Post Your Renders like it's the year 2020!!!

Comments

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

As my daughter is in college and taking illustration and concept art currently the first images they did were all grey scale varying from 0% to 100% black so when they color it it looks correct and they then use less colors as the greyscale affects each one and changes it to the required level in photoshop.

So I guess the same thing goes for 3 if you get things right in greyscale then you can adjust the base shaders and it should all work. 

• Freightliner FoxFreightliner Fox Posts: 67
    edited April 2018

This is a frame from a web comic / graphic novel I'm working on. Normally I add my special effects in postwork, but as a fun experiment, I decided to try doing the entire thing in Carrara and creating all of the special effects in Carrara with no postwork. Here's what I ended up with. Straight out of the Carrara Renderer. No postwork.

Post edited by Freightliner Fox on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited April 2018

Lighting - Old Style III

Final experiment - using the Scene Realistic Sky atmosphere to add a gradual fade to the more distant elements. I couldn't use the Fog atmosphere as the hard shadows all disappeared !

With Sky Atmosphere

Without Sky Atmosphere

Selina

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

couldnt resist using 'crystal' shader on the display case.

lil pastry shop

lilpastryshop3.png
    2560 x 1080 - 3M
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

This is a frame from a web comic / graphic novel I'm working on. Normally I add my special effects in postwork, but as a fun experiment, I decided to try doing the entire thing in Carrara and creating all of the special effects in Carrara with no postwork. Here's what I ended up with. Straight out of the Carrara Renderer. No postwork.

Ocean Battle

Awesome, clmoonriver!  I really like the lighting, manes & tails, and the surf is excellent.  Did you model the surf yourself?

Selina said:

Lighting - Old Style III

Final experiment - using the Scene Realistic Sky atmosphere to add a gradual fade to the more distant elements. I couldn't use the Fog atmosphere as the hard shadows all disappeared !

With Sky Atmosphere

Without Sky Atmosphere

Very nice, Selina.  Thanks for posting all of those terrific experiments!

Mistara said:

lil pastry shop

Looks tasty, but I especially like the plant and those great reflections.

• I love working with Black and White :D
    Character: Shazadi
    Figure: Genesis 2

001a2.jpg
    1600 x 1900 - 1M
    001a3.jpg
    1600 x 1900 - 1M
    005a.jpg
    1127 x 1178 - 290K
    006a.jpg
    1600 x 1900 - 664K
    010b.jpg
    1600 x 1900 - 1M
    010c.jpg
    1600 x 1900 - 2M
  • Awesome, clmoonriver!  I really like the lighting, manes & tails, and the surf is excellent.  Did you model the surf yourself?

Thanks! smiley

The surf is actually just a 2D image I bought somewhere. I increased the contrast and converted it to an HDRI, then used it as the background in Carrara and as an HDR for the sky light. Other than the HDR driven sky light, the rest of the lighting is provided by two spot lights and two bulb lights with various effects applied like light cones and glow.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

Ocean Battle

so good.... and so simple to implement... excellent yes

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Mistara said:

lil pastry shop

Looks tasty, but I especially like the plant and those great reflections.

and 0 calories laugh

edited April 2018

More B&W Experiments...

This is a really bad hommage to the Sci-Fi magazine of yesterday that littered my uncle's bedroom. A better hommage would involve NPR perhaps?

Without Sky Atmosphere

With Sky Atmosphere

Video has been improved for hosting on YouTube (now 1280 x 720) and extended. Aliens are Poser LowPoly meshes and the cloak is my first experiment with making clothes in the vertex modler and animated with VWD excellent plugin (new version support GPU - please contact Gérald direct if you want a copy of the beta prior to official release)

And a short video animation for good measure... On a side note, I'm really enjoying my adventure getting to know Carrara a bit better!

