Post Your Renders like it's the year 2020!!!

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited April 2018

Great description, 3DAge.  Even better render.

Here is more Edie 8 in Carrara with a custom VWD fairy godmother robe.

more edie 8.png
    600 x 800 - 191K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited April 2018

thanks Diomede :) 

I just remembered,.

I changed some things

skyrim favela.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

eeeek!

A new species of ant which can detonate its body when threatened has been discovered by scientists. A research team from Austria, Thailand and Malaysia found the insects, Colobopsis explodens, in the rain forest in Borneo.

OMG!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    edited April 2018

used Selina's tumbleweed smiley

Tumbleweeds.jpg
    800 x 600 - 476K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • LotharenLotharen Posts: 282

Sometimes when I hit a virtual 3D writer's block, I will render a pin-up style picture. I don't know why, but doing a simpler scene, and playing around with a smaller (although sometimes more compex) amount of shaders/textures, and lighting will break through the block. This render was done when I needed a break from my bridge scene.

The sheer fabric used the map used in the alpha channel in the transparency channel, although I had to use the invert color option. I used it there because I wanted some very minor refraction, Freznel and in-scattering. I think the overall look was worth it. I also used some translucency, though I used that more in the more opaque parts of the fabric.

For the skin texture, I used some image maps from the Reby Sky elite textures- not for the main skin color or highlights, but instead I used the maps that were meant to drive the SSS look in Studio or Poser. Now, you can't use those maps in Carrara's SS channel, as it doesn't accept maps. Instead, I used the color map for the SSS, and multiplied it with greyscale map that looks as if it is supposed to work with the color SSS map in the glow channel. I turned both down to 60% brightness.

I will attach the raw render from Carrara, and the postwarked version using Affinity Photo (a great alternative to Photoshop).

Click image for bigly size.

I have been looking at Affinity Photo as a means to dump PS. I really like the results you got with that. Just out of curosity what did you do to the post worked image other than add a background and adjusting brightness/contrast? 

Looks like AP can also use PS plugins too? Might be reading that wrong though....but if sooo! I'm on board!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

I don't want to derail your question, which is a good one.  I just want to add, the background and brightness/contrast can be done in Carrara rather easily without postwork.  The free G'MIC plugin can handle most basic PS adjustments.  Of course, if you are a Mac user, then G'MIC is not yet available.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    Lotharen said:

Sometimes when I hit a virtual 3D writer's block, I will render a pin-up style picture. I don't know why, but doing a simpler scene, and playing around with a smaller (although sometimes more compex) amount of shaders/textures, and lighting will break through the block. This render was done when I needed a break from my bridge scene.

The sheer fabric used the map used in the alpha channel in the transparency channel, although I had to use the invert color option. I used it there because I wanted some very minor refraction, Freznel and in-scattering. I think the overall look was worth it. I also used some translucency, though I used that more in the more opaque parts of the fabric.

For the skin texture, I used some image maps from the Reby Sky elite textures- not for the main skin color or highlights, but instead I used the maps that were meant to drive the SSS look in Studio or Poser. Now, you can't use those maps in Carrara's SS channel, as it doesn't accept maps. Instead, I used the color map for the SSS, and multiplied it with greyscale map that looks as if it is supposed to work with the color SSS map in the glow channel. I turned both down to 60% brightness.

I will attach the raw render from Carrara, and the postwarked version using Affinity Photo (a great alternative to Photoshop).

I have been looking at Affinity Photo as a means to dump PS. I really like the results you got with that. Just out of curosity what did you do to the post worked image other than add a background and adjusting brightness/contrast? 

Looks like AP can also use PS plugins too? Might be reading that wrong though....but if sooo! I'm on board!

I used a depth pass for DOF, I also played around with the refraction, reflection, glow, and a few others. I didn't really use those much as the effects were pretty close to what I wanted. Affinity can use also open Photoshop files ans .pdf files.

