Darwins' Schtuff

Comments

•  I agree with Sonja.

Those tattoos are really beautiful .Great work ! 

• Thank you!  working on the head/neck seam now. lol  SEAMS.

I've made a couple of different texture sets ...but the seams are awful. I need to learn how to do seams. 

Thank you both on the tattoos-I'm glad they seemed feminine enough. 

Trust me, seams are still issues for me even now-especially at the head area where the texture resolutions are so different between the torso and the head.  Blacksmith 3D has been my lifesaver for these, otherwise I'd spend at least a week trying to get the seams to match up manually in photoshop and studio by using cut and paste and clone and rendering each piece.  On the diffuse, and then try to re-make the bumps from the diffuse and then the normals from the bumps.  Now I can place the obj of the model in Blacksmith, with the maps, and paint over, blend, and clone the textures from one side to the other to blend on the one base (With Sol, I'm working on the no brow face map and base torso map) and then go through all of the numerous face/torso maps I've already made and use masks to update those.  Same with the normal maps, but those I use the cut option tool since masking doesn't blend the edges well enough on normal maps to work.

• I have made tattoos before but never knew how to place it on one of my models yet.

Remember- layers.  I use a base layer with the skin, sometimes up to 7 or 8 layers for the tattoo making.  Then use different layer opaque settings and if it's black ink only, set the final flattened layer to Multiply, then slap the base layer (a copy of it) on top at 19% opacity to get back some of that texture since ink isn't simply black in skin.  Don't forget that some people scar when they get ink-hence the raised lines on my tattoos (to varying degrees) on my characters.  I use the bump maps for those-invert the tattoo, blur it a bit and add a little noise and lower the opacity to something between 15-30 and play with that in test renders. 

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Fascinating to hear about the process, and love the tattoos!

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303

Thank you!  working on the head/neck seam now. lol  SEAMS.

I've made a couple of different texture sets ...but the seams are awful. I need to learn how to do seams. 

Thank you both on the tattoos-I'm glad they seemed feminine enough. 

Trust me, seams are still issues for me even now-especially at the head area where the texture resolutions are so different between the torso and the head.  Blacksmith 3D has been my lifesaver for these, otherwise I'd spend at least a week trying to get the seams to match up manually in photoshop and studio by using cut and paste and clone and rendering each piece.  On the diffuse, and then try to re-make the bumps from the diffuse and then the normals from the bumps.  Now I can place the obj of the model in Blacksmith, with the maps, and paint over, blend, and clone the textures from one side to the other to blend on the one base (With Sol, I'm working on the no brow face map and base torso map) and then go through all of the numerous face/torso maps I've already made and use masks to update those.  Same with the normal maps, but those I use the cut option tool since masking doesn't blend the edges well enough on normal maps to work.

I've heard good things about Blacksmith 3D. I totally need to look into getting it. Thanks for the info, DM! :)

• Most welcome-if you make characters, or anything else (props, clothing, etc) it's great for seam work.  I haven't used it much other than projection mapping and painting certain tattoos, but well worth the investment in time saving.

• Seam check-almost done!

aaaaand I accidentally posted that in Sonja's thread-sorry! :)

Rendering all of her icons and cards....wow.  Lots of them.  May be tomorrow night before they're done.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

No problem I don't mind sharing at all lol.

• LOL!  I was wondering why that happened.  :)

• Cuz I'm an idjit?  ;)

Nah, just got too many irons in the fire. We all make those kinds of mistakes sometimes.

• So- Solange for Genesis 3 Female was just sent by surprise to one of my volunteers.  Today, it's Knittingmommy!

Hurray, Knittingmommy! Have fun with her!

• Actually did a respectable render of her, too. ;) 

edited February 2017

Ooh, I like the pose and camera angle there, Darwin. She looks good! Skin that dark is sometimes challenging to light, but you got it! 

Post edited by Llynara on
  • Cuz I'm an idjit?  ;)

Nah, just very, very busy! ;)

Llynara said:

Hurray, Knittingmommy! Have fun with her!

I just got home from taking the boys to karate.  She's downloading now.  If I'm lucky, my current render will be done by the time she's done downloading.  I'm excited to see her in person.  :)

@DarwinsMishap  Very nice render!  She pairs up well with all the gold in there.  I like the contrast with her skin. 

• Thank you very much!  Remember, she needs no morph packs to be used, just the base Genesis 3 Female model. ;) Have fun with her!

• Thank you very much!  Remember, she needs no morph packs to be used, just the base Genesis 3 Female model. ;) Have fun with her!

Thanks, gotcha!  :)  I had a bit of a hiccup when downloading her but managed to finally get her and the files look good.  Unfortunately, Solange is going to have to wait until tomorrow now as it's bedtime.  Kind of bummed, but my current render is still going and, after rendering for 20 hours, I didn't want to do anything that might stop it.  I'm really happy with how it's looking at the moment.  I have a character who is a mix of Damen and Elijah going and he looks really good.  Those two mix together really well.  He better be done by morning!!!  

• Nice-can't wait to see!

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303

Actually did a respectable render of her, too. ;) 

Beautiful work! She's lovely! Her nose is a bit large for my taste, but that's just a personal preference thing. Other than that she's stunning! :)

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

So this is the white make up anagennesis.  Its lighter than the non anagennesis.  I actually like them both ways but I am not sure if that was your intentions.  Its not as intense.  I know that anagennesis can do some odd things sometimes.  The intensity for all the other make ups seems to be fine, its just the white one so far.

KAHU LIE MAKE UP ANAGENNESIS TEST 2.png
    988 x 1600 - 3M
  • Very nice! I noticed it was a bit lighter myself and wondered if it was just me.  We'll see what Daz says about it; if they don't like the difference, I'll go back in and re-adjust as needed.  Thank you for this!

• another Sol render!

• Actually did a respectable render of her, too. ;) 

Beautiful work! She's lovely! Her nose is a bit large for my taste, but that's just a personal preference thing. Other than that she's stunning! :)

Thank you very much!

edited February 2017

Love it Darwin! Clever to use the letter lights, and the purple hair and outfit looks great on her! There's almost a Tim Burton feel here with the colors and stripes, and she's rocking it! 

Post edited by Llynara on
  • Thank you!  It was fun to do- I saw the Marquee lights and thought they'd be perfect for promos.  Not all of them of course, but here and there as I do characters would be a nice bit of variety and Sol called for it. lol  Doing one of Sol and Diesel together atm.  That one is already titled Double Trouble....but then I have to go onto the real promos for her. 

• She looks great and I'm looking forward to her release :) 

• Thank you...I probably should stop spamming.  lol  After the last render, promise.  Gonna work on Evan as well.  Just fixed the roughness of that nose (hopefully), but I have to wait (maybe-I may be able to use a second Studio to check) until this render finishes.

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,087
    edited February 2017

New Spam!

Lightened the skin tones and fixed his nose tip area maps.  The area that is bothering me now is the area along his jaw and lower cheeks-too much of a difference of color tones.  Checking the base map atm, and if that's noticable there, will be re-tweaking those areas as well.  Soon as I'm happy with the coloring all over, then I'll migrate to seams.  Need those done before doing the fun stuff!  Like tattoos.  Eyes.  Maybe cerimonial make up (because every elf needs to look his best while dreading ceramonies)

Post edited by DarwinsMishap on
  • Didn't bother to let this go over 30%- the issues are on this set as well.  So, it's Photoshop I go.

This discussion has been closed.