PC+ sale here now, any must-buys for Cararra? The Wrap-up and unfinished business

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    rk66 said:

@mindsong

@UnifiedBrain

Look here: http://carraracafe.com/downloads/?did=43

Category is online now, but currently no files for download. With Kirk´s permission I could put this shaders collection at CarraraCafe for download.

rk, always on top of things! ;)

You ROCK, Man!!! Thanks!

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Here is something my daughter did with some of Phils ships.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited November 2016
    rk66 said:

@mindsong

@UnifiedBrain

Category is online now, but currently no files for download. With Kirk´s permission I could put this shaders collection at CarraraCafe for download.

Hi rk66, mindsong is the one to talk to.  Please send mindsong a PM with your offer/suggestion.

And thanks again to you for coming up with Kirk's web address.  It turns out he is a generous man.  All I had to do was ask, and he said yes immediately.

Speaking of shaders, Rebecca's entire shader set - including a new one - is coming soon, free for all.  She volunteered all this before I even asked her!

Now, pardon my ignorance.  You folks in the Carrara community are probably used to all of this good will and generosity.  It's still a little new and wonderful to me.

For a prime example, have you looked at the volunteer effort in the animation thread lately?  Or the tips in the WIP thread?  There are special people here.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Here is something my daughter did with some of Phils ships.

Click to see the video

Very nice! HMS Fairborne is an awesome ship. Great for getting whole colonies from one system to another ;)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

..HI UB :)

The concept of culling content and artists who don't sell much ,.makes sense from a business admin perspective,. but doesn't seems to make much sense in the online world,. since these are virtual products and don't require packaging, transport, warehousing etc... it should be possible to have an almost infinite number of products listed to sell, in virtual retailing.

it may have more to do with database limits than hard drive space,. ... I dunno.

Personally,. I'm ok with not selling stuff,. but it would have been "nice" to have been notified of the change, by the retailer.

common courtesy notice: we're closing your store, for the following reasons....

Also,. because of this subtle difference between Carrara and the other programs available here,. (it's a creation tool)  it's used by people who want to create their own things,

there's less of a market for selling stuff they can make themselves. this is partly why there's is an emphasis on making DS versions of any carrara product,. increase sales.

I'm glad you've found the animation group threads,. maybe you'll get involved,. it's a good way to learn stuff. :)

Hopefully, over time, the group will also generate a bunch of free resources, models, shaders, animations, etc.. which can be used by all carrara users, as well as helping people to learn animation and modeling in Carrara.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

I think the "Carrara users can create their own stuff and therefore don't buy (as much) content" was disproved by the other thread where it is apparent that Carrara users have sometimes huge libraries of content.  I make my own stuff, but also buy content where I find something that either I couldn't easily make myself, or it is cheap enough for me to think that it would not be worth the effort of making my own.  Also I think that the average Carrara user is more dedicated to 3D than the average Daz Studio user, many of whom will probably be fairly casual users (I know there are dedicated DS users too before I get called out!).

But yes, the retailer should at least notify you and give you some warning.

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited November 2016

from march 2011, when I started to become a vendor, to march 2016 I sold almost 1000 pieces of my products, if I recall more than 970 more precisely, so I think it's not completely  about selling, but kind of market policy to avoid for example similar products or technical issues with DIM or products not easy to use or many more reasons known only at daz. As a matter of facts we have very few products for carrara only, and most of all they aren't being featured or advertised appropriately; this may cause indifference by many PAs over carrara; if you plan to renew interest toward a product like carrara, commercially speaking, you must act as opposed to what daz does, making random discounts without any logics other than profit imho

Post edited by magaremoto on
    3DAGE said:

..HI UB :)

The concept of culling content and artists who don't sell much ,.makes sense from a business admin perspective,. but doesn't seems to make much sense in the online world,. since these are virtual products and don't require packaging, transport, warehousing etc... it should be possible to have an almost infinite number of products listed to sell, in virtual retailing.

it may have more to do with database limits than hard drive space,. ... I dunno.

Personally,. I'm ok with not selling stuff,. but it would have been "nice" to have been notified of the change, by the retailer.

common courtesy notice: we're closing your store, for the following reasons....

Also,. because of this subtle difference between Carrara and the other programs available here,. (it's a creation tool)  it's used by people who want to create their own things,

there's less of a market for selling stuff they can make themselves. this is partly why there's is an emphasis on making DS versions of any carrara product,. increase sales.

I'm glad you've found the animation group threads,. maybe you'll get involved,. it's a good way to learn stuff. :)

Hopefully, over time, the group will also generate a bunch of free resources, models, shaders, animations, etc.. which can be used by all carrara users, as well as helping people to learn animation and modeling in Carrara.

Well, their PA newsletter mentioned all of this for many months before it actually happened to you guys - probably more like a year or more. In that, they also said that any culled PA can absolutely be reinstated by contacting you know who.

