Post Your Renders like it's the year 2020!!!

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

was using the triangle 1

Howie's Koismiley 
    textures are beautifl.

i think i can rig it to wriggle and flipper,
    not sure what to do for it's jaw. needs some gills movement too

a mini tutorial slide show on converting weight maps,

a mini animation with Mascara and Janna at the end of clip

i set most of the slides at 10 seconds, i think is long enough to read the text ?

a mini-mini on surface replicants and 360 rotation

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    Mystarra said:

i set most of the slides at 10 seconds, i think is long enough to read the text ?

Marvelous video! Thank you ever so much!

• Mystarra said:

I appreciate the effort it took for you to make this.  I'm also sure that it made complete sense to you.  However, after the part about downloading the figure from the Daz server (the very beginning) I was completely lost., sorry.

But please don't take it personally.  I tend to react poorly to video tutorials without voice-overs.  I would be overjoyed if every video tutorial had the author talking me through it step by step - like PhilW and Cripeman - but I know that it won't happen for many reasons.

So, it may be a while before I get Leon into Carrara, much less Janna. Thanks for trying. :)

• Hello again,

I've been busy working in other pursuits such as writing so have not been active on the forum for some time, but still, I click on frequently to see what is currently being discussed.  I'm still using Carrara for illustration and video and love it more than ever.  To help contribute to this thread, I am adding a frame from a video I'm making  for an IBook  - Early Great Lakes Steamboats (1818 to 1830).  The model making in Carrera when combined with figures such as M4 and Gen2, etc. and all the historic clothing available makes creating scenes and videos possible for someone like me who has limited skills and time to create them.  Just wanted to add my appreciation for Carrera and the Forum.

The scene is the First Class cabin of the paddle wheel steamboat Walk in the Water  (1818 to 1821) which operated on Lake Erie when the lake was part of a frontier wilderness.

Ray

Still Cabin.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 112K
  • that looks lovely yes

Mystarra said:

I appreciate the effort it took for you to make this.  I'm also sure that it made complete sense to you.  However, after the part about downloading the figure from the Daz server (the very beginning) I was completely lost., sorry.

But please don't take it personally.  I tend to react poorly to video tutorials without voice-overs.  I would be overjoyed if every video tutorial had the author talking me through it step by step - like PhilW and Cripeman - but I know that it won't happen for many reasons.

So, it may be a while before I get Leon into Carrara, much less Janna. Thanks for trying. :)

its the non dim method 

• Mystarra said:
    Mystarra said:

its the non dim method 

I've installed a bunch of non-Daz 3rd party items in Carrara with success.  DIM is not the issue.  The complexity of the conversion is the issue.

I will figure it out eventually, but I think that a step-by-step voiceover tutorial would help tremendously.  To the best of my knowledge, Dart is the only regular here (outside of Phil) who has ever attempted one.

guess it looks more cpmplex, cuz i showed
    how to add a content folder to ds, 
    and to carrara
    most people prolly use the defaults 

i put a screenshot in the reference thread of the ds menu showing where to find the convert weights.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited December 2019

Hey Misty, that was helpful, thanks.  It nudged me into trying it. :)

Just getting started on the basics, but it looks like Vyusur has created a marvel.

Leon smaller.png
    1650 x 1100 - 1M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

the hardest part is finding the panes again after accidentally close them.
    needs the scene pane and the content pane. 

there's a way to put a toolbar button of the convert rigging.   lost those screenshots  dohh
    needs re doing everytime ds update installed.

• Mystarra said:

the hardest part is finding the panes again after accidentally close them.
    needs the scene pane and the content pane. 

HaHa!  Isn't that the truth?  I used to be very comfortable in DS a few years back, but it really feels clumsy now.  It took me 15 minutes to find the alphabetical content tab a when converting some G3 boots a month or so ago.  This time I went right to it, as I had left it open the last time.  Your screen shot of the rigging>blended menu items was all I really needed.

