Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• mx42bmx42b Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the nice comments.

Red was boring. This time it's a tapered column style B (chrome mat) and each torus has it's own gemstone mat and their corresponding radial lights use the same mat as a gel. There's half a dozen or so star columns and a sphere at the visible end with the low grade diamond mat applied to them.

random0002.png
    836 x 622 - 1M
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@mx: I'd like to see a tutorial about how you did those two images. IMHO they are gorgeous. Nice job.

@Dave: I see you once again have time on your hands to horse around. Fantastic job as usual. Ever though of doing a horse of a different color?

@Horo: Thanks, Horo. I'm very pleased how this one turned out. I did one with 50% reflection and it was much dimmer.

@Jay: Thanks. And yes, I have considered putting radial lights in some of the upper sections. It would be an experiment for me since I'm not sure what settings to use in order for the light to emit toward the inside of the tower. But isn't that what some of working with Bryce is all about?

@Dark Rider: Thank you very much. If you'll go back a few pages you can see the first interior image I posted, which looks like it's filled with water. That image is why I removed the material used on the building and increased reflections to 100% in the Material Lab.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I agree with Guss, they are great. If rendered square you would have a nice Mandala there.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Not leading anyone ashtray.

Ashtray.jpg
    700 x 650 - 364K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Looks a lot better Jamie,

Interesting mx42b...

Bigh where is the ship and also, where are the shadows? The landscape came out very well, I like the use of haze/fog.

Great work as ever Dave, although... if I were to be really picky, I'd say the smoke didn't look quite right - not that it doesn't look like smoke, but it looks like a projection of smoke.

OK, what am I doing here?

Two new tutorials, the first for beginners,

Bryce 25 minute talk - organisation and object selection - a tutorial by David Brinnen

The next for more seasoned users,

Bryce 15 minute scene - quick and dirty photorealism - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Quick_and_dirty_photorealism1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 297K
    edited December 1969

Nice render, just one silly little point, shouldn't the gold stripe be on the filter tip and not on the cigarette paper. They are in the brand I smoke.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

@bigh - did you find any? If yes, would you like to share?

@mx42b - I prefer this one. More colours.

@TheSavage64 - great render. The smoke is fantastic (not agreeing with David here).

@David - reflections looking nice.

• Analog-X64Analog-X64 Posts: 110
    edited December 1969

Excellent posts by everyone, and a few more Tutorials by David that I need to watch :)

edited December 1969

@ David: The smoke is a projection of sorts.
    It's a real photo of smoke applied to a 2D square using the 'Additive' in the mat lab options. Maybe it needs to be more square on to the camera, at the moment it's on a slight angle.

@ Chohole: I think the gold band is brand dependent, but I'm smoking some duty free at the moment, not my own brand and they don't have a gold band at all. Looking on Google images, some are on the filter, some are right on the join between the white and the filter and some are on the white.

edited December 1969

@Dave: Again, really nice image.

@David: Thanks. You once said you have trouble making beginner tutorials, but as of late you've been demonstrating a real talent in producing very concise beginner tutorials. They're all well done. Dragon tutorial was another interesting viewing. Image really looks nice.

edited December 1969

@ David: The smoke is a projection of sorts.
    It's a real photo of smoke applied to a 2D square using the 'Additive' in the mat lab options. Maybe it needs to be more square on to the camera, at the moment it's on a slight angle.

No it's not the angle I don't think, I think it's the additive effect. Hmn... surprisingly difficult to find a photo on google images that doesn't feature a glass ashtray in this setup. But... I think the smoke needs to be higher contrast and transparently applied rather than additiatively.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Nice render, just one silly little point, shouldn't the gold stripe be on the filter tip and not on the cigarette paper. They are in the brand I smoke.

I've actually seen it both ways. Mine have a white ring on the filter, no gold.
  • TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

I was wondering if the smoke was a photoshop brush, there are some that served me well in the War of the Worlds pic i posted earlier... the ashtray looks sweet.

Since Horo liked the Long Patrol pic, here are some more from the series... :D

hardtostarboardwp.jpg
    1330 x 582 - 686K
    Underway2wp.jpg
    1330 x 748 - 1M
    portofcallwp.jpg
    1330 x 748 - 835K
    starshipswp.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 619K
    longpatrol2wp.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 975K
    edited December 1969

TLBKlaus said:
    Since Horo liked the Long Patrol pic, here are some more from the series... :D

Oh, nice renders just for me :)
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jamie,

Impressive renders TLBLlaus!

Another render from me based on the same lighting in the Bryce 15 minute scene - quick and dirty photorealism - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Stanford dragon material from http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro-50-metals-the-heating-room-set

Ground is the water from Bryce 25 minute scene - anisotropic reflection in a landscape - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Quick_and_dirty_photorealism2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 177K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited March 2013

Mx42b...super colours, and very symmetrical finish...how would asymmetrical objects within your polished cylinder look if you put them in, or, putting in symmetrical objects but placing them asymmetrically or obliquely within the cylinder. More unusual effects, I would imagine.?

Savage...cough, cough....snuff said...hahaa ;)

Love the mat on the second drag’, David.

Btw, tried to create a comet and tail(s) without post work – consists of several stretched-out rocks with very, very fuzzy mats applied in different colours.