I'm not sure how much can be discussed publicly, but I'm never good at explaining this sort of stuff anyways.

I'm still fairly new, so I get a bit of a buzz when I get those newsletters, so I look forward to them and read them. But fact remain s that I better get my tail in gear or get off the pot!

from march 2011, when I started to become a vendor, to march 2016 I sold almost 1000 pieces of my products, if I recall more than 970 more precisely, so I think it's not completely  about selling, but kind of market policy to avoid for example similar products or technical issues with DIM or products not easy to use or many more reasons known only at daz. As a matter of facts we have very few products for carrara only, and most of all they aren't being featured or advertised appropriately; this may cause indifference by many PAs over carrara; if you plan to renew interest toward a product like carrara, commercially speaking, you must act as opposed to what daz does, making random discounts without any logics other than profit imho

It's more about whether we've made anyhting new 'this'* year and, if not, did we sell over a specified total dollar amount. I guess they had to come up with some kind of base to go on. I hope they stop it, though... Like you and Phil and 3DAGE have said, what could it hurt keeping these things in the store?

I'm happy to contact the boss on anyone's account. Just pop me a PM - I'll help in any way that I can. Truly. It broke my heart to see you guys get culled. I didn't collect nearly enough stuff before it happened. DesertDude, too - used to have shaders sets for sale here.

very kind of you DB, but everything comes to an end sooner or later, I did what in my possibilities to help carrara grow up, so no regret in me

very kind of you DB, but everything comes to an end sooner or later, I did what in my possibilities to help carrara grow up, so no regret in me

I love the beach kit! Such a cool exploration in Carrara scene creation, making effects (like the wet sand effect) etc.,

Are you going to make them all available at the other store? Is it still there? I can't find it

edited November 2016

I also have some of your shader packs. Man, I miss having these options available.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited November 2016

Thanks 3DAGE and magaremoto for your responses about the culling issue.  It does seem rude that they didn't send you a personal  email prior to closing your stores, but it also sounds like they sent some general warnings in the PA newsletters.  Maybe you didn't get the newsletter?

It's more about whether we've made anyhting new 'this'* year and, if not, did we sell over a specified total dollar amount. I guess they had to come up with some kind of base to go on.

Ah, that is pretty clear.  I may be annoyed by their policy from a consumer point of view, but if they tell you the policy in advance, then you must know what you're agreeing to, right?

I'm not sure how much can be discussed publicly, but I'm never good at explaining this sort of stuff anyways.

Actually Dart, you are very clear and evenhanded.

I'm still fairly new, so I get a bit of a buzz when I get those newsletters, so I look forward to them and read them. But fact remain s that I better get my tail in gear or get off the pot!

I asked this on another thread, but have any of you PA's (past or present) considered making IRAY versions of your products, and still include a Carrara version?  That way, you can enjoy a greater income and we consumers can stop worring about Carrara artists being culled.

Are there other PA's besides Tango Alpha doing this already?

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

I asked this on another thread, but have any of you PA's (past or present) considered making IRAY versions of your products, and still include a Carrara version?

I continue to try, here and there. The hardest part for me is that Daz Studio is so incredibly alien to me. Only so much time in a day and I prefer Carrara so much that it's like an experiment in self-torture when I try making things for Studio.

My Animation Kits have Daz Studio, Poser and Carrara versions.

I never really sought out to become a vendor. Starry Sky was my answer to me not wanting to using background images for stars. The unique result is that my stars now twinkle, unlike those made using maps - even though we could 'make' them twinkle in Post, Starry Sky stars twinkle naturally as they become too far from the camera vs how the camera and render settings are set up.

After creating the system in a very crude manner, I decided to clean it up so that I had my own "Product"-like device in my browser for myself. By the time I was done, I had a really great beta tester - and I was his beta tester for his render farm services.

I read through all of the material on becoming a Daz3d PA and submitted Starry Sky for Carrara as a product. I was nervous!

After not hearing from them for over a week, I sent them a nasty-gram warning them not to try and give this to one of their own artists, since I've placed an Adobe Signature Time Stamp on it with My Name!

I got a cool reply from them! I've been a happy Daz3d PA ever since. But I buy a LOT more than I make, that's for sure!

To anyone whom has ever bought any of my products, I thank you - truly and sincerely. I am truly honored!

Dartanbeck

PS

I've been working hard on many things - some of them are potential products. You'll see more from me hopefully soon ;)
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Are there other PA's besides Tango Alpha doing this already?

I have made DS versions of stuff available in the past where it was possible to do so (most notably my Bright Eyes products and Eye Surface for Genesis), but most of my stuff to date has been pretty Carrara specific - as are the training videos that I will submitting soon! But in the future I will certainly be considering making DS versions available.

But at the risk of sounding hypocritical, I do like Daz Studio and am very proud of Daz3d for what they've grown it to be - and then also commend them for their decision to make it available for free!

I just keep having a hard time trying to get anything done in it since I get so busy trying to figure out how it all works - beyond just the basics.