Selina

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited April 2018

quick comparison on Indirect Lighting, approximately same render time, needless to say that carrara is the most versatile and tweakable of the threesome; iray use of fresnel reflection, gamma "washing" and great computation of shadows makes its render the most convincing

3delight.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 6M
    carrara.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M
    iray.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by magaremoto on
    edited April 2018

Here's another one I did that doesn't have any postwork. I'm not too happy with the dynamic hair because the strands are obviously too thick for a close up portrait shot like that. But rendering the hair finer than that was going to take about 80 hours or so on my 4 core system. As it is, this one took over 6 hours to render. Hair aside, I'm really happy with how the skin and the eyes turned out. The DOF also left a bit of a harsh line that I'm not happy with, but given the extremely long render time on this one, I'm not too keen on re-rendering it right now. Perhaps after I get that Ryzen Threadripper CPU with 16 cores and 32 threads that I've been drooling over. cheeky

• quick comparison on Indirect Lighting, approximately same render time, needless to say that carrara is the most versatile and tweakable of the threesome; iray use of fresnel reflection, gamma "washing" and great computation of shadows makes its render the most convincing

These all look great! Do you think that with careful shader tweaking, and possibly the use of third party shader plugins such as a falloff shader, it would be possible to duplicate the Iray reflections in Carrara? Or at least get very similar results?

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

well, that's a typical automatic trick of path tracing method as well as great use of gamma correction that washes out a bit all the maps; in carrara you can make blurred fresnel reflections but you can tweak them and have the proper lighting intensity

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    Stezza said:

a fly

that's  man eater Stezza !! noce dof rteally adds something - a sense of macro perhaps

th3Digit said:

the video, probably shared here before as were the renders

different trees to Howies

love your sense of humour Wendy

Selina said:

Lighting - Old Style !

Some of the painting Masters of yesteryear started their epic works in black and white... I thought I'd do the same as an exercise !

The basic compostion with one direct light, two Poser manequins, one Poser stepped pyramid and a ground plane modified to add interest... Soft shadow and Camera depth of field too !

..now with indirect lighting (125%) and skylight (100%) using a bi-gradient in the Scene tab consisting of light grey (35%) through mid grey (65%) to black (100%) with basic ambient lighting set to 0%

Pyramic textured with a basic procedural shader consisting of a colour mixture with added 'Anything Goos' plug in and a bump mixture. The plane and manequins textured with Philmot's PBR plugin and texture maps tweeked by adjusting the tiling setting to achieve a believable result on the plane and changing the manequins' shader to cylindrical projections and altering the size as necessary...

This is a work in progress... and I would also like to thank magaremoto as a source of inspiration for my journey into lighting. I think I shall adopt the 'work in B&W first' approach it seems to add something... what do you think?

Selina

Great idea, !! next step may be Verdaccio for when you get to humans

quick comparison on Indirect Lighting, approximately same render time, needless to say that carrara is the most versatile and tweakable of the threesome; iray use of fresnel reflection, gamma "washing" and great computation of shadows makes its render the most convincing

love your methodology and your intelligent approach

Here's another one I did that doesn't have any postwork. I'm not too happy with the dynamic hair because the strands are obviously too thick for a close up portrait shot like that. But rendering the hair finer than that was going to take about 80 hours or so on my 4 core system. As it is, this one took over 6 hours to render. Hair aside, I'm really happy with how the skin and the eyes turned out. The DOF also left a bit of a harsh line that I'm not happy with, but given the extremely long render time on this one, I'm not too keen on re-rendering it right now. Perhaps after I get that Ryzen Threadripper CPU with 16 cores and 32 threads that I've been drooling over. cheeky

skin looks beautiful

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited April 2018

Sorry ot ;)

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited April 2018

Colour - Impressionist Style

• Impressionist were tired of the way that academic painters created the effect of light by the use of light and dark tones. The dark tones in the shadows often deadened the painting, indicated the absence of light and color.
    • They saw light and color everywhere, even in the darkest of shadows, which they frequently painted with blues and purples rather than by adding black.

Quoted from : http://alpha.fdu.edu/~bisbing/impressexpress.html

image image image
    image image image

By using Scene:Background:BiGradient and setting the Start Sky colour to the compliment of the key light (ie Red/Cyan; Green/Magenta; Blue/Yellow) you can introduce colour into your shadows 'Impressionist' style... Don't forget to turn on GI and make sure the Sky Light Intensity is equal to the key lights' brightness setting as a starting point!