Comet Pan-STARRS – for us northern observers – will be hitting our skies soon (from 10 Mar onwards in the west just after sunset, so let’s hope it won’t disappoint (said to be bordering on naked-eye views). But the damn clouds, however, are always a threat...fingers crossed, and ever the optimist.

Jay

pan-starrs.jpg
    1458 x 851 - 227K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited March 2013

@ David Brinnen.

This may have been asked before, but I just wondered which program you use to record
    all the tutorials you make. I've tried a few different ones in the past but never had a fast enough
    PC so they were always a bit jerky.

Thanks
    Stuart.

Post edited by StuartB on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

1 shadow

01_shadow.jpg
    800 x 436 - 66K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited March 2013

This is something I just am messing around with I haven't moved her to bryce yet...any comments are welcome and will be helpful....thanks Trish....P.S. got a problem Houston Bryce runs out of memory when I try to save her and the outfit comes out with holes in it.......in not good places......

wip_girl.png
    876 x 860 - 257K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • mx42bmx42b Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the nice comments. I'm glad you liked them.
    @Guss: I wouldn't even begin to know how to go about creating a tutorial for, well, anything. They're not really all that complicated.
    For the red one:The camera is inside of a column style B facing down the central axis of the shaft towards one end. There's a series of toruses spaced out along the column that are just large enough so that their inside radius is partially inside the column. There are radial lights along the columns central axis that are in line with the toruses. A sphere caps the end of the column that the camera is facing and the end behind the camera is capped by a cone. The column has the polished silver mat, the sphere is gold and the cone is etched gold. The toruses and the radial lights all use the ruby 1 mat. Finally there's a sphere in line with the lights that has a radial light inside it both with the same ruby 1 mat. That's really about all there is to it. The multi-colored one is done the same way. So is this one only this time I've used a star column instead of the column style B. I've also used different shapes as endcaps.
    I hope that explanation is helpfull and not as confusing as I fear it may be...

Starcolumn.png
    836 x 622 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@TBLKlaus: Those are really nice images. My only question is which sci-fi books are you reading. The guy standing on the block(?) is especially nice.

@David: Dragon looks nice, as usual. Hope you didn't spend much on it because it looks like someone got their fingers into wet paint on its back.

@Jay: Real nice image.

@bigH: She looks nice. How do you plan to use her?

@bullit: The answer to your question might be in this thread. This is a subject that's come up more than once. BTW, that's not a bad looking figure.

@mx: I copied your post onto Notepad for reference. The type of columns you used are the only objects I'm not familiar with, but I think, I stress think, I can figure them out. The red image looks like an object from an episode of the TV Star Trek, it was used to cure insane people; and miss used. The multi-colored one is especially nice. I've a feeling of looking down an energy tunnel.

edited December 1969

@Jamahoney - Comet looks good. The main tail seems a bit solid to me but the small jets are really very well done.

@StuartB4 - we are using Camtesia to record the videos. A few years back, we tested several recorders but were never satisfied. DAZ also uses Camtesia for their videos. It is not too expensive for what it can do (http://www.techsmith.com/)

@bigh - powdered lady looks nice.

@bullit35744 - pose her in Studio and take her over the bridge. Make your machine LAA if your machine has at least 4 GB of memory.

@mx42b - looks nice again.

edited December 1969

And another in the same vein as Bryce 15 minute scene - quick and dirty photorealism - a tutorial by David Brinnen just changed the aspect ratio and FOV.

On Stanford Dragon something from http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro-50-metals-the-heating-room-set

On the floor something from http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro-50-metals-the-treppenhalle-set

Rendered at HD resolution 1920x1080 so if you want to see it full sized, it should be possible to just click on the image.

Jay, nice work with the comet trails, looks good to me, but I'm no astronomer.

Stuart, as Horo says, Camtasia 7 - I do have 8, but I've yet to learn it.

Bigh - 1 shadow? What is signified?

bullit35744, LAA if you haven't I just made a video only yesterday Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - large address aware - a short video by David Brinnen

mx42b - I really like that one. very nice structure, symmetry and depth. If we are looking down, just need a few tiny figures wandering around on the edges of those balconies.

Jamie, that's good - imperfection is an important part of realism.

Quick_and_dirty_photorealism3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    edited December 1969

thanks guys - just playing around

edited December 1969

This one started life following David's Bryce 15 minute scene - quick and dirty photorealism - a tutorial by David Brinnen but ended up somewhere else... still, it turned out Ok(ish).
    Then I had to play around a bit more and mix it up a bit.

It has raised a question that may have been answered already, but in a scene like this, what is the advantage (if any) of using the Obscure Lighting set up over simply setting up a regular IBL?

LionIBL.jpg
    480 x 600 - 349K
    LionOL.jpg
    480 x 600 - 216K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Thanks very much David and Horo. I will have a look at it.

edited March 2013

Posting a link, and not the actuall images, as this is a contest entry. One of my silly ones.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17981/P45/#271552

Members only forum so you will not see if if not a PC member

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Posting a link, and not the actuall images, as this is a contest entry. One of my silly ones.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17981/P45/#271552

Members only forum so you will not see if if not a PC member

cool render

edited March 2013

thanks

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

It has raised a question that may have been answered already, but in a scene like this, what is the advantage (if any) of using the Obscure Lighting set up over simply setting up a regular IBL?

Cool renders. I think the advantage over pure IBL is that you get light where IB light cannot reach. And there is that subtle colour bleed or reflection which TA provides and IBL cannot.
This discussion has been closed.