PhilW was right.  When people (like me for instance) would complain about how hard it was to navigate in Carrara when compared to DS, he would say just the opposite.  It just depends on what you are used to using.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Santa Carrara smiley

• I'd sit on his lap heart

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

I wouldn't lol    wink

might use him in the 50 challenge ... hmmm cool

• Well, like I mentioned in another thread where I asked if getting Carrara for 13$ was worth it: I took the plunge. smiley

Have been messing around with it a bit these last couple of days and reading stuff about it. I thought the first thing I should do is learn to use the shaders properly sooo... I took an Aiko 6 figure and tried my best to fix her shaders. Everything else is untouched, just stuff to make the render less boring and well, have her clothed and with hair xD. Figured I would share it here instead of opening a whole new thread.

After using it a bit, I can totally understand the frustration Carrara veterans have about it being pretty much forgotten by Daz. Having said that, I think I'll stick to Carrara for environments and animations. The majority of my stuff is post Gen2 sooo... it's just easier for me to use DS and 3delight if I want to render with an unbiased engine while being able to use most of my content. Still, I love genesis 2 models like Aiko, Callie, and Lilith, that I have but never used because I don't see the point in DS, having lots of gen3 and gen8 models. So, it felt nice been "forced" to use them here xD

• Well, like I mentioned in another thread where I asked if getting Carrara for 13$ was worth it: I took the plunge. smiley

Have been messing around with it a bit these last couple of days and reading stuff about it. I thought the first thing I should do is learn to use the shaders properly sooo... I took an Aiko 6 figure and tried my best to fix her shaders. Everything else is untouched, just stuff to make the render less boring and well, have her clothed and with hair xD. Figured I would share it here instead of opening a whole new thread.

After using it a bit, I can totally understand the frustration Carrara veterans have about it being pretty much forgotten by Daz. Having said that, I think I'll stick to Carrara for environments and animations. The majority of my stuff is post Gen2 sooo... it's just easier for me to use DS and 3delight if I want to render with an unbiased engine while being able to use most of my content. Still, I love genesis 2 models like Aiko, Callie, and Lilith, that I have but never used because I don't see the point in DS, having lots of gen3 and gen8 models. So, it felt nice been "forced" to use them here xD

nothing wrong with the older content as well as Carrara,

I use it even in DS, tried rendering two dressed haired Genesis 8 figure in DAZ studio yesterday and had to give up as it was impossible to render a frame even 10 iterations with denoiser in under 5 minutes for an animation, the earlier figures especially the generation 3 ones load well in numbers and render fast in DAZ studio as well as Carrara and you can dforce their clothing there too.

I like all my tools and models and hope you enjoy adding Carrara to your tool box too.

• Not saying there is something wrong, and yeah, Carrara is here to stay

But like the tools they are, you want to use the ones best fit for the job, which is why I mentioned I'd stick to Carrara for animations and environments. But for a render like that one, it's just way faster to set the scene up in DS and probably better to use a Gen3 or 8 if you already have them for the superior posing, etc. You mentioned loading Gen3 figures in Carrara goes well, I know it's possible, I saw the threads about getting G3 and G8 in there, but I'm not convinced I'd want to do that. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but loading some stuff in Carrara takes sometimes quite a long time. That hair especially took forever to load and changing anything about it. Even saving the scene takes quite a longer time than I expected (and I'm 83% sure that hair is again the main culprit). Heck, the scene itself it's +400MB compressed. And it's a very simple scene kept strictly to G2 content, so I don't really want to imagine trying to make an animation with G3 figures and content.

Btw, not bashing Carrara, just trying to find its place in my toolbox smiley

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited December 2019

Well, like I mentioned in another thread where I asked if getting Carrara for 13$ was worth it: I took the plunge. smiley

That's pretty well done, especially for a first effort.yes

It used to be easier for me to use DS as well.  But after 3 years of sticking with Carrara, I've got to the point where it is confusing to open DS.  I can do so much more in Carrara.

I'm not sure why you think that it is pointless to use earlier Daz characters.  There are many things I like about the later generations, but at the same time, I still use V1. :)

V1 in Carrara, no postwork.

V1 Still Life.png
    2000 x 1993 - 2M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • That's pretty well done, especially for a first effort.yes

It used to be easier for me to use DS as well.  But after 3 years of sticking with Carrara, I've got to the point where it is confusing to open DS.  I can do so much more in Carrara.

I'm not sure why you think that it is pointless to use earlier Daz characters.  There are many things I like about the later generations, but at the same time, I still use V1. :)

V1 in Carrara, no postwork.