The interface has some similarities, but also some significant differences that require some getting used to and require a learning curve. I'm still pretty new to it, so I don't know if I can describe particular examples very well, especially since my old version of Photosop was CS2.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited May 2018

The April theme for the PC contest was pretty dark.  It focused on the novel, 1984.  The theme was "It was a bright, cold day in April.." from the book.  My entry split the difference between 1984 and 1793.  It was a bright cold morning in Paris, Texas, 1893..."  If you look at the entries you can see that Laura Ingells is accused of being a hoarder.  Couldn't stay too dark.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    Diomede said:

The April theme for the PC contest was pretty dark.  It focused on the novel, 1984.  The theme was "It was a bright, cold day in April.." from the book.  My entry split the difference between 1984 and 1793.  It was a bright cold morning in Paris, Texas, 1893..."  If you look at the entries you can see that Laura Ingells is accused of being a hoarder.  Couldn't stay too dark.

nice and gloomy, I started listening to 1984 on my way to work last year ... too depressing :)

detail of an image I am working up for a show in august - the image will be 90 by 120 cm if I can afford to get it printed and framed! - it will be shown at Maitland Regional Art Gallery 

this detail is pretty big if you want to click

Image may contain: 1 person

• head wax said:

detail of an image I am working up for a show in august...

I'm loving it already !

Like the hearts and spades around the head suggesting a good and dark side to your character ?

Selina

Selina said:
    head wax said:

detail of an image I am working up for a show in august...

I'm loving it already !

Like the hearts and spades around the head suggesting a good and dark side to your character ?

Thank you! Yes it's like a playing card - the dark witch is upside down - she has a crow in her hand but is almost the exact reflection of the top witch - the good witch has a weird dove thing in her hands - a topnotch dove

Selina said:

Selina

wonderful things Andrew , ..as always. :)

just a bit of a messing around with stuff that didn't quite work out as planned,. but i got a couple of nice things out of it, and learned some stuff, which is always a reward.

also wanted to thank EvilProducer for spot-lighting Affinity Photo,. which i picked up at the weekend,. great little photo editor with some really nice features for hdr and pano stitching.

it doesn't support all photoshop plugins yet,. but it's only version  1.6  ,. so ,. early days, maybe that'll improve.

for the price,. wow, ..and no sub. :)

Thanks EP :)

waterflower 1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 341K
    waterflower 2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 230K
    3DAGE said:

just a bit of a messing around with stuff that didn't quite work out as planned,. but i got a couple of nice things out of it, and learned some stuff, which is always a reward.

also wanted to thank EvilProducer for spot-lighting Affinity Photo,. which i picked up at the weekend,. great little photo editor with some really nice features for hdr and pano stitching.

it doesn't support all photoshop plugins yet,. but it's only version  1.6  ,. so ,. early days, maybe that'll improve.

You are most welcome! I love the no subscription model! There are some really cool youtube tutorials on how to use some of it's more powerful and cool features. I have only looked at a couple so far.

3DAGE said:

Very nice work by the way.

3DAGE said:

Thank you Andy. Love the delicate plants and the subtle moisture dew. The plants look almolst glass like. So what did you learn?

edited May 2018

The plants are glass/watery stuff,. i was inspired by some houdini tutorials to see what carrara could do

I learned that surface replicators don't play nice with modifiers such as bend / twist

they work ok with morphs, but in this case (flower petals opening)  morphs don't arc,. the bend/twist modifier works correctly but i can't get the surface replicated droplets to follow the animation. they just hang in space as the petal opens

Blurry hdr's work really well for fast background rendering,. and makes low file size clips,. this 10sec clip was 1.9mb as mp4

original mp4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rlzxlkguux6hrtl/waterflower.mp4?dl=0

Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited May 2018
    3DAGE said:

The plants are glass/watery stuff,. i was inspired by some houdini tutorials to see what carrara could do

I learned that surface replicators don't play nice with modifiers such as bend / twist

they work ok with morphs, but in this case (flower petals opening)  morphs don't arc,. the bend/twist modifier works correctly but i can't get the surface replicated droplets to follow the animation. they just hang in space as the petal opens

Blurry hdr's work really well for fast background rendering,. and makes low file size clips,. this 10sec clip was 1.9mb as mp4

original mp4

Thanks for posting, 3DAGE.  To me, that is a terrific animation, a real expansion of the possibilities.  I keep seeing cartoon-style animations being posted here, which are nice, but I wonder why people don't experment with a more impressionistic style, as you did.  Carrara certainly seems to have the tools.