I apologise if I'm teaching old dogs to suck eggs here! smiley

Selina

GI_cShadow_01.png
    640 x 480 - 164K
    GI_cShadow_02.png
    640 x 480 - 167K
    GI_cShadow_03.png
    640 x 480 - 167K
    GI_cShadow_04.png
    640 x 480 - 162K
    GI_cShadow_05.png
    640 x 480 - 168K
    GI_cShadow_06.png
    640 x 480 - 166K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Great, please teach me more!  

Let the old egg suckers suck their eggs.  laugh

Unfortunately, your images do not appear on my screen.

post not showing images.JPG
    1345 x 372 - 70K
  • Diomede said:

Unfortunately, your images do not appear on my screen...

Really? Maybe I was editing when you viewed the post... I added some disgusting borders for good measure - LOL !

Selina

I dont see them either and when I click on them I get page not found.

• I dont see them either and when I click on them I get page not found.

Try now, please...

Now I see them thanks.

• Now I see them thanks.

Thanks for coming back and letting me know smiley

As it is, this one took over 6 hours to render. Hair aside, I'm really happy with how the skin and the eyes turned out. The DOF also left a bit of a harsh line that I'm not happy with, but given the extremely long render time on this one, I'm not too keen on re-rendering it right now. Perhaps after I get that Ryzen Threadripper CPU with 16 cores and 32 threads that I've been drooling over. cheeky

Wow, 6 hours is forever for me.  I don't do many super-intensive scenes.  My longest render to date has been about 1.5 hours.

What setting were you using?  The render looked nice, but I wonder if there is a way to get the same skin effect without the wait time.  I'm finding that a combination of HDRI and GMIC can work wonders.

I'm using 4 cores as well, and only an i5, so I'm right there with you in drooling over the threadripper.  Would love a report, if someone in the Carrara world gets one.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    Selina said:

Now I see them thanks.

Thanks for coming back and letting me know smiley

I see them now also

• Diomede said:

I see them now also

I hope they were worth the wait - ROFL !

edited April 2018

Wow, 6 hours is forever for me.  I don't do many super-intensive scenes.  My longest render to date has been about 1.5 hours.

What setting were you using?  The render looked nice, but I wonder if there is a way to get the same skin effect without the wait time.  I'm finding that a combination of HDRI and GMIC can work wonders.

The skin wasn't the problem. The problem was the dynamic hair which was taking forever to render. I had to stop the first render after letting it run for about 30 hours and it becoming clear it was going to take at least another 60 or so hours to finish.To solve that, I increased the scale of the hair and decreased the total hair count. That got the render done in just over 6 hours, but at the expense of some parts of the hair looking more like straw than actual hair. Without the hair, I could render it in about 30 minutes.

I had the settings pretty high, but not as high as they could go. I tried playing around with lower settings, but I end up with blotchy shadows that close up. The lighting is relatively simple in the scene too. Only a white skylight and a spotlight. Soft shadows on the spotlight were set to best, and the render settings were set to 1 pixel accuracy, and best antialiasing. The skylight quality was set to excellent at four pixels IIRC. Again, anything lower than that and I started getting blotchy shadows.

I was also trying to get rid of some "square lighting artifacts" that are apparent in some parts of her neck and on the bridge of her nose. But after rendering, I realized that probably wasn't a lighting issue, which is why I could never get them to go away. It was probably the fact that the model's mesh wasn't detailed enough for such a close up portrait, so some of the geometry was apparent on the render.

I might have been able to do two renders. One without the hair using very high render settings to avoid the blotchy shadows, and one with the hair at a lower quality since the blotchy shadows wouldn't be apparent in the hair anyway. Then I could have combined the two in Gimp. Maybe I'll try that.

• Since I've gotten a few compliments on the two renders I posted (the only two renders I've ever posted here), I just want to give a shout-out to PhilW. Without his amazing "Learning Carrara" training series, I'd probably still be trying to just figure out how to use the basics of Carrara rather than actually being productive with it. So yeah, thanks Phil, for providing such great training material and helping me to learn about all the things Carrara can do and how I can use them in my own work. smiley

This discussion has been closed.