Tell Us! Links To Favorite Gallery / Art Studio Renders

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited April 2017

That said, I've gotten some great comments from posters in my gallery. One poster recently really touched me by saying they weren't going to like my image initially because it contained a samesex couple kissing. That person felt bad they didn't like my image for that reason for several hours after, and then came back and left a comment saying so, and that they were ashamed of this reaction.

I really was touched that my image sparked an emotional response both good and from a person who viewed it. I really appreciated that person took the time to say this and was touched by their honesty.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Oh, I didn't know comments could be disabled. Interesting!

Yeah, I have seen it a few times. I'm not sure how it is done. I think it is a shame, because frequently I like those images and would've said something about it, but I understand artistic sensativities and some people cannot genuinely handle critique of any sort.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

Well.... if you're here in this thread, you want the critique? Right? Or am I mis-undertanding some of the purpose?

The purpose is really however you want to approach it. smiley  My reason for starting the thread was to get attention to the images, as it's unbelievable how many renders get little or no comments (whether that be critiques, atta-boy/girls, any comments at all.) 

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Just throwing this out there: My comments can seem overly critical. I'm being honest. I'm telling you what I see. You want honest critiques, right?

I wrtie my comments with the hope that you will perhaps see it from my point of view, and they are honestly my attempt to help you 'improve' your art. We don't have to agree, and you won't get an argument from me if you don't agree with my observations.

Take them as you wish, but they are never mean-spirited. I applaud you, always, for your efforts and the courage you show in displaying your art and asking for comments.

I greatly appreciated your comments, @evilded777. After I dusted myself off the ground. laugh I did not think your comments were mean-spirited. For me, lighting is the toughest part of the scene. I look at ShibaShake's art as well as others like Budo-San and it just blows me away how great they are. Even in using a 3-point lighting system, intensity/colors/how close or how far to place them is still a challenge for me. When is that "That's it! The perfect light/depth balance" moment?

I've watched lighting videos where they say lighting is subjective and personal, so if it looks good to me then that is how it should look. Maybe there is more though. How will I improve if I'm not aware of what could use improvement? Thanks again!

On this note @Novica, since I mentioned two artists, it reminded me to ask: If I want to provide links to other artist's renders, do I edit my initial post and include them below mine? Or do you want a separate post for them?

I am not Novica, but my preference would be if you want to call attention to new images, that there be a new post. I'm not inclined to go back and re-read the old posts in the thread. 

Exactly, new posts. 

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

I wish I could get some constructive criticism on some of my work! laugh

I used to participate in render challenges on the Dreamlight site because each month he would create a video going through every entry and talking about what he liked and drawing all over it offering suggestions for improvement.  I learned more from participating in and watching a couple months of those videos than I did in the previous couple years of trying to learn on my own. Sadly, he no longer does that, My personal feeling is that, especially for someone with no art training, it is nearly impossible to get better without honest (constructive!) criticism, but I totally get your point that it shouldn't come without invitation.

@MD02010 careful what you wish for.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

laugh

I knew what I was in for, a little pain is worth it if it helps me get better.

MDO2010 said:

laugh

I knew what I was in for, a little pain is worth it if it helps me get better.

Well, I hope it helps.  You've got some great stuff...just needs a little here and there.  Composition... study some composition, and learn to control your lights.  Those are so key and I would say that to anyone, but with just a little in those areas you will be knocking it out of the park regularly.

edited April 2017

This image is clever  and shows a lot of creativity. I like the puff of air coming out of the trunk. It is Mammoth in a cube  by @ThoseThings 

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

People can CC me all they want. 

What I tell new photographers about CC is to take what they can use and ignore the rest..... 

Your artistic vision might not be the same as the persons giving the CC.

That said you can sometimes get CC that you don't agree with on that particular image, but you may want to keep it in mind for future images... 

So personally I am always thankful for the time someone takes to give CC.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,741

That said, I've gotten some great comments from posters in my gallery. One poster recently really touched me by saying they weren't going to like my image initially because it contained a samesex couple kissing. That person felt bad they didn't like my image for that reason for several hours after, and then came back and left a comment saying so, and that they were ashamed of this reaction.

I really was touched that my image sparked an emotional response both good and from a person who viewed it. I really appreciated that person took the time to say this and was touched by their honesty.

Just quickly checked this thread and then your gallery. AMAZING work! Liked and left a comment on the image mentioned. laugh

Here are three artists with renders that consistently show great use of color, composition, lighting, DOF, softness, etc. I could pick many more of their renders, but here are just a few:

ShibaShake

Budo-san

Shozai

@ShibaShake, @Shozai, @Budo-san

Just discovered this thread and so far just checked out @Serene Night's gallery which is AMAZING! I'm almost embarrassed to link mine after that LOL. I'm still learning DS and there is a lot of experimentation and lots of post work for non-realistic and stylized art. 

Anyway, gallery here, which is really a lot of experimentation and all over the place! 