I need to put my money where my mouth is.  I started animation recently, and it is pretty daunting.:)

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • @3DAGE

Love the opening flower animation... simple, but elegant !

Selina

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited May 2018

Beautiful work 3DAGE!
    Would rigging the petals with bones work? Just thinking out loud.
    Thanks for sharing 

Edited to add:

I tried a quick test with a leaf with several sections, added bones and an IK chain which went from end to end.
    I also tried a series of morphs...I think in general 3D lingo that may called a 'non linear morph'?...and that worked as well but it's a total 'brute force' approach. Maybe take screen grabs from an isometric view and load those into the vertex room and adjust the vertices for each morph to create a smooth morph?

I'm tired now, lol.

Post edited by DesertDude on

Thanks all :)

Desert dude,. thats' a Doh! moment,. why didn't i think of that,. ..i guess that's what comes of following a tut :)

UB :)  animation can be really simple, like using modifiers or morph's,. or pretty complex for physical motion, it can be daunting but it's also really interesting to break down motion and analyse the "simple" stuff we don't really think about ,. like walking,. (falling with grace)  it's interesting to see how we don't actually walk in a straight line and our feet aren't always in the same position with each step.

Anyone studying/learning animation should study the huge legacy of work left by Eadweard Muybridge.

great reference material for animal and human motion

3DAGE said:

Thanks all :)

Desert dude,. thats' a Doh! moment,. why didn't i think of that,. ..i guess that's what comes of following a tut :)

UB :)  animation can be really simple, like using modifiers or morph's,. or pretty complex for physical motion, it can be daunting but it's also really interesting to break down motion and analyse the "simple" stuff we don't really think about ,. like walking,. (falling with grace)  it's interesting to see how we don't actually walk in a straight line and our feet aren't always in the same position with each step.

Anyone studying/learning animation should study the huge legacy of work left by Eadweard Muybridge.

great reference material for animal and human motion

And of course, bone joiunts aren't just constrained to bending. There are many ways to translate that joint. If you had a dense mesh you could use a shaft or slider to stretch out the length of the joint.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    3DAGE said:

original mp4

heart

lovely !

the lovely country ford set. 

another  country ford render in my pc club May entry  link

countryford.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M

fun with autofit.

v4's technotabby on david 5. devilangel 

david needs his own high heels.  didnt even try to autofit boots

Doc6.png
    1000 x 1500 - 1M
    Doc9.png
    1000 x 1500 - 1M
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    Mistara said:

Hmm. Something looks like it's gone wrong with the hawthorn trees in the linked render. Looks like it's not loaded in the correct leaf models. I'll investigate and see if it's a problem with the distribution (sometimes they manage to put things in the wrong place...)

edited May 2018
    Mistara said:

Hmm. Something looks like it's gone wrong with the hawthorn trees in the linked render. Looks like it's not loaded in the correct leaf models. I'll investigate and see if it's a problem with the distribution (sometimes they manage to put things in the wrong place...)

it' all foliage to me. smiley

i'se about to start to save the individual items to carrara objects. 

khajiit caravan coming thru

Post edited by Mistara on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

I never realised that set had daffodils in it! I made some for a freebie and had some trouble figuring out how I wanted to model it - I could have just added a note saying "Daffodils not included - go get TangoAlphas" and saved myself a lot of time modeling and texturing them. wink

the universe needs more daffodils in it  smiley

dunno why, fretting his beard looks too far fetched.  these 2 pretty much far fetched as it is, beard wont make or break a scene
    honestly, does it look as bad as i think it does?

sigh  is sooo nice carrara ready sets. the shaders, no u-wraps aboo23 worries.

honest truth.png
    900 x 1500 - 2M
    honest truth frogkin.png
    900 x 1500 - 2M
This discussion has been closed.