So while I do have some plans to make some stuff for DS, I'm hoping that they'll let me continue to mostly be Carrara-centric with my releases.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

It's not an "Iray version of a carrara set". There'a a Carrara set, and a DS set. Completely separate entities. The DS set comes in two versions, one for 3Delight and one for Iray. If you take the modelling, and making texture sheets (photography, 3d painting, photoshop work etc) out of the equation -- they are common to everything and have to be done regardless -- on that basis another shader set is a comparatively small overhead in the grand scheme of things. But se sets of shaders is still 3 times the work, more or less. Every one has to be tweaked and checked, even if they use the same maps. There's no "one setting works for all", since every renderer works differently.

Having said that, I've developed a workflow that seems to work efficiently for me: I start with the Carrara shaders, since painting and texturing the model can highlight mesh issues that need fixing, and if you don't have to go through the export/import cycle each time to check it in DS, that's a lot more efficient. So I only build the DS version once the Carrara shaders are done. Then I copy the textures folder across wholesale. I make every map I think I'm going to need at the outset, even if it won't be used by some renderers - a lot easier than going back to make a missing map later. I'll make the 3Delight set first, since that's the way the models get imported. when that's done, I'll convert to Iray and save out a separate version. Then I'll work through all the shaders again and set those up.

It's more work, but I don't think it's a lot more work, given that many of the steps have to be done anyway. Point being, once I've made the effort of doing a DS version, doing Iray as well is not such a huge overhead (especially once you've done it a few times and got the process finessed). Plus of course, I like selling more stuff! wink

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited November 2016

I want your set TA but payday is still two days away and I am pretty tight at the moment.

I actually did ask Customer support also about Andy's Orange Street back when the undiscussable event occurred but they did not give much info other than it did not sell and I can still download it from my product library.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    ToeJam said:

I want your set TA but payday is still two days away and I am pretty tight at the moment.

I actually did ask Customer support also about Andy's Orange Street back when the undiscussable event occurred but they did not give much info other than it did not sell and I can still download it from my product library.

Anything that was sold remains downloadable whether it remains in the store or not.

DB, I have hundreds of .car files in my repository, all dealing with lighting and shaders mostly; mail me what do you need maybe I can find something right for you

DB, I have hundreds of .car files in my repository, all dealing with lighting and shaders mostly; mail me what do you need maybe I can find something right for you

You used to sell a Rain product among others... I'm not finding them anymore.

• It's more work, but I don't think it's a lot more work, given that many of the steps have to be done anyway. Point being, once I've made the effort of doing a DS version, doing Iray as well is not such a huge overhead (especially once you've done it a few times and got the process finessed)

Tim, thanks for the giving the gist of your workflow!

Your talent is obvious, but I'm equally impressed by your work ethic and attitude.

I think that you will be very successful.

• SileneUK said:

UB, you have a great way of putting things and it's wonderful to read your committed interest and enthusiasm! 

Thanks, Silene!  At this point, it's about all I've got.smiley

3DAGE said:

Ha!  Right now all I would succeed in is clogging up the thread.  If things go well, down the road, it sounds like fun.

(slinks off for yet another PhilW tutorial video)

year 2011 wow you recal correctly; the rain effect was created by using an old volumetric cloud, dunno if it can be visible correctly with every lighting presets.. anyway this is the clip I made to promote the product at rendo

http://iqu.ca/1/?1FB90C2DA61A

gimme your email and I'll be glad to upload it

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

year 2011 wow you recal correctly; the rain effect was created by using an old volumetric cloud, dunno if it can be visible correctly with every lighting presets.. anyway this is the clip I made to promote the product at rendo

That's rather good (although the link gets a malware alert from my browser)

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited November 2016
    rk66 said:

@mindsong

@UnifiedBrain

acknowledged! and thanks for the info!

Let me look at it over the Holiday - between real-life and hexagon-based teeth (taking *way* longer than warranted! urg, but hex is pretty durned capable, and fairly stable for what I'm doing - genesis morphs), I'll see if I can bundle the collection up in a way that does the amazing package justice!

And @3DAge, @magaremoto, and @Drawbridgep, sorry to see your stores go, please let me (us) know if you publish elsewhere! (and @drawbridge - welcome back - I feel like I know you - from reading the archives!)

also - that teaches me to grab-as-grab-can, which is probably a good sales technique... Lord knows how may items I got in the Old DazStudio 'Vault' sale... heh...

--ms

(ETA a few tidbits...)

Post edited by mindsong on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited November 2016
    3DAGE said:

BTW, @unifiedbrain (and everyone else!) - Save some Xmas funds for @philw's upcoming Carrara animation tutorials! I know they're coming...

cheers,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on

That's rather good (although the link gets a malware alert from my browser)

well, it's only a trick that fools the eyes but if you add particles that simulate drops bouncng onto the ground the effect can be likely

Sent magaremoto a PM

delivered right now laugh