Nice! It definitely adds extra points to Carrara in my mind. Also, thanks, though first reading the manual and some threads around here, and watching some videos probably helped a lot  xD

And yeah, about the figures, I suppose it's a matter of what the aim of the project is and the look you are going for.  Personally, I rarely use a character as it is, I morph them a lot. Also, sometimes I end changing the whole pose and situation I had originally in mind. So I feel I rather use a model with better joints and posing as a starting point, especially if I'm going for more realism. If I wanted to make something, let's say, where I think the Aiko 6 character fits perfectly, or just have a more "videogame" look to it, then yeah, I'd start with a Gen2. So I suppose I should have said, "I don't see the point for me". In Carrara, I do see the point even if I'm not going for a specific Gen2 look because if I'm honest, I rather not go through the hoops to get Gen3 in there. 

• sadly there was as usual some confusion as to which figures I was referring to in my post thanks to DAZ's discombobulated naming convention.

Generation 3 I refered to is V3, A3, M3 etc

the later figures are called genesis 1, 2, 3 & 8

• mazinkaiserzero, thanks for the clarification.  I understand the part about G3 and jumping through extra hoops. :)  I used to make the same argument, but I'm now discovering that it is easier than I originally thought.

As for realism, I also accepted the belief that Carrara's native render engine was not really capable of a biased (realistic) "look," when compared (for example) to IRAY or Octane.  After a lot of experiments and the reading of advice from people with much more experience than myself, I now believe that I was wrong.  The Carrara render engine is capable of incredible realism, in both hard materials and skin, and it isn't really that difficult or time-consuming if you know what to do.  I hope to start a thread on this subject in the near future (we already have a GREAT thread on NPR in Carrara).

Regarding the adjusting of poses and morphs (for realism), my experience is that Carrara is has much better tools than DS.  And those tools are relatively easy to use.

All of that aside, you obviously did your homework before posting.  So, kudos to you.  I'm glad that you took the plunge. :)  I hope you will pardon some of the enthusiasm you encounter here.  We tend to be infatuated with Carrara and all that it does.

• Not saying there is something wrong, and yeah, Carrara is here to stay

But like the tools they are, you want to use the ones best fit for the job, which is why I mentioned I'd stick to Carrara for animations and environments. But for a render like that one, it's just way faster to set the scene up in DS and probably better to use a Gen3 or 8 if you already have them for the superior posing, etc. You mentioned loading Gen3 figures in Carrara goes well, I know it's possible, I saw the threads about getting G3 and G8 in there, but I'm not convinced I'd want to do that. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but loading some stuff in Carrara takes sometimes quite a long time. That hair especially took forever to load and changing anything about it. Even saving the scene takes quite a longer time than I expected (and I'm 83% sure that hair is again the main culprit). Heck, the scene itself it's +400MB compressed. And it's a very simple scene kept strictly to G2 content, so I don't really want to imagine trying to make an animation with G3 figures and content.

Btw, not bashing Carrara, just trying to find its place in my toolbox smiley

Sorry, I missed this post.  Yes, G2 does bloat a ridiculous amount in Carrara.  The problem is too many morphs.  When unnecessary morphs are removed, files get a lot smaller and load and save much quicker..

There is plugin to remove unneeded morphs.  But yeah, it is an extra step, and unless you are totally sold on the greater capabilities of Carrara, for now it is probably easier for you to use G2 in DS.

I'm not 100% sure yet about G3 and G8 file sizes.  They are imported differently in Carrara, and I don't thik they bloat like G2.  So far, mine have not.

Not getting a bash vibe from you at all.  Love your attitude!

• mazinkaiserzeromazinkaiserzero Posts: 184
    edited December 2019

sadly there was as usual some confusion as to which figures I was referring to in my post thanks to DAZ's discombobulated naming convention.

Generation 3 I refered to is V3, A3, M3 etc

the later figures are called genesis 1, 2, 3 & 8

Oh, the difference in "weight" you mentioned makes more sense now. Yeah, I'd imagine those run super fast. 

mazinkaiserzero, thanks for the clarification.  I understand the part about G3 and jumping through extra hoops. :)  I used to make the same argument, but I'm now discovering that it is easier than I originally thought.

