the assembly room.

As long as the hotpoint in the assembly room hasn't change, you can then copy the model in the vertex room and past it into an other vertec room. If your models are UV-mapped, they will keep their UV's when copied/pasted.

Thanks, that makes sense, wil start.

Otto.

edited January 2016

Ah .. diomede said it first....

sorry, didn't see your response when I posted mine. Since I have to check my grammar first (English is my second language) so I don't make to big a fool out of me.

Post edited by Varsel on
    diomede said:

I would avoid modeling all of the parts in a single mesh.  There are a couple of options to make sure that parts fit.  First, you can vertex model in the assemble room.  Second, you can start a new part by copying and pasting the mesh from the adjoining part.  Then delete the duplicate mesh later.  That way, if the end of one piece has a 3 inch straight edge and a curved arc for the other edge, you can start the adjoining part with the exact same shape.

You can combine different types of models in a single object (eg. have a spline spring as part of a watch made up primarily of vertex objects).

Good, thanks!

Varsel said:

Ah .. diomede sayd it first....

sorry, didn't see your response when I posted mine. Since I have to check my grammar first (english is my second language) so I don't make to big a fool out of me.

Me neither! Haha where are you from? I am from Mexico, and I apologize everyone if sometimes I do sound bad, because like you english is my second tongue....

Otto

I am from Norway. The land of the midnight sun.

Or more precise : the proud town of Bergen

edited January 2016

Or an other way to do it, like I did in one of the previous challenges.

If your machine is going to have moving or rotating parts, you can parent objects. When modeling you have to make sure that the center of the rotating/moving object is at 0,0,0.

Use the assembly room to move the part into postion.

You can then use constraints to lock the way it will move.

(this model is availebel from the freebie section on renderosity)

Untitled-2.jpg
    1271 x 697 - 318K
    Post edited by Varsel on
    Varsel said:

Cool! yes

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    Varsel said:

Don't let Alaska hear you say that! That is the state's slogan!

English is my first language, and I still have to constantly check my spelling and grammar! What's up with that?!?

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

If I'm reading otodomus' question correctly, you could model it all in the VM, then split it into separate parts in the assembly room.  This doesn't always work, so to be safe, rather model it in the assembly room.

You do this by dragging the "vertex object" ball into the assembly room - this takes you to the VM.  Do nothing; go back to the assembly room, select the spanner and start modelling.  When you are ready for the next part, repeat.

Roygee said:

If I'm reading otodomus' question correctly, you could model it all in the VM, then split it into separate parts in the assembly room.  This doesn't always work, so to be safe, rather model it in the assembly room.

You do this by dragging the "vertex object" ball into the assembly room - this takes you to the VM.  Do nothing; go back to the assembly room, select the spanner and start modelling.  When you are ready for the next part, repeat.

Thanks Roygee, I am starting to model each part as a separated vertex object, which is nice is to see how accurate would be the alignment process in Carrara, all the parameters are well defined, I did the following just as a test of how could be the process:

I did duplicate some parts, and I have a question: There's a way to parent those duplicated parts that makes that if modify one the other one makes also the change?

Regards

Otto

When you duplicate an object, both the original and the new one will be a Master.

When you start to do changes to any of them, either in the vertex room or modeling in the Assemblly room, you will get the choise of "Create a new master" or "Edit the master".

But that also means scaling- placement in the modeling room.

So that means that if you want to identical objects side by side, you cant move them in the vertex room, but you will have to move them in the assembly room, as objects and not as modeling in the Assembly room.

That again will create some challenges if you later on want to combine them in one object by copy/paste.

Varsel said:

When you duplicate an object, both the original and the new one will be a Master.

When you start to do changes to any of them, either in the vertex room or modeling in the Assemblly room, you will get the choise of "Create a new master" or "Edit the master".

But that also means scaling- placement in the modeling room.

So that means that if you want to identical objects side by side, you cant move them in the vertex room, but you will have to move them in the assembly room, as objects and not as modeling in the Assembly room.

That again will create some challenges if you later on want to combine them in one object by copy/paste.

Thanks Varsel, I have choosed one of the springs in the previous model, and edited the Master ( I did the spring longer) and the other one did the change aswell. Cool!

edited January 2016

The other question I had in mind was: what if I need a base part that needs to have the same angle as in the flat piece? What I did is went to the vertex room, selected a segment at the bottom, duplicate it and copy paste in other vertex object> modelled there and here it is: a very accurated part that fits perfectly with the angle of the previous part.

So excited as is my first time modelling a multi-part model in the vertex room laugh

Post edited by otodomus on

Ok and i did the inner ring by duplicating the wheel, created a new Master and edited to get the inner ring just in the place it needed to be:

And of course as is other object can be shaded with other texture. 

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Really well done:)  A quick hint - you can save yourself a lot of trouble later on if you are going to have identical parts, to model one to completion, UV map and texture it, then duplicate.  That way you only have to UV map and texture once.

Also rembember that if you are going to combine them later, all the shader info is lost when copy/past unless you give them new shader domain names first.

This is either going to be a something robotic, or a fancy office chair ?

