Darwins' Schtuff

Comments

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I like it!  Very nice, indeed!

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,087

Thank you!

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,459

Okay... Color me surprised, but I didn't realize the Aryan/Persian race was misinterpreted as a Nordic Aryan master race promoted by a certain historic figure. I was wondering about the spelling, thinking they were two entirely different peoples, googled it, and felt foolish. Learn something new every day. 

Yup-it is also one of the listed "Top Ten" male names when I goggled Indian Male Names and their meanings. lol  Sometimes, you inadvertantly learn things even when you don't mean to!

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Gorgeous! I love Diesel! And your new guy is looking mighty fine too.

Yep! Just learned something new again from your post! I was looking at it from the Persian race standpoint. Checking as a popular baby name I'm seeing: "Noble one, ancient, warrior, kind, honorable."  Awesome meanings; gotta love the power of names. And gotta love learning new things. It's gonna be a good day. :)

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,868
    edited March 2017

So- something struck me with this idea-I found photos of Akshay and another that I liked and blended the two facial features into a new guy- Aryan.  I'm doing a tester on the base skin already and will post the face up. Haven't done the body morphs yet.

The new guy looks very promising!

I will say that, given both history and the world today, the name makes me twitch a bit, even though I knew how it had been misappropriated and that it's a personal name used today. Hopefully that's just me. (I would still probably spell it with a J, though, even though that's a different name. Again, that's just me, and it wouldn't stop me from buying him, since I do know what's going on. I do think that, in order to keep many people from reacting badly, you're going to need to unpack that name and its origin in your product page text.)

Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited March 2017

I actually found some comments on where folks to whom that name means good things are frustrated because the west made it a hate word. I saw a few cautioning against the use of it, but most were like, "this is our culture, our name, it means good things. Open-minded people should get it."

Most folks commenting on one thread said they'd never had a problem, even in American. Of course, where it's a cultural name, you wouldn't have a problem. That said, Arianna is a name based on Aryan, and no one would have a problem with that.

I think we should respect the culture and the meaning of the name and not let racists make us avoid it out of fear. It lets them win. Just include an explanation, so folks know the origin and meaning in the character description. We'll all keep learning new things. That's my 2 cents.

Post edited by firewarden on

I may just do that- thank you.

Working on Rory again.  I re-did his facial morphs and slapped Evan's skin on him for now.  The head and body moprhs will be custom, with a secondary set to add G3M morph pack dials.

This is his new face: 

I'll post the body shot when it's finished. :)

And one more "fun" render-Evan being a showman.  

Oh, that's cute! I really like the POV. Very creative!

Thanks!  Now, it's off for promos. lol

• FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883

Rory looks great. 

I like Evan as a showman. Very creative.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

Some amazing renders there Darwin!!!

Evan is looking great as a showman!!!

Very nice. And the hat is pretty cool, too! :)

edited March 2017

Here is a quick and dirty render of Mr. Evan Almighty

Not sure if I am doing him any justice here but it is just a quick render only went to 93% in IRay.

Evan Almighty IRay.png
    875 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on

I like it!  Kinda like he's going......."Who the heck planted these and why??"  lol 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

He's got great looking legs.  And biceps...Nice job Sapphire.  He's welcome to come garden at my house lol.

Looking good Saphire, he can come take care of my garden anytime.

New Evan renders:

and a crappy Diesel render- it went 10 hours, but with the air volume box, it just didn't clear:

Gorgeous. So glad your guys have such distinctive faces!

Excellent images. Love the versatility of your guys.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874

Evan looks intense and will be a great addition to your line of characters! Well done.

Thank you so very much.  I'll post another-I'm going through ideas for the main promo, so there may be a few.  Wanna try for a distinctive main promo, then do the studio lighting for the rest.

That sounds like a very good approach, Darwin, though all your promos are top notch. I know you put a lot of work into them, and it shows. They are some of the best I've seen.

Thank you!!  I never see them as top notch, but as room for improvement.  I have a couple here-working on ideas, but am going to have to get to the studio renders.

Very nice. :)

Thankee. :)

edited March 2017

They are all very good! There is something strong but fragile in his face, that makes him very approachable and lovable. You did a wonderful job giving him personality. The scars are great too. I'm sure you're doing promos without scars as well. He looks amazing either way! 

Post edited by Llynara on
    edited March 2017

Another view of Evan!! Evan At Home Telling Stories!! It is a W.I.P right now till tomorrow when I finish it up.

Evan At Home Telling Stories.png
    1500 x 927 - 3M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
This discussion has been closed.