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#galleries/45452/

And this one I think is my favorite of the newer ones: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/326096

Wow, Serene Night! I've spent over a half hour looking through your gallery (and liking and commenting!) and I'm still not done. Every time I feel like I'm goofing off, I realize I'm not because I'm learning! Your images are impeccable, so many details added to the scenes, great lighting, posing, camera perspectives, postwork, every image tells a story. Your images feel like a still from a movie.

I realize now I really have to learn more about lighting and play around more with camera perspectives and adding in more details. I really wish my Mac (CPU only) was capable of creating full scenes with multiple characters. I'm stuck with just rendering one character at a time with no background. 

Not to offend anyone else's art, but Serene Night's is the only one I've gotten to so far! 

Just quickly checked this thread and then your gallery. AMAZING work! Liked and left a comment on the image mentioned. laugh

Thanks for your nice comments. I really appreciate the responsesmiley

Yeah, I decided a while ago, that my interest lies in telling stories with my art so you will see a mostly common theme running through my artwork. Which is basically the adventures of Boyd and Owen.  I save all the scenes so when I get better or learn a new technique I Can redo it. I wish I'd done that for some of my early 3d work, since it would be interesting to redo them. 

Glad you like it, and happy to see you on the thread!

Thanks for your nice comments. I really appreciate the responsesmiley

Yeah, I decided a while ago, that my interest lies in telling stories with my art so you will see a mostly common theme running through my artwork. Which is basically the adventures of Boyd and Owen.  I save all the scenes so when I get better or learn a new technique I Can redo it. I wish I'd done that for some of my early 3d work, since it would be interesting to redo them. 

Glad you like it, and happy to see you on the thread!

Still looking through your gallery (after a bit of a break LOL,) and I can really see your improvement! I, on the other hand, have gone downhill, I think much of my earlier Poser art was better than the new stuff with DS, but hopefully, one day, I'll figure it out. Your gallery is definitely inspiring!

Aw thanks. I've removed a fair amount from my gallery. I tend to remove unliked images, or images that don't resonate with me after a while. 

From what I can see your art looks great, granted I haven't seen the poser stuff, but I think it looks really good! 

This is an excellent render. Lots of action. Great aliens, DOF, and great-looking hair

Lara Croft Vs. Grey Aliens

It is by @Shibashake who I think makes excellent renders

This is an excellent render. Lots of action. Great aliens, DOF, and great-looking hair

Lara Croft Vs. Grey Aliens

It is by @Shibashake who I think makes excellent renders

I wanted to list it earlier but I couldn't find it in the gallery. Saw it on DA and thought it was awesome! Glad you found it.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to those who checked out the pics i listed and left such lovely comments on them. It made my day to see the ones I liked the most get some love. heart

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    Novica said:

Exactly, new posts. 

Uh oh. Well evidently I didn't follow the rules, I was to busy looking at everybody's beautiful images cheeky So, I have a new image that I added to my list. It is Mermaid Guardian. I also added it to my original post earlier in the thread. 

Trish

edited May 2017
    Post edited by dawnblade on
  • zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,650

I'm sorry I just have to call attention to "Sunspot Aficionado". It's a tiny dinosaur in a modern setting! I cannot express fully how much I love this. Dinosaurs are my weakness and this is so adorable and perfect.

Okay, I'm caught up. I wasn't getting notices for the thread again. Those are some amazing gallery renders, I commented on all of them. Some are better than what they do in Hollywood for posters. That dude playing chess and the grim reaper ones really stick in my mind. 

Gallery Picks this morning (9am)

Guardian Angel  by @Mir
    Mei Lin  by @Rlove   (very sexy, but she's clothed)
    Tara  by @RichardJohnS
    Gothica  by @3drecluse
    Fire Dancer by @samiowells
    Imaginary Lands by @kittenwylde

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,662

Hi Novica! I finally updated my gallery. Here are the ones I like best. Thanks so much for doing this.

Ilya For the It's Raining Men Contest (Won third prize.) A Russian soldier living a hard life
    A Wedding  The medieval dress looks to me like a traditional wedding gown in a fictional country in the eastern Mediterranean some time in the twentieth century. An arranged marriage, so they are a bit uncertain. 
    The Moirae For last year's Llola Lane’s RENDER A MONTH Challenge - the challenge was using 3 similar things 
    Elf  For the PC Weekly Challenge - won first place.
    Escher Day For RRRR  Alternative Holidays Contest - I had to use 12 random items from my runtime (8 were my handicap for winning and placing in previous contests.) It was challenging and fun. 
    Zanpoori Centennial Celebration  Another RRRR Alternative Holidays Contest entry with 12 random pulls. 
    Round and Round Rapid Riders  RRRR - What Does It Mean? Contest entry with 11 random pulls. 
    This Bed Is A World RRRR Twisted Lyrics Contest entry with 11 random pulls.
    Vengence For an RRRR Contest with no theme. I had a lot of fun with postwork.
    Time Bandits 2 - The Future Awaits  For RRRR Sequels Contest