As for realism, I also accepted the belief that Carrara's native render engine was not really capable of a biased (realistic) "look," when compared (for example) to IRAY or Octane.  After a lot of experiments and the reading of advice from people with much more experience than myself, I now believe that I was wrong.  The Carrara render engine is capable of incredible realism, in both hard materials and skin, and it isn't really that difficult or time-consuming if you know what to do.  I hope to start a thread on this subject in the near future (we already have a GREAT thread on NPR in Carrara).

Regarding the adjusting of poses and morphs (for realism), my experience is that Carrara is has much better tools than DS.  And those tools are relatively easy to use.

All of that aside, you obviously did your homework before posting.  So, kudos to you.  I'm glad that you took the plunge. :)  I hope you will pardon some of the enthusiasm you encounter here.  We tend to be infatuated with Carrara and all that it does.

Sorry, I missed this post.  Yes, G2 does bloat a ridiculous amount in Carrara.  The problem is too many morphs.  When unnecessary morphs are removed, files get a lot smaller and load and save much quicker..

There is plugin to remove unneeded morphs.  But yeah, it is an extra step, and unless you are totally sold on the greater capabilities of Carrara, for now it is probably easier for you to use G2 in DS.

I'm not 100% sure yet about G3 and G8 file sizes.  They are imported differently in Carrara, and I don't thik they bloat like G2.  So far, mine have not.

Not getting a bash vibe from you at all.  Love your attitude!

Well, I'm not concerned about the rendering engine at all. I started to use DS when Iray was already a thing so I never had to learn it, and because the majority of renders I see are really bad, I also used to think stuff like 3delight was not too good. The ones I liked were very few so I imagined those were people who used really advanced techniques (or not 3delight at all). After being told otherwise, some digging, and my own testing with 3delight and Carrara, I'd say the biggest issue that somehow eludes a lot of people is the use of Gamma Correction, or rather, the lack of use. Mind-blowing, considering how easy it is. Heck, I even found out that 3delight was used in a LOT of films I'd never guessed they did. So, considering Carrara's engine is very similar to 3delight (afaik), it's logical to think pretty amazing stuff can be rendered there too. In fact, and I say this as someone who likes Iray: realism is overrated. It is nice and needed at least in some measure, but in this medium looking good is not necessarily the same as looking real. Even with Iray, you can take some artistic license and still get good looking results.

My issue I think it's more about the rigging and mesh of the figures. In "out of the box" old figures you can see how the bendings get an unnatural rounded "rubber" look very common in old 3d, which is why I tend to associate it with a "videogames look" (also the proportions of the characters). I've only tested as far back as V4.2, and in that one is extra annoying having to go to a specific morph for things like raising the arms so the neck muscles also react to the movement, etc. Little quality of life things like that. But yeah, for animation I understand that kind of thing is the price to pay for, you know, being able to render the animation during one's lifetime xD. 

And well, I guess next time I'll try doing something with G1 or V4.2 in Carrara, see the difference. I reeeaaally don't have much content for those but should help to decide if I'll devote a bit of funding to get extra stuff like that G2 plugin you mentioned (thanks for the tip!)... maybe I'll get The Girl 4 or/and Aiko 4 packs since they are extremely cheap today...

Anyway, too much text from me in a thread for renders! xD (Thanks for all the feedback!)

Post edited by mazinkaiserzero on
  •  

Anyway, too much text from me in a thread for renders! xD

I am guilty as well. :)  The plugin for removing Genesis morphs is free.  But I haven't tried it in G2, so it may only work for G1.  There are a ton of free plugins for Carrara, and we have a few talented gurus who actively continue to develop more.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

another Youtube Audio Library track music video

OK a wee bit of DAZ studio in there too but most of it Carrara Octane plugin

Cool! I Love Ethan M!!!

My latest foray into Carrara's NLA. Everything created and rendered in Carrara. Only post work is I split the timeline into 3 parts so I could add more Carrara motion blur to the figure's twirl, then assembled the three parts in post. Amazed my computer survived because on several occasions I almost punched my fist through the monitor.  devil

Cheers

Fantastic!!! Little dude's got twirling down!!! Bravo!

Awesome Render! Looks just like that Carrara Render Master, Chris Fox!

This discussion has been closed.