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Normally I would do as Varsel showed above, and build separate vetrex objects, which I parent and set constraints on. But the luminaire I showed in another thread,that I've been working on, is built as a single vertex object (55 polymeshes, 4700 vertexes). Why? Partly becauseI shall rig it in DS, which much prefers a single object (easier to apply mat presets for one thing), and I also want to see if I can rig it that way in Carrara too. And of course the best reason of all for doing it that way: "Because." wink

The four light-shaping shutters (the bits sticking out with the figure-8 handles) will be most interesting because they move in and out as well as rotating. There may be no alternative to parenting them . . .

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 11.31.57.png
    1160 x 875 - 253K
    Roygee said:

Really well done:)  A quick hint - you can save yourself a lot of trouble later on if you are going to have identical parts, to model one to completion, UV map and texture it, then duplicate.  That way you only have to UV map and texture once.

Hint taken, thank you!

Varsel said:

Also rembember that if you are going to combine them later, all the shader info is lost when copy/past unless you give them new shader domain names first.

Ok that saves the shader domain apart right?

Varsel said:

This is either going to be a something robotic, or a fancy office chair ?

I am just messing around, exploring what I can do, this is the progress so far:

Normally I would do as Varsel showed above, and build separate vetrex objects, which I parent and set constraints on. But the luminaire I showed in another thread,that I've been working on, is built as a single vertex object (55 polymeshes, 4700 vertexes). Why? Partly becauseI shall rig it in DS, which much prefers a single object (easier to apply mat presets for one thing), and I also want to see if I can rig it that way in Carrara too. And of course the best reason of all for doing it that way: "Because." wink

The four light-shaping shutters (the bits sticking out with the figure-8 handles) will be most interesting because they move in and out as well as rotating. There may be no alternative to parenting them . . .

Your model looks pretty well done, I think you can obtain low-poly models by using the subdivide option, all the rounded parts I did in this model are octagon based that gives you less polygons.

I really love that luminarie and the effect you applied to it!

otodomus said:

I did a glipmse to your 3D gallery, is such fantastic! Those renders were done here in Carrara?

Makes sure to check out his Carrara reel too!

Oh I have seen that too! Superb!

Thanks!

diomede said:

I have a current project in which I will be using a simple shape and a curved polyline so I will show an example from that.  I made a mistake but I think the steps might still be helpful.  (My mistake was using an edge instead of an interior, which I will be fixing later).  It is not a screw, but maybe the concept will still be recognizable. 

I am modeling a pair of moccasins.  Here is an example of using a simple shape and a sweep path to get a start on some laces.  I will be using the central flaps of the moccasins to help define the sweep polyline path.

1) Modeled a pair of low poly moccasins  (then copied all the polygons of one shoe mesh)

Thanks Diomede, can you share with us your final results?

Regards

Otto

diomede said:

2) Inserted an new vertex object to be the laces for a moccasin.  Pasted the shoe mesh that was copied in step 1.

3) Used construct : oval, and then reduced the scale to a tiny size, which is the circumference of a shoe lace.

4)  Chose the curve tool from the polyline menu.  Chose the preset that I wanted (pipeline) Then started at the top of one flap and crisscrossed points back and forth down the shoe flaps, and then back up.

5) Selected the oval.  Chose Construct : Sweep.  Carrara prompts for the polyline sweep path.  Clicked the crisscrossed curve that I just made.

6)  Carrara swept the oval along the path, but off to the side.  No big deal, I selected the new mesh and translated it to the correct place. 

7)  I deleted the duplicate moccasin mesh, the oval and the polyline.

So, this will work as a concept, but I forgot to make the holes for the laces to go through, so I will have to do it over.

And by the way, I have a couple of more questions, the first is: There's a way to attach a reference file (.jpeg) to the vertex room; the other one is, how can I model by using the symetry tool? 

Thanks everyone

Otto

To use a .jpeg file as a reference, in the vertex room : select the Global Tap on the right side. mark the one you want and then load in your file.

One thing to be aware of, is that you cant see the picture, when you are using the the Director's Camera view. Only when you are using the front,back,left ..... view.

The symmetry tool : insert a base object into the vertex modeler, Select all polygons, in the model tab, mark the symmetry mark, AND then go to Model on the menu and select Center Symmetry Plane on Selection.

You will now see the green frame that symbolizes the symmetry plane.

Varsel said:

To use a .jpeg file as a reference, in the vertex room : select the Global Tap on the right side. mark the one you want and then load in your file.

One thing to be aware of, is that you cant see the picture, when you are using the the Director's Camera view. Only when you are using the front,back,left ..... view.

The symmetry tool : insert a base object into the vertex modeler, Select all polygons, in the model tab, mark the symmetry mark, AND then go to Model on the menu and select Center Symmetry Plane on Selection.

You will now see the green frame that symbolizes the symmetry plane.

Thank you Varsel, I am very excited as I have never modelled using those methods I will start it soon.

Thank you!

Here my latest excersise, I tried to model a tire and the model resulted in a ver high-poly model, there's a way to do it in less polygon? This one has about 13k polygon  surprise